View Full Version : Converting an Chevy Tahoe to use Natural Gas fuel

okc_bel_air
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know of any shops or mechanics that can install CNG fuel kits on vehicles?

Thanks

metro
11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I know there is a place in Tulsa that does it. I bet you could call Chesapeake and they could tell you someone local doing it, I bet they'd love to tell you.

okc_bel_air
11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I actually talked to a guy at Chesapeake yesterday and he told me to go to Carter Chevy in Okarchee.

Roadhawg
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
I wonder what it costs to switch over

ewoodard
11-23-2010, 12:26 PM
You can find kits online to convert, and I have found several locations that convert your car. I have also looked at ONG's website and they have a locator to show filling stations. I have thought of doing this myself with my S-10.

Kerry
12-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Here is everything you need to know about CNG for cars.

http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Pages/default.aspx

You can even have home a refeuling station. Keep in mind though, there are only a few vehicles that is legal to convert to CNG and a Chevy Tahoe isn't one of them (thank you EPA). Also, you will never recoup the cost of the conversion. Ford does offer a propane system on every new Ford SUV and F series trucks so no conversion is necessary.

Double Edge
12-03-2010, 06:49 AM
The Oklahoma Alternative Fuels tax credit would have allowed you a healthy credit for that conversion and/or the equipment to refuel but I think they probably killed that credit with the electric vehicle credit since they were part of the same law.

Double Edge
12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I haven't kept up with the changes to the bill but they may have just killed the electric vehicle part. Here's a place to start if you are interested in the tax credit or maybe attempt to talk to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. I looked at converting some of my vehicles to CNG when gas prices were running away.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/OK/5950

hotrodtod
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Hello i just converted a 2007 chevy tahoe to cng bi-fuel for 9500.00 it is currently bening sold on ebay if you would like to see it ! I am a licensed cng installer by the state of oklahoma and have been in this feild for 10 years . can contact me at todd@bradshawcngconversions.com web site is bradshawcngconversions.com harrah area , i do one conversion a month in my shop at home llc. Thanks

Martin
10-29-2011, 08:33 PM
looking at the main page of your website.... is that indicative of a typical tahoe installation? do you basically lose the ability to stow cargo or use the third row seats? -M

icemncmth
10-30-2011, 11:24 AM
I did some checking on this subject for my pickup. I was looking at doing the same setup for my truck that Chesapeak does and I was looking at spending around 10-12,000. Same pretty much for a Tahoe and the tanks are under the truck not in the back. Even with the tax break I can't see how I would make up the difference because you mileage on CNG isn't that great.

Prunepicker
10-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know of any shops or mechanics that can install CNG
fuel kits on vehicles?

Thanks
I tried this with my 1998 Suburban but there isn't a conversion kit for
it. Call ONG and they'll tell you what to do, providing your Tahoe is able
to be converted. Keep your gas tank so you can switch when ng isn't
available.

mlexus74
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
I tried this with my 1998 Suburban but there isn't a conversion kit for
it. Call ONG and they'll tell you what to do, providing your Tahoe is able
to be converted. Keep your gas tank so you can switch when ng isn't
available.

Marvin at www.marvinscng.com in Mustang

Prunepicker
01-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Marvin at www.marvinscng.com in Mustang
This is interesting. I'll give them a call.

metro
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
There is a CNG dealership on NW 39th, just west of Portland, not sure if they also do the conversions or what.