View Full Version : Is North Okc losing the battle to the South Okc suburbs?

kwash
11-13-2010, 04:48 PM
ok so i moved to okc 10 yrs ago and everyone said the northside was where it was at, good schools good neighborhoods good retail and all the money was up north. fast foward to late 2010 and who thinks the northside has been completly ripped apart by south okc( mostly moore). I remember people saying putnam city schools were awesome 10yrs ago, now all i hear is PC schools are a joke and filled by nothing but hood kids now. also people raved about penn square and quail springs mall, but now you go to quail its nothing but hood kids and police everywhere, penn square has its issue now too. the walmart behind penn square has the worst theft in okc by numbers. I was gonna move to a house near expressway and rockwell and a realtor told me no no its all gangs over there. dont even get me started on what realtors say about the 122nd/penn area wow its bad. I mean whats happened to the northside, no new businesses, moore has the premiere theatre now with the warren. there really isnt even a stand alone theatre on the northside. amc quail use to be nice but that place should be renamed amc hoodquail, and the theatre in penn square is a joke. and now this, moore is getting a dave and busters soon, not to mention the buffalo wild wings in moore is one of their busiest most profitable stores in the country. and talk about moore schools, everyone says moore schools is now by far the premiere schools in the state. im not moving to the southside/moore area, im just simply asking okc residents, what has happened to the glitz and glamour or northside okc......

Steve
11-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Nope. The city is losing the battle of seeing sprawl to the far east, far west, far south and far north. I can point out growing affluent areas on each fringe. And I can show how once nice areas like NW 122 and Penn exist also along I-240, etc. What was sprawl in the 1970s, as you point out on the north side, also exists on the south side. It's not good for anybody. I've always felt the "glitz and glamour" as you call it of the northside was always overstated, and that the southside leadership itself sometimes tended to overplay the "oh, we're just poor old southsiders" bit when there was always some very nice wealthy areas going back to the 1970s. You are, btw, somewhat exaggerating conditions on the northside ...

Kerry
11-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Nope. The city is losing the battle of seeing sprawl to the far east, far west, far south and far north. I can point out growing affluent areas on each fringe.

Now if we could just get growth in the core.

adaniel
11-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Steve summed it up nicely. Everthing you described is happening in all older suburbs, in all directions. First off, I think you are stretching some things. "Hoodquail"? Have you been to Crossroads? 122nd and Penn is no worse than 240. Both have way too many apartment complexes that were built in the 70's and look like crap.And you are the first person to describe the Penn Square area as going downhill. Yeah the Belle Isle walmart isn't pretty. But please show me a walmart supercenter that is a mecca of high-end shopping. And gangs? Obviously you have never heard of the Southside Locos.

Moore and the Southside (and even MWC) has definitely cleaned itself up. One must really admire what the city of Moore did after May 3, 1999. Also, its become really hard to get a new home in North OKC/Edmond under $200K, whereas the southern areas are much more affordable. But it hasn't done anything different than when the NW sides of town were developed in the 70s and 80s. So in 10 years will we be talking about how "hood" S. 19th street is? Also something to consider. North of the river (not counting downtown), the large private employers include Chesapeake, MidFirst, and numerous accounting firms, oil and gas producers, lawyers, etc. along NW Expressway and Memorial office corridors. I can't really think of any large cluster of white collar employment on that side of town..maybe Integris or Dell?

flintysooner
11-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I recently drove through my old NW neighborhood and was pretty disappointed in the general upkeep of the area. I don't really understand why so many of the individual properties have been so poorly maintained.

In addition to that I noticed the tremendous increase in the number of people and businesses especially compared to when I moved there in 1973 but even when I left in about 1988.

That's a significant contrast especially to the Moore area and even the I-240 corridor.

