View Full Version : Grass fire season is here, make sure you are prepared

Mikemarsh51
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Make sure your yard is mowed low. Even in residential areas, high winds can push a grass fire to fences, fire wood, trash cans or anything stored next to your house. Move all combustibles away from any structures. Materials can be next to a brick wall, those materials can catch fire and ignite the eave. If you are upwind from a certain fire storm, evacuation is your best idea.

MustangGT
11-08-2010, 01:46 PM
If you are upwind from a certain fire storm, evacuation is your best idea.

I believe you meant downwind as being upwind means the fire is moving away from your position.

PennyQuilts
11-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Mike, thanks for the reminder. Husband always keeps hoses handy even in the winter in case of a grass fire. He says he'd rather replaces hoses than a house and we are some distance from a fire department and have cedars lining the property.

MustangGT
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Make sure you have abided by the recommendations of the Forestry Dept about how to clear your property to minimize fire dangers. As far as I am concerned if the homeowner is too lazy/stupid/indolent to clear their property the FD should let it burn and save the neighbor who took the proper precautions.

Mikemarsh51
11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
You'll have to excuse me GT, I am admittedly directionally dyslexic.

PennyQuilts
11-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Most of the cedars are on the neighbor's property but I do have a few on my side that the dogs love to chase bunnies through. I probably should get rid of them but they love them and they offer a windbreak. We also have an evergreen right under the eaves of the house that we need to trim way back (again). I think it was originally planted as a bush by someone with no ability to think ahead. Need to just yank it out.