View Full Version : New York Pizza & Pasta (Campus Corner) Now in Edmond.

ExtremistPullup
11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Bryant and Second St.

Well its been there for a while didn't see any threads about it and I haven't posted in a while.

I'm from Long Island I get excited about these things.

metro
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Visit Papa Angelo's in Bethany if you want some real NYC style. Humble Pie in Edmond is good too.

ExtremistPullup
11-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Visit Papa Angelo's in Bethany if you want some real NYC style. Humble Pie in Edmond is good too.

I've been there, Its really good. I took the photos of NY that are hanging on his wall.

Humble pie used to be a named something different, is it different ownership.

Richard at Remax
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I ate there a few weeks ago. Sandwiches were monsters and pizza was good as well. Prices were very reasonable I thought as well.

metro
12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I've been there, Its really good. I took the photos of NY that are hanging on his wall.

Humble pie used to be a named something different, is it different ownership.

Humble Pie used to be Gaetano's, very good NYC Style. Humble Pie is a guy that is a HUGE pizza lover of all types. They are famous for their Chicago Style Deep Dish, as it is the only real deep dish in OKC, however his NYC style is pretty good too.

ExtremistPullup
12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I wonder if he can make a good sicilian pie

John
12-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm a big fan of the original NY Pizza & Pasta. I need to check out the new one soon... One of the better pies you can get in OKC.

soonerguru
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Papa Angelo's is not "real" New York style. Yes, they are former New York residents, but no, the pizza is not as good as New York Pizza and Pasta, which is real New York pizza.

soonerguru
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Humble Pie used to be Gaetano's, very good NYC Style. Humble Pie is a guy that is a HUGE pizza lover of all types. They are famous for their Chicago Style Deep Dish, as it is the only real deep dish in OKC, however his NYC style is pretty good too.

Humble Pie is Chicago style. New York Pizza and Pasta is the only real New York slice I've had in the state. I've tried everything else (except a couple of new ones in Tulsa I will try soon).

metro
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Humble Pie is Chicago style. New York Pizza and Pasta is the only real New York slice I've had in the state. I've tried everything else (except a couple of new ones in Tulsa I will try soon).

Go back and re-read my post, I agree, I said they were known for their Chicago style, but they also OFFER a NYC Style, and it is pretty darn good as well. I've eaten plenty of pizza in NYC (including "Ray's"), just as I'm sure you have. It's personal preference on whose is better, but nonetheless it is still New York style pizza.

TheTravellers
12-08-2010, 02:38 PM

How does NYP&P compare to Falcone's? Falcone's seems to be decent NY-style, but doesn't quite measure up to John's in NYC (I *think* the Bleecker St. location was where we went many years ago)...

ExtremistPullup
12-08-2010, 10:32 PM
How does NYP&P compare to Falcone's? Falcone's seems to be decent NY-style, but doesn't quite measure up to John's in NYC (I *think* the Bleecker St. location was where we went many years ago)...

I out of the Falcone's the one on May is the best, but I side with NYP&P.

I was born and raised on Long Island NY, even in NY there is good pizza and bad pizza.

To me living here there are two types of Pizza Chain restaurant pizzas; and NY pizza pies.

Hideaway,cici's,domino's,pizza hut... VS Papa Angelos,Falcone's NYP&P...

All different in their own class but not similar to what you would find in family owned NY pizza parlor.

Also there is not one Deli or bakery here in Oklahoma that I could find.

metro
12-09-2010, 08:43 AM

I was born and raised on Long Island NY, even in NY there is good pizza and bad pizza.

To me living here there are two types of Pizza Chain restaurant pizzas; and NY pizza pies.

All different in their own class but not similar to what you would find in family owned NY pizza parlor.

Try Mediterranean Deli, we don't have any Jewish deli's though. What type of bakery are you looking for, there are plenty.

