View Full Version : Who to contact for neighborhood geography history

rickself
11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey all,
Odd question but I have faith in the forum. We are looking at some property around NW 10th & N Rockwell area (Bethany?). We have been told that the area is built on a dried up riverbed. By chance, anybody know who to contact in the City (OKC) or OK County to find out more?
Planning Dept? Anyone in the forum know what the river was? This is only a mile or so east from Lake Overholser.
The homes in the area are listed as built in 1964.
Thanks - Rick

soonerkev
11-16-2010, 12:10 PM
The Planning Department would probably be your' best bet since they have plats of the area. You might even consider contacting the Oklahoma Geological Survey. Hope those help!

rickself
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, soonerkev. I will contact OGS.

Jim Kyle
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Anyone in the forum know what the river was? This is only a mile or so east from Lake Overholser.
The homes in the area are listed as built in 1964.
Thanks - RickThe river was the North Canadian, now known as the Oklahoma when within OKC limits. Until a major flood in the 1920s, its course came back up north near Reno and Rockwell, and went as far north as the current Fairgrounds. Those small ponds on the north side of the fairgrounds are remnants of the old river channel.

In that flood, the river cut a new channel farther south, and that's the one it follows today.

I don't think it ever got near to NW 10 and Rockwell, though; the closest it got to 10th street was just west of May.

My source for this info was The Oklahoman's archives; search for flood around 1922...

rickself
11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
The river was the North Canadian, now known as the Oklahoma when within OKC limits. Until a major flood in the 1920s, its course came back up north near Reno and Rockwell, and went as far north as the current Fairgrounds. Those small ponds on the north side of the fairgrounds are remnants of the old river channel.

In that flood, the river cut a new channel farther south, and that's the one it follows today.

I don't think it ever got near to NW 10 and Rockwell, though; the closest it got to 10th street was just west of May.

My source for this info was The Oklahoman's archives; search for flood around 1922...
Thanks, Jim! I'll look it up.