View Full Version : Oklahoma liquor laws

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

bluedogok
07-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Most of the stores here in the Denver area with beer caves are large footprint stores, some up to almost 90,000 sf even with the one license per owner limit. One store has advertised 500 different beers in stock.

Easy180
07-31-2018, 06:05 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone know if taprooms will be able to sell higher point beer after 9? Just wondering if they can stay open later after the law goes into effect.

euphjay
07-31-2018, 09:00 PM
Yes, I asked that very question last weekend at Stonecloud Brewery when they were kicking us all out at 9 pm. They said it will change on Oct 1 to be able to stay open later.

sooner333
08-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Here is an article about changes coming to OU gamedays. Not sure how they’ll pull this off without mass confusion.

http://www.normantranscript.com/news/university_of_oklahoma/new-alcohol-laws-to-bring-game-day-changes-too/article_3f88760d-97fa-5e6c-a412-825646907570.html

jedicurt
08-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Here is an article about changes coming to OU gamedays. Not sure how they’ll pull this off without mass confusion.

http://www.normantranscript.com/news/university_of_oklahoma/new-alcohol-laws-to-bring-game-day-changes-too/article_3f88760d-97fa-5e6c-a412-825646907570.html

same way the high point beer tents at norman music fest, ect have worked for a long time. yes the first game, there are going to be people who aren't going to understand why things changed... but groups have been having to do all of these things for awhile now... it's not like it's brand new... it's just now more people are all under the same enforcement.

sooner333
08-09-2018, 12:57 PM
same way the high point beer tents at norman music fest, ect have worked for a long time. yes the first game, there are going to be people who aren't going to understand why things changed... but groups have been having to do all of these things for awhile now... it's not like it's brand new... it's just now more people are all under the same enforcement.

I’m definitely for the new laws as a whole and wouldn’t consider losing this element of campus corner and the gameday experience a dealbreaker (as years go by it’s less and less of that experience anyway). But I think it’s too bad that it’s changing.

jedicurt
08-09-2018, 01:04 PM
I’m definitely for the new laws as a whole and wouldn’t consider losing this element of campus corner and the gameday experience a dealbreaker (as years go by it’s less and less of that experience anyway). But I think it’s too bad that it’s changing.

we just need to keep modernizing and allowing for cities and counties to be able to make some more judgments on their own... because then norman could eventually create an "open Container" zone for campus corner that could allow you to walk with high point beer, etc... but we are still a ways away from being able to make things like that happen

jerrywall
08-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Festival zones. The State Fair, Bricktown, Campus Corner, plus more. I'm still not sure how H&8th and Heard on Hurd will work. Also, Pride?

BoulderSooner
08-09-2018, 01:34 PM

They really should keep it business as usual for the first 4 home games and promote/eductate the changes for the entire month of September.

This is one of the things the hopefully the legislature will address in the next session

sooner333
08-09-2018, 01:41 PM
we just need to keep modernizing and allowing for cities and counties to be able to make some more judgments on their own... because then norman could eventually create an "open Container" zone for campus corner that could allow you to walk with high point beer, etc... but we are still a ways away from being able to make things like that happen

Norman is effectively an open container zone in the city. The issue is more about vendor enforcement so as not to lose their license rather than police enforcement. But yes, it would be nice if there could be exceptions to removing open containers from the point of sale. It’s part of what makes campus corner unique compared to other campus bar districts across the country.

