View Full Version : Sick, Sick, Sick.

Thunder
11-21-2010, 02:07 AM
For the most of my life, it has been very rare for me to be sick with a virus, fever, the whole mumbo jumbo. I can go a whole year without getting sick. I can go a whole Winter without getting sick and only get sick sometime during the Spring, but not as severe. The max limit for me getting sick has been a pattern of once a year.

So, a couple months ago, during Summer, I suddenly was sick. It was bad for a while and lingered for about two weeks. Now a couple of days ago, I got sick again and it feels like the worse episode ever in my life. My sinus congestion has been clearing up, but still a bit stuffy in my head, draining down my throat and chest, ya know the whole show. I had a slight fever, but it did not last long.

Should I be concerned about this? Getting sick like this so close together in time. My mom had been sick and started before I did. I don't know if I should go to the doc to have the whole blood workup to determine if I am okay and that it was just unlucky for me to rarely get sick twice so close together.

About a day or two after I started having symptoms, I bought bottles of DayQuil and NyQuil. I think about 2 days ago, I was doing Google search on, "How effective is NyQuil," and came across some info that I had forgotten about. Vicks removed the Pseudoephedrine from these medication, which is why I noticed it was not as effective as it was before. Now I remember seeing something about it on the news about cold/flu medications containing this ingredient is being sold behind-the-counter with requirement of providing proof of ID and electronic signature. It is quite shocking that Vicks actually degraded their products in order to be more viewable to the public to sell for profits. I trusted them, but now...not anymore. I went to CVS and asked for something stronger, so I got a box of CVS brand, "Severe Sinus Congestion," containing Pseudoephedrine. It was my very first time to provide an ID and sign electronically (this shows how rarely I get sick...at least this bad). It is helping clearing up my nose, but still suffering the throat/chest draining and coughing, so it will be another day or two since I was late on starting this medication.

I am afraid of becoming sick again during the course of this upcoming Winter season. I do not know what to think of that if it happens again. Should I be overly concerned about this?

Just a side question, do Chicken Noodle soup from Campbell actually contain ingredients to cure me quickly? I had 2 cans recently, which was the first time in years (probably at least 10 years) that I have ever eaten it. Tastes good!

The past week or so has been miserable. Dealing with head pains, tooth ache, busted shoulders that the doc will not operate at this time since I am not athletic (how discriminating...) and being sick. I actually asked for time off from work and the boss suggested a month, but I told him that I am willing to come back on the 1st (food stamp users day) to work my magic. Not much of a vacation for me... *sighs* But I have managed to do some work on my aquariums, such as cleaning the 100.

Hope this post pleases everyone! I know I've been a bit crazy on here... Really, I'm a great guy! <3

bandnerd
11-21-2010, 03:27 PM
It's inevitable that you will get sick. Do you realize how many cold viruses there are? Eventually, one's gonna get you. Trust me, I'm a teacher and while I don't get sick often, once I do get sick, it's bad. Really bad. I usually get more than one thing at a time when I do manage to get something.

You might also be having problems with allergies. My sister has had issues for months because of allergies. They seem to be horrible for everyone this year.

As for the soup, there isn't anything magical about it. Homemade soup with a little less sodium might be better for you, though, and it's easy enough to make. Eating soup when you're sick helps keep you hydrated, the warm liquid feels good on your throat and the steam helps open up your sinuses. Plus, chicken soup is just healthy, when made with lean chicken and veggies. I say eat away.

More than anything, your body is telling you to slow down and rest. I was feeling crappy earlier this week and have taken it easy in the evenings, as best I can, and I feel better for it. I look forward to the holiday break this week so I can really rest up. I think you should take this opportunity to catch up with the boob tube or a book and let your body heal itself.

jmarkross
11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Stay healthy, Thunder...you are one of the few unique folks here...

MadMonk
11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
I used to be very healthy like that for years at a time. Ever since my kids reached school age I inevitably come down with something every year because they come down with something every year.

Thunder
11-22-2010, 05:22 AM
I am taking the what left of the pills back to the store. Not helping me to get better!

kevinpate
11-22-2010, 05:22 AM
You work in a market. I assume you push carts outside that other folks have been pushing inside, while they also wipe lil' Johnnie's nose, etc.
Sorry you picked up a bug, but kudos for it not happening more often.

As for soup, bandnerd hit that rather well. If you go with canned chicken soup, try Progresso brand. But it's fairly easy to make a big big pot of chicken soup at home.

Thunder
11-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Yeah. Children needs to be banned from grocery stores.

bandnerd
11-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Yeah. Children needs to be banned from grocery stores.

