View Full Version : Anthropologie

Pages : [1] 2

betts
11-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Every old thread that seemed relevant was closed, so I'm starting a new one, even though I don't have substantive news. My daughter told me that the Tulsa Anthropologie is doing business far exceeding expectations of management, and she said we are definitely high on the list for a store here. They were looking at OKC before anyway, but this has confirmed that we're a logical location for expansion.

I agree with the idea of an Urban Outfitters on Broadway in Automobile Alley. It would definitely fit in with what they've done in other cities in terms of store locations. So, perhaps people should write the company and suggest that location, since they're definitely looking at OKC for an Anthropologie. It would be logical for them to put in two stores at the same time.

FritterGirl
11-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Oh please and thank you to both! I will likely go to my grave wrapped up in Anthropoligie scarves. LOL!!!

betts
11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
It's interesting, because the Omaha store has so far been somewhat of a disappointment, and Omaha seems to get everything before we do. Better demographics don't always tell the whole story.

FritterGirl
11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I've been to the San Francisco and St. Louis stores. Both were about on par with one another, with San Francisco being slightly larger and having more in the way of home wares, linens, etc. I haven't been to the Tulsa store, so may have to trek up there for comparison.

Yeah, Omaha does have surprisingly good demographics for a mid-size city. Our overall spread and pockets of wealth as opposed to a larger mid-cluster hurts us in the retail area. Retailers don't want their target consumers to have to drive more than (x) miles to find their products within the market.

Once again our geographic size is our achilles' heel.

BDP
11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I would love to see them do Automobile Alley/Mid-Town, but Classen Curve really seems like a slam dunk for the Urban Outfitters brands, imo. Honestly, any mid-level to upscale retailer than is not a 25k plus square foot only operation should take a look at CC.

Hopefully, mid-town/uptown can capture the local boutique market and build off that.

BG918
11-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Auto Alley is perfect for Urban Outfitters, but where exactly? Classen Curve is a better fit for Anthropologie and would help lure more retail.

metro
11-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Auto Alley is perfect for Urban Outfitters, but where exactly? Classen Curve is a better fit for Anthropologie and would help lure more retail.

I've stated before that either building at the intersection of 10th and Broadway; would be perfect either on the NW corner (preferred) or the one on the NE corner (where the temporary Lego City Scape is being housed) would be PERFECT for U.O.

onthestrip
11-08-2010, 09:10 AM
I dont see urban outfitters or anthro locating in Classen Curve, the buildings are too small and have no depth. Parking would still be an issue too. Not sure if I see them opening in AA yet either. There is basically no retail presence there and I doubt they are looking to be AA retail pioneers.

betts
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I think there's enough going on at 10th and Broadway to potentially attract an Urban Outfitters. The space is perfect for them too, and there is adjacent parking. I don't necessarily think they want to be retail pioneers, but there is enough consumer activity around there to potentially attract them.

I'm hoping maybe Aubrey will build a building for Anthropologie on his CC campus that would suit them, as it is true that the depth of the Classen Curve buildings is a problem for Anthropologie.

circuitboard
11-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I wrote UO and suggested CC, before the construction had even started. Parking could be an issue, I am not sure. I know that Mockingbird station in Dallas is compact. Horriable front parking, but they do have underground garage off to the side.

BG918
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I've stated before that either building at the intersection of 10th and Broadway; would be perfect either on the NW corner (preferred) or the one on the NE corner (where the temporary Lego City Scape is being housed) would be PERFECT for U.O.

Agree, that would be a great presence at such a busy intersection as 10th & Broadway. How long is the Lego cityscape going to be in the building at the NE corner? The building at the NW corner is move-in ready.

EBAH
11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I honestly do think an UO would do very nicely in either of the large buildings on the corner of 10 and BRDWY. But, I'm sure that the company would like it to be a little further along in it's progress as a retail center. Both buildings have potential to house very large retail spaces. I know it would be a huge destination store for it's demo across the entire metro. Throw in a high quality grocer on the other corner, an artsy bookstore (maybe something akin to Domy in Houston/Austin), maybe a record store (selfishness), and a couple more small hip fusion restaurants and you'd have a place to burn an entire Saturday. Again, I don't see it happening, I would imagine either of these stores would be going to a more established retail center (of course, if the incentives were right....). However, if that neighborhood started to flesh out in that way, I would be VERY happy. If they wanted to make my wife dizzy with happiness they could make an awesome "flagship" style store in the building on the NW corner of 10 and BRDWY with an Urban Outfitters on bottom and an Anthropologie on top! Either way I hope we get both stores, and I know Penn Sq would take them in just fine and they'd do well there. But I hope they go the boutique route.

okclee
11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
What happened to all of the possible (secret list) of new businesses that the c.o.c. were interviewing?

