View Full Version : Is It Just Me - Or Do The Thunder Suck

Pages : [1] 2

Kerry
11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
They weren't real sharp in their first two games but managed wins. However, they have flat out sucked these last two games losing by 20+ to two teams that were winless. If I was in Vegas I would bet the farm on Portland to cover tomorrow night.

They are playing some awful awful awful basketball. I watched tonight game on the Clippers feed and even the Clippers announcers were laughing at how bad the Thunder are - the Clippers!

SkyWestOKC
11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
It's not just you.

I'm taking the Thunder flag off of my car, this is embarrassing. Some heads need to be rolling...

OKCJapan
11-04-2010, 05:05 AM
The question is whose head should be rolling?

I watched the game against the clippers. Durant and Westbrook are not playing well right now and the team is shooting poorly.

I is a good thing its early in the season.

TaoMaas
11-04-2010, 05:19 AM
The guys who ought to be elevating this team aren't getting the job done. I wonder if playing all summer took more out of Durant and Westbrook than we thought.

skyrick
11-04-2010, 05:27 AM
I thought DFW sports fans were fickle. OKC goes from giving the team a standing-O when they lost out in the playoffs to reviling them after a couple of losses. Way to support a team.

To paraphrase Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington, "That's how basketball go!"

Kerry
11-04-2010, 05:43 AM
I thought DFW sports fans were fickle. OKC goes from giving the team a standing-O when they lost out in the playoffs to reviling them after a couple of losses. Way to support a team.

Are you watching these games? They are playing really bad. They can't dribble, make lay-ups, tip the ball in, rebound, pass, inbound the ball, shoot a jumper, or play defense. The only think they have going for them is free throws (see first two wins). I am also getting tired of these circus shot layup attempts and 3 point shots without rebounders in place. If you are going to shoot sub 20% from 3pt range, you better make sure you have rebounders in place. I think Harden even had an airball from 3 feet away on a layup (it was hard to tell if it hit the bottom of the rim or not).

TaoMaas - I think you might be right about playing all summer then coming back to the NBA.

TaoMaas
11-04-2010, 07:14 AM

Hey, we're not abandoning them. We're just discussing what might be wrong. And something IS wrong if they're getting blownout by teams who were 0-4. Their defense is off this year and I think we might be feeling the loss of Ron Adams. This must just be my year for it, though, because I'm also a Dallas Cowboy fan and have been since the days of Eddie LeBaron. I still proudly support them, but that doesn't mean I have to love the season they're having. Same thing with the Thunder.

Lord Helmet
11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm not liking the lack of intensity on the defensive end. Too many wide open shots going uncontested.

Kerry is right...I watched the Clippers feed too...they couldn't believe how bade we were.

SkyWestOKC
11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
We gave them a standing ovation at the playoffs because they tried their damn best and hardest and gave it all they had. You can't ask for more. What we are seeing is not hard playing, concentration, effort, teamwork, nor motivation. We know we are better than that, and that's why I'm not cheering this performance like I did in the playoffs, even though we lost.

Thunder
11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Relax. This is a warm up phase.

OKCisOK4me
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
This is something that half the fanbase is gonna have to realize. The Thunder organization is not like the student athletes that make you proud to be a Sooner fan because they win championships while earning an education. This is a professional organization. They are young. They are stubborn. Whichever way that works for them, either against or for, I'm sure they'll overcome these losses. As a longtime OSU fan, I will weather the storm with them. We orange fans go through much more adversity than OU fans, therefore, we're able to handle it better. The support for our local pros needs to continue to be strong or the national media will take attention of it and dog Oklahoma City like never before...

ultimatesooner
11-04-2010, 11:30 AM
they will play better - we are only 4 games into an 82 game regular season. Durant isn't going to go 6 for 24 and 0 from 10 from 3 very often

Kerry
11-04-2010, 11:31 AM

It is the regular season, warm up phase ended a week ago. They better get their act together tonight or they are going to take it on then chin on national TV. There is a better chance the Thunder lose tonight by 30 than there is of them winning. At least we know they won't be tired on the second game of this back to back.

I'll still watch though. Maybe staying up until 1:30AM to see them lose is getting to me.

Lord Helmet
11-04-2010, 11:36 AM

When you're likely to be scrapping for a playoff spot at the end of the season, getting beat by the Clippers back in early November can come back to bite you.

