View Full Version : Rockwell Plaza

metro
03-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Was driving home from the gym today and noticed in Rockwell Plaza (NW Expressway and Rockwell) that a new PetsMart and Ross Dress for Less is on the way. Also many other buildings are currently under construction on the far back SW corner of the shopping center.

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I used to work at the RadioShack over there. They booted us from our original store that we had occupied for 30 some-odd years so they could put those bigger stores there.

It's definitely improved though!

Patrick
03-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Was driving home from the gym today and noticed in Rockwell Plaza (NW Expressway and Rockwell) that a new PetsMart and Ross Dress for Less is on the way. Also many other buildings are currently under construction on the far back SW corner of the shopping center.

Ever since Target moved in, it seems like things have been looking up for that shopping center. I also noticed the new Ross and PetsMart signs a few days ago when I shopped at the Target there. I was thrilled. There's a good chance other strip center stores may follow.

metro, just out of curiosity, do you work out at the Aspen Athletic Club there? I've looked into it, but haven't ever gotten a membership. Just curious if it was worth it. Send me a PM if you have any info.

mranderson
03-10-2005, 07:33 AM
This has been a nice strip center for years. It was origannly built by Henderson Properties, who also built Brookwood Village and the Southern Hills shoppin center. I am glad they are getting back on track.

Midtowner
03-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Ever since Target moved in, it seems like things have been looking up for that shopping center. I also noticed the new Ross and PetsMart signs a few days ago when I shopped at the Target there. I was thrilled. There's a good chance other strip center stores may follow.

metro, just out of curiosity, do you work out at the Aspen Athletic Club there? I've looked into it, but haven't ever gotten a membership. Just curious if it was worth it. Send me a PM if you have any info.

That's really good for that shopping center. It used to be a really barren place.

Until Target came, that place was like the death knell for any anchor that tried to locate there -- off the top of my head, Venture and KMart both died in that location. The Target there is also extremely nice.

metro
03-10-2005, 09:54 AM

Yes, I do. Its worth it to me but some people have different priorities. Its by far probably the nicest gym open to the public in the metro area. It offers way more services and amenities however you end up paying a little more for those services.

Patrick
03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes, I do. Its worth it to me but some people have different priorities. Its by far probably the nicest gym open to the public in the metro area. It offers way more services and amenities however you end up paying a little more for those services.

Thanks metro for the information. I'll look into it more.

Patrick
03-10-2005, 02:20 PM
That's really good for that shopping center. It used to be a really barren place.

Until Target came, that place was like the death knell for any anchor that tried to locate there -- off the top of my head, Venture and KMart both died in that location. The Target there is also extremely nice.

I think Target as a whole is probably the nicest discount retailer right now. Their stores are clean, the employees are generally friendlier than at Wal-Mart, and the appearance beats Wal-Mart hands down. I also think Target offers more unique novelty items. If you want something unique go to Target, if you want something plain and ordinary, go to Wal-Mart.
Sure, Target is a little more expensive than Wal-Mart, but I think it's more classy.

Also, on a side note, I actually like Target's policy banning solicitors from their stores. Everytime I've goen to Wal-Mart lately, there's always somebody outside the door bumming me for money or trying to get me to buy something. It's annoying.

metro
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I found out another one of the stores going in there. Direct Buy is the one remodeling the SWestern most bldg., the one directly across from Aspen Athletic Club. Direct Buy is a members only club which allows direct purchasing from manufacturers of such items as floor coverings, window treatments, appliances, furniture and other home furnishing needs. Medallion Management is the one handling leasing in Rockwell Plaza.

Pete
05-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Here's a rendering... What now occupies the former Crystal's Pizza location?

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/rockwellplaza.jpg

metro
05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Well it was a Posado's they spent a million in redeveloping Crystals, a nice building that should of been saved. Well a few months ago Chili's from down the street who already had a stand alone building bought it and tore it down. Its now a eyesore. The old chili's building wasnt that old and actually looked better more than the new one and its sea of parking.

Midtowner
05-10-2005, 12:35 PM
I forget the name of the restaurant that occupies the old Crystal's location. Whatever it is, the food was unmemorable, and the place was ridiculously loud.

I spent a couple of years working at the RadioShack in this mall before I finished my undergrad. Nice to see it getting a facelift. 10 years ago, the place was a total dump.

jenncole
05-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Is there one developer for Rockwell Plaza ?

Who is (are) the developer(s) of Rockwell Plaza ?

