View Full Version : New video of Oklahoma City: "Underground" professional videographer

CaseyCornett
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
While many might not consider Mike Jones as an "underground" videographer, the folks on this site might.
Considering most of the videos shown on OKCTalk are from the Chamber and have an "Ackerman" feel, Mike offers us a 1:12 video of "the rest" of OKC that you won't find on a Chamber video.
Mike Jones is located in the Plaza District and you'll probably notice that this video is probably geared towards a younger crowd but I thought it would be a good addition for the readers of this site to see it. Kudos to you, Mike.

http://www.vimeo.com/16357705

metro
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Great video

USG'60
11-04-2010, 03:28 PM
It quit at 31 seconds for me. Is it me or is it Memorex, er .... I mean the system?

krisb
11-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't really get the repetitive British voice in an OKC reel. It's one of those artsy techniques that makes people feel cool, but has no organic connection to the context of the film.

ouguy23
11-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Very cool video!

Architect2010
11-05-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't really get the repetitive British voice in an OKC reel. It's one of those artsy techniques that makes people feel cool, but has no organic connection to the context of the film.

It's a song. A good, hip one at that. I have it on my Ipod. I thought it reinforced this really edgy video and its portrayal of an increasingly vibrant city.

RadioOKC
11-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Well done!

Chris
http://www.radiookc.com

Doug Loudenback
11-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Very good video but quite an un-uplifting audio, imo. I trust that the younger audience isn't measured by the singular quality of "I like to play." Grade schoolers, sure, but hopefully the adult set that enjoys the Plaza District, Oklahoma River, etc., have just a bit more in their make-up than that. Enjoyed it just the same. Thanks for posting, Casey.

metro
11-05-2010, 08:50 AM
It's a song. A good, hip one at that. I have it on my Ipod. I thought it reinforced this really edgy video and its portrayal of an increasingly vibrant city.

Agreed, definitely geared towards us younger creative class 35 and under. Great choice of music IMO.

Doug Loudenback
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok. I succomb. "I like to play," (although some times with "play play" instead of just "play) said 13 times with a pair of "I play all day long in my room" observations being made are great lyrics, deserving of a Grammy, and is perhaps a good mantra for grade school children. But, for adults (since the implication is that playing is all that there is)?

metro
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
And Doug, keep in mind this guy probably made the video on his Mac at probably zero cost. Compare it to the Chambers expensive videos and I think it compares well and probably would do a better job of recruiting the creative class than the Chambers videos (although I like those too). They need to recruit this guy to shoot the next OKC :30 second spot and buy some airtime in California.

Architect2010
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok. I succomb. "I like to play," (although some times with "play play" instead of just "play) said 13 times with a pair of "I play all day long in my room" observations being made are great lyrics, deserving of a Grammy, and is perhaps a good mantra for grade school children. But, for adults (since the implication is that playing is all that there is)?

Yes. You should hear some of the most popular songs out there right now. Look up "Memories" by David Guetta ft. Kid Cudi, "I Like That" by Static Revengerr, or "Like a G6" by Far East Movement. Doug, you're out of sync honestly; a song need not be deep to be enjoyed or to be hip. Regardless, it's just the background song to a video. I don't think it's so big of a deal.

Doug Loudenback
11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes. You should hear some of the most popular songs out there right now. Look up "Memories" by David Guetta ft. Kid Cudi, "I Like That" by Static Revengerr, or "Like a G6" by Far East Movement. Doug, you're out of sync honestly; a song need not be deep to be enjoyed or to be hip. Regardless, it's just the background song to a video. I don't think it's so big of a deal.
Not sure I actually know what "hip" means unless it is whatever is "in" with a particular crowd from time to time. As for a song's lyrics not being deep not to be enjoyed, I do understand that. But, at least, in "Wild Thing" by the Trogs (which I like but would hardly want it to be background music for an Okc video ... Cleveland is fine, though) there was at least a little variety even if not much.

I'm probably out of sync, like you said, although I've come around to liking a good bit of rap music. Now, Architect, go play play ...:dizzy: ... you move me.

ljbab728
11-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I liked most of the video but for some reason found the wedding and jewelry store portion to be a little out of place. Overall it was interesting though and wish it had been a little longer.

Larry OKC
11-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Where was the wedding at? Looked like mountains in the background? I guess I am missing something here as who is this intended for? For what purpose? I saw little in it to identify that it was OKC (unless you already know that a couple of the shots are in OKC). Most of it looked like it could have been stock footage and used in just about any city's video.

iMAX386
11-06-2010, 11:50 PM
This video wasn't intended to show off OKC per se. It's just a demo reel for video that Mike Jones has either shot or edited in the past year as a portfolio for his own professional purposes...that's why it includes the random jewelry store and SNU commercial stuff.

I know Mike. Kid's got talent. But he's not some weathered professional yet. Still college age.

metro
11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Doug, I agree I wish today's youth (not that I'm much older) is very shallow when it comes to lyrics. When songs like "Bling in my White T" can make you millions and that is pretty much the extent of the lyrics, what does that say about our society?

metro
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Where was the wedding at? Looked like mountains in the background? I guess I am missing something here as who is this intended for? For what purpose? I saw little in it to identify that it was OKC (unless you already know that a couple of the shots are in OKC). Most of it looked like it could have been stock footage and used in just about any city's video.

Majority of it was shot here, I'm guessing the mountains was in Lawton or elsewhere. Mike used to intern for me.

OKC plaza
11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
When I saw the video, I just thought the song was a "playful" way to reference his work. Any videographer spends a good deal of time "playing all day up in their room" with editing video.

Steve
11-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I love this video.

lasomeday
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
His Plaza District video is amazing! Definitely award winning. I hope he can do some for a few more districts. Just think what he could do for Western Ave if they hire him or a Deep Deuce video!

metro
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Majority of it was shot here, I'm guessing the mountains was in Lawton or elsewhere. Mike used to intern for me.

And to add to my earlier comment, the dude has talent, but he is very cocky and hard to work with. Hopefully he has changed as it has been 2-3 years since he interned for me if indeed this is the same Mike Jones which it appears to be. Don't think there are many Mike Jones videographers in OKC.

VoteMikeJones
11-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you everyone for the very kind comments (and the honest criticism).

Thought I'd answer a few questions. First of all - the song. Here's how I came up with the song. I needed something short, so I set my iTunes library by length and that was the first song (that was short) that I liked. No real deep meaning there.

As for the video, it is indeed just a reel. I only spent about an hour putting it together. Needed something quick to send to a potential client. So while it does feature a lot of OKC that's not the intention of the video. However I am working a project right now to do just that thing.

The mountains are the in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge - that was an engagement shoot I shot for one of the barista's at Cafe Evoke with an amazing photographer here in the city, Josh McCullock.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I really love this city and I can see this community feels the same. I look forward to starting to engage with all of you in the many interesting conversation you have.

- MJ

krisb
11-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Great work...I'm just sensitive to the shallow hipster vibe, which that song communicated to me. I'm more into the "friendly, approachable, soulful, warm, genuine" hipster vibe.