Moore could possibly double in population over the next 50 years I think I've read. That would mean going from 50,000 to 100,000 in about 22 sq miles. So the current density is roughly 2500 per sq mile. I looked at one zip code in northwest Oklahoma City and the density was about 3600 per sq mile. Zip codes in far southwest Oklahoma City are much lower but it isn't clear to me exactly how the density can increase significantly unless there are a lot of new apartments built somewhere.

bradzilla
11-13-2010, 06:41 PM
we recently moved from edmond(well the okc area that people refer to as edmond near the kilpatrick and penn / western) to out east near choctaw area - 100 percent satisfied with our decision. but i think most of your concern are the normal transitions a city this size goes through. the bad thing is that most people, including myself dont have any major reservations about driving 30+ minutes to work so it encourages people to move to the fringes.

for the record when i was in my early 20's i lived in moore, I actually thought moore was a better part of town compared to when we lived in edmond.

bradzilla
11-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I can't really think of any large cluster of white collar employment on that side of town..maybe Integris or Dell?

You have a large number of fairly paid government employees and contractors in the south side at tinker, faa, etc.

flintysooner
11-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I've been told that there is a great deal of wealth in south Oklahoma City eligible for investment. One reason for that I was told was that there was a significant number of small business owners and entrepreneurs. I don't know if it is actually true or not but I do know there are a lot of contractors.

The other day I was in the Capitol Hill area and noticed a new, large home being built in the midst of a neighborhood of much smaller houses. I was told the owner was a contractor of some kind and lived in the area around his family and friends. He could afford a new home but decided to stay put and build there.

Kerry
11-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I recently drove through my old NW neighborhood and was pretty disappointed in the general upkeep of the area. I don't really understand why so many of the individual properties have been so poorly maintained.

I think this is pretty common. I went back to our old neighborhood in Tampa after being gone about 5 years and it looked like a bomb went off. Grass wasn't mowed, sidewalks not edges, trees not trimmed, car parked in grass, sheets for curtains. I think the big thing was that when we lived there everone was the original owners so we took a little pride in our new homes. As homes sold the second and third generation owners didn't seem to care as much. For instance, our formal dinning room was filled with formal cherry Queen Anne furniture. The couple that bought our house furnished the room with a pool table. We also noticed that many of the second and their generation owners were renting out their homes.

We eneded up moving to another "in" subdivision. Guess what, people start selling and the pattern is being repeated. Thanks goodness we moved way up the price ladder because at least we get a better class of renter (no pool tables in the living room). Our next home will either be a rural fortress, complete with mote, or in an established urban neighborhood. No more subdivision for us. I would prefer to live in walking distance of things we want to do and along a street car line. My wife always say she doesn't want to live in an urban core environment but every time she goes to her sister's place in downtown Chicago she goes on for days about she walked to get dinner, stopped for lunch at a hole in the wall pizza place, and window shopped on State St. For some reason she can't put two and two together.

PennyQuilts
11-13-2010, 07:26 PM
May and Britton used to be a good area not that long ago. When the grocery store at that intersection was Albertsons (first husband was in the grocery business) it was the one of all the Albertsons in the area that sold the good cuts of meats and the better steaks, with white, upper middle class women who showed up to shop on their way home from working out, or while out running errands to get ready for the weekend party (stay at home relatively young women - big time evidence of well heeled husbands). I could barely believe my eyes when I drove by there about a year ago after having been gone ten years. It was a dump with pawn shops, discount stores and general disrepair. I'd noticed from following the news while I was gone that a lot of crime was popping up on the north central side. That used to be an area that people were proud to live. Even if they didn't end up buying a big house on some land at some point (or Nichols Hills or even Quail Creek) it was nothing be be embarassed about. I've driven through there for old time's sake and kept right on driving with the doors locked. A lot of those places have gone to filthy dumps. It is a crying shame.

Back when I was teaching (Putnam City schools), I was at a nice school. This was twenty years ago. I loved it. Sweet kids, nice parents, everything it ought to be. Reminded me of when I went to school as a kid. The summer before I quit teaching, an apartment complex opened up in the area and we had an influx of thuggish, low income kids that changed the atmosphere overnight. Literally. Fights in the halls, vandalism, text books ripped up and lost (ones that were subsidized so their parents didn't lose the deposit), gross disrespect for the teachers, increased absentiism, kids abruptly not even giving lip service to trying to do well on standardlized tests. In October of that year, I found myself locking the classroom door between bells for safety's sake. I was assaulted in the hall on a break (a kid grabbed me - swore he didn't realize it was a teacher since there was a crowd and I tend to believe him). I started locking up my supplies after a rash of thefts of teachers' purses. I had a few of the "new" kids (and they were just a smallish group in size when compared to the overall population). Their parents never came to parent teacher conferences. Yes, these were black kids but I had black students before all this happened and they were fine - did well.

