View Full Version : Condoms

Rev. Bob
03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Since we're on the debate about birth control here, how do you feel about schools handing free condoms out to your children?

Personally, I feel that should be a decision I should make as a parent. I don't think schools should be in the parenting business.

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 07:51 AM
I think that schools absolutely should. Rev. Bob, it's attitudes like yours and many "abstinence only" individuals that have Oklahoma as one of the highest teen pregnancy states in the country. Kids need to be educated about safe sex, and if they have safe, protected sex, that sure as heck beats getting pregnant at 14.

mranderson
03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Personally, I am not thrilled with using them because I find them degrading, and they take the purpose of sex away.

With my kids, I would rather teach them when the time is right or wrong to have sex, and do it in a loving manner. If the education is forced or it is demanded they not do something, they will do the opposite our of what you ask.

Education is MUCH better than a condom.

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Education will not stop a kid from getting pregnant.

Education will not stop your kid from getting HIV.

Parents are not educating their children. This is a societal problem. Education can occur at the home, but in this case, kids need to have all of the resources available, so that if they do make the decision to have sex (and most do), they will have protection measures available.

Obviously, whatever we're doing in Oklahoma isn't working.

There has been study after study that shows that abstinence only programs have little to no effect on preventing kids from choosing to have intercourse.

There is evidence that shows that in schools where condoms are made available to students, there has not been some corresponding increase in sexual activity.

Of course, the overwhelming evidence shows that kids who have good relationships with their parents and have strong moral/religious convictions are the least likely to get pregnant. It of course boils down to parenting, and we know that many parents either do a horrible job, or simply have bad kids.

What helps prevent teen pregnancy?

* The primary reason that teenage girls who have never had intercourse give for abstaining from sex is that having sex would be against their religious or moral values. Other reasons cited include desire to avoid pregnancy, fear of contracting a sexually transmitted disease (STD), and not having met the appropriate partner.14 Three of four girls and over half of boys report that girls who have sex do so because their boyfriends want them to.15

* Teenagers who have strong emotional attachments to their parents are much less likely to become sexually active at an early age.16

* Most people say teens should remain abstinent but should have access to contraception. Ninety-four percent of adults in the United States-and 91 percent of teenagers-think it important that school-aged children and teenagers be given a strong message from society that they should abstain from sex until they are out of high school. Seventy-eight percent of adults also think that sexually active teenagers should have access to contraception.17

* Contraceptive use among sexually active teens has increased but remains inconsistent. Three-quarters of teens use some method of contraception (usually a condom) the first time they have sex.18 A sexually active teen who does not use contraception has a 90 percent chance of pregnancy within one year.19

* Parents rate high among many teens as trustworthy and preferred information sources on birth control. One in two teens say they "trust" their parents most for reliable and complete information about birth control, only 12 percent say a friend.20

* Teens who have been raised by both parents (biological or adoptive) from birth, have lower probabilities of having sex than teens who grew up in any other family situation. At age 16, 22 percent of girls from intact families and 44 percent of other girls have had sex at least once.21 Similarly, teens from intact, two-parent families are less likely to give birth in their teens than girls from other family backgrounds.22

From: http://www.teenpregnancy.org/resources/data/genlfact.asp
(the above is an excellent site on the subject)

Anderson, you are right though, your method would be the best. Unfortunately, I don't think we can expect "the best" out of all parents, probably not even the majority of them.

Keith
03-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Since we're on the debate about birth control here, how do you feel about schools handing free condoms out to your children?

Personally, I feel that should be a decision I should make as a parent. I don't think schools should be in the parenting business.

I agree. Schools have no right to pass condoms out. If they pass out condoms to kids, it is just like telling them to go ahead and have sex because everyone else does...just use protection. Abstinence should be the only message given to these kids, and no other alternative. If the parents have raised their children right, then this will be no problem.

Kids have been educated about safe sex too much. They feel that if they use a condom, they are 100% safe. Society says, "have fun, just use protection." Oh yeah, that's REAL education.

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 10:12 PM
I agree. Schools have no right to pass condoms out. If they pass out condoms to kids, it is just like telling them to go ahead and have sex because everyone else does...just use protection. Abstinence should be the only message given to these kids, and no other alternative. If the parents have raised their children right, then this will be no problem.

Kids have been educated about safe sex too much. They feel that if they use a condom, they are 100% safe. Society says, "have fun, just use protection." Oh yeah, that's REAL education.