Steve
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM

A fellow Long Islander! Nassau or Suffolk? I was an Oyster Bay kid myself.
I understand what you're saying about a bakery or deli. It's difficult to explain to folks here how the bakeries and deli's here just aren't the same. (It's amusing to hear someone who visited a pizzeria in NYC thinking they're an expert on NY pizza).
So far I'd have to argue Gettano's - no longer in business - was the best example of a NY pizza joint here in the metro. The dough was still a bit off - but it's pretty much impossible to completely duplicate NY crust due to the difference in water supply. But he had the look and feel and offerings just about right. But he wasn't that great at running a business.
Brown's Bakery comes closes to what we remember for cake bakeries - but there is NO PLACE to get a Kaiser roll like the ones you can get in NY. As far as delis go, ND Foods has some of the qualities of a NY deli, but again, just isn't the same. Someone who has simply visited NY won't understand all this - it's the delis and bakeries where folks live in NY, not in the tourist areas, that I miss most.

kevinpate
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Well Steve, as you do have a way with words ... how's bouts taking a stab at helping us understand what we're missing?
Closest I ever came to NY was trips to eastern PA and Baltimore so yeah, I haven't a clue. Doesn't mean folk like me wouldn't enjoy one.

Steve
12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Kevin, it's like explaining to someone in New York what makes Leo's BBQ special or what makes Bobo's Chicken successful. And good luck finding anything that's remotely like Tex-Mex in NY. It's more than the food; it's the way the food is done, it's the presentation, the feel, how the menu is set up, and layout of the place ... it's just different.
Each community in NY is pretty guaranteed to have a deli, a bakery, a pizza joint and a Chinese restaurant. Ironically, it's places like Happy House downtown, the Great Wall places that are a very close duplicate to what you see out east (though the quality is far better out east). In NY a bakery is a place folks go to almost daily. Falcones came close to capturing the spirit of a NY pizza place with the May Avenue store, but the whole Mafia thing makes it a bit cartoonish...
Gaetanno's came even closer - maybe too close (leather coats on a rack for sale in the middle of the store??? Fuget 'bout it. They fell off a truck ...)
And by no means do I mean to say these things wouldn't be enjoyed by folks here in OKC. I think with an ongoing migration of outsiders into OKC, we will continue to see some of this eventually.
When my family first moved here in 1978, my mother was shocked to discover there was no place to buy a lasagna tray and almost as hard to find the noodles. (she ultimately had to use a turkey tray). And Chinese food in the 70s in OKC? Oh my ... rye bread as a side instead of Chinese noodles....

kevinpate
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
That makes sense, and you were both gracious and entertaining in the effort. It is appreciated.

Matt
12-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Falcones came close to capturing the spirit of a NY pizza place with the May Avenue store, but the whole Mafia thing makes it a bit cartoonish...

And they've got Scarface posters on the walls. Scarface isn't mafia, dumbasses. Scarface is from Cooba. For this reason alone I refuse to ever enter their business establishment. No matter how good their pies are.

ExtremistPullup
12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
What type of bakery are you looking for, there are plenty.

one with Traditional Italian or German cookies.

ExtremistPullup
12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
A fellow Long Islander! Nassau or Suffolk? I was an Oyster Bay kid myself.
I understand what you're saying about a bakery or deli. It's difficult to explain to folks here how the bakeries and deli's here just aren't the same. (It's amusing to hear someone who visited a pizzeria in NYC thinking they're an expert on NY pizza).
So far I'd have to argue Gettano's - no longer in business - was the best example of a NY pizza joint here in the metro. The dough was still a bit off - but it's pretty much impossible to completely duplicate NY crust due to the difference in water supply. But he had the look and feel and offerings just about right. But he wasn't that great at running a business.
Brown's Bakery comes closes to what we remember for cake bakeries - but there is NO PLACE to get a Kaiser roll like the ones you can get in NY. As far as delis go, ND Foods has some of the qualities of a NY deli, but again, just isn't the same. Someone who has simply visited NY won't understand all this - it's the delis and bakeries where folks live in NY, not in the tourist areas, that I miss most.

Nassau county, South Hempstead north of Rockville center, south west of Uniondale

TheTravellers
12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
one with Traditional Italian or German cookies.

Maybe http://www.ingridskitchen.com/ would fit the bill. Haven't been there, but heard good things about it (mostly).