BDP
11-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I dont see urban outfitters or anthro locating in Classen Curve, the buildings are too small and have no depth. Parking would still be an issue too.

How big do you think they need to be? Is there a depth requirement for UO? There's certainly more square feet available there than in Penn Square and, if they do come here, they're not going to a store the size of a Union Square store (SF or New York).

Parking could be an issue, but I think that is more due to the buildings being spread out rather than number of spaces. People will walk as long as they're not walking by nothing. I've certainly been to many that have no parking. Of course, there was public transit access.

Broadway would be cool and is aesthetically appropriate, but I would be shocked if they went in alone. Retail just doesn't work that way. These are still mass merchandisers we're talking about. They may be a little more stylish than a Gap or Banana Republic, but their operations model isn't very different.

Steve
11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
What is parking like these days at Classen Curve?

Patrick
11-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Both are on the waiting list at Penn Square. UO has looked at Classen Curve. Simply not enough space. Anthropologie is a go for Penn Square sometime in the near future. Tuscana is another possible location.

circuitboard
11-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Both are on the waiting list at Penn Square. UO has looked at Classen Curve. Simply not enough space. Anthropologie is a go for Penn Square sometime in the near future. Tuscana is another possible location.

I call BS on classen curve... not enough space? Have you been to the urban outfitters in Vegas @ planet hollywood.... TINY!

betts
11-14-2010, 01:52 AM
I don't think the space at Classen Curve is the problem, but rather the configuration of the space. They don't like the long shallow buildings and think the plethora of windows is a problem. I hadn't heard about them being on the waiting list at Penn Square because they typically don't like to go into malls, although they have in other cities. I was hoping maybe Aubrey would build Anthro a free-standing building somewhere near Classen Curve. They like Nichols Hills Plaza, but not the fact that nothing is open past 5 but restaurants, and I'm not sure what Aubrey has planned for that area. My daughter told them on pain of death (j/k) not to go to Edmond and they implied they agreed, but perhaps Tuscana would be un-Edmondish enough to be a consideration for Anthro. It seems wrong for UO though, and Automobile Alley would have the right feel and also be equidistant between Norman and Edmond colleges.

FritterGirl
11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Much higher traffic count at a mall, which I think suits Anthropologie and most any major national retailer's needs much more.

Sorry, but outside of RePUBlic, I am just not a fan of Classen Curve - at all. Good concept, just poorly executed in terms of accessibility and a sense of friendly open space. Retail is all about creating open, inviting space in order to draw people in. Classen Curve does anything but.
While I admire much of Rand's work, I find this to be too cold and impersonal for the type of establishment created.

Really poor decision making on this one in my opinion.

Patrick
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I think they're pushing Anthro more for the mall, and looking at other sites for Urban Outfitters. Anthro has several mall locations around the country. And they said they just didn't find the space they needed at Classen Curve. You can interpret that multiple ways...could've and more likely was that they didn 't find a space that worked for them, not necessarily enough space.

soonerguru
11-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree with frittergirl 100%. Classen Curve is massive, massive disappointment for OKC in general. It's a shame that this is OKC putting out its retail shingle to compete with things like West Village in Dallas and even Utica Square in Tulsa. It's too bad really.

Dustin
11-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Tuscana is another possible location.

??? That place is still a go?

Patrick
11-16-2010, 04:46 PM
??? That place is still a go?

Still on the drawing board if the Economy would ever pick up. I wish them a lot of luck attracting high end stores, but the market up there is right with so many high dollar neighborhoods in close proximity. I still question it's close proximity to a large mall though.

BDP
11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, they may or may not have looked at Classen Curve, but if they do in fact have space and configuration of space rules that they do not break, Classen Curve's layout is not a problem. I have been in UO's that would fit in CC and skinny ones as well (the one in Mandalay Bay/Luxor shoppes comes to mind. If they had said they didn't like the current traffic counts, then I would totally buy it, but if they said they had to be at least 10k and as square as possible, they were blowing smoke, because they've done it before. In the end, if there are shoppers, they're going to find a way to work in the space available, period.