There has never been a link proved by any study (and it's been tried) between passing condoms out and increasing occurances of sexual relations between kids. That statement is false.

Patrick
03-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Personally, I don't give any school the right to hand out condoms to my children. My children are minors, and I have all authority over them. By handing out condoms to my children, I feel they're violating my rights as a parent.

Keith
03-10-2005, 06:17 AM
There has never been a link proved by any study (and it's been tried) between passing condoms out and increasing occurances of sexual relations between kids. That statement is false.

Whatever!! Call it false if you want, but you are wrong.

Midtowner
03-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Whatever!! Call it false if you want, but you are wrong.

Most people say teens should remain abstinent but should have access to contraception. Ninety-four percent of adults in the United States-and 91 percent of teenagers-think it important that school-aged children and teenagers be given a strong message from society that they should abstain from sex until they are out of high school. Seventy-eight percent of adults also think that sexually active teenagers should have access to contraception.17

National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. (2003). With one voice: America's adults and teens sound off about teen pregnancy. Washington, DC: Author.

Contraceptive use among sexually active teens has increased but remains inconsistent. Three-quarters of teens use some method of contraception (usually a condom) the first time they have sex.18 A sexually active teen who does not use contraception has a 90 percent chance of pregnancy within one year.19

Alan Guttmacher Institute. (1994). Sex and America's Teenagers. New York and Washington, DC: Author.

Teaching teens about contraception does not make them have sex. Research is clear on this point: sex education does not increase sexual activity. In fact, in some cases, teaching teens about contraception seems to delay their sexual activity.5 And teaching young people the facts about contraception is not necessarily inconsistent with a strong abstinence message.

Hutchins, J. (2000). The Next Best Thing: Helping Sexually Active Teens Avoid Pregnancy. Washington, DC: National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

Access to contraception is necessary but not sufficient. Restricting sexually active teens from having access to contraception would be a mistake, but simply making contraceptive methods available to teens is not enough to motivate them to protect themselves. Research suggests that making contraceptives available to teens in schools does not increase their sexual activity, but it also doesn't seem to markedly increase sexually active teens' use of contraception either.6

Hutchins, J. (2000). The Next Best Thing: Helping Sexually Active Teens Avoid Pregnancy. Washington, DC: National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

Sorry, it would appear that you are the one who doesn't have his facts straight in this case.

Patrick
03-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Actually Midtowner you're right about the facts (I've seen these facts myself in the Peds clinic), but I still don't think it's a violation of my rights as a parent to hand condoms out to my child without receiving my permission or requiring some sort of parental notification.

Midtowner
03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Actually Midtowner you're right about the facts (I've seen these facts myself in the Peds clinic), but I still don't think it's a violation of my rights as a parent to hand condoms out to my child without receiving my permission or requiring some sort of parental notification.

So you'd rather that kids get pregnant?

Children's developing sexual characteristics are something that society pressures many parents to deny and ignore rather than discussing the issues with their children.

I'm confident that Patrick and Keith would raise their children right. However, my girlfriend, mother and aunt are teachers. They are around kids today. I subbed. I grant you, it's not a representative sample, but most kids do not have good relationships with their parents, and most kids are not religious -- I'll admit there are probably no hard facts here, but you'd probably agree with me on that anyhow.

You can educate your children about the contraception, however, if they choose to ignore your advice, or get caught up in the heat of a moment, wouldn't you like them to at least have the option of protection available?

It's an emotional situation for any parent to think about that, I'm sure, but here's one case where I think the kids need to be able to determine things for themselves.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Well lets see what you all think about this.When my 18 year old was a FRESHMEN a few years back after Football practice one day his Coach gave him and a few other boys a ride home.Wellllllllll to make a long story short he took it upon himself to give each of the boys a few condoms.I was Livid.I think that guys have Varying opinions on their sons having condoms than woman do But I was BENT.I do not think it is the place of the School,Coaches ,Counselours or any school staff person to take on this role without the consent of the Parent.I had talked to several friends about the time this all happened and got alot of"Well you should be happy that he has someone that he can go to about these things."I really dont see it that way.Anyways that is one of my Condom experiences with my son.

