View Full Version : Oklahoma liquor laws

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

checkthat
02-28-2018, 03:28 PM
No, what I'm envisioning more is that they brew all beer to the same strength at the beer factory and then while the finished beer moves on to the canning/bottling line for everyone else, they have a separate "crappy beer states" production line that uses one of the listed to remove alcohol from the finished beer. So basically, they brew full-strength for everyone, but before bottling for the 3.2 states it goes through a separate alcohol-removal step. That is how it is described in a number of online sources I found.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/4/45/Duff_lite_%26_dry.png

d-usa
02-28-2018, 03:30 PM
I don't know they'd spend the effort to brew up high point beer and then add water. That would take longer fermentation time. You can definitely brew to be under a certain limit. The watered down description makes it sound like they're trucking in vats of already finished beer and just adding water to it.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that many companies don't brew and bottle the beer all at the same location and that they actually do business in much of the same way as the soft drink companies: concentrating the product into basically syrup at the factory, shipping it to bottling companies, and then reconstituting them and force carbonating them before canning and bottling.

So Budweiser basically ships Beer Syrup to the bottling plant next to I-240, where it is reconstituted, bottled or canned, force carbonated, and shipped to stores. Basically, the process of making the beer anywhere is already down to "adding water". For a 12 oz can they would only need to add an extra ~0.1 oz of water to get the ABW down from 5% to 4%.

Easy180
03-28-2018, 07:35 PM
I apologize for not doing my homework but I wanted to ask if I can order beer from outside OK later this year (beer of the month etc)?

gopokes88
03-28-2018, 07:47 PM
I apologize for not doing my homework but I wanted to ask if I can order beer from outside OK later this year (beer of the month etc)?

I’ve gotten some before.

I know with wine, if they have distribution in OK they can’t ship if they don’t they can.

gopokes88
03-28-2018, 07:49 PM
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that many companies don't brew and bottle the beer all at the same location and that they actually do business in much of the same way as the soft drink companies: concentrating the product into basically syrup at the factory, shipping it to bottling companies, and then reconstituting them and force carbonating them before canning and bottling.

So Budweiser basically ships Beer Syrup to the bottling plant next to I-240, where it is reconstituted, bottled or canned, force carbonated, and shipped to stores. Basically, the process of making the beer anywhere is already down to "adding water". For a 12 oz can they would only need to add an extra ~0.1 oz of water to get the ABW down from 5% to 4%.

I worked for a very large miller/coors distributor in Texas and New Mexico and that is not how it works. Maybe bud is different but that doesn’t sound right at all.

Bunty
03-28-2018, 08:12 PM
The counties that have legal liquor by the drink, except on Sundays and/or holidays, better get such laws repealed or there won't be so much as beer served on those days after Oct. 1. At least Major County knew to solve that problem on one ballot when it legalized liquor by the drink in February. The second part of the question read, "Should retail sale of liquor by the drink for on premised drinking be approved, such retail sale will be allowed every day of the year?”

Urbanized
03-29-2018, 09:07 AM
A couple of days ago I received an invite to attend the Alcohol Forum, on August 21st at the Cox Convention Center. Oklahoma City/County Health Department, OKC Zoning, OKC Licensing, the OKC Fire Marshall's Office, ABLE Commission, and OCPD vice enforcement will be present to exchange information with respect to the new liquor laws.

According to the registration page:

Join representatives from Oklahoma City Zoning, Oklahoma City Licensing, Oklahoma City Police, Oklahoma City Fire Marshal’s Office, Oklahoma City Attorney’s Office, the Oklahoma ABLE Commission, and the Oklahoma City/County Health Department and hear about the changes to the State’s liquor laws which will become effective on October 1, 2018.

Subject matter experts will cover a variety of topics, including zoning changes to accommodate new activities, licensing changes and requirements for new applicants, requirements for fire inspections and occupancy ratings, requirements for health and safety initial and annual inspections, civil liability as it relates to bars and taverns, legal updates on the actual statute changes, and information from enforcement investigators on the most common violations, trending violations, and how to prevent violations from a management perspective.