Jersey Boss
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Sandino's in Norman across from the High School is also somehow related to NY Pizza

Steve
12-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Nassau county, South Hempstead north of Rockville center, south west of Uniondale

Oh wow.... that's just a 20-minute drive from where I lived - pretty much a shot down the Wantagh...

Steve
12-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Let's see how old you are. Do you remember ... Wetson's? Jolly Roger's?

Jersey Boss
12-11-2010, 08:31 AM
WETSON'S, wow, a blast from the past. We had 'em in Union County back in the 60's on our side of the river. Their fries were top drawer. How about GINO's?. Of course after a night of drinking Rheingold ( Keep the gold cold) from the fabled Chug A Mugs, White Castle filled the bill nicely.

As far as pizza, we used to cross the Gothels Bridge to go to "Denino's" which was on Forrest Ave. When the pies came out they were so hot the cheese was liquid. And they had Rheingold on tap.

ExtremistPullup
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh wow.... that's just a 20-minute drive from where I lived - pretty much a shot down the Wantagh...

your up by cold spring harbor I remember we went to a whaling museum up their in elementary school. were going up there this June. I want to take my son to Old Bethpage restoration village, lido beach with the mushrooms, Friendly's for a cone head, Carvel for a flying saucer,

Steve
12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Get there soon.... Friendly's is dying (great food, great ice cream, horrible service and management). Carvel, however, is doing fine.

ExtremistPullup
12-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Get there soon.... Friendly's is dying (great food, great ice cream, horrible service and management). Carvel, however, is doing fine.

Ya they closed a lot in 2000 they are strong up in Springfield where they are based out of. You can get the Carvel cakes at most walmarts here!

Here is one for Lincolns Birthday.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2734/img1783t.jpg
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8608/img1801t.jpg

Steve
12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I didn't know you could get carvel cakes out here. Interesting. Of course, that's not the same as a Carvel soft serve....

kevinpate
12-13-2010, 04:44 AM
"It's What Happy Tastes Like"

OK, that's pretty good.

TheTravellers
12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
... (It's amusing to hear someone who visited a pizzeria in NYC thinking they're an expert on NY pizza).

Not sure if that was a reference to my earlier post, but as almost always is the case, there's a backstory that you don't know - I didn't just walk into a random pizzeria in NYC and declare they're the best NYC-style pizza in the world. :headscrat My cousin lived in Greenwich Village for a bunch of years, sampled many, many pizza places, and had decided that John's was the one worth going back to. So since he's one of the few people I trust about food, we went there and it was some of the best NYC-style pizza we've had. No, we didn't visit 100 pizza places in NYC to make sure of that, but we've had enough pizza of different styles in all the places we've lived and visited to know what good pizza is and John's measured up (we did eat at least one pizza from someone else than John's while in NYC, but can't remember the name of the place, and it wasn't as good as John's).

ExtremistPullup
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
WETSON'S, wow, a blast from the past. We had 'em in Union County back in the 60's on our side of the river. Their fries were top drawer. How about GINO's?. Of course after a night of drinking Rheingold ( Keep the gold cold) from the fabled Chug A Mugs, White Castle filled the bill nicely.

As far as pizza, we used to cross the Gothels Bridge to go to "Denino's" which was on Forrest Ave. When the pies came out they were so hot the cheese was liquid. And they had Rheingold on tap.
Forgotten NY

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/NEIGHBORHOODS/neighborhoodhomepage/neighborhoods.html

http://www.screanews.us/LongIsland/LongIslanderIf.htm

Steve
12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
"When you just sort of presume that wherever you live,
You'll be able to find good delis, good pizza, and good bagels."
All that, and so much more ... all true.
The LIE, however, was and is as bad as everyone thinks it is (traffic jams in OKC?? Hah! That's just a good day on the LIE).
I can't imagine falling asleep on the train and ending up in Ronkonkoma - I'll bet it's still deserted out there. And no, I don't claim to know anybody who saw Billy Joel in Oyster Bay. He and my uncle were childhood friends, and they kept in contact until my uncle's death in the early 90s (Billy had him doing electrical work at his house).
Great websites....