DarlingDiva:poke:

Patrick
03-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Exactly DarlingDiva! That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Midtowner
03-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Well lets see what you all think about this.When my 18 year old was a FRESHMEN a few years back after Football practice one day his Coach gave him and a few other boys a ride home.Wellllllllll to make a long story short he took it upon himself to give each of the boys a few condoms.I was Livid.I think that guys have Varying opinions on their sons having condoms than woman do But I was BENT.I do not think it is the place of the School,Coaches ,Counselours or any school staff person to take on this role without the consent of the Parent.I had talked to several friends about the time this all happened and got alot of"Well you should be happy that he has someone that he can go to about these things."I really dont see it that way.Anyways that is one of my Condom experiences with my son.

DarlingDiva:poke:

I can understand your feelings, the fact that you may feel someone usurped your absolute power as a parent, but really, you said it yourself in another thread -- teenage hormones are impossible to dictate to. The best you can do is try to mitigate the damage that they do. Your coach very well may have saved two kids from really putting a damper on their future dreams of college, etc. by having kids at a young age.

mom2des_n_nate
03-10-2005, 03:41 PM
My opinion in regards to this is that the school shouldn't just pass them out to everyone however I feel they should have access to them if the do choose to have intercourse. Such as having to go to a counsler or school nurse someone that can give the students the protection but also a little guidance since I know for some parents talking about sex it taboo to them.

prerunner1982
03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
my wife got prego at an early age and ever since has wanted to teach sex ed. In our house we arent hush hush about sex and i believe that has alot to do with young teens having sex... If the parents are open about it at an early age then there isnt as much mystery to it. They wont feel the need to go find out what its all about. On the other hand if its not something they can talk freely about then its some what taboo and wrong.. and we know how kids like to do things cause its wrong and makes them feel a "rush". Our daughter is 4.. and she already knows about sex... a bit earlier than we would have liked but she asked and we arent going to lie to her... so figure if we are open about sex now by the time she is 14-16 she will be well educated and not ignorant to the act.

as far as schools handing out condoms i wouldnt be all that excited about it.. making them available is one thing... giving them out is another. Perhaps parents also need to attend a sex ed class on how to educate thier children and be open about it, instead of leaving it up to the schools to do it.

Patrick
03-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe instead of handing them out like candy, they could just have them available in the school clinic. That might be a good alternative.

Midtowner
03-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Maybe instead of handing them out like candy, they could just have them available in the school clinic. That might be a good alternative.

I always figured vending machines in the bathrooms would be a good approach. We could use the money to further fund sex-ed classes.

nurfe75
03-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Once again I feel the need to prove to Rev. Bob and Keith that I do agree with them on certain topics. This is a matter for parents. Not public schools. Sorry to rant again about keeping the government and public sector out of people's private lives, but it is an important theme. It is up to parents to raise their kids and instill in them values and teach them about sex. It is NOT up to the schools.

I do agree with Midtowner that teen pregnancy is caused by parents refusing to discuss these matters with their children. But handing out rubbers in public schools is not the answer. As much as I might disagree with a lot of what the Christian right thinks, they pay as much taxes as the rest of us do. And they have the right to raise their kids however they want without a teacher undoing it and handing their kids condoms.

I would hope, though, that some of them would be more realistic about teenagers having sex. And though this may be off topic, something no one has brought up here is masturbation. If more parents would discuss sexuality with their kids and teach them that masturbation is okay, I think fewer kids would be running around having sex. Growing up in a household where sex is very hush hush and the human body is considered "dirty" pretty much guarantees your child will learn about sex elsewhere.

flyingcowz
03-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Being high school age myself, I have experienced this first-hand...my parents waited till let's say..I was about 14 to have the talk with me...I had known about sex for quite awhile before that....you got to understand us kids are not stupid..we know what is going on...some of us depending on how we are raised..will wait until marriage to do the "dirty"....but others are just gonna have sex and I believe that they should be able to have some sort of protection available to them...I don't believe in passing them out to everyone.. but at least keep them in the clinic or something...The key to solving Oklahoma's problem on this issue though, is you parents need to talk to your kids about it and be more involved in their life...it may not solve everything...but I gaurantee it will help...
-Paul

Jay
03-28-2005, 02:40 AM
Open communication is the most important part of a parent-child relationship. The problem is some parents encourage bad behavior. The parent-child relationship shouldn't be in the likes of a best friend.

It should be more along the likes of a mentor-apprentice relationship. In other words the parent is there to listen and teach lessons. When mistakes are made corrective actions are taken.

Too many adults allow teens to have privileges without explaining the responsibility that coincides with them.