This forum provides an opportunity to get information directly from subject matter experts, and to ensure your business is set up for success in its daily operation.

You can register here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/okcforum2018

If you have any questions you may email them to: 2018forum@okc.gov

sooner88
03-29-2018, 09:28 AM
I’ve gotten some before.

I know with wine, if they have distribution in OK they can’t ship if they don’t they can.

There are services where you can order directly from the vineyards, have the service pick up and pay for the wine and then ship to you in Oklahoma. You can buy the wine for a huge discount even with the shipping and service fees.

warreng88
03-29-2018, 02:49 PM
Proposed OKC ordinance could help liquor stores

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record March 27, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – City Hall is preparing a stopgap taxation ordinance in preparation for new alcoholic beverage sales later this year.

The proposed ordinance, which City Council members unanimously agreed to consider in two weeks, would update what are referred to as occupation taxes for Oklahoma brewers, distillers, rectifiers, bottle clubs and public events in Oklahoma City to reflect the implementation of State Question 792 passed last year.

The ordinance would also let the city assess interim occupation taxes for retail wine and beer sales, wine and spirits wholesalers and beer distributors to mirror interim licenses issued by the state Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission. Those licenses are being issued pursuant to SQ 792.

On Oct. 1, liquor stores will be able to sell refrigerated beer, wine, and other grocery or convenience store products as long as they do not make up more than 20 percent of monthly sales.

The assessment of interim occupation taxes will help businesses come into compliance with city ordinances as they purchase, stock and store alcohol in preparation, city Development Services Director Bob Tener said.

“Business have told us they would like to start stocking product and do improvements to their stores so they’ll be ready to sell,” he said.

Sam’s Warehouse Liquor manager Sonia Eide said her shop isn’t planning any adaptations yet. The business on 2933 NW 63rd St. is going to wait and see how the state law shakes out because certain details aren’t clear, she said.

Grand Cru Wine & Spirits, 9275 N. May, has already taken steps toward the upcoming changeover, manager Chris Waring said. The shop installed a cooler unit as soon as the law passed.

“The problem is, though, that most of the small liquor stores are going to shut down,” he said. “We’ve already lost 20 in the metro over the last month-and-a-half. So what City Council did really isn’t all that positive.”

OKCRT
03-29-2018, 04:37 PM
They're not exactly the same but they're pretty darn close to the same. And the usage of watered down by some folks shows a lack of knowledge of the brewing process. People who claim they can taste a difference are either imagining it or they are tasting a difference in the source water.

BS. People have been calling it watered down for years. And when it comes down to it, it is watered down. Maybe we should say it's been tempered.

bchris02
05-10-2018, 05:32 PM
http://newsok.com/article/5594066?slideout=1

TheTravellers
05-10-2018, 07:28 PM
From the article - “We are going to do the best we can to reduce the inventory of 3.2 beer,” LoPorto said. “We will still have some available, but we will phase it out.”

Yay!

Grand Cru has had coolers for a few months now, stocked, just not turned on. They're one of the bigger stores, so they had space for them, be interesting to see how the little 400-800 sq. ft. stores handle the cold beer thing, I'll have to ask the folks at Modern next time I'm in there.

ctchandler
05-10-2018, 09:10 PM
From the article - “We are going to do the best we can to reduce the inventory of 3.2 beer,” LoPorto said. “We will still have some available, but we will phase it out.”

Yay!

Traveller,
Why do you want to eliminate 3.2 beer? I happen to like it. I enjoy a couple of pints of strong beer at Louie's and a couple of other places, but at home all I drink is 3.2. It's my water, tea, and coffee. I don't understand why we can't have both.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Yay!

Traveller,
Why do you want to eliminate 3.2 beer? I happen to like it. I enjoy a couple of pints of strong beer at Louie's and a couple of other places, but at home all I drink is 3.2. It's my water, tea, and coffee. I don't understand why we can't have both.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-10-2018, 09:18 PM

Yay!

Traveller,
C. T.

BoulderSooner
05-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Traveller,
C. T.

As long and you are drinking bud light/coors light/Miller light. You won’t notice much difference. 3.2 coors light etc is 4 point by volume. Those will now be 4.2 by volume So not much different

BoulderSooner
05-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Traveller,
C. T.