I know you're sick and all, but that's kind of impossible ;) Anyway, if you're feeling stuffy, get some Mucinex and a neti pot. Rinse your sinuses then hit them with the decongestant. Ibuprofen might help, as well, if there is any swelling in your sinuses, which is sometimes the problem. Just get some rest.

OKCisOK4me
11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Try Airborne too. They're little Alkeseltzer type tablets that you drop into water, they bubble up and then you drink it. A school teacher like bandnerd came up with it. Also, if it's throat related, drink some jalapeno juice!

jmarkross
11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Try Airborne too. They're little Alkeseltzer type tablets that you drop into water, they bubble up and then you drink it. A school teacher like bandnerd came up with it. Also, if it's throat related, drink some jalapeno juice!

Dill pickle liquid works as well--somewhat less harsh than jalapeno nectar...I prefer the Kosher, myself...with garlic...

OKCisOK4me
11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Dill pickle liquid works as well--somewhat less harsh than jalapeno nectar...I prefer the Kosher, myself...with garlic...

That sounds yummmmmmmmmy!!

jmarkross
11-22-2010, 04:07 PM
That sounds yummmmmmmmmy!!

Ever since childhood...I would wait for the pickles to be eaten...then covet and sequester the big jar and push it into the back of the fridge...and everyone knew it was mine--and late at night...I would sneak in and take a big pull on that jug...I especially liked the bottles that looked like barrels...those were salad days...and I still like it to this day--also--it turns out a little vinegar a day is good for you, and it is better with dill...

Thunder
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Reading here is making me more sick. :-(

bandnerd
11-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Feeling better yet?

Thunder
11-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Better, but each time I try to blow out smoke, I cough violently. Been chugging down a bunch of honey...no effect.

kevinpate
11-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Better, but each time I try to blow out smoke, I cough violently. Been chugging down a bunch of honey...no effect.

You cough violently when you exhale cig smoke?
Honey isn't helping?

Perhaps, just perhaps mind you, if you were to take a break from your cigs for a few days, that violent cough might subside a bit and your head and sinus cavities might, just might, become a wee bit less congested and inflamed.

I'm no doctor, but hey, maybe that's worth a shot since the miracle honey isn't being very magical.

bandnerd
11-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Um, yeah, messing with a chest cold or bronchitis isn't smart. Put down the cigarettes and honey and get some robitussin.

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Switch to Pall Malls, or Lucky Strikes or Camels...avoid the temptation of Kools--the menthol won't help...

Easy180
11-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Just don't try my approach..cough and wheeze for 3 weeks before seeing a doc...ended up with slight pneumonia and a " hey u r a dumbazz for waiting this long" speech

Doc said at a certain point it won't clear up on it's own so go get steroids...cleared up within 4 days

Thunder
11-26-2010, 01:41 PM
How do I know the difference between Pneumonia and screwed up chest with drainage/coughs?

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 01:46 PM
How do I know the difference between Pneumonia and screwed up chest with drainage/coughs?

See a doctor. You will be very, very unhappy if you do not. NEVER mess around with respiratory infection.

Thunder
11-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, it is too late for that. Almost 2 weeks. I'm getting better. I get 120 Lortab monthly to every 2 months and it been helping me greatly.

jmarkross
11-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, it is too late for that. Almost 2 weeks. I'm getting better. I get 120 Lortab monthly to every 2 months and it been helping me greatly.

Pneumonia can cause permanent, irreversible damage is the reason to not wait for professional opinion...although it is not particularly common in younger people...

kevinpate
11-26-2010, 03:10 PM

With respect you are simply no longer young enough to be so dang silly on your health.
Loratab may help you bear the pain you are in from another medical issue, but it does nada to clear you up and get you well.
Even so, I hope you get well in spite of the odd way you sometimes look after your health.

Thunder
11-26-2010, 04:26 PM
I hope to get better soon. My medical vacation ends on the 30th, so I go back to work on the 1st. They offered me to return on the 18th, but I told them that I will come back on the 1st for the Food Stamp days. Yesterday, I started on the Halls cherry candy to soothe my throat. It has been getting dry lately, so that is a good sign it is all drying up.

bandnerd
11-26-2010, 06:51 PM
See a freaking doctor. Go to an Access Medical doc-in-a-box at the very least. They can help you. Cough drops and Lortab (oh my) aren't going to help you get better. You're simply masking the symptoms. You have to actually treat the symptoms to get better. Trust me, I'm the person that has learned from too many times of going to the doctor after coughing for a couple of weeks and getting the "you're stupid" lecture.

