View Full Version : The LFL is coming to OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Steve
11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
No word on whether the mayor is seeking $7 million to get the league started in OKC.
http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=29720

mugofbeer
11-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Great! Something new to be proud of!

okclee
11-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Now this would definitely make us a "BIG League City"!!

Also I would like to offer up my house for the venue.

Kerry
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I caught a few minutes of one of these games on MTV the other night. It wasn't bad. While uniforms are not very big, they are on pretty good. The ball could probably be smaller because it look a little big for the QBs hand.

HOT ROD
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
two thumbs up.

Dustin
11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Ohhh yessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

circuitboard
11-10-2010, 09:51 PM
as a gay man, the uniforms are cute, and I welcome this to the city.

betts
11-10-2010, 11:52 PM
How about the UFL? That's what I'd like to see here.

kevinpate
11-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Just gotta love this comment "I am thinking this could cause us to consider another State Question for 2012."

theparkman81
11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I think its going to be great to have it here, but I wonder where they will play at, I told my stepbrother about it and he is excited.

Matt
11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Lucasfilm Ltd.?

jmarkross
11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Who will be their cheerleaders???

Easy180
11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Finally somewhere else to take the wife for a romantic night out instead of the melting pot

Kerry
11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I don't know, but here is the dance team.

http://flipittypes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/fat_people.jpg

OKCisOK4me
11-11-2010, 12:30 PM
This is freakin awesome!

bretthexum
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
And right when I move away. Damnit

jmarkross
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Finally somewhere else to take the wife for a romantic night out instead of the melting pot

In full support of Women's Sports as well--a civic duty in my opinion...Title IX stuff...

okclee
11-11-2010, 12:39 PM
How you like it now Tulsa? checkmate!

T-town gets the WNBA and we come back with the LFL, yeah baby!!

Matt
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
[insert obligatory lesbian joke here]

Dustin
11-11-2010, 02:21 PM

They dont need any!!!

bretthexum
11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
LOL - That lasted a whole 24 hrs

http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=29801

Easy180
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Another victim to family values

Dustin
11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
"It is unfortunate that one individual can dictate what an entire city can deem as entertainment or not. Apparently Mayor Cornett wants to take away the basic freedom of individuals to chose to attend a sporting event or not. Has Mayor Cornett actually been to an LFL game or watched a game on MTV2? My guess is no. He does not understand that LFL football is played by educated former college athletes that come from all walks of life which include doctors, lawyers, teachers, military personnel etc. Nor does Mayor Cornett understand the revenue and jobs LFL football coming into town would represent, but perhaps Oklahoma City does not need more jobs or revenue.

Oklahomans should be provided the opportunity to chose for themselves and not dictated to. I thought our plans were for expansion into Oklahoma City, not North Korea."

OUCH!

Kerry
11-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I think Cornett missed the boat on this one. Women in the LFL are wearing more clothes than most girls do at swim meets or beach volleyball. I think he got caught up by the name. Of course, every possible venue belongs to the City. I guess OKC won't be hosting any Big XII track meets either.

http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/1985699/021509-AGINDOORTRACK_w300.jpg

http://www.musclesportmag.com/wp-content/uploads/lfl.jpg

Thunder dance squad - how did that get in there?

http://blog.newsok.com/ofinterest/files/2009/07/thunder-girls-2.jpg

http://www.nba.com/thunder/photos/celtics_entertainment_hp_101107.jpg

theparkman81
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Well that sucks, well heres what i think, i think that mayor cornett should resign, I'm sorry, I actually like this guy, but after this, I just don't care for him anymore, this is got to be a big blow for OKC.

Matt
11-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Kill him. Now.

Kerry
11-11-2010, 09:01 PM
This was a tactical mistake on Cornett's part. The LFL would have lasted about 2 years in OKC. It is pure novelty and you aren't going to get to see what you think you are going to see. It would have and passed quietly in the night.

Kerry
11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Kill him. Now.

The FBI will be at your door shortly.

soonerguru
11-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm so sick of the faux family values crapola being dished out by the GOPasaurs in this state. Gag.

Very lame move by Mick.

ljbab728
11-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm so sick of the faux family values crapola being dished out by the GOPasaurs in this state. Gag.

Very lame move by Mick.

I don't know if family values had anything to do with the decision but it's a ridiculous idea anyway. There have been many gimic type of sports leagues tried and none have ever worked. There is no point in getting envolved with something like this that will be gone in a year. Remember the XFL?

jn1780
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
The Thunder girls wear less than LFL players. LOL

And yes, of course its a gimic. Each team only plays four regular season games with two of those being at home. Your basically just paying to say you went to a "Lingerie Football Game".

blangtang
11-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Its a bummer that the Devon Energy Lingerie League has the venue booked for the forseeable future. Maybe we could squeeze u in on a Tuesday night. We'll get back to you ...

jmarkross
11-12-2010, 03:07 AM
The crowd...might have had a few[I] Daughters of Bilitis in attendance with season tickets...

kevinpate
11-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Maybe they could put the players in ankle length dresses for the home games and call it the FLFL?