Bunty
08-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Liquor laws to impact Eskimo Joe's promos, operations - http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/liquor-laws-to-impact-eskimo-joe-s-promos-operations/article_95772262-a0cf-528b-9855-7b623534d370.html

Bullbear
08-30-2018, 01:15 PM
it stated several times in that article about happy hours being permitted once this begins. I wasn't aware of that change.
anyone know what the new rule is for happy hour specials? I know before it was a no go completely.
( clearly I am more interested in a true happy hour special than a 3.2 beer bust )

brianinok
09-01-2018, 04:03 PM
I looked for a while, but this thread is 68 pages long. Can anyone quickly bullet point what the new laws are going to do when w/r/t wine? It's pretty clear what's going on with beer because everyone is talking about it in the last few pages of this thread. Will we be able to buy wine in grocery stores? Will we be able to order wine online and ship it here? Will we be able to buy wine while visiting a winery, say in Sonoma CA or anywhere really, and have them ship it home to us here? Thanks!

foodiefan
09-01-2018, 06:15 PM
. . not sure about shipping to home, but was in Sam's Club (39th/May) and one of their personnel showed me where the wine will be. . .back of the store between the cold food (West wall) and the seasonal. He reminded me no hard liquor (unlike Texas). . .but baby steps!!

Bunty
09-02-2018, 12:10 PM
. . not sure about shipping to home, but was in Sam's Club (39th/May) and one of their personnel showed me where the wine will be. . .back of the store between the cold food (West wall) and the seasonal. He reminded me no hard liquor (unlike Texas). . .but baby steps!!

Getting rid of 3.2% beer is a huge thing. Liquor stores having walk in refrigerated beer caves is something else, too. Years ago letting liquor stores open during voting hours was a baby step.

This is no baby step!
http://okie.world/photos/32beer.jpg

CCOKC
09-03-2018, 06:09 AM
I looked for a while, but this thread is 68 pages long. Can anyone quickly bullet point what the new laws are going to do when w/r/t wine? It's pretty clear what's going on with beer because everyone is talking about it in the last few pages of this thread. Will we be able to buy wine in grocery stores? Will we be able to order wine online and ship it here? Will we be able to buy wine while visiting a winery, say in Sonoma CA or anywhere really, and have them ship it home to us here? Thanks!
http://freethegrapes.org
According to this site wine will be legal to ship to Oklahoma next month.

brianinok
09-03-2018, 08:46 AM
http://freethegrapes.org
According to this site wine will be legal to ship to Oklahoma next month.Thanks! Not a lot of info there, but as it leaves open regulations, permits etc., but it sure looks like we will be open to shipments next month. If so, that's great!

Johnb911
09-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Getting rid of 3.2% beer is a huge thing. Liquor stores having walk in refrigerated beer caves is something else, too. Years ago letting liquor stores open during voting hours was a baby step.

This is no baby step!
http://okie.world/photos/32beer.jpg

Is that a Walmart issue or an everywhere issue?

barrettd
09-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Grand Cru just posted to their Facebook page they'll have full strength Miller/Coors/etc starting today.

LakeEffect
09-04-2018, 01:38 PM

We're members of a winery's club in Upstate New York, and have been since Nov 2017. We receive shipments already. They said it's legal.

Libbymin
09-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Is that a Walmart issue or an everywhere issue?

I do know that the 3.2 distributors are stopping the sale of 3.2 beer to a lot of the Oklahoma restaurants in September.

jedicurt
09-05-2018, 12:07 PM
I do know that the 3.2 distributors are stopping the sale of 3.2 beer to a lot of the Oklahoma restaurants in September.

and a large reason for that is that AB InBev has stopped production of most of it's 3.2 beers as of the start of this month. this is because Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota and Utah are the only other 3.2 beer states remaining. and Colorado is only 3.2 in grocery stores. AB InBev announced back in December that they were going to stop producing most of their 3.2 brands, as Oklahoma was close to %50 of all of the 3.2 beer sales. I don't know if MillerCoors is doing the same.

bchris02
09-05-2018, 12:55 PM
and a large reason for that is that AB InBev has stopped production of most of it's 3.2 beers as of the start of this month. this is because Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota and Utah are the only other 3.2 beer states remaining. and Colorado is only 3.2 in grocery stores. AB InBev announced back in December that they were going to stop producing most of their 3.2 brands, as Oklahoma was close to %50 of all of the 3.2 beer sales. I don't know if MillerCoors is doing the same.