As long and you are drinking bud light/coors light/Miller light. You won’t notice much difference. 3.2 coors light etc is 4 point by volume. Those will now be 4.2 by volume So not much different

bchris02
05-11-2018, 09:31 AM
After Oklahoma eliminates 3.2 beer this fall, that will leave only Utah that still has it. I can't imagine that big beer will keep it around just for one state.

Traveller,
C. T.

While there isn't much of a difference if you are drinking light beer from bud or coors, there's a pretty big difference if you are drinking the 3.2 version of full-flavored brews, They taste watery compared to their full-strength version and while drinking one or two isn't that bad, if I try to get drunk off 3.2 beer I usually end up with just a headache.

ctchandler
05-11-2018, 09:41 AM

BoulderSooner,
Actually, a friend goes to Texas often to see his son and grandkids and he brings back the stronger Bud often and it really isn't what I want since I drink a lot of beer. Really more alcohol than I like.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-11-2018, 09:48 AM
After Oklahoma eliminates 3.2 beer this fall, that will leave only Utah that still has it. I can't imagine that big beer will keep it around just for one state.

Bchris02,
Actually, Kansas and Minnesota still has 3.2 beer. My problem is, I'm not drinking beer to get drunk, beer is my drink of choice. The only liquid I consume other than beer is water, no soft drinks, no coffee or tea, just water and beer and I drink quite a lot of beer.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Bchris02,
Duplicate post. The site seems to have a little problem. I noticed that BoulderSooner had a duplicate post as well.

jerrywall
05-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Has anyone seen if they've addressed situations where 3.2 beer was allowed, but not stronger beer? For examples, street festivals such as Pride, Heard on Hurd, and H&8th. Also, bars that only have a beer permit, not a liquor license? Are they just basically DOA if they can't get a liquor license?

BoulderSooner
05-11-2018, 10:26 AM
BoulderSooner,
Actually, a friend goes to Texas often to see his son and grandkids and he brings back the stronger Bud often and it really isn't what I want since I drink a lot of beer. Really more alcohol than I like.
C. T.

If he is brining back bud light coors light or miller light. He is pretty much wasting his time 4.2 vs 4.0. A 5% difference in alcohol content. That I doubt anyone could detect in a blind taste test.

As was said earlier. With bud heavy coors original It is a 20% alcohol difference 4.0 vs 5.0 (not 6 point despite what you hear)

Bunty
05-11-2018, 11:02 AM
One appeal of 3.2% beer is that it can be priced lower due to lower tax, assuming it won't be upped after Oct. 1.

TheTravellers
05-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Bchris02,
Actually, Kansas and Minnesota still has 3.2 beer. My problem is, I'm not drinking beer to get drunk, beer is my drink of choice. The only liquid I consume other than beer is water, no soft drinks, no coffee or tea, just water and beer and I drink quite a lot of beer.
C. T.

The reason I am glad 3.2 is going away is it just seems to be a bastardized, worse-tasting version of real beer, I never drank it unless I had to. Don't know what to tell you about drinking quite a lot of beer, but I've had to stop drinking as much due to all the carbs, so I drink less of higher alcohol content beer, which works for me, but I drink beer to get a little buzz (not really *drunk* 'cos I'm too old to do that anymore :)), not as one of my main 2 liquids. Coffee, sugar-free soft drinks, iced tea (regular (because I refuse to say "unsweet"), not the sweet tea crap everybody seems to love around here), hint flavored water, and regular water are my main other drinks.

ctchandler
05-11-2018, 08:36 PM
If he is brining back bud light coors light or miller light. He is pretty much wasting his time 4.2 vs 4.0. A 5% difference in alcohol content. That I doubt anyone could detect in a blind taste test.