Thunder
11-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I am feeling a lot better. I did came across a nice discovery. The candy, Mike & Ike, seem to be a miracle. When I chew on them, I only do so halfway, and then swallow. The rough surface really push those white stuff in my throat all the way down out the way. Honey was just too smooth to grab these white stuff on the way down. Btw, I'm sick of the honey.

jmarkross
11-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I am feeling a lot better. I did came across a nice discovery. The candy, Mike & Ike, seem to be a miracle. When I chew on them, I only do so halfway, and then swallow. The rough surface really push those white stuff in my throat all the way down out the way. Honey was just too smooth to grab these white stuff on the way down. Btw, I'm sick of the honey.

Try Fritos...

bandnerd
11-27-2010, 02:22 PM

When you say white stuff, do you mean pus pockets? You might have scraped all that crap down your throat, but if you have pus, then you have an infection and likely need antibiotics...Mike and Ikes may be tasty, but a cure they are not.

I honestly do hope that you are pulling my legs. I could stand to be a couple of inches taller.

Thunder
11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Well, I am thinking these pus formed in the chest/lungs, so when they are coming up and the candy is scraping the throat clean, then they'd go down the body and be dissolved. The candy is not entering the lungs...of course no food does. And when I cough them up, I can just spit them out. Still, getting better and doing quite fine now. Coughs is a lot less now.

jmarkross
11-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, I am thinking these pus formed in the chest/lungs, so when they are coming up and the candy is scraping the throat clean, then they'd go down the body and be dissolved. The candy is not entering the lungs...of course no food does. And when I cough them up, I can just spit them out. Still, getting better and doing quite fine now. Coughs is a lot less now.

I'd call 9-1-1...if you have what you say you have...

bandnerd
11-28-2010, 06:09 AM
No, the pus doesn't come from the lungs, Thunder...oh my god. You likely have an infection, and it is common to have "pus pockets" on your throat. They form ON YOUR THROAT. You're swallowing your pus, which isn't really all that great for you...at least it doesn't seem like it would be. You're probably also going to irritate the crap out of your throat by scraping it down with sugary candy.

Again, go to a doc-in-a-box and get an exam. Please. You are not a doctor, and neither are we. There is a reason these people exist--to stop people like you from doing stupid crap when they are sick and making the rest of us sick!

PennyQuilts
11-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Go to the doctor, Thunder. And quit smoking.

jmarkross
11-28-2010, 09:09 AM
No, the pus doesn't come from the lungs, Thunder...oh my god. You likely have an infection, and it is common to have "pus pockets" on your throat. They form ON YOUR THROAT. You're swallowing your pus, which isn't really all that great for you...at least it doesn't seem like it would be. You're probably also going to irritate the crap out of your throat by scraping it down with sugary candy.

Again, go to a doc-in-a-box and get an exam. Please. You are not a doctor, and neither are we. There is a reason these people exist--to stop people like you from doing stupid crap when they are sick and making the rest of us sick!

Sugar is terrific food for the average bacteria--which is what infection is all about. If all the things you say are true--your body is so compromised it cannot fight infection--or you have a fatal infection a-growin' in your craw...

Thunder
11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, your body knows what it needs, despite knowing of it or not. When you are craving for something, your body is in real need of what is in the craved food. Mine is saying to keep eating Mike & Ike, so I am doing just that. :-)

Why would I need to go to the doctor now? I feel so much better already. Penny made me magical soup. :-D

jmarkross
11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, your body knows what it needs, despite knowing of it or not. When you are craving for something, your body is in real need of what is in the craved food. Mine is saying to keep eating Mike & Ike, so I am doing just that. :-)

Why would I need to go to the doctor now? I feel so much better already. Penny made me magical soup. :-D

Sounds like the logic of a heroin addict...

Matt
11-28-2010, 11:26 AM

It's generally recommended to completely swallow any "white stuff" that has accumulated in your throat.

Bostonfan
12-05-2010, 10:33 AM
what a thread. simply unbelievable.

Thunder
12-06-2010, 12:13 AM
what a thread. simply unbelievable.

Are you sick? Lots of people been getting sick lately. I'm all cured. I think mom is getting sick again...

jmarkross
12-06-2010, 07:45 AM
It's generally recommended to completely swallow any "white stuff" that has accumulated in your throat.

Sick, sick, sick puppy here. This sure smells like a group of 8th graders with a pack of Kools getting "high" while the folks are visiting grandma for the weekend...

Thunder
12-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Sick, sick, sick puppy here. This sure smells like a group of 8th graders with a pack of Kools getting "high" while the folks are visiting grandma for the weekend...

Awww. *hugz* Just eat lots of chicken noodle soup and drink lots of water. <3