Midtowner
05-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Who is (are) the developer(s) of Rockwell Plaza ?

I think the owner is Medallion.

metro
05-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I forget the name of the restaurant that occupies the old Crystal's location. Whatever it is, the food was unmemorable, and the place was ridiculously loud.

Did you guys not read my posts directly above yours. I stated, A.) After Crystals it got a million dollar renovation into Posado's a nice mexican restaurant. In the last few months, Chili's from down the street bought it, demolished it, and build an ugly box store with a sea of parking, their old building wasnt even that old. B.) Medallion Management is the one handling the re-development and leasing. Please read before posting unnecessary posts. Thank you.

jenncole
05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Medallion Management is the one handling leasing in Rockwell Plaza.

No need to get hostile. you stated, Medallion was handling leasing. a lessor is not always the developer. I own a few properties on OKC, but I have someone else handle the leasing.

Midtowner
05-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Did you guys not read my posts directly above yours. I stated, A.) After Crystals it got a million dollar renovation into Posado's a nice mexican restaurant. In the last few months, Chili's from down the street bought it, demolished it, and build an ugly box store with a sea of parking, their old building wasnt even that old. B.) Medallion Management is the one handling the re-development and leasing. Please read before posting unnecessary posts. Thank you.

I apologize to your ego for not reading all of your posts. You must be very proud of them. In the future, I swear to not ever read an entire thread before posting.

As far as Posado's, like I said, it was unremarkable and loud. I didn't think it was a very good use of the space at all.

Chili's seems to get a lot more business than Posado's, I assume it went out of business, but you never know, Medallion has refused to renew several leases down there in the name of redevelopment. They forced the moves of both RadioShack and Eckard's.

RadioShack had been in that location for 25+ years, but they did sign onto a new 25 year lease. I can say that while Target brings in a lot of shoppers, that doesn't necessarily translate into business for the rest of the complex.

Jay
05-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Metro I noticed you complain quite a bit about the way people post. You complain if people get off topic, if they post too much or don't read the thread. Since you want to dictate the way people post, the least you could is become a premium member.

metro
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Metro I noticed you complain quite a bit about the way people post. You complain if people get off topic, if they post too much or don't read the thread. Since you want to dictate the way people post, the least you could is become a premium member.

I understand your frustrations. Its not like I enjoy doing it but it is a pet peeve when people don't take the time to read or duplicate a post and take up valuable web space. I realize I am a free member right now. Most of the people on here who waste this space are free members. I have had several people as well as moderators thank me for standing up to do so to keep people from wasting space and staying on topic. The reason that I am not a premium member right now is because I have been unemployed for 4 months and don't start my new job until the last day of the month, plus I ran a city council campaign during this time so my funds are limited. If you would like to donate to a good cause I will let you do so for me otherwise I will have to wait until I am financially able to donate. I hope this clarifies my reasoning.

Pete
05-11-2005, 11:54 AM
metro, you're a great poster and I'm sure everyone here appreciates your contributions -- I know I sure do.

However, if your goal is to help create and maintain a better forum, a little more civility and tact would go a long way. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

metro
05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Thank you Malibu, I will work on it and I hope in turn, people will slow down a bit and find the answer to their question already posted

jenncole
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Yes, Malibu is correct. you make really good contributions to this forum (and thank you for that)..

but.. please remember there are people that are different from you.. and sometimes need a better clarification since sometimes ALL of us (including me) can be a bit vague.

What do I mean by vague.. you ask??

"Originally Posted by metro
Medallion Management is the one handling leasing in Rockwell Plaza"

again, I am just trying to help. Like Malibu said...

"a little more civility and tact would go a long way. And I mean that in the nicest possible way"

Best of Luck

Midtowner
05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey.. did you guys know that Medallion Management was in charge of the property?

metro
06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Looks like Rue 21 clothing store will be moving to this shopping center soon. They just signed a 4,000 sq. ft lease.

jdsplaypin
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Stillwater's getting one this fall also as a sidenote.

jbrown84
07-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Yes, I was extremely upset that the neat former Crystal's Pizza building was torn down for a relocated Chili's. Why couldn't they just tear down the former Chili's building and replace it? I guess it was more about a new location than a new building. The old location is in the strip center that is now mostly empty after Service Merchandise went under.

Leaseme
07-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Actually, Rockwell Acquisitions owns Rockwell Plaza, and CB Richard Ellis manages and leases the project.