I came into that school year excited to be teaching but by Christmas, I'd signed up to take the LSAT and look for a different field. I'd never considered going to law school or doing anything except teaching (not counting when I was a kid - I mean that once I began teaching I thought I'd found my calling). That was my last year teaching kids. It happened just that fast. You simply could not compare the orderly, sweet kids who, although they were junior high and goofy as a result, were still KIDS, to the thugs that invaded the school and didn't seem to have any ambition or understanding that they were there to get an education. It rapidly became an armed camp between the different groups within the student body. Kids that should have been flirting with the girls and showing off on the football field were suddenly bringing knives to school for protection (one of my kids was suspended when he brought a knife to school for that reason - he showed me the knife to let me know he had it but the zero tolerance by the district caused him problems). His parents were livid and I begged the principal to give him another chance but his hands were tied to the extent SOMETHING had to be done - the kiddo got a short suspension but could have been expelled. Didn't matter, he didn't come back.

And as for the southside - being a northside girl, I couldn't imagine why anyone would go to the southside for any reason. We thought of it as dirty and crime ridden with small homes and crappy schools. That may never have been true but things were so swell up north that most of us had no reason to look to the south to find out for sure. I'd drive through on my way to Norman on I240 and never wanted to stop. Since I moved back (and live on the far SW side) I've been amazed at how the southside has developed in the past ten years. Very impressed! I know one of the Moore school principals and she seemed dedicated and proud of her district, overall.

Steve
11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Not sure I can understand your fear driving through Britton and May Avenue. The Village, Quail Creek, Lakeside still relatively nice. Now, Hefner and Western - that's a once nice area I definitely lock my doors while driving through.

PennyQuilts
11-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Not sure I can understand your fear driving through Britton and May Avenue. The Village, Quail Creek, Lakeside still relatively nice. Now, Hefner and Western - that's a once nice area I definitely lock my doors while driving through.

That isn't the area I meant - sorry I wasn't more clear. By north central side, I meant the area nearer to Broadway north of 63rd.

Steve
11-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I think you're referring to the area between Wilshire and Hefner, Broadway to Pennsylvania. Um, yeah... not doing that great.

progressiveboy
11-13-2010, 07:43 PM
As a former North OKC resident, and trying not to sound partial, however, I would take the North side of OKC anyday over South OKC. The few dealings I had with people from the South side were unkempt, nasty, snaggle toothed people. Yes, I realize that Northside has a few, however overall you have much better neighborhoods like Gaillardia, Rose Creek, Crown Heights, Nichols Hills, Mesta Park that I would take over anything "South" of the river with the exception of Norman. When I lived in OKC, Northside people looked cleaner and better groomed. On the Northside, you have better shopping, better restaurants and overall a cleaner enviornment. The Southside has empty Crossroads Mall, tons of gangs, I would even bet that the Southside has a higher crime rate. As far as I am concerned, Moore and South OKC is most definite, "Redneck" Riveria, LOL. Just my honest opinion.

PennyQuilts
11-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I think you're referring to the area between Wilshire and Hefner, Broadway to Pennsylvania. Um, yeah... not doing that great.

Yup. I used to live just south of there for a short time right after I married - that was decades ago, I know. Still - wow. I am sure I am not the only old timer who has had that experience. My mother kept wanting to drive through the worst parts of DC because she lived there as a child, 70 years before and had such fond memories.