BDP
11-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Sorry, but outside of RePUBlic, I am just not a fan of Classen Curve - at all. Good concept, just poorly executed in terms of accessibility and a sense of friendly open space.

Actually, I think the 501 Cafe / Balliet's end of it is the best and most inviting. I think the Republic part feels very strip mallish, as does Republic itself. I agree CC is a good concept, if only it weren't so disjointed. Interestingly, I recently had a friend from Dallas, who has lived in NYC and Arizona, say he liked the architecture here. He said in general it's more interesting than Dallas, but that it seems kind of scattered. Granted, I haven't ever taken him above 63rd, but it was surprising to hear. There is a lot I like about it, but I always get the feeling that most here don't appreciate it much.

betts
11-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, they may or may not have looked at Classen Curve, but if they do in fact have space and configuration of space rules that they do not break, Classen Curve's layout is not a problem. I have been in UO's that would fit in CC and skinny ones as well (the one in Mandalay Bay/Luxor shoppes comes to mind. If they had said they didn't like the current traffic counts, then I would totally buy it, but if they said they had to be at least 10k and as square as possible, they were blowing smoke, because they've done it before. In the end, if there are shoppers, they're going to find a way to work in the space available, period.

They have looked at Classen Curve. The person in charge of selecting new locations for Anthropologie has been here, I'm quite sure. I'm not sure if they're considering an Urban Outfitters here, but it has less rigorous space requirements than Anthro, I believe. I don't think they concentrate on their dressing rooms as much.

Patrick
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah Urban Outfitters isn't even on the map for here right now. They have looked at Classen Curve recently for Anthopologie because Penn Square doesn't have the space they want right now, although they are on the waiting list at Penn Square.

J. Pitman
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree with frittergirl 100%. Classen Curve is massive, massive disappointment for OKC in general. It's a shame that this is OKC putting out its retail shingle to compete with things like West Village in Dallas and even Utica Square in Tulsa. It's too bad really.

No one I talk to seems to be disappointed with the Classen Curve. It's part of a larger development that is still a work in progress.

Everyone one is an amateur urban planner these days.

OKCMallen
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Massive massive disappointment? Its patronage would suggest otherwise.

soonerguru
11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Classen Curve is a series of parking lots surrounded by airplane hangars.

J. Pitman
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Classen Curve is a series of parking lots surrounded by airplane hangars.

Sweet opinion.

If you don't like it don't patronize it, problem solved.

betts
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Classen Curve just isnt' big enough yet, and that's what makes it feel claustrophobic, IMO. It needs to be more than one block wide, and hopefully expansion is in the plans. Utica Square feels different because it's bigger. It's not particularly attractive, but has more open space, a lot of which is just parking, however.

soonerguru
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Classen Curve just isnt' big enough yet, and that's what makes it feel claustrophobic, IMO. It needs to be more than one block wide, and hopefully expansion is in the plans. Utica Square feels different because it's bigger. It's not particularly attractive, but has more open space, a lot of which is just parking, however.

Utica Square is much friendlier -- and more attractive -- than Classen Curve. Yes, it has parking, but it doesn't feel like a strip mall, which Classen Curve does.

Architect2010
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think Classen Curve feels like a strip mall. It may take a similar approach as strip malls, but it's closed in on itself and is at very high caliber of design. It's attractive, modern, and hip. It's not Utica Square, but to call it a strip mall is just ignorance.

bluedogok
11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
If Classen Curve was meant to appeal to everyone's tastes it would be as generic as Belle Isle Station or any of the other bland, generic strip malls in the OKC area.

I work in The Domain and it has bland, generic town center written all over it....at least Classen Curve is something different than the norm.
Maybe the power washing of the mall...I mean sidewalks every morning plays into the fact that it is just an outdoor mall with some office and hotels but still feels like a mall.

progressiveboy
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't think Classen Curve feels like a strip mall. It may take a similar approach as strip malls, but it's closed in on itself and is at very high caliber of design. It's attractive, modern, and hip. It's not Utica Square, but to call it a strip mall is just ignorance. I agree. This is no cookie cutter shopping center. It is very modern and is so different. You would find this design in a city such as Los Angeles! Not your typical OKC boring shopping center. I really like the design and layout!

semisimple
11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
I work in The Domain and it has bland, generic town center written all over it....at least Classen Curve is something different than the norm.
Maybe the power washing of the mall...I mean sidewalks every morning plays into the fact that it is just an outdoor mall with some office and hotels but still feels like a mall.