Having access to a fire extinguisher does not mean you are qualified to be a firefighter.

Giving out condoms is nothing more than giving casual sex the green light. Teenagers need to focus on doing something with their life. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age for a teen to raise a child or to be fighting a sexual disease.

Midtowner
03-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Open communication is the most important part of a parent-child relationship. The problem is some parents encourage bad behavior. The parent-child relationship shouldn't be in the likes of a best friend.

It should be more along the likes of a mentor-apprentice relationship. In other words the parent is there to listen and teach lessons. When mistakes are made corrective actions are taken.

Too many adults allow teens to have privileges without explaining the responsibility that coincides with them.

Having access to a fire extinguisher does not mean you are qualified to be a firefighter.

Giving out condoms is nothing more than giving casual sex the green light. Teenagers need to focus on doing something with their life. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age for a teen to raise a child or to be fighting a sexual disease.

That's interesting. But there's also this other thing called "reality" that many of us actually consider when thinking about these things. It's apparent that not all of us do that, but that's cool.

The reality of the situation is that although the parent-child relationship shouldn't be a best buddy type relationship, it often is. Saying that it "shouldn't" be that way is not going to change reality.

Kids also shouldn't be having sex if they can't afford to deal with the potential consequences. However, in the real world that the rest of us live in, ignorant kids have sex every single day without the use of protection because they don't know any better.

Although kids should have goals in life, plans, etc., many in the real world do not. They live for the moment that they are in without giving much thought to what's tommorow. They do this, because in the real world, that's how they were raised or how they are.

I guess that's a common trait with folks who don't think safe sex should be an option for kids, they are living in the land of makebelieve where everything is as it "should" be. Well, this is reality, and things are as they are. Please accept that kids are going to do this no matter what they should or shouldn't do. If we have the ability by making prophylactic devices available, then it's certainly in society's best interest to do all we can to prevent teenagers ruining their lives with pregnancy and STD's.

Say hi to the tooth fairy for me.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
03-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Hmmm Okla75,

What a CAn Of Worms!I agree with Midtowner.I have a 18 year old son and I am sorry It is called reality.Im guessing you do not remember what it was to be a horny teenage boy.Anyways you are really starting something with the wrong person here.I was a Teen Mom.I became a mother at 15 years old I won't get into what I was lacking in my life that I needed attention from a boy att such a young age.But the fact is it happened and I do NOT want that to happen to my son,I want him to be able to have fun and experience life and get his education.By God if that means handing him a condom to be safe ,I will do it!Over and out its not condoning but he is almost 19 he IS a man.

DD

mranderson
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Okla75:

We live in a world where on nearly every television program, teenagers and adults are having sex, cussing like sailors, killing each other, doing drugs and more. These are shown in even more detail in the movies. So, just like I did when I was a teenager, they find someone and idolize them. Often that idol is not what I would call a proper role model.

As a result, they are brainwashed into thinking sex, drugs (including alcohol and tobacco products) cussing and criminal activity are acceptable.

Personally, I am not thrilled with the use of condoms, because I personally find them degrading and insulting. However, if the right woman asked me, I would probably give in. I also understand a parents concern for the use of them.

The only thing we could do better is to change the way we present life to our youth, and instill healthy, wholesome, respectiable, and proper role models... And teach them proper morals, including the right and wrong time to have sex.

Midtowner
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Okla75:

We live in a world where on nearly every television program, teenagers and adults are having sex, cussing like sailors, killing each other, doing drugs and more. These are shown in even more detail in the movies. So, just like I did when I was a teenager, they find someone and idolize them. Often that idol is not what I would call a proper role model.

As a result, they are brainwashed into thinking sex, drugs (including alcohol and tobacco products) cussing and criminal activity are acceptable.

Personally, I am not thrilled with the use of condoms, because I personally find them degrading and insulting. However, if the right woman asked me, I would probably give in. I also understand a parents concern for the use of them.

The only thing we could do better is to change the way we present life to our youth, and instill healthy, wholesome, respectiable, and proper role models... And teach them proper morals, including the right and wrong time to have sex.

Are you calling for censorship and government control of the media?

You claim to be a conservative? How can a true conservative agree that we should limit the freedom of the media to portray what it wants on television? How can a true conservative deny individuals the freedom to watch what they want on television?

Television only shows what people want to watch. Sex sells. Many people disagree with you, that's why they get cable with HBO. Now there are those in the government that even want to "clean up" cable.