I've always wondered that out of the five states that held on to 3.2 beer why Oklahoma was the only state where AB and MillerCoors didn't offer the full-strength versions of their most popular products. I'm sure that is the reason 3.2 beer has remained so popular in Oklahoma while being only a very small percentage of beer sold in the other four states.

Jersey Boss
09-05-2018, 02:16 PM
^^ It had to do with Oklahoma not allowing the breweries to supply exclusive distributors.

Urbanized
09-05-2018, 03:03 PM
^^ Yes and I believe also the lack of refrigeration in liquor stores. They simply were going to sell far more cold product that room temp, so why bother with the strong product? There honestly was very little difference in the alcohol content between most 3.2 offerings and their full strength counterparts, anyway.

jedicurt
09-06-2018, 10:45 AM
There honestly was very little difference in the alcohol content between most 3.2 offerings and their full strength counterparts, anyway.

shhh... be careful saying this because people don't want to believe it! lol

bchris02
09-06-2018, 11:08 AM
shhh... be careful saying this because people don't want to believe it! lol

It's both true and not true. When it comes to domestic light beers eg. Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc, then yes, the difference between the 3.2 version and the full-strength version is usually somewhere between 0.1-0.5% ABV which is negligible. The difference is much greater for full-strength brews. I can definitely taste the difference in the 3.2 version of Budweiser, PBR, Blue Moon, Dos Equis, etc. The 3.2 version tastes watered down and it is.

Bullbear
09-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Sams is clearing out their 3.2 stock. two 12 packs of Modelo for 6.91. Mikes hard lemonade 24 pack for 3.91

barrettd
09-06-2018, 11:42 AM
It's both true and not true. When it comes to domestic light beers eg. Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc, then yes, the difference between the 3.2 version and the full-strength version is usually somewhere between 0.1-0.5% ABV which is negligible. The difference is much greater for full-strength brews. I can definitely taste the difference in the 3.2 version of Budweiser, PBR, Blue Moon, Dos Equis, etc. The 3.2 version tastes watered down and it is.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to a better tasting Miller Lite, not a higher ABV Miller Lite, for those occasions when I stock my fridge with cheap domestic beer.

Urbanized
09-06-2018, 12:10 PM

I'm definitely not defending 3.2 beer. I'm on record here many times hating on it, and pointing out that in many cases it is LITERALLY watered down. Just saying that the big beer companies obviously decided along the way that under the old laws they were going to sell tons of cold 3.2 vs very little of the strong beer version of the same, warm and in a liquor store. So they ran with it. Oklahoma created the perfect business conditions for crappy beer.

Jersey Boss
09-06-2018, 02:06 PM
3.2 or 6.0 it does not matter to me. "Beer" from AB, MC, or any other factory brewery operation still will not cross my lips.

ultimatesooner
09-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Agreed. I'm looking forward to a better tasting Miller Lite, not a higher ABV Miller Lite, for those occasions when I stock my fridge with cheap domestic beer.

I like cheap domestic beer because i also like expensive toys

bluedogok
09-06-2018, 05:54 PM
The Texas Sam's or Costco stores that I have been in (Austin, Dallas, Midland) did not liquor in the store itself, just beer and wine. That was true when I was in the Sam's in Midland on Tuesday. The Costco stores (and Costco/Sam's here in Colorado) have separate liquor stores attached to their buildings operated by independent sellers leasing space from them. The Southpark Meadows Sam's in Austin was built about 2009 and did not have the liquor store at all, none of the ones in the Austin area had one at that time. The Costco at Mopac & WM Cannon and Research Pkwy had one. You don't need a card to buy in those attached liquor stores, it is a separate purchase.

ctchandler
09-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Bluedogok,
You do know that the Texas liquor laws vary by county don't you? That could explain what you have found in some Sam's or Costco's.
C. T.

barrettd
09-07-2018, 09:04 AM
I like cheap domestic beer because i also like expensive toys

I do enjoy craft beer, IPAs, etc. but if I'm drinking in bulk (football-watching, meat-smoking, sitting-on-the-patio-all-day Saturdays), I'm drinking Miller Lite or its equivalent. Plus it frees up money for ribs, or brisket, or a new smoker, or....