As was said earlier. With bud heavy coors original It is a 20% alcohol difference 4.0 vs 5.0 (not 6 point despite what you hear)

BoulderSooner,
First, I don't drink anything light, second, I'm well aware of the alcohol in what we always call 6 point beer. And last, I will meet with you and give you odds on a bet that I can tell you whether it's Bud Walmart, or Bud Texas.

ctchandler
05-11-2018, 08:47 PM
The reason I am glad 3.2 is going away is it just seems to be a bastardized, worse-tasting version of real beer, I never drank it unless I had to. Don't know what to tell you about drinking quite a lot of beer, but I've had to stop drinking as much due to all the carbs, so I drink less of higher alcohol content beer, which works for me, but I drink beer to get a little buzz (not really *drunk* 'cos I'm too old to do that anymore :)), not as one of my main 2 liquids. Coffee, sugar-free soft drinks, iced tea (regular (because I refuse to say "unsweet"), not the sweet tea crap everybody seems to love around here), hint flavored water, and regular water are my main other drinks.

Traveller,
Taste is in the tongue of the beholder. I know, a sad alteration of a great quote but I enjoy my 3.2 beer. I also enjoy good, preferably local craft beer. Roughtail Hoptometrist and Coop F-5 are my favorites. Both high alcohol, but when I stop in at Louie's I have two large drafts and I'm done. I'm not concerned about carbs, hell, I'm 74 years old and I'm a widower so I have nobody to impress. By the way, I have asked my son to bring my kegerator to me and I'm going to start buying Coop F-5 at the liquor store just down the street from me. I'm physically disabled (COPD) and picking up beer in the grocery store is becoming more difficult. I can drive my scooter to the liquor store and put a pony keg on it and take it home. So, I guess my whining about losing 3.2 beer was a waste of time. But I have enjoyed the conversations.
C. T.

OKCRT
05-12-2018, 04:20 PM
I stopped drinking the watered down version years ago. I don't drink much but when I do I like full flavor. But there are many folks that have acquired a taste for the watered down version that's been sold in Ok stores for years and it doesn't seem right to abandon those folks.

OKCRT
05-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Traveller,
Taste is in the tongue of the beholder. I know, a sad alteration of a great quote but I enjoy my 3.2 beer. I also enjoy good, preferably local craft beer. Roughtail Hoptometrist and Coop F-5 are my favorites. Both high alcohol, but when I stop in at Louie's I have two large drafts and I'm done. I'm not concerned about carbs, hell, I'm 74 years old and I'm a widower so I have nobody to impress. By the way, I have asked my son to bring my kegerator to me and I'm going to start buying Coop F-5 at the liquor store just down the street from me. I'm physically disabled (COPD) and picking up beer in the grocery store is becoming more difficult. I can drive my scooter to the liquor store and put a pony keg on it and take it home. So, I guess my whining about losing 3.2 beer was a waste of time. But I have enjoyed the conversations.
C. T.

Beer scooters! Gotta love it.

bchris02
05-14-2018, 12:20 PM
I stopped drinking the watered down version years ago. I don't drink much but when I do I like full flavor. But there are many folks that have acquired a taste for the watered down version that's been sold in Ok stores for years and it doesn't seem right to abandon those folks.

With only one state remaining with 3.2 beer after the new Oklahoma law goes into effect, I doubt that big beer will continue to even manufacture it. Yes, I know that Kansas and Minnesota are technically 3.2 states but only a very small amount of the beer they consume is 3.2. Most 3.2 beer is consumed in Oklahoma and Utah.

barrettd
05-15-2018, 07:06 AM
BoulderSooner,
First, I don't drink anything light, second, I'm well aware of the alcohol in what we always call 6 point beer. And last, I will meet with you and give you odds on a bet that I can tell you whether it's Bud Walmart, or Bud Texas.

I tend to agree with you on the taste of the 2 beers. I've done blind tests with Miller Lite from here and from TX and the TX stuff has a fuller taste. That being said, I have no problem filling my beer fridge with 3.2 Miller Lite. I'll still be happier when I can get cold strong beer at the liquor and grocery stores.

ctchandler
05-15-2018, 08:18 PM
I tend to agree with you on the taste of the 2 beers. I've done blind tests with Miller Lite from here and from TX and the TX stuff has a fuller taste. That being said, I have no problem filling my beer fridge with 3.2 Miller Lite. I'll still be happier when I can get cold strong beer at the liquor and grocery stores.

