View Full Version : If companies want Kevin Durant "they're going to have to come to Oklahoma City".

okclee
11-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Kevin Durant: If companies want his endorsement, 'they're going to have to come to Oklahoma City'
Kevin Durant is proving that you don't have to be in New York or Los Angeles to get endorsements.

By Darnell Mayberry, Staff Writer, dmayberry@opubco.com Oklahoman Comment on this article 3
Published: November 8, 2010

On most Mondays, Court No. 2 inside the Santa Fe Family Life Center in north Oklahoma City is reserved for volleyball practice or basketball-hungry homeschoolers.

But the adjacent set of aluminum stage lights shining from half-court on this Monday afternoon suggested something different, something special, was happening just off the bottom of the two flights of stairs that lead to the gymnasium.

And when the man of the hour stepped on the floor, his signature long strides taking center stage just after 3:30 p.m., he entered to a chorus of applause from a small crowd of children.

Kevin Durant couldn't have been further from the big-time.

Read more: http://newsok.com/if-companies-want-durant-theyre-going-to-have-to-come-to-oklahoma-city/article/3512614?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz14nQ4elc z

okclee
11-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Mods move this to Thunder sports if needed.

I felt this is more about Okc than it is about sports.

One can't say enough about what this kid is doing for Okc. Yesterday there was a newsweek article stating how Okc is a top city for economic recovery and cited Kevin Durant as a reason young people wanting to move to Okc. No other city had sports mentioned as a deciding factor and Dallas was on the list too.

Like I said can't say enough how great it is to have this type of pro player as an ambassador for Okc.

Rover
11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
The same article suggested that OKC might be the next OZ.

We are really really fortunate that KD is the face of the franchise. We are blessed that with our first experience in the big leagues, the star is someone as down to earth as him and so representative of the values we share here in OKC. He has directed the spotlight to everyone and everything in his life that contributes to him as a person and never shines it on himself. Sure am proud he represents this city as a global icon.

Steve
11-10-2010, 02:31 PM
KD needs to get Nike to open up a shop downtown.

metro
11-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Good suggestion Steve.

Spartan
11-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Win.

HOT ROD
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
very interesting point - - -

Nike has stores in every market where they use athletes as advertisements (except OKC. ...).

Something the city should go pursue, quick!

And kick Bass Pro out while they're at it - they belong in the suburbs (or Crossroads) anyways. Niketown would be a much better use for that building.

metro
11-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Niketown in Auto Alley where we have been proposing Urban Outfitters maybe? 10th and Broadway on either NW or NE corner they are both big, multistory buildings in urban setting that Niketown likes to locate in often.

Rover
11-11-2010, 08:43 AM
very interesting point - - -

Nike has stores in every market where they use athletes as advertisements (except OKC. ...).

Something the city should go pursue, quick!

And kick Bass Pro out while they're at it - they belong in the suburbs (or Crossroads) anyways. Niketown would be a much better use for that building.

Kick Bass Pro out...you are kidding, right? Like it or not, it has more cars in its parking lot than all the other retail in downtown put together....by a lot. If Bass Pro brings people into the area it is a good thing. ADDING a Nike Town in a visible area would capitalize on it as a destination AND with those going to Bass Pro. This isn't an either or. Retail often needs critical mass. Just because you have a burr under your saddle for Bass Pro doesn't mean it is a failure.

When people stand on their dogma they hinder progress. Even a dogma of self proclaimed "progressive" thought or a pre-conceived notion of urbanism.

Steve, do you know people who can get with KD and suggest this kind of proposal? And maybe a landlord willing to concede something to make it happen?

Midtowner
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Folks tend to object to Bass Pro for 2 reasons--1) The shady way the deal was put together; or 2) they don't like the type of folks Bass Pro attracts.

As to 1), it's done, lawsuits were filed and never went anywhere. The best thing to do is embrace it, because we don't really have a choice.

2) Those folks spend money like the rest of us. They are why we have Toby Keith's, and why the hotels are filled. Bass Pro is a destination for folks from all around Oklahoma. Like it or no, it's one of Bricktown's biggest draws. Not every place can be filled with hipsters and indie bands.

Kerry
11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Folks tend to object to Bass Pro for 2 reasons--1) The shady way the deal was put together; or 2) they don't like the type of folks Bass Pro attracts.

I was in favor of the Bass Pro deal but I am not happy with how it turned out. If I had known the city was going to build a large one story building and a parking lot the size Texas on prime canal front land I would have been opposed. I wish the well connected in OKC were a little more old world urban. They had a chance to do something unique to OKC and set the standard for other developers but they dropped the ball. The Chamber of Commerce is no better.

Ever notice how about 90% of the residential space in Core to Shore was depeicted as 1 and 2 story homes. Nothing under 4 stories should be allowed in Core to Shore.

Midtowner
11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Ever notice how about 90% of the residential space in Core to Shore was depeicted as 1 and 2 story homes. Nothing under 4 stories should be allowed in Core to Shore.

Those were just renderings, but I generally agree. It's just that the developments aren't being done with my money, so I don't get much of a say. I'm assuming the homes in Core to Shore will demand a pretty hefty location premium. Probably ~$300/sq. ft. (in today's money). We also might not be seeing any sort of new construction residential for a long while. There's a lot of talk at the federal level of killing mortgage interest tax deductions, which will probably kill new home construction for awhile.

okclee
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM

If KD could bring a Nike town to Okc, we should name a district after him.

I have asked this before, but whatever happened to all of the retail companies that the Okc chamber met with early this year?

I believe the convention was in Las Vegas and the chamber came back telling stories about all the new retail that was lining up with interest in Okc, no names were mentioned because they didn't want to spoil it.

HOT ROD
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I dont doubt that Bass Pro is a draw, but I still think it should have been located outside of downtown. Im not sure how many years are left on the lease, but I really think it would do well in the Crossroads area (I thought that all along) and could really revive that retail corridor. We should have downtown focus on urban and a mix of upscale and not already in okc retail options.

I totally understand the crowds that Bass Pro brings and this was the original idea for Bricktown, but it wasn't done in an urban way to create an economy - it was they just built a building and a huge parking lot - which would work better in a suburban area instead of downtown.

I don't have a problem with the people Bass Pro attracts - they spend money and are welcome in the city just like everyone else. But I think it could have been done better for downtown or should have been located elsewhere in the city in it's current design and been even more successful (say at Crossroads or Quail).