View Full Version : History of the Cock O' The Walk?

JohnDenver
11-23-2010, 07:46 AM
What is the history of this establishment?
Has it been around for as long as you can remember?
What else use to be in that building?

I am fairly new to the state and this location fascinates me. What commerce used to be on NW36th and Western?

papaOU
11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
What is the history of this establishment?
Has it been around for as long as you can remember?
What else use to be in that building?

I am fairly new to the state and this location fascinates me. What commerce used to be on NW36th and Western?

I am 55 and the place has been there ever since I can remember. My Dad said more than once that it was one of the few places OFF LIMITS to military personnel.

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I am 55 and the place has been there ever since I can remember. My Dad said more than once that it was one of the few places OFF LIMITS to military personnel.

Were they not connected with the Chicken In The Rough?

papaOU
11-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Not sure. Had the bird and bag painted on the outside of the bldg.

Martin
11-23-2010, 09:38 AM
noticed a few weeks ago that the sign was taken down... is it going to be restored/replaced or is it gone for good? -M

MustangGT
11-23-2010, 09:50 AM
I remember that as a watering hole when I was in college in the early 80's.

USG'60
11-23-2010, 11:09 AM
It has been there at LEAST 60 years that I know of.

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Not sure. Had the bird and bag painted on the outside of the bldg.

I believe that "Chicken in the Rough" was a licensed process...didn't Beverly's have that sign as well...KFC started as a licensed "process" as well...I remember being confused as a child, there was a "Chicken in the Rough" place on Main Street in old downtown Norman that was popular...and Beverly's had the same signs...

MustangGT
11-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Off Topi...History of Beverlys and Chicken in the Rough.

http://chickenintherough.com/History.html

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Off Topi...History of Beverlys and Chicken in the Rough.

http://chickenintherough.com/History.html

Thankee Mustang, interesting info...(former owner of a '66-289 and a '79-5.0 Mustang myself)

PennyQuilts
11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
It is so old that Jesus Christ used to drink there and one of my brothers would regularly get beat up there during the late 70's, early 80's.

USG'60
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I believe that "Chicken in the Rough" was a licensed process...didn't Beverly's have that sign as well...KFC started as a licensed "process" as well...I remember being confused as a child, there was a "Chicken in the Rough" place on Main Street in old downtown Norman that was popular...and Beverly's had the same signs...

Mark, that Beverly's was next door to my dad's drug store. It was an active neon of a rooster driving with a golf club. I think all the Beverlys' back then had them. Not quite the same as "the Cock's" logo rooster.

flips
11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
noticed a few weeks ago that the sign was taken down... is it going to be restored/replaced or is it gone for good? -M

It is being restored, and its coming along quite nicely. Hopefully, it will be up around the first of the year.

RealJimbo
11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
That area has had a lot of different businesses, including a couple of service stations - a Mobil and maybe a Phillips 66?, a Sherwin-Williams paint store and across the street, TG&Y, Humpty Dumpty and Safeway grocery stores along with a cleaners and hardware store. There was a drug store on the SE corner. What else am I missing? BTW - the Cock has been there at least 60 years, as USG60 said. I used to go there and have a burger and a beer at lunch when I worked at 36th and Santa Fe. At that time they had really good old fried burgers.

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Mark, that Beverly's was next door to my dad's drug store. It was an active neon of a rooster driving with a golf club. I think all the Beverlys' back then had them. Not quite the same as "the Cock's" logo rooster.

As I am sure you remember--it always smelled good walking by there... :P

And also by Velma's Bakery one block east and on the other side of the street...

Martin
11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
it is being restored, and its coming along quite nicely. hopefully, it will be up around the first of the year.

great news. when i saw it missing i was concerned that it was gone permanently. -M

gen70
11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
great news. when i saw it missing i was concerned that it was gone permanently. -M Agreed...

papaOU
11-23-2010, 09:33 PM

U b da man

phinzup
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Wasn't there a "Cock O' The Walk" downtown, back in the day? I seem to remember a bar with that name down around Robinson and California.....I'm talking in the 50's and early 60's.

skyrick
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
It is so old that Jesus Christ used to drink there and one of my brothers would regularly get beat up there during the late 70's, early 80's.

It was there in '61-'63 when I used to go to Hills Barber Shop next to it.

CarltonsKeeper
11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes there was, I remember it long before urban renewal, kind of a rough place!
Responding to PHINZUP EARLIER POST!!

janeyring
05-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Is Cock O' The Walk still there? I began going there When I was 21. I'm 65 now. No longer live in OKC, but return to see family.
Janey Reynolds Ring

Pete
05-14-2012, 06:22 PM
According to their website, they opened in 1960 right after prohibition was lifted in Oklahoma.

There had to be something there before they took that space at 3705 N Western, because the building was complete in 1949.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/wikiphotos/cockothewalk1.jpg

http://www.cockothewalk.net/