View Full Version : Good Generator

PennyQuilts
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on a good generator? We have propane and would like to have a portable generator (although a decent sized one) that will take propane or one that will take either propane or gasoline. We're getting the house wired to be able to more easily hook it up. Don't ask me how big a generator we're getting because Husband is driving me nuts, tonight, and I don't want to have to go ask him. I love him dearly but he just spent ten minutes telling me the chemical components and history of the marketing of gorilla glue and god knows where a discussion of generators would go. <vbg> But big enough to run the heater, refrigerators and lights, anyway.

FRISKY
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
What kind of fuel does your heater use? What size is your air conditioner?

PennyQuilts
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Well, that's the deal - we have a propane tank and would like to use propane because it is always handy. But Husband is having trouble tracking down a propane tank so he may have to convert a gas one. I have no idea what size air conditioner we have but our electrician claims his 5500 generator (I think that's what he said he had) runs both his units and he has a big house. Personally, I am skeptical that a generator would run our air conditioning. And I am more concerned about winter storms, anyway.

FRISKY
11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Ferrellgas in Norman has good used propane tanks for sale @ $1-per-gallon or less if you are good at negotiating. http://maps.google.com/?q=17601 South Sunnylane Road,Norman,OK,73071

Check out this site for information on some good brands of generators. http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/shopbywatts.php

BTW, A 5.5kw generator won't power the smallest air conditioner. It might run on that amount of amps, but it would never be able to start the unit because the starting amps required are much higher than the run amps.

PennyQuilts
11-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Ferrellgas in Norman has good used propane tanks for sale @ $1-per-gallon or less if you are good at negotiating. http://maps.google.com/?q=17601 South Sunnylane Road,Norman,OK,73071

Check out this site for information on some good brands of generators. http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/shopbywatts.php

BTW, A 5.5kw generator won't power the smallest air conditioner. It might run on that amount of amps, but it would never be able to start the unit because the starting amps required are much higher than the run amps.

Thanks, Frisky. I probably misheard the electrician because he has been around awhile and knows his stuff.

bluedogok
11-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Generac (http://www.generac.com/) has made a big push into the residential market in recent years and has propane/natural gas generators. They have a pretty good website with a lot of information and a configuration page to see what kind of load you should have for what you want powered. I know when we build a new home it will be designed for a generator to be installed.

PennyQuilts
11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Bluedog, I'll check it out.

PennyQuilts
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM

A clarification - Husband has informed me that that NO generator would run the air conditioner, denied ever saying so, changed that to admitting that he misspoke, followed by claiming a specific recollection of correction himself, began wondering if a window unit could be supported, then abruptly began discussing international trade as a diversion. I am on to him.

bluedogok
11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
There are generators that would run A/C, it would be a fairly large one though. I know of whole building generators that ran data centers and the A/C required for that. It is all in how much you want to spend.

PennyQuilts
11-24-2010, 09:30 AM
There are generators that would run A/C, it would be a fairly large one though. I know of whole building generators that ran data centers and the A/C required for that. It is all in how much you want to spend.

I think he is looking closely at a Troy Bilt, 7700 something or other. I'm less worried about losing power in the summer than the winter. In the summer, road conditions or weather conditions aren't usually so bad you don't want to risk driving to a motel or your brother's house or the local Sonic or a mall with AC. Winter is a whole different story. In the summer, if your health isn't bad, you could practically pitch a tent for a few days outside or run a fan. About the only thing you have to worry about in the summer is a tornado, for the most part, Losing power for a few days is probably the least of your worries, depending on if you still have a roof.

What is sad are the people who manage to kill themselves by running generators in a closed garage or something.

stick47
11-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Our home is wired for a generator and the one we have is 3.5kw but it will handle everything on the 100 amp panel except for the 220v circuits. We don't run the microwave, coffeemaker and toaster oven all at the same time of course but even with a large SS fridge, a small fridge and a freezer, it's worked fine.
It doesn't take much juice to run the natural gas furnace motor and if we have an extended power loss in the Summer I have a portable 10K btu air conditioner in my shop that could be moved from room to room and run off the generator.
The new home we plan to build next year will have a propane fireplace insert.

PennyQuilts
11-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Our home is wired for a generator and the one we have is 3.5kw but it will handle everything on the 100 amp panel except for the 220v circuits. We don't run the microwave, coffeemaker and toaster oven all at the same time of course but even with a large SS fridge, a small fridge and a freezer, it's worked fine.
It doesn't take much juice to run the natural gas furnace motor and if we have an extended power loss in the Summer I have a portable 10K btu air conditioner in my shop that could be moved from room to room and run off the generator.
The new home we plan to build next year will have a propane fireplace insert.