PennyQuilts
11-13-2010, 07:45 PM
http://www.news9.com/Global/category.asp?C=161407

Rover
11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
This thread title and first post smacks of more southside insecurity. To pick out a couple of spots that have aged and to claim that represents the north side is just ignorant. There are many amazing neighborhoods on the north side and in Edmond. Somebody needs to get out more and actually drive the city before trying to make some indefensible case.

progressiveboy
11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
As a former Northside resident, I can attest that I would take the Northside of the City over Southside any day. Better restaurants, better shopping overall cleaner neighborhoods. You have Gaillardia, Rose Creek, Nichols Hills, Crown Heights, Mesta Park, Lake Aluma and even well maintained areas such as Lakehurst and Quail Creek. What few dealings I had with people on the "Southside" were people that had an unkempt appearance, nasty looking snaggle toothed rednecks. Sorry to sound like an elitist, however that is my perception and honest opinion. Yes, Northside has a few problems and a few unkempt looking people but I can assure you that all the prominent CEO's and important people in the community reside on the Northside. I find the Southside so "undesireable" with the exception of Norman. Moore and S OKC are too "redneck" for me.

PennyQuilts
11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
As someone who lived in Lake Aluma as a kid, I don't think you can count Lake Aluma as the stereotypical north side. It is firmly on the NE side more akin to Edmond than OKC. It is its own township.

flintysooner
11-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Moore and S OKC are too "redneck" for me.I'm certain that is true.

Steve
11-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I see this and ask if it's not the same old, same old south/north hate baiting we've seen for decades. And really, where did that get us as a city?

Easy180
11-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Exactly...believe we have already been thru these slam each others neighborhoods threads before

Where you or yo mama chose to live is great and everywhelse is shizz...we got it

stlokc
11-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm with Steve. Same old blather, different incarnation. "Losing the battle" is so melodramatic. If there's any "battle" it's the core of the city versus new sprawl (in all directions). People by and large don't move en masse from north suburbs to south suburbs or vice-versa. What tends to happen generationally is people move farther out on whatever side their families have always lived on. Crown Heights families become Quail Creek families become Edmond families. Capitol Hill families become I-240 families become Westmoore families. There are new strip centers in Moore, there are new strip centers on Memorial Road. There are crack houses in the inner south side and the inner north side, and as the city grows, formerly outer areas morph into inner areas in all directions. Every single city in the US experiences this. And Stereotypes like "snaggle tooth citizens" don't do anybody any good. Really, aren't we beyond this by now?

Patrick
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
I concur with what has been said. Urban sprawn is continuing both north and south. The good areas south have moved further south to Moore. The good areas north have moved further north to the Edmond and Deer Creek areas. Only, as a whole, the areas north are much wealthier than the areas south. And to call Quail "hoodville" or whatever, is stretching it. Moore has a JC Penney and Gordmans. Ummm Quail has a Macy's and Dillards, both of which left Crossroads and wouldn't locate to Moore due to "demographics."

plmccordj
11-13-2010, 10:51 PM
While I will agree with this thread being a little too set up for starting a fight, I think our city has grown enough that saying North or South are too broad of terms. Most of the area that people are referring to as South could legitimately be called South Central because the area South of Reno but North of I-240 is where many are referring to as being gang ridden. That area while South, is more of an inner city (South central) area as compared to South of I-240. I know that many people have never seen the area near Early Wine. I think by most standards, that is a relatively high end part of town. To refer to "South OKC" in broad terms sort of groups a vast area together.

Now to join into the fight... :) We are in the market to build a new house and have chosen the far South part of town because the same house costs significantly more when built in North OKC or Edmond. While this may be okay for some, I just cannot justify the added costs. There is no offense to anyone on that side of town. It is just the added cost that helped me make my decision. I really do not go to ANY of the malls in the metro so having Penn Square or Quail Springs nearby does not appeal to me at all. In the remote chance that I would go to any of those places, I can always drive.

mike1k
11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Kwash, can you tell me more about Dave and Buster's coming to Moore? That would be awesome for my kids. I live in he 73170 area code, and for those snotty north siders, 73170 is the wealthiest zip code in OKC.

