View Full Version : November 22, 1963

FRISKY
11-22-2010, 04:00 AM
What do you remember?

skyrick
11-22-2010, 05:55 AM
What do you remember?

5th grade math class at John Carroll Catholic School, just after recess, was late getting started because Sister Geraldine hadn't come in the classroom yet. Everyone was cutting up when she stormed into the room with a strange look on her face. We thought we were really in trouble. She went to the front of the room and said, "The President has just been shot in Dallas! You see what happens when we live in such a crazy world?", and then ran back out of the room, to the only TV in the school, I guess. We all looked at each other as what she said sank in. A couple of the girls, Nancy Thompson and Susan Moran, started sobbing. Then Sister Geraldine appeared in the doorway again and said, "The president is dead!" and ran back out. They didn't cancel school though. We sleepwalked through the rest of the afternoon.

I remember turning on the TV after church that Sunday, to see if regular TV was back on yet, and saw Oswald gunned down in real time.

jmarkross
11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
I was in the 9th grade in Jr. High in Norman...and the radio came on over the intercom system--which was odd. And then we got the news live on the radio about the incident. The Cuban Missile Crisis was the year before...and we grew up in the "Duck and Cover" film days and it seemed like just more bad news. I remember watching TV that following Sunday AM and saw Oswald shot live in the parking garage in Dallas...at that age--you just absorb things around you and document it mentally...politics means nothing to young people at that age--at least not back then when people developed more normally than today...

It was also the my first day back at school after an appendectomy and a week in the hospital. I still have the Dr. records here--the cost for the surgery was $275. It's gone up since then...

papaOU
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
At Sacred Heart, they herded us all into the gym, told us what had happened and then sent us home.

osu cowboy
11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
At Sacred Heart, they herded us all into the gym, told us what had happened and then sent us home.

I was in 4th or 5th grade at Shields Heights and they had us go to gym and watch on TV what was happening.

jmarkross
11-22-2010, 01:39 PM
What do you remember?

What about you?

TaoMaas
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
My mom and I heard it on the radio while we were waiting in a line a cars at my school. She was dropping me off after lunch. I immediately went in and told my teacher, but she didn't believe me. She wanted to know who had told me about it. When I said that my mom and I had heard it on the radio just now, she went and got another teacher. They found a radio, turned it on, heard the news, and school was pretty much over for the day after that.

corpsman
11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
I was going to 8th grade History class at Longfellow Jr. High in Enid. My best friend told me about it and I shrugged it off as a B.S. story until I got to Mr. Osterhoudt's classroom and there he was, big ol' hard core Brooklyn German, former sparring partner of Joe Lewis, WW II US Navy vet crying like a baby. He told us that the president had been shot and that he had just been pronounced dead. The rest of that afternoon and evening were spent listening to the radio over the school P.A .system and watching the TV coverage at home. Woe be to anyone who dared utter a sound.

kevinpate
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
I remember having a puppy and a tricycle.
I tip my hat to you for reminding me I'm eligible for the kiddie table once I make it to a Coit's meeting.

ljbab728
11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I was in the cafeteria at Norman High when the German language teacher came up to us to tell the news. We weren't sent home early but I was glued to the TV for the next couple of days.

papaOU
11-22-2010, 11:20 PM
I get reminded of this often. I was in the 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated. Got really excited to learn that the funeral procession would make its way through capitol hill. Commerce St. was the only capitol hill I knew of.:doh:

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 05:30 AM
I was going to 8th grade History class at Longfellow Jr. High in Enid. My best friend told me about it and I shrugged it off as a B.S. story until I got to Mr. Osterhoudt's classroom and there he was, big ol' hard core Brooklyn German, former sparring partner of Joe Lewis, WW II US Navy vet crying like a baby. He told us that the president had been shot and that he had just been pronounced dead. The rest of that afternoon and evening were spent listening to the radio over the school P.A .system and watching the TV coverage at home. Woe be to anyone who dared utter a sound.