I'm troubled that there are people that think that turning so much control over the media to the governement is a good idea. It's as troubling as the statistic that 35% of HS Seniors believe that the government should have veto power over stories on our newscasts.

Your degree is in broadcasting, right? You of all people should understand that this is a slippery slope that we don't want to start down.

And seriously.. you think this is a new problem, and you'd attribute it to television? Although I know of at least one academic study (I think it's the only one) that links sexual activity with television watching, it's main premise is easily attacked -- the relationship is easily explained by flipping the cause with the effect (e.g. kids who tend to have sex also watch sex on TV). At this point, it becomes a flimsy arguement at best. As always, I do your research for you. Here's a link to the aforementioned study:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/114/3/e280

Your argument that this is some sort of new phenomenon caused by the media also holds no water when exposed to the following statistics:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/teen_stats.html

These show that in the period from 1972 until 2001 (I'm sure the trend continues til today) the number of teenagers having births, abortions, and miscarriages has dropped almost every single year. almost halving with many age groups. Your argument holds no water when compared to factual data.

mranderson
03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
My political affiliation has nothing to do with this discussion. PERIOD!

Midtowner
03-28-2005, 01:36 PM
My political affiliation has nothing to do with this discussion. PERIOD!

Strange COMMA! I was not aware that "Conservative" was a political affiliation.

Please point me to their website.

So I guess you agree that the rest of your "facts" were made up and wrong again? Please respond to the arguments and don't try to get these threads off track. I agree, your political philosophy is not conservative in this case.

Midtowner
03-28-2005, 10:20 PM
"I never attack other members and make it a point to destroy every piece of their opinion."

"Like some members do on this board."

If you're going to contradict yourself, put some filler in between the sentences where you do it.

Jay
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Hmmm Okla75,

What a CAn Of Worms!I agree with Midtowner.I have a 18 year old son and I am sorry It is called reality.Im guessing you do not remember what it was to be a horny teenage boy.Anyways you are really starting something with the wrong person here.I was a Teen Mom.I became a mother at 15 years old I won't get into what I was lacking in my life that I needed attention from a boy att such a young age.But the fact is it happened and I do NOT want that to happen to my son,I want him to be able to have fun and experience life and get his education.By God if that means handing him a condom to be safe ,I will do it!Over and out its not condoning but he is almost 19 he IS a man.

DD

DD first of all the topic was in regards to schools handing out condoms. A parent has the right to due what they wish. You have done the right things in raising your son. I’m sure in many ways you are a perfect roll model for him.

I am sure you have shared the sacrifices you have made and the lessons you have learned throughout your life.

Through your experiences he has seen first hand the need to make the right decisions in life.

This is the point of my post. I never intended to start a fire with any member nor did intend to insult you or anyone.

What I post is my opinion. I never claim that my opinions are right. Its just how I feel its nothing personal.

I never attack other members and make it a point to destroy every piece of their opinion. Like some members do on this board. I simply post my opinion in support or against the post. I try my best to be respectful to everyone.

My apologies to you DD if this post offended you

Jay
03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Guess what midtowner I'm going to make your day. I'm leaving the board.

I'm tired of dealing with you.....

Midtowner
03-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Guess what midtowner I'm going to make your day. I'm leaving the board.

I'm tired of dealing with you.....

Actually, that doesn't "make my day". I'm sorry that you feel that way. Rereading this thread, I cannot find any examples of me doing anything but attacking the ideas of other people (i.e., not the people) -- especially the ones that were just factually wrong. I'm sorry that you take offense to that.

Often, when two or more people discuss something, there will be differing opinions, you know that. I'm saddened that you can't be tolerant of my opinion, nor do you seem to want to re-explain yours in such a light that it makes sense.

Perhaps I was off base in pointing out your veiled personal attack on me (that's what it was, I don't think there's any argument there). Two wrongs don't make a right. If I could delete the post, I probably would. So for that, I'm sorry, I may have been out of line.

As for lines like "Say hi to the tooth fairy for me", those were intended purely to be humorous, as well as to help to drive a point home. I try to add a little humor to an otherwise potentially unpleasant post. If you misinterpreted my intent as trying to make you 'look stupid', again, sorry.