HOT ROD
11-14-2010, 01:57 AM
very good point, I think all of the inner city areas are quite similar, aside from the distinct difference in the Heritage neighbourhoods of the inner north. But there are many ghettos in all inner city hoods regardless of north side, south side, eastside, or west side. That is just how big cities are; but it is nice that OKC's core is steadily improving and we're hearing about new/big homes being built in the inner city. I hope that trend ramps up to take advantage of downtown's renaissance.

Hopefully we can have the inner city grit co-exist with the suburban 'sprawl'.

mburlison
11-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Let's be clear, there are apts and then there are apts which are (largely) Section 8 housing and/or "low rent". Plenty of good folks live in apartments ;).

PennyQuilts
11-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Let's be clear, there are apts and then there are apts which are (largely) Section 8 housing and/or "low rent". Plenty of good folks live in apartments ;).

Let's be clear that people who don't own property tend to be more mobile and don't typically sink additional money to improve or maintain the property. It all comes down to how willing the landlord is to maintain the property, generally. Transient renters, not matter their individual moral or economic character, are inherently less stable than long term property owners - stable meaning in terms of staying, improving or even maintaining apartments. Plenty of non section 8 or low rent apartments go downhill in a hurry because the people living in apartments who are economically sound tend to move on to their own homes on a regular basis. The economically stable ones that stay in apartments a long time tend to be older or long term single. The vast majority of apartment dwellers not in those groups aren't planning to stay in an apartment for any great length of time and are only facing the loss of a deposit if they don't maintain the interior of their apartment. A deposit of a month's rent is a drop in the bucket in what it costs to maintain a single family dwelling in a condition that would maintain its value. Moreover, to drop more money in it starts cutting into savings that could be used to buy their own homes. At best, apartments tend to decline in value, no matter who moves in outside of the groups I mentioned.

BG918
11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
You have a large number of fairly paid government employees and contractors in the south side at tinker, faa, etc.

Also OU and all of the businesses related to it in Norman. There are many in S. OKC/Moore that commute to Norman.

flintysooner
11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I understand the argument that people who rent may not take as good care of their property as owners but that doesn't really explain why so many of the owner occupied properties in my old addition are so poorly maintained.

Also, it seems to me that a longterm owner of an apartment project should have a vested interest in maintaining their properties.

The Lindsey Group seems to try and maintain their properties I've seen but other apartment projects seem to practically deteriorate overnight.

Ginkasa
11-14-2010, 12:33 PM
What few dealings I had with people on the "Southside" were people that had an unkempt appearance, nasty looking snaggle toothed rednecks. Sorry to sound like an elitist, however that is my perception and honest opinion... Moore and S OKC are too "redneck" for me.

While it doesn't have the historical or societal significance as race or gender, I believe your apparent tendency to judge an entire group of people based solely upon where they live is just as bad as other prejudices as racism or sexism in regards to how those prejudices reflect upon you as a person (i.e. not good).

dismayed
11-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I think mainly it's just an urban sprawl issue, and that is happening everywhere in the city. To say a person would be better off living on the North Side compared to 'anywhere' on the South Side is short-sighted. I'd much rather have a million-dollar home in The Fountains or Rivendell (both south side) than live in a shack in the inner-north area. The opposite is true too, there are many great North areas preferable over the South. The point is that there are great and bad places to live all around town.

There is one aspect to the original poster's point that I can see. Anecdotally, it does seem to me like the areas on the South side that have been bad are still bad, but that it hasn't really spread out as much as it has in past decades. On the other hand the blight has seemed to spread out a bit more up North. I am thinking that this might just have to do with housing development patterns... I'm guessing the South Side is a bit more land-locked and has not had as much flight from its areas in recent years, whereas the North Side seems to have developed above Memorial quite extensively over the last decade. For example it really does feel like everyone who used to live in the 122nd area just moved up to the new Piedmont/Edmond area.... That probably did create a vacuum of sorts.

flintysooner
11-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Good points dismayed.

I wonder, too, if the aftermath of Penn Square had quite a lot to do with people leaving at least some of those northwest areas. Seems to me an awful lot of people left in the mid to late 80's including me.

windowphobe
11-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I've lived in all four quadrants, for a total of 35 years. Northeast was most convenient to work, but I'm pretty much settled in the northwest now - though this time of year, driving home from work is an exercise in experimental blindness.