Bill Robertson
09-07-2018, 01:34 PM
I do enjoy craft beer, IPAs, etc. but if I'm drinking in bulk (football-watching, meat-smoking, sitting-on-the-patio-all-day Saturdays), I'm drinking Miller Lite or its equivalent. Plus it frees up money for ribs, or brisket, or a new smoker, or....
I used to drink a lot of craft beer but the last few years I find myself just drinking Coors Light or Michelob Ultra. So the law changes won’t affect me at all unless it causes beer to change price considerably.

sooner88
09-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Homeland on May already has their shelves stocked with wine, etc. - seems a little early, but still cool to see.

bchris02
09-07-2018, 02:47 PM

I agree. I’m usually a craft beer drinker but once I get to the point where I just want to maintain my buzz and not get any more inebriated I’ll switch to domestic light beer.

d-usa
09-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Noticed that the 7/11 on Santa Fe and Danforth expanded and is putting in more coolers.

FighttheGoodFight
09-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Gas stations are going to make killing if they get more selection!

dankrutka
09-09-2018, 07:57 PM
My favorite location for craft beers where I live in Texas is a small, old convenience store that specializes in craft beer. The owner is awesome and has created a local landmark through exceptional service. He orders anything I request. Their selection is tremendous for such a small space. For example, they probably carry 10 Oklahoma beers from Prairie, Coop, and Roughtail.

shawnw
09-10-2018, 12:30 AM
https://twitter.com/stevelackmeyer/status/1038917304325754880

Homeland has their alcohol display up at 18/Classen.

Pete
09-10-2018, 05:00 AM
I took these yesterday:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/homeland090918a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/homeland090918b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/homeland090918c.jpg

bchris02
09-10-2018, 04:45 PM
That's a beautiful sight! I cannot wait for October 1st. As somebody who has lived out of state and has been able to enjoy modern liquor laws, I think a lot of people underestimate how big of a deal this is. I think an even bigger deal is the fact you will now be able to get real beer for off-premises consumption past 9PM, cold, and on Sundays. Oklahoma will now finally treat adults like adults when it comes to booze.

Pete
09-10-2018, 05:04 PM
We use this term too often, but this really will be a game-changer.

And there are lots of less predictable outcomes, like how all the various breweries go forward with a big new playing field... And how it will encourage many more.

I hate we can't include liquor in retail stores because we then lose out on BevMo and Wine & More (which are both fantastic) or even the ability for Costco to sell their high-quality and fantastic value vodka, tequila, etc.

But... This is a great step forward. Can't wait!

Bunty
09-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Maybe Wal-Mart will start a petition in a few years to vote on to legalize selling liquor in grocery stores and maybe drug stores, like in Las Vegas. I doubt liquor stores would be happy about it.

Plutonic Panda
09-10-2018, 10:52 PM
^^ that would be nice.

California is also voting on laws to expand liquor sales until 4am. I think it has to do with sales in grocery stores(grocery stores here sell everything spirits, wine, etc.). I am not sure about bars but I think their hours will be expanded too. Would be nice to just allow sales 24hrs like Las Vegas. It should be year round. There also shouldn’t be any proximity restrictions for churches. Schools I can understand. I don’t know what else besides that which could be done to further modernize our liquor laws. Allowing open container zones is nice. I’m not sure if cities are allowed to do that or not.

Hopefully the momentum in Oklahoma for modern liquor laws and MJ laws keeps pushing forward. Oklahoma has made so much progress in the last few years with its laws its so exciting. I can only see it continuing.

