View Full Version : Motorcycle Mobility and Safety Act

MustangGT
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Please pay attention to this new situation at intersections. I left out all the preceding legal language that is not relevant. The lawmakers that sponsored this legislation stated that the motorcycle rider will bear TOTAL liability for any/all collisions or incidents that occurs while taking advantage of this statute.

d. notwithstanding any other provision of law, the driver of a motorcycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection only if:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop as required by subparagraph a of this paragraph,

(2) the traffic control signal is programmed or engineered to change to a green signal only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle and has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle because of its size or weight, and

(3) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the roadway to be crossed or entered, or the motor vehicle or person is at a distance from the intersection that does not constitute an immediate hazard.

The driver of any vehicle approaching the intersection, which lawfully may enter the intersection, shall have the right-of-way over any motorcycle operator proceeding through a red light and, in no event where an accident results from the driver of the motorcycle proceeding into the intersection on a red light, shall such driver of the vehicle be charged with any violation pursuant to Sections 11-401 and 11-403 of this title relating to failure to yield right-of-way, Section 11-310 of this title relating to following too closely, or Section 11-801 of this title relating to driving too fast for conditions.

kevinpate
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
If a cyclist proceeds against a programmed light when he shouldn't proceed against the light because it's not safe, the driver with the green light is not at fault.
This seems to mainly negate anyone suggesting am injured cyclist should of had the right of way, but the danged light did not change for him/her.

Not complicated to me. If your light is red, whether you're a cyclist or a loaded down over-sized semi trucker, just sit still until you can safely proceed, just like you would do at a stop sign.

bluedogok
11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
The problem is the older sensor systems and even some newer ones set too deep in the pavement may not detect a motorcycle sitting and waiting at a light at an intersection with light traffic. It mostly happens in turn lanes since many of those a demand switched instead of a timed or duty switched. I have had to sit through an annoying number of light cycles before finally just going.

This is not an uncommon law, many jurisdictions have enacted this in recent years.

Roadhawg
11-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I've sat at lights through several cycles before too and finally went when the coast was clear. Changing the law allowing this is a lot cheaper than changing all the sensors.

MustangGT
11-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Many but not all have sensitivity adjustments. Interestingly an officer told me that if they do this and make a right turn against the red were it is posted no turn on red they will cite the rider for turning right on red when is is posted not to. So that will require the rider to proceed straight ahead and going around the block. No cutting thru services drives thats a no-no also.

bluedogok
11-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Many but not all have sensitivity adjustments.
Just because they have adjustment capability doesn't mean they are adjusted to where they actually work. I know this is very true in the case of Austin, we still have a bunch of timed lights here as well.

MustangGT
11-16-2010, 08:09 AM
True on the adjustment but that is an easy problem to rectify. If a motorcycle is stuck behind a timer light then they will have to wait just like a car does, nothing changes. If the rider attempts to avail themselves of this at a timer light they will get ticketed and justifiably so.

bluedogok
11-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Getting them to adjust it properly is the issue, getting the city to do almost anything properly is an issue. I do think for the most part it is not as bad as it used to be.

It is pretty easy to tell what is a timed light and a demand light down here if you are observant. I know for the most part OKC went to demand lights a long time ago.

MustangGT
11-16-2010, 09:38 AM
getting the city to do almost anything properly is an issue.

Sadly this is true everywhere. I cannot think of any purely timed lights in OKC anymore. Now the cycling/time set of the demand/sensor lights can be a pain in the butt though.