Rover
11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Kwash, can you tell me more about Dave and Buster's coming to Moore? That would be awesome for my kids. I live in he 73170 area code, and for those snotty north siders, 73170 is the wealthiest zip code in OKC.

As a snotty north sider, I could point out Gaillardia if it had its own zip code. You can do amazing things with demographics by moving a few lines here and there.

Try adding North Quail, Gaillardia, Mullholland, Nichols Hills, Northwestern Estates, Fairview Farms, etc., etc. and I think the domos on the north side are okay.

I don't think Dave and Busters is anything that the higher income areas actually want. In fact, D&B is in quite a few outlet malls, etc. It is a game arcade with decent food.

Rover
11-14-2010, 04:42 PM
People need to get out and drive this city before they make dumb statements.

I used to complain that people became to self impressed and satisfied because they hadn't traveled much and compared the rest of the world. Heck, now it appears people don't get out of their own neighborhood or quadrant.

There is no battle to be won. North, south, who cares. Live where you want to live for whatever is important for you and for what you can afford. This animosity or breast beating gets old and is why OKC never was a CITY before...too many individual agendas. I thought we were past this.

jdg78
11-14-2010, 05:09 PM
You people amaze me... I moved back from Tulsa a few years ago and thought we killed the north vs. south debate.... I now CHOOSE to live on the SW side of town and now have 2 parks within two miles that are by far the best in the city (South Lakes and Earlywine). The SW side boasts some of the finest neighborhoods in OKC if you do not live in Gallardia or Nicholls hIlls. I would take Rivendalle on the Lake or Cascatta or Rie De Bella over Rose Creak any day... The only people tha live on north side and brag are those that do not live in Gallardia or Nicholls Hills... The same reason the majority of South Siders who have money live south... Ask me how many neighbors I have that at are members of OKC Golf and Country Club or Gallardia.... The number may suprise you....

jdg78
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Rover... It is called demographics by zip code.. Dumb A**..... Trying to feel better by including areas around you.. Yeah if Gallardia was its own zip code, it would be impressive... but so would a lot of areas if you had less than 100 houses in them... Just saying...

bornhere
11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Well said.

OKC Heel
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Am i to read the original post with the word "hood" meaning black folks/minorities? I'm just curious.

As for North/south. The south part of the city has done some nice things, but the North side will always be the better side of town to be on. In every city i've ever lived, North=good South= not so much. The same is true for OKC. Yea, you've got some bad pockets, but the good restaurants, shopping, etc is where? You have a movie theater in Moore. Great.

The only problem that exists on the North side - in particular 122nd/penn, western/penn low rent apartments. As soon as those places are condemmned - and they eventually will be, you'll have your safe white washed part of town back. The village is in the process of doing this. Step 1 was getting rid of the apartments near penn and hefner behind the old wal mart. Look for a major change to the Buy for less shopping center to occur soon.

Stew
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I've lived literally all sides of the metro. OKC (Surrey Hills and Blue Stem), Edmond, Moore, Norman, McLoud, Newalla, Choctaw and Midwest City. Of all the places I've lived in and around the metro I must say I prefer Moore although I can't live there because my woman, a born and bred north side snob, refuses to soil herself with Moore living. And that just makes me sad.

metro
11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
mike, Dave & Busters is primarily for adults, and not kids anyways. If you live in Moore, you already have Andy Alligators and Double Daves or whatever for kids. Dave & Busters isn't a place to take kids.

BG918
11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
As for North/south. The south part of the city has done some nice things, but the North side will always be the better side of town to be on. In every city i've ever lived, North=good South= not so much. The same is true for OKC.

It's the complete opposite in Tulsa. Though just like OKC there are nice, growing areas in the north part of the city except they are in Owasso and Skiatook. OKC is lucky that they annexed all of that land to the south or else all of that new growth would be in Moore.

