View Full Version : Dog boarding / kennel?

USAF
11-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Being Air Force, I've experienced other states that have significantly cheaper kennel rates for a dog at about $10/night. Here in the OKC metro, I've called about 15 places and most charge just under $30/night. I found one place in Edmond that's a hair under $20. Anyone have any recommendations of BUDGET kennels?

BBatesokc
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I've found after much searching in the past that 'Budget Kennels' equate to sticking your beloved pet into a crate and leaving them there to become stressed by 100 other barking dogs. I've given up and simply pay a relative, friend or neighbor to keep my dogs while we are gone ~ or take them with us.

MustangGT
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I have used and love Yukon Hills Animal Shelter in Yukon. It is just over $30 a night but the amenities are worth it in my opinion.

http://www.yukonhillsah.com/index.pml

okclee
11-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Call some of the veterinarians, I think I paid $8 a night to my vet. That was a couple of years ago though.

USAF
11-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Call some of the veterinarians, I think I paid $8 a night to my vet. That was a couple of years ago though.

What was the name of the vet? I did call a few and wasn't getting too far.

JayhawkTransplant
11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Heck, I'll dog sit for you for $15 a day! Does your dog like other dogs?

bluedogok
11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I used Neel on North MacArthur as I was traveling quite a bit on 5:50 am flights and they were open 24 hours so there was always staff on location and I could pick up or drop off at anytime.

tburn
11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Neel vet is decent for boarding, they do individual or group play, they have outdoor kennels but most of the dogs I saw were inside, in a cate, in the dark but at least didn't seem stressed.

I use Country Kennel - they are north of Edmond, near Guthrie.
They charge about $30 for overnight stay. Have large indoor/outdoor runs for the dogs, no group play (indiv play time as requested). The place is clean, the owners live on the acreage, friendly staff.
340-4454.

okclee
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM
What was the name of the vet? I did call a few and wasn't getting too far.

It has been awhile, Try either Schrag animal clinic or Boyer veterinarians, both are south okc.

USAF
11-11-2010, 03:19 PM
It has been awhile, Try either Schrag animal clinic or Boyer veterinarians, both are south okc.

Thanks. 1st is $23, 2nd is $16.

PennyQuilts
01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Any other boarding kennels that someone might recommend? I don't care about the cost, frankly. I have never boarded my girls but will have to be out of town quite a bit off and on over the next few months and there "may" come a time when husband has to be gone, too. I am completely stressed over the possiblity.

BBatesokc
01-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Any other boarding kennels that someone might recommend? I don't care about the cost, frankly. I have never boarded my girls but will have to be out of town quite a bit off and on over the next few months and there "may" come a time when husband has to be gone, too. I am completely stressed over the possiblity.

Ever consider a dog sitter? We were never happy with kennels. When a relative isn't available we just have a dog sitter stop in a couple of times a day. We just use a trusted neighbor's college daughter or a retired neighbor. We give them $30/day to come in, in the morning and let them out and play a bit and then at least once more. The dogs seem much less stressed.

PennyQuilts
01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Ever consider a dog sitter? We were never happy with kennels. When a relative isn't available we just have a dog sitter stop in a couple of times a day. We just use a trusted neighbor's college daughter or a retired neighbor. We give them $30/day to come in, in the morning and let them out and play a bit and then at least once more. The dogs seem much less stressed.

I am considering that. It would certainly be my preference. I am more stressed at them being boarded than they might be! (I don't really believe that).

I live in a semi rural area, however, which makes for quite a drive and I'd need someone to let them out several times a day. A full time dog sitter for the duration would be much better but if we have an overlap in being gone, we won't have more than a couple of hours lead time, at best (husband is an accident investigator and when launched, he has to go).

dismayed
01-16-2011, 11:23 AM

If you're not worried about cost then I'd say Camp Bow Wow. It's basically a retreat for dogs, plus they give you a website and you can watch your dog via webcams 24/7.

http://www.campbowwowusa.com/

BBatesokc
01-16-2011, 01:08 PM
If you're not worried about cost then I'd say Camp Bow Wow. It's basically a retreat for dogs, plus they give you a website and you can watch your dog via webcams 24/7.

http://www.campbowwowusa.com/

We tried Camp Bow Wow once (with a Groupon). They dress it up nice (for the humans), but in the end it still had all the negatives of putting your dogs in any reputable kennel - their routine is messed up, they are confined, and they are surrounded 24/7 by tons of barking dogs. Sure they are not like sub-par kennels that just stuff your pet into a crate and leave them there, but I'd never even consider one of those place anyway.