Kerry
11-12-2010, 05:33 AM
I don't know if family values had anything to do with the decision but it's a ridiculous idea anyway. There have been many gimic type of sports leagues tried and none have ever worked. There is no point in getting envolved with something like this that will be gone in a year. Remember the XFL?

With the cheap seats being $20 per game up to $85 for front row, Mick should have just let this idea die on the vine all by itself. Besides, they were still looking for a local ownership group. It was never going to happen anyhow, with or without Mick's comment.

bombermwc
11-12-2010, 06:27 AM
If it's only 2 games a year, yeah that was a bad mistake. So what if it failed or flopped. It would have been a show like any other event at an arena. Now if they wanted the city to fork over cash for anything, then no.

I'm betting that like any other league, they would have wanted the city to provide certain things at the arena. And who's locker room are they going to share? Not the Barons and not the Thunder. What...go to the Fair Grounds? I don't think it would have made it anyway, but hey could have been a fun ride.

And before anyone gets up on their high horse about oggling women in little outfits....women go to sporting events to look at guys too so get over that one.

Laramie
11-12-2010, 06:31 AM
This was a tactical mistake on Cornett's part. The LFL would have lasted about 2 years in OKC. It is pure novelty and you aren't going to get to see what you think you are going to see. It would have and passed quietly in the night.

Glad that Mayor Mick at least let you know where he stood on this one. The novelty certainly would have worn off in our city on an LFL franchise.

Next?

metro
11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
With the cheap seats being $20 per game up to $85 for front row, Mick should have just let this idea die on the vine all by itself. Besides, they were still looking for a local ownership group. It was never going to happen anyhow, with or without Mick's comment.

Boneheaded move on Cornet's part. He should have let the free market decide, or at least let it be up for a vote of the council. Sure it would have failed eventually, but let the free market dictate when. They just let the Satanists rent the Civic Center, how is this any worse than that? If this was going to die before it got off the ground, he should have said nothing and let them try and find their ownership group, etc without saying a word.

I don't see Mick getting re-elected for another term, maybe he doesn't plan on it, but if he does, he'd be smart to not run and avoid the backlash. As a Cornett fan in the beginning and most of the time still, he is becoming less and less convincing of a leader IMO.

zrfdude
11-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Boneheaded move on Cornet's part. He should have let the free market decide, or at least let it be up for a vote of the council. Sure it would have failed eventually, but let the free market dictate when. They just let the Satanists rent the Civic Center, how is this any worse than that? If this was going to die before it got off the ground, he should have said nothing and let them try and find their ownership group, etc without saying a word.

I don't see Mick getting re-elected for another term, maybe he doesn't plan on it, but if he does, he'd be smart to not run and avoid the backlash. As a Cornett fan in the beginning and most of the time still, he is becoming less and less convincing of a leader IMO.

Why are you comparing the two? One is a religious ceremony, one is the objectification of women.

Midtowner
11-12-2010, 09:30 AM
We have midgit wrestling, but we can't have lingerie football.

Gotta draw that line somewhere I guess.

sgt. pepper
11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Boneheaded move on Cornet's part.
WHAT??

I don't see Mick getting re-elected for another term,
because of this??? you got to be kidding!! Is this the last straw?...LOL

you guys need to start thinking with the head on your shoulders and stop thinking with the one between your legs!!

Stop this already, if you want to watch half naked women play football, drive to Dallas. And if you think this is about "the mayor not letting this crap in OKC" and NOT about you people getting another personal sexual thrill?...you are not fooling anybody.

Go find a dark closet somewhere.

BG918
11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
LFL Chairman: "I thought our plans were for expansion into Oklahoma City, not North Korea".

MustangGT
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM

My and many others thoughts exactly. Find and bring to OKC attractions with staying power not just flash-in-the-pan appeal.

bretthexum
11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
My and many others thoughts exactly. Find and bring to OKC attractions with staying power not just flash-in-the-pan appeal.

So if a league like the LFL wants to come to OKC with ZERO cost to the city - what's the difference? The mayor shouldn't be the morality police. If you don't like it, don't go.

Kerry
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM
So if a league like the LFL wants to come to OKC with ZERO cost to the city - what's the difference?

That is a pretty big assumption since they didn't even have an ownership team in OKC to begin with. However, if they had been called the Oklahoma City Tempters and worshiped Satan they would have been welcomed. Go figure.

soonerguru
11-12-2010, 10:16 AM

There are a lot of things that have flash-in-the-pan appeal that make money. Half of the artists playing the Ford Center are flashes in the pan. Who can be certain what will take off long term and what won't?