Stick, what brand do you have? Husband wanted one with an engine that could be repaired, locally, if need be. We plan to wire it to the house, too. We have some wood set in but after we finish it, we may just go to a propane log - we don't use the fireplace for heat. It would be different if it were a stove.

stick47
11-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Penney I wasn't able to shop around when I bought mine. It was the next to last one in the Home Depot I stopped at on the way home from work on the eve of one of our big ice storms. The brand is Coleman and it has a 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. Most any mower shop can do warranty or repair on the motor.

PennyQuilts
11-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Penney I wasn't able to shop around when I bought mine. It was the next to last one in the Home Depot I stopped at on the way home from work on the eve of one of our big ice storms. The brand is Coleman and it has a 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. Most any mower shop can do warranty or repair on the motor.

Oh lord, if it has a Briggs & Stratton engine, he may run right down and get one. He was actually considering getting one at HD or Lowes, too. He's usually more snooty about shopping for stuff but he's just about decided they are as good as he needs. I'll pass this on to him. Thanks.

bradzilla
11-26-2010, 05:36 AM
keep on him to start it up once in awhile or to leave it in the box and never fill it up with oil or gas. typically when someone buys one they fire it up to make sure it works (and its just kinda cool to run it :) ), drain the fluids (sometimes) then stick them in a shed or corner for a few years. Then when they actually need it they find that either they cant get it started or the gaskets have dried out, and then by the time they find someone to fix it the powers back on.

in all honesty, if you dont already have generator and both of you have lived XX number of years with out one then its not really worth the price. i know, i know, its a guy thing that we like to go out and spend money on things like this and we have to make sure that it makes enough power to run this and that - but speaking from personal experience you'll never(knock on wood) get your money out of it. Ive thought that even if i had it during the longest spurt when our power was out (07 or 08, whenever the huge icestorm went through- out of power for 3 days) then each day to run a fridge and a few other things at a time then i would've been spending 200~ per day to have a tv and not throw out food (although it was below freezing outside and putting our food outside would make entirely way to much sense, but looking back it was a good way to clean out the freezer).

edit -
they are actually kinda silly now that i think about it. everyones power goes out, people hop in to their cars to race(on the ice) to home depot to buy a 400-800 dollar generator, people race to the gas station(on the ice), realize that they left the gas container at the house(one the ice), race back to home depot (on the ice), buy larger gas container because 1 gallon that you have wont work and will need atleast 2, 5 gallon gas containers, go back to gas station (on the ice), then drive home (on the ice).....get home, prep generator, place it downwind, run extension cords through a window or open door ( speaking from experience plan on how you are going to run the cord before hand :) ).....then finally plug in your fridge, lamp, and radio with the constant drone of a gas mower and the high pitched whine of a generator whirling right outside your window.

looking back it would've been smarter if we stayed at the house, used our flashlights, and played board games in front of the fire.

PennyQuilts
11-26-2010, 07:35 AM
keep on him to start it up once in awhile or to leave it in the box and never fill it up with oil or gas. typically when someone buys one they fire it up to make sure it works (and its just kinda cool to run it :) ), drain the fluids (sometimes) then stick them in a shed or corner for a few years. Then when they actually need it they find that either they cant get it started or the gaskets have dried out, and then by the time they find someone to fix it the powers back on.

in all honesty, if you dont already have generator and both of you have lived XX number of years with out one then its not really worth the price. i know, i know, its a guy thing that we like to go out and spend money on things like this and we have to make sure that it makes enough power to run this and that - but speaking from personal experience you'll never(knock on wood) get your money out of it. Ive thought that even if i had it during the longest spurt when our power was out (07 or 08, whenever the huge icestorm went through- out of power for 3 days) then each day to run a fridge and a few other things at a time then i would've been spending 200~ per day to have a tv and not throw out food (although it was below freezing outside and putting our food outside would make entirely way to much sense, but looking back it was a good way to clean out the freezer).

edit -
they are actually kinda silly now that i think about it. everyones power goes out, people hop in to their cars to race(on the ice) to home depot to buy a 400-800 dollar generator, people race to the gas station(on the ice), realize that they left the gas container at the house(one the ice), race back to home depot (on the ice), buy larger gas container because 1 gallon that you have wont work and will need atleast 2, 5 gallon gas containers, go back to gas station (on the ice), then drive home (on the ice).....get home, prep generator, place it downwind, run extension cords through a window or open door ( speaking from experience plan on how you are going to run the cord before hand :) ).....then finally plug in your fridge, lamp, and radio with the constant drone of a gas mower and the high pitched whine of a generator whirling right outside your window.

looking back it would've been smarter if we stayed at the house, used our flashlights, and played board games in front of the fire.

You'd have to know Husband, Brad. He doesn't even have an X chromosone to steady out the whole male/fire/hunter thing.