In OKC you had major growth for many years on the northside and in Edmond. Now that growth has shifted more to the south toward south OKC, Moore and Norman. Proximity to two major employment centers (OKC and Norman) will sustain growth on the southside of the metro for years to come.

Rover
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
In OKC you had major growth for many years on the northside and in Edmond. Now that growth has shifted more to the south toward south OKC, Moore and Norman.

This alone tells me you aren't familiar with the north side. People on all sides of town need to get out more and REALLY become familiar with the city before broadcasting gross generallities and before stating HOPES as FACT. There is a lot going on all over the metro area. Growth in one area is not at the expense of other areas. But, as long as the headquarters of companies are locating downtown and north, then the higher paid execs of the companies GENERALLY are going to live within an easy commute.

On the south side, the growth of Norman as a business center as well as a higher ed center, combined with the affordability of land and houses and cheap taxes in Moore, as well as the combined population has spurred long overdue and needed commercial development. But north OKC and Edmond aren't suffering either.

metro
11-15-2010, 01:27 PM
South OKC needs some midrise office towers to compete with the N. side.

Stew
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
South OKC needs some midrise office towers to compete with the N. side.

It's not a competition.

PennyQuilts
11-15-2010, 02:05 PM
In OKC you had major growth for many years on the northside and in Edmond. Now that growth has shifted more to the south toward south OKC, Moore and Norman.

This alone tells me you aren't familiar with the north side. People on all sides of town need to get out more and REALLY become familiar with the city before broadcasting gross generallities and before stating HOPES as FACT. There is a lot going on all over the metro area. Growth in one area is not at the expense of other areas. But, as long as the headquarters of companies are locating downtown and north, then the higher paid execs of the companies GENERALLY are going to live within an easy commute.

On the south side, the growth of Norman as a business center as well as a higher ed center, combined with the affordability of land and houses and cheap taxes in Moore, as well as the combined population has spurred long overdue and needed commercial development. But north OKC and Edmond aren't suffering either.

What is wrong with the statement? I lived on the northside for thirty years, moved away ten years, then moved back to the southside, last year. I am amazed at how much the southside is exploding and how stagnent, compared to previously, the north has become. I had the same thought that the north had gone about as far as it was going to go for awhile and interest (and land) was more attractive to developers on the south side. Developers go where the excitement is, lots of times - it is free advertising and the "next big thing."

okclee
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
It's not a competition.

That's right Metro, it's not a competition, it's a battle.

Rover
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
What is wrong with the statement? I lived on the northside for thirty years, moved away ten years, then moved back to the southside, last year. I am amazed at how much the southside is exploding and how stagnent, compared to previously, the north has become. I had the same thought that the north had gone about as far as it was going to go for awhile and interest (and land) was more attractive to developers on the south side. Developers go where the excitement is, lots of times - it is free advertising and the "next big thing."

I think the development going on on the Southside is great and great for our city. That does not mean that great development is not ALSO going on up north. There are some great neighborhoods that have been developed within the last 5 -10 years and even later. It isn't an either/or. Driving around north of Kilpatrick reveals any number of great neighborhoods and commercial development.

I just don't understand why the unnecessary and erroneuous comparisons. Anyway, I thought this forum was more about downtown where we can all come together, not the tired old devisive north vs. south, east vs west posturing.

PennyQuilts
11-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I just don't understand why the unnecessary and erroneuous comparisons. Anyway, I thought this forum was more about downtown where we can all come together, not the tired old devisive north vs. south, east vs west posturing.

Oh, well, it is an old feud and people have fun with it. But I didn't think BG was engaging in that - he just seemed (to me) to be describing something he'd observed without making an issue of it.

windowphobe
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
In every city i've ever lived, North=good South= not so much.

You've obviously never lived in Tulsa. :)

Let's see if we can start an Eastside versus Westside feud.

Spartan
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't want to sound defensive because the last thing I feel the need to defend is the southside.. but for those who think the southside is full of ignorant blue collar folk, that's interesting because I'm from the southside and my whole family lives on the southside.