Barrettd,
I can't disagree at all, I want the choice, but personally, I would prefer the 3.2 for my home beer. As for the rest of Oklahoma I'm glad that the law was passed and I'm ready for October. Cold beer at liquor stores and strong beer and wine in grocery stores? It's about time.
C. T.

bchris02
05-15-2018, 08:49 PM
I wonder if COOP will continue to sell their 3.2 brews like Briefcase Brown and Negative Split?

@ctchandler, if you drink light beer such as Miller Lite or Bud Light, the full-strength versions are like 4.1 or 4.2%, which is barely stronger than 3.2 (4.0 ABV).

barrettd
05-16-2018, 06:48 AM
Barrettd,
I can't disagree at all, I want the choice, but personally, I would prefer the 3.2 for my home beer. As for the rest of Oklahoma I'm glad that the law was passed and I'm ready for October. Cold beer at liquor stores and strong beer and wine in grocery stores? It's about time.
C. T.

Hopefully, you'll find you enjoy the regular 4.0 beer after a while. I don't find I get drunker any quicker from the TX Miller Lite, it just tastes a little different (better, in my opinion).

barrettd
05-16-2018, 06:50 AM
I wonder if COOP will continue to sell their 3.2 brews like Briefcase Brown and Negative Split?.

I've wondered that, too. I just sent them an email asking about it, and will update if I hear back.

d-usa
05-16-2018, 11:32 AM
I really like the Negative Split. And it’s a nice low-alcohol beer during an active beer, similar to how I would drink a Radler in Germany.

I think there is still a market for 3.2 (or lower) beers brewed specifically as a beer that just happens to have that alcohol level, rather than beers that were “designed” for a higher level and then changed to allow 3.2 sales.

Bill Robertson
05-16-2018, 01:01 PM
If there’s a enough of a market for 3.2 beer, which will then be called 4.0 beer I would think the brewers will make it.

bille
05-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Just wanted to point a couple things out, OK isn't doing away with low point beer, just the requirement of who can (and can't) sell "strong beer" or just "beer" come 1 October. Low point will still exist albeit mostly in craft styles that existed before these pre-prohibition laws did.

Whoever stated that the macro breweries brew one beer for all markets and dilutes them down to the needed ABV at packaging is correct. This is a well known practice that isn't just for producing different strengths of alcohol, it allows them to yield more product and it be more consistent.

Currently there are 5 states with some kind of low point law the macro breweries are producing for, Colorado is one of them. Like stated though, since over 50% of the low point market is here chances are it'll go away for everybody else once it leaves OK.

At this point my biggest concern is like Jerry mentioned and all the situations with only low point being allowed at parks, public locations, etc. If that's not addressed we're going to have a problem. Can you imagine going to the lake or river and not being able to drink legally?

Urbanized
05-16-2018, 05:38 PM
...Whoever stated that the macro breweries brew one beer for all markets and dilutes them down to the needed ABV at packaging is correct. This is a well known practice that isn't just for producing different strengths of alcohol, it allows them to yield more product and it be more consistent...

That was me. Thanks for confirming. I know a few people in the craft industry, but most of the info I had on that was gathered online.

...At this point my biggest concern is like Jerry mentioned and all the situations with only low point being allowed at parks, public locations, etc. If that's not addressed we're going to have a problem. Can you imagine going to the lake or river and not being able to drink legally?

Or going to events like Live on the Plaza, H&8th, etc., and having to stay inside a fenced in area to consume instead of walk around the event area? Or not be able go to events where beer is given away because brewery sponsors donated? Currently these things can be done with 3.2 product but not strong beer. I know for a fact that COOP's foray into 3.2 product - while proving beneficial in letting them get beers into supermarkets and c-stores - was driven early on by wanting to be able to give away beers to non-profits for events and to be able to sell on the street at festivals without having to fence people into a tiny corral to consume.

These are the unintended consequences of this law change which I don't think have been fully addressed yet. Don't get me wrong; I fully support the change, I am just concerned that some of the ripple effects haven't yet been considered/fixed.

d-usa
05-16-2018, 06:11 PM
If it is an issue, I can see our local breweries in a pretty good position to continue to do what they are doing.