I understand what you're saying and, in fact, father-in-law made the same argument but Husband is one of those guys who WILL be ready, no matter what. If a cougar jumped on his head in the middle of a wheat field it would bitterly regret it because he would still be prepared. It is one of his most endearing traits. You know from these boards how pig headed I am but I don't stand a chance at changing his mind once it is made up.

We've been back a year and did lose power and managed to get by. Still. The notion to get a generator has taken root and it IS going to happen. He's already had the electrician out to rewire the house.

No worries that it will be used once or twice and put away. The man is organized and fanatical about maintaining his machines. Even his pencils are lined up and if they required oil, it would be done. They are even sharpened. No. 2. Don't even think about getting a No. 4 or 6. <vbg>

dismayed
11-26-2010, 12:25 PM
You know I've been thinking about wiring a generator into the house too. Have you seen those generators that you can have a plumber hook into your natural gas line? What's great about them is that when the power goes out not only can they drive just about everything in your house (they are like 14kw) but also you never have to worry about filling them with fuel. So you just flip a switch and from that point on its like your electricity was never out. Lowe's and Home Depot sell a Centurion model, but I have been reading that there are better brands out there.

PennyQuilts
11-26-2010, 02:27 PM
You know I've been thinking about wiring a generator into the house too. Have you seen those generators that you can have a plumber hook into your natural gas line? What's great about them is that when the power goes out not only can they drive just about everything in your house (they are like 14kw) but also you never have to worry about filling them with fuel. So you just flip a switch and from that point on its like your electricity was never out. Lowe's and Home Depot sell a Centurion model, but I have been reading that there are better brands out there.

We've got propane and plan to have our plumber run a line to do just that. That way, if we lose power we don't have to worry about trotting off to get gasoline.

The electrician has already scoped out what needs to be done to set up a transfer switch on the house wiring.

We ended up getting a 6200 running watt Tory-Bilt with a Briggs and Stratton engine. We could have gotten a larger, newer model for the same price but Husband is convinced they've switched to an inferior engine from China or some place and he wanted one made in the USA to make sure we can get the parts and the know how to fix it, locally. He says this year's model have changed from the previous successful design and we don't yet know how well it will function (too soon for many reviews) even if it costs less and has more wattage. Moreover, the engine specs are hinky on saying where the engine comes from. We could have gotten a 7000 watt (this year's model) for the same price but Husband stuck his lip out and dug in. I pick my battles.

bluedogok
11-26-2010, 08:25 PM
My parents were without power during the ice storm last winter for 11 days and they live near NW 16th & Meridian, not exactly the boonies. For some reason it was one of the last areas in the metro to regain service.

Now we are planning to move out to the boonies so I am planning on having a stand-by generator with a disconnect installed when the house is built along with a fire sprinkler system. To me it is a negligible investment for some peace of mind, especially in a location where services could take awhile to be restored.

PennyQuilts
11-27-2010, 05:53 AM
My parents were without power during the ice storm last winter for 11 days and they live near NW 16th & Meridian, not exactly the boonies. For some reason it was one of the last areas in the metro to regain service.

Now we are planning to move out to the boonies so I am planning on having a stand-by generator with a disconnect installed when the house is built along with a fire sprinkler system. To me it is a negligible investment for some peace of mind, especially in a location where services could take awhile to be restored.

Good thinking.

rondvu
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Make sure you install carbon dioxide detectors. A few years ago a woman and the baby she was carrying both asphyxiated due to breathing in the fumes. They had cords ran in a cracked window. I also have a generator and had an electrician wire part of the house. I purchased the detectors along with the generator. *****Safety First*****

PennyQuilts
11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Make sure you install carbon dioxide detectors. A few years ago a woman and the baby she was carrying both asphyxiated due to breathing in the fumes. They had cords ran in a cracked window. I also have a generator and had an electrician wire part of the house. I purchased the detectors along with the generator. *****Safety First*****

Good tip but the generator will be outside, attached to the transfer switch. Seen too many stories of Darwin at work. But everyone should have those dectectors - I have them and my poor kids get them for Christmas from time to time.

Kerry
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Save time, money, and frustration and just go with this:

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-toshiba-micro-nuclear-12.17b.html

Toshiba has developed a new class of micro size Nuclear Reactors that is designed to power individual apartment buildings or city blocks. The new reactor, which is only 20 feet by 6 feet, could change everything for small remote communities, small businesses or even a group of neighbors who are fed up with the power companies and want more control over their energy needs.

Lifetime cost is about $2,500 per home. For us, it would pay for itself in 6 months. Might see if our subdivision is interested. We have about 500 homes.

Here is another link to similar technology for those interested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

PennyQuilts
12-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Okay, we are all set. The generator has been bought and the electrician has rewired the house. I have done my part to keep SW OKC from having any power outages for at least 7 - 8 years. Don't bother to thank me, I'm happy to help.