View Full Version : Tithing- is it necessary?

Patrick
03-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Here's a great topic to keep the week going. Is tithing necessary, and if so, how much?

Rev. Bob
03-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Deuteronomy 14:22
Make an offering of ten percent, a tithe, of all the produce which grows in your fields year after year.

Deuteronomy 14:25
exchange your tithe for money and take the money to the place GOD, your God, has chosen to be worshiped.

Malachi 3:10
Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don't open up heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams.

Plus, remember how God blessed the lady who gave all she had, and saw her money as more meaningful than the rich Pharisees who gave to be seen by men.

I don't think it's how much you give that matters. It's your heart that matters when you give.

10% isn't set in stone in the Bible, but it's a good starting point.

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 09:11 AM
The 10% number was created by the old Catholic Church. As I recall, wasn't it one of the 99 or so things that Martin Luther had issues with? They don't do the tithing thing anymore. One of the Catholic Churches I used to attend actually hired professional fund raisers. At one point, they sent a statement to my parents saying that we were being "encouraged" to donate $15,000 for a gym or something. That didn't really translate to even 10%, but they laughed at it anyhow. I think they gave $75/week which is respectable in my opinion.

It's really funny the things that we pick and choose from the Bible -- or at least the things our clergymen pick and choose. When we talk about the Old Testament, many times, they will tell you that Jesus' coming negates the Old Testament. But when it comes to tithing, it's God's law, and you will be struck down if you do not obey.

I tend to believe that these are things that were snuck in when the Bible was revised oh so many times.

Do I think it's a good thing to give some money to a church? Depends on the Church.

(sing/preach)

Why preacher got to have a diamond ring?!

-- Don't ask no questions....

Why preacher got to drive a nice car!?

--Don't ask no questions... (Coming to America)

Seriously though, if the Church does things that really help out the community, and truly does its best to be a positive influence for people (and the clergy don't live like royalty), then I say it's as worthy a cause as any other, but don't think you can "Buy a stairway to heaven" as Led Zepplin put it :D

mranderson
03-09-2005, 09:25 AM
In a word... No.

I feel that you do not have to give to a church to "tyhe." There are several worthy organizations that need the money.

My choices are St. Judes Medical Center in Memphis, and Multiple Schilorsis. They do so much, they deserve it.

Plus, not everyone can afford 10%. I am an example. I give what I can. Danny Thomas always understood if I could not give more.

Keith
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Here's a great topic to keep the week going. Is tithing necessary, and if so, how much?

For me, tithing is a necessity. Plus, it is taught in the Bible." Deuteronomy 14:22
Make an offering of ten percent, a tithe, of all the produce which grows in your fields year after year."

The first check I write is to my church, and not only is it the ten percent of my income, it is off the gross, not the net. Yes, I have written some checks to the church that I knew I would probably need later, however, God has blessed me with an excellent job, great health, a wonderful family, a wonderful church, and eternal life. To me, it is the least I can do.

Yes, it is difficult sometimes, especially if my check is small, however, God has always seen me through. He has always provided all of my needs. Not only has he provided my needs, he has also blessed me so much, that I also give to other organizations.

workman45
03-10-2005, 09:00 AM
10% of the gross, not net. Like others, at times it can be inconvient, but the lord has once again proved his word true and blessed me for it.

renffahcs
04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
My wife and I have given 10% on the gross for 9 years. The net/gross debate is always and interesting thing. A man once asked me if I wanted God's blessing on the net or the gross. Kind of silly but I think true.

Quote by Rev Bob, actually the Bible. LOL
Malachi 3:10
Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don't open up heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams.

The only place in the Bible that I know of where God says you can test him. Anyone who does not do this go ahead and test him. I dare you!! If you do you will know and trust him in a way like never before. Kind of reminds me of the guy with the battery on his shoulder who dares you to knock it off. Sorry this may be a bad example but it is what came to mind.

Shaggy
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
10% of the gross, not net. Like others, at times it can be inconvient, but the lord has once again proved his word true and blessed me for it.
I agree. 10% of the gross. I definitely don't want to be the one robbing God, and missing all of the blessings.

Patrick
04-13-2005, 12:38 AM
I don't think peopel should give to expect something in return, but I think it's amazing to see how God blesses those who give faithfully to him. Our church just completed a new Gym and we're in the process of paying it off. A couple in our Sunday School class pledged a certain amount of money for this year's campaign (starting last month). Just last week, the wife was given a raise equaling the amount of the money she had pledged for the year. Sometimes I think God has a sense of humor too! I suppose that could be a whole other debate though.

WTx
04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Although I understand what Patrick is saying I do think we can expect blessings when we tithe. After all Mal 3:10 promises those blessings. I think where people make the mistake is expecting monetary blessing where it never promises this. Although the blessing can be monetary as in Patrick's wife's situation God has so much more to bless with than just money.

Midtowner
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I tithe nothing, yet continue to have it made in the shade.

Causation does not equal correlation. Also, do you folks actually accept the Bible as literal on the whole? Do you not see that the church throughout the years has had a vested interest in people "tithing" and it only really became popular when the Roman church basically controlled Europe during the Dark Ages?

I've posted some interesting info on the history of tithing, and the history of those particular passages. I'll go find it later.