Lord Helmet
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
they will play better - we are only 4 games into an 82 game regular season. Durant isn't going to go 6 for 24 and 0 from 10 from 3 very often

This much is true. However, If you're going to get into the playoffs cleanly (ie not back your way in or have to win your last 7 games etc), you're going to have to be able to beat a team like the Clippers without a good night from Durant. You can do that with good consistent defense, which we have yet to see other than the last 8 minutes of the first game of the season

Mac87
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I think it's a combination of an extremely young team, no production from the center position, and absolutely zero production from your SG. This is basically the same team that you had last year, except this time, they aren't going to "sneak up" on anyone. The Thunder will win a lot of games with Durant alone, but they won't win a championship until they have a center that can defend the big men in the West.

Kerry
11-04-2010, 01:23 PM
When you're likely to be scrapping for a playoff spot at the end of the season, getting beat by the Clippers back in early November can come back to bite you.

Thunder 2-0 vs East, 0-2 vs the West.

skyrick
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Are you watching these games? They are playing really bad.

No, I'm not an NBA fan. But I did attend all 3 World Series games 4 miles from my house at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. All season long they played small ball: base hits, steals, capitalizing on any mistake or lack of attention from the other team. This took them to the playoffs. where they continued to play the same style against the Tampa Rays and NY Stinkees, with great success. All of a sudden, during the World Series, they relapsed into their old habits from the early 2000s; i.e. swinging for the fences on the first or second pitches. This led to a disappointing, heart breaking 4-1 loss in the WS.

Do you know what happened yesterday? 10,000+ fans showed up at the Ballpark to thank the Rangers' players and management for the greatest season ever.

The Thunder are in their, what, 3rd year? Have some patience. The season is 82 games long, there are going to be some crappy games. Either be a fan or jump off the bandwagon until they start winning.

Watson410
11-04-2010, 06:48 PM
The Thunder are in their, what, 3rd year? Have some patience. The season is 82 games long, there are going to be some crappy games. Either be a fan or jump off the bandwagon until they start winning.

Couldn't agree more!! There's still 78 games left. Can anyone tell me what our record was after our first 5 games last season??? 2-3!!! I would say we ended up alright last season. Right now for whatever reason they're not clicking, they'll get it together... It's the exact same team we had last year. It's waaaaay to early to panic and say we SUCK! A team that wins 50+ games does not suck. This season will most likely not be as great as last season because we WILL have injuries, which will sometimes mean L's instead of W's. Either way this team needs our support rather they end up 80-2 or 2-80. They are the OKC Thunder, not the Seattle Supersonics, not the Las Vegas Thunder, not the Kansas City Thunder... They're the OKLAHOMA CITY Thunder!

HOT ROD
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
It is the regular season, warm up phase ended a week ago. They better get their act together tonight or they are going to take it on then chin on national TV. There is a better chance the Thunder lose tonight by 30 than there is of them winning. At least we know they won't be tired on the second game of this back to back.

I'll still watch though. Maybe staying up until 1:30AM to see them lose is getting to me.

Kerry, I think YOU are one of those fickle fans. I dont have any concern about the team, it is only 4 games into the season and NOBODY predicted OKC to win every game this year. That said, it is sad when the Clippers pound the Thunder, but Im sure we'll get it together.

Remember, this team that won 50 last year and almost pushed over the Lakers - won just 23 games the year before. .... SAME TEAM!!!

Jeez, give them a break - constructive criticism is ok, but bailing on your team due to losses? ??? Makes me question if you were ever a fan to begin with, or just a bandwagoner. No offense.

Kerry
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not bailing on the team. I have watch every second of every game so far. They started out pretty good at Portland by they ended the first half on the short end of a 20 to 8 run while letting Portland shoot 75% in the second quarter. We'll see how they respond in the second half.

Dustin
11-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I watched yesterday and the game before yesterday and I had to change the channel many times because I couldn't take it.. KD played HORRIBLY. I felt bad for the guy..

ljbab728
11-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm not bailing on the team. I have watch every second of every game so far. They started out pretty good at Portland by they ended the first half on the short end of a 20 to 8 run while letting Portland shoot 75% in the second quarter. We'll see how they respond in the second half.

Well, we just won a road game against a very good Portland team. Maybe the year isn't lost after 5 games afterall. Relax people. It's a long season. We'll have ups and downs. I just hope it's another entertaining year.

dmoor82
11-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Russel Westbrook is a BEAST!