I for one am not into Monster Trucks or Hooter's Restaurants but I don't begrudge other people the right to enjoy that kind of entertainment. What about the Ultimate Fighting bouts? Again, to each his or her own.

Personally, I find it odious that our mayor would be dictating what our citizens can and cannot spend their money on for entertainment.

MustangGT
11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
So if a league like the LFL wants to come to OKC with ZERO cost to the city - what's the difference? The mayor shouldn't be the morality police. If you don't like it, don't go.

Personally I would have gone at least once for the novelty. Denying this on personal morality grounds I disagree with. If this one singluar/narrow issue changes anybodies mind about a future vote then good for you.

okclee
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Sally Kern applauds you Mayor Mick!

Lunch at Hooters anyone?

BDP
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought our plans were for expansion into Oklahoma City, not North Korea.

That's hilarious!

Personally I don't care about the LFL, but I do care about the Mayor deciding what is appropriate for the community and what is not. That is WAY too much power for one guy. If people here think it's not appropriate then they wouldn't go and the LFL wouldn't want to be here. No big loss. On the flip side, we did lose a little rent money because Cornett is offended when girls show some skin to actually play a sport. I guess it's only okay when they're doing it to cheer on men playing a sport...

Now I guess every attraction that wants to come to OKC has to clear it with Cornett's sense of morals? That's not good. Not good at all.

Spartan
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
This is pretty pathetic. I say we cause a huge stink over this.

metro
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
WHAT??

because of this??? you got to be kidding!! Is this the last straw?...LOL

you guys need to start thinking with the head on your shoulders and stop thinking with the one between your legs!!

Stop this already, if you want to watch half naked women play football, drive to Dallas. And if you think this is about "the mayor not letting this crap in OKC" and NOT about you people getting another personal sexual thrill?...you are not fooling anybody.

Go find a dark closet somewhere.

You clearly didn't read my post. I didn't say because of this. Because Cornett has been making boneheaded decision after boneheaded decision the last year or so. Sure is a "weak" mayor form, but the general population doesn't know that or care, they still see him as the leader and manager of this City, even though the few of us OKCTalkers know he is a weak mayor system and the City Manager holds the real power. Couple that with an already ignorant general public. Key word: PERCEPTION

metro
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
That's hilarious!

Personally I don't care about the LFL, but I do care about the Mayor deciding what is appropriate for the community and what is not. That is WAY too much power for one guy. If people here think it's not appropriate then they wouldn't go and the LFL wouldn't want to be here. No big loss. On the flip side, we did lose a little rent money because Cornett is offended when girls show some skin to actually play a sport. I guess it's only okay when they're doing it to cheer on men playing a sport, though...

Now I guess every attraction that wants to come to OKC has to clear it with Cornett's sense of morals? That's not good. Not good at all.

As always BDP, well said.

bretthexum
11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
This is pretty pathetic. I say we cause a huge stink over this.

Already a facebook group setup with 2 fans :) lol

Let the Lingerie Football League (LFL) Come to OKC

Kerry
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I can understand the outrage over moral outrage, but clearly, many of you have no clue about how bad this league is financially. The team in New York already folded. If this league can't make money and survive in New York, it won't survive anywhere. They have not been paying for injuries to the players and while they list place Seattle as thier home, they really play in small arenas and sometime on college campuses. Maybe they could play at the OU Field House, but taxpayers will have to pay for the playing surface. This league doesn't have any money.

LordGerald
11-12-2010, 10:55 AM
You clearly didn't read my post. I didn't say because of this. Because Cornett has been making boneheaded decision after boneheaded decision the last year or so. Sure is a "weak" mayor form, but the general population doesn't know that or care, they still see him as the leader and manager of this City, even though the few of us OKCTalkers know he is a weak mayor system and the City Manager holds the real power. Couple that with an already ignorant general public. Key word: PERCEPTION

M: Curious what the boneheaded decisions are. Can you list them?

Hondo1
11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
This is up on the Drudge Report. It has gone global.

Matt
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for lookin' out for us, Mayor Mick!

soonerguru
11-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I was about to post: Mayor Cornett just screwed this city with terrible PR. Now we will be viewed as uptight puritanical scolds. Thanks a lot, Mayor.

okclee
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Just say NO!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1245719/medium.jpg

adaniel
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I was about to post: Mayor Cornett just screwed this city with terrible PR. Now we will be viewed as uptight puritanical scolds. Thanks a lot, Mayor.

Well OKC has gotten a lot of good press so we were bound to screw something up eventually. But look at the brightside. Maybe scores of uptight prudes will look to OKC as a beacon of light and will flock here en masse.

Scantitly clad thunder girls? Yes. Christie's Toy Box? Yeah why not. Female football players in their panties? NO WAY! we draw the line here in the 405!