Urbanized
05-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Meaning what? Continuing to produce 3.2 beer for giveaways and events? They will still be able to produce 3.2 beer I suppose, but I don't believe they will be able to give it away or allow people to walk around on the street with it. The distinction between 3.2 and strong beer is going away. Which I assume means 3.2 will now also be regulated by ABLE. And a TON of donated beer and event beer is not local. Those breweries will DEFINITELY stop producing 3.2, even if it was OK to give away or walk around carrying.

bchris02
05-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Whoever stated that the macro breweries brew one beer for all markets and dilutes them down to the needed ABV at packaging is correct. This is a well known practice that isn't just for producing different strengths of alcohol, it allows them to yield more product and it be more consistent.

This is correct, which is why beer produced by AB and the likes tastes so watery in Oklahoma. I know it's not "cool" in 2018 to like AB products but some of them really aren't that bad in their full strength. Having lived elsewhere from drinking age until 26 when I moved back to Oklahoma, I mostly drank full-strength Bud products and some imports. After moving back here though I could never adjust to the watery taste of 3.2 Bud and therefore really started exploring craft beers. I probably never would have been a craft beer drinker, at least to the extent I am now, if it wasn't for Oklahoma's stupid 3.2 beer law.

Currently there are 5 states with some kind of low point law the macro breweries are producing for, Colorado is one of them. Like stated though, since over 50% of the low point market is here chances are it'll go away for everybody else once it leaves OK.

A big part of that is that OK is the only state of the 5 that big beer doesn't even sell their full-strength products. KS, CO, and MN all drink minuscule amounts of 3.2 beer. Once it goes away in OK that will leave only Utah as a significant consumer of it. I was doing some reading about Utah's liquor laws not long ago and as draconian as the laws are here, Utah has it far worse.

bluedogok
05-18-2018, 03:56 PM
3.2 beer is going away in Colorado as well.

Bunty
05-19-2018, 06:59 PM
A big part of that is that OK is the only state of the 5 that big beer doesn't even sell their full-strength products. KS, CO, and MN all drink minuscule amounts of 3.2 beer. Once it goes away in OK that will leave only Utah as a significant consumer of it. I was doing some reading about Utah's liquor laws not long ago and as draconian as the laws are here, Utah has it far worse.

Odd how Utah was the last state needed to repeal prohibition in 1933.

jerrywall
05-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Odd how Utah was the last state needed to repeal prohibition in 1933.

I'm curious if like Oklahoma they had some federal restriction. Ours was part of the requirement to become a state.

Bunty
05-20-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm curious if like Oklahoma they had some federal restriction. Ours was part of the requirement to become a state.

I don't know about Utah, but Oklahoma was required to be dry for 21 years after statehood. So Oklahoma was in an okay position to help ratify the amendment to repeal prohibition.

mugofbeer
05-20-2018, 11:20 PM

Utah did have major restrictions placed on it as well as huge cuts to it's original land size because the Feds didn't like the Mormons and didn't want them mlto benefit from precious metals discoveries. Just as possible that it was Mormon beliefs against alcahol consumption that delayed the vote.

ctchandler
06-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Today I stopped by a liquor store and was asking him a few things about the changes coming up this fall. I also asked about 3.2 beer knowing it wouldn't be available in his store and he said the new law eliminates 3.2 altogether. I haven't read the law and it's probably too complicated for my feeble brain anyway but does anybody else understand it that way? I know some of you think it will go away because of low demand but is it actually by law?
C. T.

stile99
06-06-2018, 12:13 PM
The sweet, simple fact is 3.2 is not outlawed. But I believe the issue of public access to restrooms was discussed elsewhere on this forum in the past, and just as with that issue, "It's against that law" is generally more well-received than "we don't want to", so that's the excuse some will be offering.

benjico
06-06-2018, 12:31 PM
What is the law on minors in taprooms? I had assumed it was only forbidden inside but when I recently visited Stonecloud with my toddler (on the patio) a bartender came outside and said kids couldn't be anywhere on the property - even outside.