I doubt a lot of people on here know what The Domain is. (A "lifestyle center" in Austin.)

I agree that The Domain's buildings look a bit bland relative to CC but you are otherwise comparing apples to oranges. The Domain has literally eight times the retail space of Classen Curve--a true outdoor (high-end) mall with apartments over the stores along with offices and hotels on the property. I think most people in OKC would much rather have a development like The Domain as opposed to CC.

bluedogok
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Only Phase I has the "high-end" shopping (the section my office is located) and the other phases are the same old mall stores that are everywhere else. I think The Domain is a shell of what it could have been but it is pretty much the same as every other one like it that Simon has developed (and we do some work for Simon). Having worked in there for two years I would rather our office be located somewhere else, just personal preference. Yeah, most would probably like it better, I think the Tuscana development north of Quail Springs Mall is supposed to be similar, if it happens it will probably be popular.

I think the problem most have with Classen Circle is the fact that everything around there isn't "done yet" so it is out of context with what the entire development is supposed be...that or some people just prefer a fake, stucco world over something different.

onthestrip
11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I like the modern, interesting design of CC but Im not a fan of the layout. Too long and narrow, snakes around that neighborhood far too much. I also dont buy the pedestrian friendly tag some people give it. Would be better if it were more of a square or plaza. I don't see many national retailers locating there.

MustangGT
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Would be better if it were more of a square or plaza. I don't see many national retailers locating there.

Considering the property the layout is what it is. So what if national retailers do not locate here. Local/regional companies will do just fine.

MustangGT
11-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Classen Curve just isnt' big enough yet, and that's what makes it feel claustrophobic, IMO. It needs to be more than one block wide, and hopefully expansion is in the plans.

Claustrophobic is a load of phooey. It is open and airy, to say otherwise is to deny the facts. And just where do you feel it should expand into. The residential neighborhood or the cemetery. No other options available.

betts
11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Aubrey is already buying houses just south of the Curve. I believe he owns at least six. I would be very surprised if there aren't plans for eventual expansion. And, it WILL feel more spacious and more like an open air shopping center when/ if it's a square rather than the current rectangle.

redrunner
11-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Aubrey is already buying houses just south of the Curve. I believe he owns at least six. I would be very surprised if there aren't plans for eventual expansion. And, it WILL feel more spacious and more like an open air shopping center when/ if it's a square rather than the current rectangle.

Exactly... If you look at a bird's eye view of just the Classen Curve shopping center it doesn't make sense and it is very disjointed. But take account for the swath of land in the middle where Aubrey is buying up old houses and it could very possibly turn into a retail/hotel/residential project in the center of the square almost like the West Village in Big D.

MustangGT
11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
And, it WILL feel more spacious and more like an open air shopping center when/ if it's a square rather than the current rectangle.

It is in actualliy an arch. A rectangle by definition has straight lines and the Classen Curve by definition is NOT a rectangle. Please be corrrect in your terms. Correct terms matter.

MustangGT
11-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Exactly... If you look at a bird's eye view of just the Classen Curve shopping center it doesn't make sense and it is very disjointed.

In your opinion. Even if no additions are made the property makes sense and is economically viable.

soonerguru
11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
In your opinion. Even if no additions are made the property makes sense and is economically viable.

How is it economically viable if it is more than 50% vacant?

betts
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Classen Curve will be fine.. It will fill up, I feel quite certain. There are too many draws there that will appeal to other retailers. Most of the people going to Barre 3 have time on their hands and money in their pockets, in addition to those lunching or shopping at Balliet's, BD Home or On A Whim.

An arch is U-shaped, I believe, so perhaps it's half an arch or a candy cane, if we're obliged to be correct in our terms on this forum? Geometry is a weak suit of mine but regardless it feels like a rectangle to me. And when it is truly another block or two wider it will have more of a open air shopping center feel to it, I believe.

MustangGT
11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
if we're obliged to be correct in our terms on this forum?

It helps to speak with terms members are generally familiar with and understand.

redrunner
11-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Even if no additions are made the property makes sense and is economically viable.