But seriously, take the body of my posts into account. I do not 'attack' you or your ideas in most threads, in fact, I'm genuinely complimentary of even the people that send me threatening and crass private messages. I genuinely respect what they are doing and their wish to improve the city. While sometimes, we may differ on our individual ideas, we all share a passion for this fine city. I do respect you and everyone else here for that, but please don't think that means I have to agree with you all of the time, or even most of the time :D

As for stating my opinion and being insistant about why I am right and you are wrong, I have the facts on my side here, please don't get angry if I bring them up.

Midtowner
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Back to topic:

From CNN:

Report: Children's well-being improving
Teens committing fewer crimes, having fewer babies

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 Posted: 9:36 AM EST (1436 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- In many ways, children today are doing better than their parents did. They take fewer drugs, commit fewer crimes and have fewer babies.

If they would just lay off the chips and soda.

A huge increase in obesity and increases in young people living in poverty and in single-parent homes have held back even greater progress in children's overall well-being during the past three decades, according to the Foundation for Child Development.

The Child Well-Being Index, which tracks 28 separate measures, shows that since 1993 children have been engaging in less risky behavior. And while all is not rosy, the report says the overall well being of children is improving.

Among the findings:

# The adolescent and teen birth rate has dropped from 20 births per 1,000 girls in 1992 to an estimated 10.9 births per 1,000 girls in 2004.

# Binge drinking among high school seniors has fallen from 36.9 percent in 1975 to about 29.2 percent in 2004. Binge drinking is the consumption of five or more alcoholic drinks in one setting, and respondents were asked whether they had consumed such amounts within the past two weeks.

# The number of youth offenders -- and victims -- has fallen dramatically since 1993. The number of youths age 12-17 who were victims of crime in 1994 stood at 120 per 1,000 children. The number of crime victims in that same age group is projected at about 45 per 1,000 in 2004.

Jeffrey Butts, director of the youth justice program at the Urban Institute, said the report speaks well of today's teens.

"Maybe we have the next 'greatest generation' coming along here," Butts said.

Kenneth Land, a professor at Duke University and author of the report, said a number of factors contributed to the improvement.

For example, the declining crime rate could be attributed to a better economy, the waning of the crack cocaine epidemic and an expansion of community policing, including more officers in schools.

Parents, too, have played a role in the gains.

Parents who grew up in the 1970s and early '80s saw or experienced the effect of drug use and have been more assertive about controlling their own children's behavior, he said.

But Butts cautioned against linking trends to specific policy changes without further study. For example, he said that linking lower juvenile crime rates to funding police officers during the Clinton years sounded more like political speculation to him.

Butts also said improvements in such diverse categories as drug use, teen pregnancy and crime are hard to explain through government initiatives.
start quoteMaybe we have the next 'greatest generation' coming along here.end quote
-- Jeffrey Butts of the Urban Institute

"I think it's not so much a sign of policy-making as it is a fundamental cultural shift," Butts said.

The study was based on a series of statistical reports from the Census Bureau, the National Center for Health Statistics and other government agencies. The section on smoking, drinking and drugs used data from University of Michigan research.

In some categories, particularly health, America's children aren't doing so well. The obesity rate among children 6 to 17 has tripled since 1975 -- from about 5 percent to nearly 16 percent.

Test scores measuring academic achievement have remained stagnant during the three decades studied -- despite increases in per-pupil spending.

Also, the number of children 18 and under in single-parent households has increased over the past three decades. In 1975, about 17 percent of children lived in single-parent households. By 2003, that number had increased to 27.5 percent, with most of the increase occurring in the 1980s.

"We can do better and we are doing better, but not better enough," said Fasaha Traylor, senior program officer at the foundation.

The Foundation for Child Development is a national philanthropy dedicated to helping children, particularly the disadvantaged. It is funded through an endowment provided in 1944 from the estate of Milo Belding, who was a silk merchant.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parenting/03/30/americas.children.ap/index.html

Midtowner
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
For those of you too lazy to read the article, several times, kids today in this article are referred to as the "Next greatest generation".

Health (obesity) is the one area where we've gotten worse.

and (on subject now) birth rate has decreased.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 11:42 PM
How does this have to do with Oklacity75 attacking you? Do you want him to where a rubber while attacking you? I don't get it...

I must have missed this.

Midtowner
03-31-2005, 09:41 AM
How does this have to do with Oklacity75 attacking you? Do you want him to where a rubber while attacking you? I don't get it...

I must have missed this.

What are you talking about? Please read the thread before making foolish remarks.