Any changes to this in the October laws? I've been to many out of state breweries who are very open to families (some even brew root beer for kids).

bchris02
06-06-2018, 01:02 PM
3.2 beer is a distant memory in a vast majority of the country. I think in a few years there won't be very many people missing it. There's also a question of how much longer big beer is going to produce it now that we are down to only one state that still requires 3.2. So while the lower ABV beer won't be against the law, it's not something there will likely be a high demand for.

Johnb911
06-06-2018, 01:43 PM
What is the law on minors in taprooms? I had assumed it was only forbidden inside but when I recently visited Stonecloud with my toddler (on the patio) a bartender came outside and said kids couldn't be anywhere on the property - even outside.

Any changes to this in the October laws? I've been to many out of state breweries who are very open to families (some even brew root beer for kids).

Not sure how this applies to tap rooms, but last time I asked the manager at my usual liquor store about being able to bring in under 21s once the law went into affect (effect? can never remember which) he said they were trying to get that done. I think things like the age restriction and being open on holidays are things they're trying to push through in addition to the actual wording of the rules being changed. This was several months ago, and again, just for liquor stores, but it might be the same for taprooms

jerrywall
06-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Not sure how this applies to tap rooms, but last time I asked the manager at my usual liquor store about being able to bring in under 21s once the law went into affect (effect? can never remember which) he said they were trying to get that done. I think things like the age restriction and being open on holidays are things they're trying to push through in addition to the actual wording of the rules being changed. This was several months ago, and again, just for liquor stores, but it might be the same for taprooms

Unless they change the rules, I would assume that taprooms are considered and will continue to be considered bars under their license, especially since the majority of them don't serve food at all, much less enough to hit the criteria.

jedicurt
06-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Unless they change the rules, I would assume that taprooms are considered and will continue to be considered bars under their license, especially since the majority of them don't serve food at all, much less enough to hit the criteria.

I will double check, but last I had heard from the CBAO was that taprooms would be allowed to have minors in the tap rooms after rule changes

Uptowner
06-13-2018, 08:54 AM
The general “blanket” has always been: “if it’s not a restaurant where children have business to eat food, but while alcohol is also served.” Then children are not allowed. Even in restaurants kids aren't allowed in the bar area.

Why would you want to take a child into a tap room anyway? There’s literally nothing for them. I can sort of understand a liquor store, since it’s off-premise consumption. But cars have hear&air these days.

jedicurt
06-13-2018, 09:04 AM
The general “blanket” has always been: “if it’s not a restaurant where children have business to eat food, but while alcohol is also served.” Then children are not allowed. Even in restaurants kids aren't allowed in the bar area.

Why would you want to take a child into a tap room anyway? There’s literally nothing for them. I can sort of understand a liquor store, since it’s off-premise consumption. But cars have hear&air these days.

that general "blanket" is no longer the case in most states. taprooms in texas and Colorado both allow for minors, and work to create friendly atmospheres. taprooms are not bars, and a majority don't try to be. plus, like a liquor store there is a lot of on-site purchase for off-site consumption.

d-usa
06-13-2018, 10:47 AM
We’ve been to Taprooms for soccer watch parties, with a food truck in the parking lot and games and activities for people there, it’s a different atmosphere than bars.

bchris02
06-13-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed but this thread is now 65 pages long. I have a few questions about the new laws.

1) How late will liquor stores be able to stay open?
2) How late will convenience stores/grocery stores be able to sell alcohol?
3) Will grocery/convenience stores be able to sell alcohol on Sunday?

Swake
06-13-2018, 04:52 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed but this thread is now 65 pages long. I have a few questions about the new laws.

1) How late will liquor stores be able to stay open?
2) How late will convenience stores/grocery stores be able to sell alcohol?
3) Will grocery/convenience stores be able to sell alcohol on Sunday?

1) Midnight
2) Midnight
3) They can now, county option. Liquor stores will also be able to be open on Sunday, county option.

loveOKC
06-13-2018, 09:06 PM
1) Midnight
2) Midnight
3) They can now, county option. Liquor stores will also be able to be open on Sunday, county option.

How late will night clubs be able to sell liquor? How long will night clubs/bars be able to stay open?