The only dichotomy that exists in my mind is that the north side is more urban, or more successfully urban I guess we should say, whereas the southside is less successful in its urban parts. And it's really a huge shame because the Capitol Hill region of town (which is really a large area, from the river to 44th) has a lot of hidden gems and just tons of potential. Really, the only thing I've ever liked about C2S is its potential to awaken the adjacent parts of Capitol Hill (the north half of it I guess).

I would totally second Steve's sentiment. It's not one suburb losing to another. It's the center city (I-240 to I-44) losing to all the suburbs combined. Yeah, it's Moore competing with Edmond, and other suburb v. another suburb. But the inner city isn't even competing. Look what happened to Crossroads, and frankly, OKC deserved to get its tax base robbed if that is the best that OKC can offer up for the south metro. If anything, it speaks to how much the southside has evolved that people were no longer willing to support that crappy mall. OKC needs to evolve at the same pace that the rest of the south metro does. And OKC is going to need to compete in its own unique way, not offer up more of the same that Moore already has a monopoly on. OKC will no longer even be able to compete with those sprawly Moore strip malls, and this is a good thing.

Let's face it. If someone is more inclined to want the mega strip malls with huge wasteful parking lots and drive-thru lanes and traffic gridlock--Moore is more strategically positioned at the center of the south metro, and that will be able to trump anything that OKC is able to do--to that end it doesn't even matter that OKC doesn't have the land to start up a massive area similar to Memorial Rd or 19th in Moore. OKC will need to put forward something that can lure in an entirely different, and perhaps even more affluent, piece of the south metro demographic. I would really really encourage them to get creative with Capitol Hill and other existing areas inside 240. People that live in the affluent neighborhoods in 73170 mostly work downtown already and would support retail between their homes and downtown if it offered something unique and worthwhile. There is no reason to believe they would stay away from the so-called "barrio" because many use Western Avenue (a strategic corridor for development) for their commutes, and everyone loves to get authentic Mexican food in that part of town..many graduated from Capitol Hill and U.s. Grant back in the day. There is no rift between affluent southside and poorhouse southside despite that I-240 clearly divides the two.

I think even though Moore is closer for most of the southside than downtown, traffic in Moore is getting so bad and hectic that I think more upscale inner-south retail would almost even have a convenience advantage, as hard as it is to believe. The southside Target is at 44th and Western, and they will probably never close that store. The city does have a masterplan for the 44th corridor that if actually enacted, we could see a competitive business area emerge.

Spartan
11-16-2010, 09:46 PM
You've obviously never lived in Tulsa. :)

Or Kansas City. St Louis. Pittsburgh. Charlotte. Nashville. Denver. And so on.

And actually, in more places than I can think of, north is actually the bad area..OKC, Raleigh (I assume being what OKC Heel is basing his claim off of), Dallas, Atlanta, etc are just an anomaly to that. West/East is certainly a more common divide, such as with Houston, Philly, LA, Minnie, Austin, Little Rock, and so on.

soonerfan_in_okc
11-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Im not so sure why some of you seem inclined to hate on the north side. yea, im biased, because that is where i grew up and my parents still live, but it still is a great place. I graduated from PCN in 08, and all of the hate on the PC school district seems to be a bit ridiculous. The district just passed a huge bond issue to keep it up to par with the other districts, so there is no need to think it is going to go down hill anytime soon. Unless of course you are racist, and think that the influx of minorities to the area means it is going to get worse. My education in HS has served me fine here at OU too. There are plenty of people from other districts around the state and texas that people consider elite, yet we all learned roughly the same things and came into OU with the same skill sets.

I think the NW side/pc district has a large amount of 125-200k homes that do need to be taken care of better, but at the same time there are a number of places around PCN at least that still are selling new homes. There is land, and people still want to live in the city.

kguff
03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
OK i'll just state facts! not adjust facts to suit myself

Northside has more restaurants
the highest grossing zip code in the state is on the southside
drugs are more prevalent on the northside
more murders happen on the northside
the southside loco's are in jail or deported

betts
03-08-2012, 12:11 AM
It's nice not to care. I like the middle!

BoulderSooner
03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
It's nice not to care. I like the middle!

+1