In your opinion.
Give me an example of an economically viable and successful retail center elsewhere that is wrapped around a residential neighborhood with no inter-crossing access. It would be like going to Macy's at Penn Square and then walking outside around the perimeter of the mall to go to Dillard's. Therefore I stand by opinion that the layout doesn't make sense and is disjointed by providing reasons. What reasoning do you have to support your opinion that it makes sense even without additions? I don't know if the intention at Classen Curve is to hop in your car from store to store. I would love to see you walk from Cafe 501 to Red Coyote and tell me how that makes sense. But at the end of the day we all know there are big plans in store for the residential neighborhood in the center to evolve into a new multi-use development or else CHK wouldn't be buying all those old homes. Then it will make sense.

onthestrip
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
So what if national retailers do not locate here.

Well, this is in a thread titled Anthropologie.

Exactly... If you look at a bird's eye view of just the Classen Curve shopping center it doesn't make sense and it is very disjointed. But take account for the swath of land in the middle where Aubrey is buying up old houses and it could very possibly turn into a retail/hotel/residential project in the center of the square almost like the West Village in Big D.

This is a very ambitious plan. Homeowners already have seen Aubreys hand, they will be a tough buyout. It will take a long time and be very costly to accomplish this. Probably should have acquired more houses before he developed it.

J. Pitman
11-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I like the modern, interesting design of CC but Im not a fan of the layout. Too long and narrow, snakes around that neighborhood far too much. I also dont buy the pedestrian friendly tag some people give it. Would be better if it were more of a square or plaza. I don't see many national retailers locating there.

It was never about attracting national retailers. The plan was always to attract successful local businesses.
As far as that neighborhood goes, my understanding is that is part of the master plan. Those homes are supposed to be demolished and developed into a green housing development.

CC is one small part of a larger master plan.

J. Pitman
11-18-2010, 08:40 AM
I would love to see you walk from Cafe 501 to Red Coyote and tell me how that makes sense.

You've obviously never done the walk. It's quite a small distance, there a stairways and cut throughs on the east side of the development.

onthestrip
11-18-2010, 09:07 AM
It was never about attracting national retailers. The plan was always to attract successful local businesses.
As far as that neighborhood goes, my understanding is that is part of the master plan. Those homes are supposed to be demolished and developed into a green housing development.

CC is one small part of a larger master plan.

I wasnt aware that it was only for local retailers, seeing how that when this was being built everyone was hoping for Anthropologie, Urban Ourfitters, Restoration Hardware and so on.

And again, good luck to Aubrey on buying the remaining houses. Those houses wont be a cheap and easy buy.

J. Pitman
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I wasnt aware that it was only for local retailers, seeing how that when this was being built everyone was hoping for Anthropologie, Urban Ourfitters, Restoration Hardware and so on.

And again, good luck to Aubrey on buying the remaining houses. Those houses wont be a cheap and easy buy.

I didn't say "only" but people in the "know" always presented it as a development that would attract successful local businesses and business owners.

You think a couple of small homeowners are going to stand in the way of the overall development?

onthestrip
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
You think a couple of small homeowners are going to stand in the way of the overall development?

Absolutely they will. Ive had some experience with acquiring multiple properties for a larger development and you never show your hand until you have secured all properties. These homeowners have seen what he is doing with CC, have seen some of the inflated prices he has paid for nearby properties and will hold out until they are paid a very large sum of money. Buying these homes will take several more years and millions of more dollars.

betts
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I was told by someone very much in the know that the plan for CC was decidedly biased towards local retail and restaurants. I think the only people who have wished for some national retailers are people on this forum, me included. I want to use my 25 percent discount card at Anthro, UO and Free People!

J. Pitman
11-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Absolutely they will. Ive had some experience with acquiring multiple properties for a larger development and you never show your hand until you have secured all properties. These homeowners have seen what he is doing with CC, have seen some of the inflated prices he has paid for nearby properties and will hold out until they are paid a very large sum of money. Buying these homes will take several more years and millions of more dollars.

Well, if the cheaspeake campus gives us any insight, they will just start developing around those houses, and squeeze those people to the point that they will eventually sell.

Take a look at the county assessor, chesapeake owns a large number of the homes in question.

betts
01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Coming to a location near us soon! I'm sworn to secrecy on the precise location but we've all been relatively close in our speculation. Hooray!

Dustin
01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Is this a womens clothing store?

foodiefan
01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
:dizzy:Yea!! Any word on when an announcement will be made??