Keith
04-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I tithe nothing, yet continue to have it made in the shade.

Causation does not equal correlation. Also, do you folks actually accept the Bible as literal on the whole? Do you not see that the church throughout the years has had a vested interest in people "tithing" and it only really became popular when the Roman church basically controlled Europe during the Dark Ages?

I've posted some interesting info on the history of tithing, and the history of those particular passages. I'll go find it later.
You may have it made in the shade now, and you may be able to brag about it...but one of these days.......

No need to post a bunch of " history" on tithing, because I believe tithers have already made up their minds not to rob God. If you don't believe in it, that's fine...but we don't need for you to dissect a bunch of scriptures for us.

Midtowner
04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
You may have it made in the shade now, and you may be able to brag about it...but one of these days.......

What... I'll finish law school and make $200/hr? I should be okay without tithing. The church money bogeyman isn't going to be hunting me down.

No need to post a bunch of " history" on tithing, because I believe tithers have already made up their minds not to rob God. If you don't believe in it, that's fine...but we don't need for you to dissect a bunch of scriptures for us.

Hmm.. I thought this was a discussion on whether tithing was necessary? I didn't know we were approaching it from the perspective that the necessity to tithe had already been proven. Didn't get that memo, my bad.

I'll bring you that nasty 'ol history and fact stuff later though. Why are fundamentalists so threatened by that?

Patrick
04-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Just remember.....the money you invest in lives through tithing reaps eternal rewards which you can take to heaven with you. That $200 an hour can't be taken to heaven or hell with you. I don't see people with ryder trucks on their back with all of their material posessions when they pass on.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Just remember.....the money you invest in lives through tithing reaps eternal rewards which you can take to heaven with you. That $200 an hour can't be taken to heaven or hell with you. I don't see people with ryder trucks on their back with all of their material posessions when they pass on.

Yeah, but someone has to feed the families of mercedes dealership owners.

It's a tough thing to aspire to ;)

But as far as tithing goes, I am not superstitious, and I especially am not superstitious about self-serving interpretations of certain religious denominations.

FYI: The Catholic Church does not require "tithing" per se. It does ask that you help support the activities of the church through financial means, but asks you to do it more because you shouldn't expect to get something (church experience) for nothing. To me that works better than the threat of going to hell.

Here's an interesting survey/study done on tithing/giving to the Church:

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=52

Patrick
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, but someone has to feed the families of mercedes dealership owners.

It's a tough thing to aspire to ;)

But as far as tithing goes, I am not superstitious, and I especially am not superstitious about self-serving interpretations of certain religious denominations.

FYI: The Catholic Church does not require "tithing" per se. It does ask that you help support the activities of the church through financial means, but asks you to do it more because you shouldn't expect to get something (church experience) for nothing. To me that works better than the threat of going to hell.

Here's an interesting survey/study done on tithing/giving to the Church:

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=52

I don't really think superstition has anything to do with it, althoug some will give thinking they're getting something back. Instead, I think it's more God blessing you for being faithful with your giving.

In regards to owners of Mercede's dealerships, as you always say, they can go back to school and learn another skill! :)

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't really think superstition has anything to do with it, althoug some will give thinking they're getting something back. Instead, I think it's more God blessing you for being faithful with your giving.

In regards to owners of Mercede's dealerships, as you always say, they can go back to school and learn another skill! :)

"God blessing you for being faithful with your giving" = superstition.

From dictionary.com:

su·per·sti·tion Audio pronunciation of "superstition" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-stshn)
n.

1. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.
1. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
2. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.
3. Idolatry.

Patrick
04-14-2005, 10:26 AM
To say that my religious beliefs are irrational or that my faith is based on ignorance is a little far-fetched.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
To say that my religious beliefs are irrational or that my faith is based on ignorance is a little far-fetched.

All faith is irrational at some point. Otherwise, it would be called something besides faith.

Maybe not ignorance of the way nature works as one of the subheadings of the definition suggests, but maybe the refusal to acknowledge?

Patrick
04-15-2005, 12:27 AM
ir·ra·tion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-rsh-nl)
adj.

Not endowed with reason.
Affected by loss of usual or normal mental clarity; incoherent, as from shock.
Marked by a lack of accord with reason or sound judgment: an irrational dislike.

-----------
There's a lot of reason backing up my beliefs. And my mental larity is sharp on this. So, it doesn't fulfill the definition.

Midtowner
04-15-2005, 06:19 AM
ir·ra·tion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-rsh-nl)
adj.

Not endowed with reason.
Affected by loss of usual or normal mental clarity; incoherent, as from shock.
Marked by a lack of accord with reason or sound judgment: an irrational dislike.

-----------
There's a lot of reason backing up my beliefs. And my mental larity is sharp on this. So, it doesn't fulfill the definition.

Okay, let's examine your line of logical reasoning --

If tithing is required by religion, the Bible is correct, if the Bible is correct, it must be in completely unmolested form over sometimes a 5,000 year period.

A caveat to that line of reasoning -- we have historical data that shows otherwise. You also must believe that the Bible -- a book was written essentially by a divine being -- that in itself is irrational.

But that's okay! That's why it's called faith. If it weren't faith, religion would be called "history".