View Full Version : New Phone

SoonerQueen
11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I just got a new phone from AT&T. It's the LG Vu Plus. I'm having trouble navigating on it, and was wondering if I can put apps on it like Iheartradio or weather apps. Does anyone know?

Thunder
11-09-2010, 03:26 AM
You made a mistake. Switch to Sprint while you still can and save money.

Lord Helmet
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
No you cannot install apps on that phone. It's what is referred to as a 'feature phone'

If you want to use apps like those you mentioned, its best to get an iPhone, Android phone, or even a Blackberry.

BBatesokc
11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Since Queen's question was answered I guess it won't be considered hijacking this thread if I ask for recommendations for a new phone on the Sprint network? I have a Samsung Moment and hate it. Like the EVO but I think it's crazy to pay $10/month for 4g when it's not available. Any other ideas?

Thunder
11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Brian, it is worth it. Only 10 tiny bux. Go for it. 4G will arrive soon. Cuz of that surcharge, EVO is available to you for so much less. And since it is so much better than iPhone, you should just go for it. So many features, much more on iPhone. Even with the 10 bux xtra, it is still cheaper than services for iPhone. MAKE THE SWITCH, BRIAN!

BBatesokc
11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Stupid to pay $10/month for service you don't get. That would be like paying for HBO but not getting to watch it.

Sprint was saying 4g in OKC the 1st quarter of 2011. Now they are saying within 36 months!

Besides, the EVO is huge.

Lord Helmet
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Since Queen's question was answered I guess it won't be considered hijacking this thread if I ask for recommendations for a new phone on the Sprint network? I have a Samsung Moment and hate it. Like the EVO but I think it's crazy to pay $10/month for 4g when it's not available. Any other ideas?

I looked at the EVO before getting my iPhone 4. It felt too big in my hand for a phone. I also find Android to be a bit clunckier than iOS. However, if I was forced to go with Sprint I'd grab an EVO...simply because there isn't a better option IMHO.

MadMonk
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Any recommendations for a non-smart phone on AT&T? My wife no longer needs her blackberry and wants a phone that can simply make calls and do some texting (and sending photos). It must be a slider and preferably have a querty keyboard. We are looking at the Samsung Flight II, Samsung Impression, and the LG Xenon.

Thunder
11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd recommend the Samsung Impression for your lovely wife.

Dustin
11-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Evoevoevoevoevoevoevo

SoonerQueen
11-14-2010, 12:01 AM
From what I understand, the phone I have rates very well and is a good phone. I'm just having trouble getting used to it.

Eep
11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
From what I understand, the phone I have rates very well and is a good phone. I'm just having trouble getting used to it.
It may very well be a "good phone", but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good phone for you. Think about everything you would want your ideal phone to do - does this one do that stuff? There are so many different hardware manufacturers, software platforms, cell carriers, etc. in the market right now that you probably won't have to compromise on much.

Probably the two biggest choices people make to narrow down their options are 1) am I willing to pay for a phone, or am I selecting from what my carrier is offering for free with a contract extension, and 2) do I want a phone that I can install apps on, or am I content with limited functionality as long as I can still check my email, browse the web, send text messages? If you do want a phone that you can install somewhat arbitrary apps on, your choices are pretty much verbatim how Lord Helmet laid them out:

iPhone, Android phone, or even a Blackberry

BBatesokc
11-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Well, I broke down and got the EVO. All the new smart phones that had the features I wanted were 3G/4G (meaning you have to pay the 4G surcharge). But, Sprint recently lowered my monthly rate by $20/month when I threatened to switch to AT&T and while at the Sprint store I was informed I qualified for an additional 15% monthly discount. They also threw in a free car charger and Otter Case.

I've had it a week now. I never doubted I'd like it, the reviews have been great. I just didn't want to throw money away.

The saleslady told me they were told not to expect 4G in OKC until 2012.

Thunder
11-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Brian, you made a lovely choice. You'll for sure to love it. The 10 bux xtra a month shouldn't be noticeable for you. And when the time comes for 4G being pretty much the norm, we wouldn't pay for such surcharge anymore.

HewenttoJared
11-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Ugh. Evo battery life is soooooooo terrible. Some of the people who work for me sell hundreds of phones a month, and we keep track of the reasons for returns pretty closely. Every Evo that comes back is because of the battery. Switch to AT&T. Get the iPhone 4 or the Captivate.

BBatesokc
11-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I read that some people complained about the battery life, but I have yet to see that issue. I am a heavy smart phone user (lots of FaceBook checking/updates, FourSquare checkins, twitter and I take pics of everything). Whenever I get in the car or I'm at my computer I simply plug it in. Even without recharging I can usually go an 8-5 day with no problems.

I couldn't imagine bringing back an EVO over battery issues since its functions so far outweigh any battery issue. As for dropping EVO for an iPhone - you can buy lots of extra batteries for the amount AT&T will rip you off if you go with them.

HewenttoJared
11-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Yea i guess it depends on the job. The guys who work for me constantly complain about it, but they are not sitting at or near a computer.

BBatesokc
11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Yea i guess it depends on the job. The guys who work for me constantly complain about it, but they are not sitting at or near a computer.

I think I actually see their complaints. I was in Austin for the last week and a plug in was not always readily available. I was shopping mostly and doing lots of bar code scanning and price comparing. I lost juice about 3pm and was quite annoyed.

I went on Amazon and ordered an aftermarket extended life battery. Makes the phone a bit thicker, but the reviews were really good. I will get than and keep it for out of town trips and use the factory battery at home.

One thing I did notice about the EVO that annoys me. I thought I'd be able to get rid of my Sprint MiFi device. But just learned that when using 3G MiFi on the EVO you can't make or receive phone calls!!!!!!!

HewenttoJared
12-02-2010, 11:00 AM
I've actually watched an Evo battery drop while it was plugged into a charger. I couldn't stop laughing.