Ever go to Lotta Burger there in Enid? Used to travel with my Dad there in the early 60's...we always stopped there and got those giant burgers, they were excellent!

jmarkross
11-23-2010, 05:34 AM
I get reminded of this often. I was in the 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated. Got really excited to learn that the funeral procession would make its way through capitol hill. Commerce St. was the only capitol hill I knew of.:doh:

Don't feel bad...when I was a kid from Norman...when we went to Capitol Hill I always looked for the State Capitol--and it was never there!

corpsman
11-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Ever go to Lotta Burger there in Enid? Used to travel with my Dad there in the early 60's...we always stopped there and got those giant burgers, they were excellent!

Yep. They were a special treat. Tight funds and 5 kids usually meant 12 for a dollar burgers from the stand on E Maine just north and across the street west of St. Mary's Hospital. No burgers November 22, 1963, though, too busy watching Walter Cronkite.

papaOU
11-24-2010, 02:46 PM
When I was a sophomore, we spent 9weeks in American Lit dissecting Don McLean's "American Pie". The teacher insisted the song concerned the assassination of JFK. Found out some years later that the tune was about the plane crash and death of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens....

Does anyone know what the line represents," You know I still remember the 23rd of November." Off of "Blows Against the Empire"?

jmarkross
11-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Yep. They were a special treat. Tight funds and 5 kids usually meant 12 for a dollar burgers from the stand on E Maine just north and across the street west of St. Mary's Hospital. No burgers November 22, 1963, though, too busy watching Walter Cronkite.

Back in 1972...I had a roommate who was a Capitol Hill guy and he took me to a place in Southtown somewhere that had like 8 burgers for a buck...small--but pretty good--lots of mustard pickles and onions...if you were around way back when there was a Hagee's Grocery Store on 39th...they had BBQ sandwiches for 25-cents that were not bad, especially for young guys where quantity had a lot more to do with choices than quality...

papaOU
11-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Back in 1972...I had a roommate who was a Capitol Hill guy and he took me to a place in Southtown somewhere that had like 8 burgers for a buck...small--but pretty good--lots of mustard pickles and onions...if you were around way back when there was a Hagee's Grocery Store on 39th...they had BBQ sandwiches for 25-cents that were not bad, especially for young guys where quantity had a lot more to do with choices than quality...

Capitol Hill drive in was probably still open at that time. It was more of a "beer bar" just serving food. Hamburgers 5 for a dollar. Some called it Sam's Drive in. S.E. 29th and Robinson. It was a rock building.

T-rex
03-09-2011, 10:22 PM
i was 8, mom had kept me from schoolthat day for a Dr's appt.
i was watching the coverage of the parade on Tv when it happened

janeyring
05-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I was a sophomore at Putnam City High School in one of my classes when we found out President Kennedy had been shot.
JaneyReynoldsRing

jmpokc1957
05-25-2012, 08:51 AM
I was in the first grade at Rollingwood Elementary School. I was in a temp classroom in the cafeteria. As I was in the peak of the baby boomer wave I spent more time in temp classrooms than in permanent ones. I remember hushed conversations and teachers coming in and out of the classroom. Don't remember much more, I was only six years old.

One of the funny things about living in a time when so many events are replayed on video so many years after the fact is that I'm no longer sure what I remember by being there or by having seen it so many times that I just think I was there!

May hit 70 deg in Portland, Or, today!

Mike

SOONER8693
05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
In 7th grade at Liberty Jr High in Hutchinson, Ks. Just coming back from lunch and someone in the hall said The President had been shot. We mainly pooh-poohed it. Then in math class, the principal come on the intercom and said he was dead and we should all go home. Besides my children being born, the most memorable day of my life.
We had a burger place in Hutch where you could get 12 burgers for a dollar and a paper sack full of fries for 25 cents that would feed about 25 people. You had to eat the fries quickly before they soaked through the bottom of the sack. Seems like a million years ago.

ctchandler
05-25-2012, 03:44 PM
What do you remember?
Frisky,
"Now reveille, reveille, all hands heave out and trice up, reveille." We have just received word that our president has been shot. Not another word, just rumors aboard the USS Klondike and we didn't find out till we arrived in Yokosuka several days later.
C. T.

Larry OKC
05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Not too much, I was just a baby (infant really) born July 21 of that year.