View Full Version : Oklahoma City expands its network of bicycling lanes

urbanity
11-10-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.okgazette.com/article/11-10-2010/Oklahoma_City_expands_its_network_of_bicycling_lan es_including_ones_to_be_shared_by_cars.aspx

BG918
11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Which streets are actually getting the separated bike lanes? The article implies most streets are getting "sharrows" which is just a bicycle symbol painted on the road with signage.

CuatrodeMayo
11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I too get the impression that most of the money will be spent on paint and signs. It's a start, but I doubt it will have much of an impact.

I'm still waiting on a way to cross over I-44 north of 39th without taking my life into my hands.

CuatrodeMayo
11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_lane_marking

OKCisOK4me
11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Hefner, east of Hefner Parkway has the biking logo on the street but no white line indicating a biking lane...

Architect2010
11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't think sharrows have the dedicated marked lane, or do they?

okclee
11-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Either have bike lanes or don't!

The bike logo painted on a busy street does nothing, save the time, effort, and most of all tax payer money.

MustangGT
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM

None that I have seen.

Platemaker
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM

The bike logo painted on a busy street does nothing, save the time, effort, and most of all tax payer money.

As a person that bikes to school and work regularly, I completely disagree.

It alerts the drivers that there may be cyclists present... in the same way children playing or deer crossing signs enhance safety.

Concerned about saving money? Commute by bike. It's saved me a ton.

BG918
11-10-2010, 12:36 PM

No, just a bike symbol and signs. The article indicates some streets will have dedicated bike lanes but doesn't say which ones.

okclee
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
As a person that bikes to school and work regularly, I completely disagree.

It alerts the drivers that there may be cyclists present... in the same way children playing or deer crossing signs enhance safety.

Concerned about saving money? Commute by bike. It's saved me a ton.

I am not a bicycle commuter but, I too ride my bike and most of the times it is in the downtown area. Having a painted bike emblem on the road does nothing for me as a cyclist.

I would think you would want a dedicated bicycle lane as opposed to an emblem sign?

Deer crossing signs that is good one, don't forget the duck crossing signs too. lol

Midtowner
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM

I disagree. Drivers are reminded that cyclists have a right to the *entire* right of way. Some of these signs actually instruct cyclists to take the whole lane (e.g., on the Hefner bridge crossing Hefner Expressway).

Architect2010
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I am not a bicycle commuter but, I too ride my bike and most of the times it is in the downtown area. Having a painted bike emblem on the road does nothing for me as a cyclist.

Maybe because they're meant mainly for the automobile driver and to alert them of the presence and equality of bicycles on the road. People will see and recognize that. I'm not a bicyclist, but I'm highly confident that people would be less aggressive towards the bicycle and its rider if there's a sign or marking that tells them to do so. It wouldn't hurt, and I think it's a good idea for the city to start implementing these sharrow markers. It shows the city has the iniative and cares about different types of commuters and not just the status-quo automobile. The bike lanes are also a step-forward in promoting a healthy lifestyle across the city. They're better than none at all; drivers here would otherwise run you off the road.

OKCTalker
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a cyclist and although I don't ride on the designated routes, I will indirectly benefit by a heightened motorist awareness that we're sharing the roads. Here's a one minute, nine second YouTube video that illustrates how invisible cyclists are to motorists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4 It's been viewed 11 million times, and you'll probably watch it twice because you won't believe your eyes the first time.

OKC@heart
11-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Nice clip! Really illustrates the point. Sharows are a step in the right direction, but I would at least like to see distinct lanes that can be occupied by vehicles but are painted and designated as the cyclist having the right of way from which the moterist must give priority. These have been being introduced in new york and in several other locations with existing streets. I will try and post a link to some examples from a CE course that I took recently that dealt specifically with this issue.

HOT ROD
11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
bike lanes work in other cities that are WAY MORE CONGESTED than OKC. Try Vancouver BC for example.