I think a good next step would be to expand the hours you can sell and allow spirits to be sold in grocery stores.

bchris02
09-11-2018, 11:07 AM
While not near as big of a deal as the draconian liquor laws the state is finally ditching on October 1st, one thing I would like to see reformed is how last call is handled. I'd love to see some kind of provision for after hours clubs to serve alcohol. Arkansas has a limited number of establishments in the state's largest cities that can stay open and serve alcohol until 5AM. I'd also like to see existing ABC-3 licenses modified so that establishments simply had to stop serving alcohol at 2AM instead of having to have everyone kicked out by that time. 18-20 year-olds should also be able to get into ABC-3 establishments even if they are unable to drink.

HangryHippo
09-11-2018, 12:05 PM
I'd also like to see existing ABC-3 licenses modified so that establishments simply had to stop serving alcohol at 2AM instead of having to have everyone kicked out by that time.
I think this would be a great idea in lieu of the current process of shutting it down and sending everyone out.

18-20 year-olds should also be able to get into ABC-3 establishments even if they are unable to drink.
I don't like this idea at all.

Johnb911
09-11-2018, 01:22 PM

You should just come drink with us on The Carlton Way

barrettd
09-11-2018, 04:14 PM
You should just come drink with us on The Carlton Way

Maybe you should come to Kerry!

bluedogok
09-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Bluedogok,
You do know that the Texas liquor laws vary by county don't you? That could explain what you have found in some Sam's or Costco's.
C. T.
Yes, but the TABC still regulates licensing statewide for retail liquor sales. The county can just determine wet/dry and the cities and counties the method of enforce it which led to the past wet/dry by voting district in the Dallas area.

An individual is limited to 5 licenses, Corporations cannot hold licenses, they do not have the 10 year residency rule like Oklahoma. Those licenses can be pooled together with family (direct or by marriage) to create a marketing entity. Spec's is one of the larger "chains" and it is under the marketing entity category. An individual has to be the license holder, for the Austin area location a husband, wife and other family members each hold the licenses . The parents, brothers and sisters hold the licenses for the other stores across the state. Once you have a family group pooled together as a “consanguinity exception” you are allowed unlimited licensing. Walmart has sued that ruling and it is making its way through the federal courts now. It won a ruling in March but I am sure the state is fighting it.

Here is a quote from the link below.

Additionally, package store permits are restricted to five permits per person, but with a crazy exception. The exception to this rule is known as the “consanguinity exception,” which means that if two family members pool their permits they are no longer subject to the limit. This is the loophole that has allowed stores like Spec’s and Twin Liquors to become major chains with hundreds of locations across Texas.

Empower Texans - Federal Ruling Could Mean the End of the Texas Liquor Store Cartel (https://empowertexans.com/around-texas/federal-ruling-could-mean-the-end-of-the-texas-liquor-store-cartel/)

Bunty
09-12-2018, 01:27 PM
I think this would be a great idea in lieu of the current process of shutting it down and sending everyone out.

And when the bartender turns on the lights and shouts, "last call for alcohol" it seems you're being encouraged to have one more just before the road.

Jersey Boss
09-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Delivery by Post Mates would be a plus. Not a radical idea as it is an option in several states.

Bunty
09-12-2018, 06:15 PM
By now are sales of 3.2% beer all gone?

Pete
09-12-2018, 06:25 PM
By now are sales of 3.2% beer all gone?

It's still around but it seems all that inventory is being cleared out in advance of Oct. 1.

BridgeBurner
09-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Walmart on 23rd and Penn has been out of 3.2% and it does not look like they intend to restock.

Pete
09-13-2018, 09:15 AM
I don't think the breweries are making any more at this point and that the stores are basically closing out all low point.

PaddyShack
09-13-2018, 09:19 AM
NHWM in Yukon down the street from my house has no 3.2 beer left, the fridges are filled with Gatorade at the moment with a sign that reads: "New Products are coming Oct 1".

Bullbear
09-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Most bars in Town are running great specials on 3.2 beer if that's your thing. the bar I frequent is closing it out and getting delivery of the high point beer this weekend.