Watson410
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Russel Westbrook is a BEAST!

A beast no doubt!! I love his hustle.

Kerry
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
They needed that. They still weren't crisp but they got the W. I was getting a little concerned when the they went down by 13 in the 3rd.

Watson410
11-04-2010, 11:46 PM
HUGE WIN!! Coming back from 13 down to win it in overtime!!...... This year will be much better than last year, were 3-2 after 5 games instead of 2-3!! (sarcasm)

Kerry
11-04-2010, 11:49 PM
LOL Charles Barkley: Who would you rather spend the night with Charlie Sheen or Randy Quaid?

I pick Randy Quaid. I am afraid Sheen would try to have sex with me.

ljbab728
11-04-2010, 11:53 PM
LOL Charles Barkley: Who would you rather spend the night with Charlie Sheen or Randy Quaid?

But Randy Quaid would be afraid you were trying to kill him. LOL

Laramie
11-05-2010, 12:19 AM

Charles Barkley look as though he sat on a bone!

The Thunder closed that hole tonight with some tight stitches!

Kerry, keep the faith, the season is early!

dmoor82
11-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Sonics' protesters outside The Rose last night in Portland and looks like there was a few green jerseys in The crowd as well!How much longer are they gonna keep it up?

TaoMaas
11-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Remember, this team that won 50 last year and almost pushed over the Lakers - won just 23 games the year before. .... SAME TEAM!!!

This is kinda what I told my wife when we were discussing this..."The good news is that this is the same team as last year. The bad news is that it's also the same team as 2 years ago." LOL I heard the announcers talking about whether or not playing in the World Championships took the edge off of Westbrook and Durant. I had said almost the same thing yesterday. Then I remembered that Nenad had played all summer, too! And let's not forget that Green played about half the summer before getting cut. No other teams had that many of their starters so involved in off-season play. No wonder we're a little flat out of the starting gate.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Nice win. Better defensive effort. That's really all I ask is that they have defensive intensity in every game. That's what got us in the playoffs last season.

TaoMaas
11-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Getting Nick Collison back will help a bunch. I lost track of how many times the announcers talked about the Thunder needing someone who will "do the dirty work". That's Nick's forte! He's the guy who will stand in there and take the charge or sacrifice his body for a loose ball. Perhaps what we've seen so far this year is just an acknowledgement of what we already knew...that the Thunder are more than just KD and Russ...they're a team. In order to be successful, we need everybody to chip in and contribute.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I'll agree with that. When you look around the league there are a lot of teams that don't seem to like playing together the way the Thunder do.

kevinpate
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
back to the original Q ... it's just you
:tiphat:

Kerry
11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
back to the original Q ... it's just you
:tiphat:

I'm glad it was just me. It is hard enough staying up till 1:30AM, it is even harder when they lose.

Laramie
11-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm glad it was just me. It is hard enough staying up till 1:30AM, it is even harder when they lose.

I continue to admire the great passion and love you and HotRod have for Oklahoma City. As true 'okies' who relocated to Tampa-St. Petersburg and Seattle areas, the admiration you guys possess for Oklahoma City has never faded!

Remember when we all meet at the old downtown library (rail transit meeting) quite some years ago; meeting you (Kerry), Patrick, HotRod, Rob Anderson and others was very encouraging to know that many felt the same passion for progress and pride which I possess about our beloved Oklahoma City!

Kerry
11-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Laramie - I waited a long time for OKC to get a major league team. Staying up till 1:30AM watching them is an honor. My first forya into on-line message boards was on the Oregon FanZone when the Portland Forest Dragons were relocating to OKC. That is where I first started chatting with Rob Anderson and Larry D Fry. That was back in 1999.

Do you remember the web site I made for OCART (Oklahoma City Area Rail Transit). Right after we picked the name someone said we should have called it GOCART (Greater Oklahoma City Area Rail Transit). I always liked the name GOCART. Who would have thought that little effort by a couple of nobodys would have led to the Modern Street Car project. Thank goodness people with more ability picked up the torch. If I remember correctly there was even a story in the Oklahoman that mentioned us way back in the day.

HOT ROD
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Kerry, I came up with GoCart - and together with Patrick, we coined the phrase - Continue the Renaissance, back in the old days when NewsOk had a forum. Where is Rob/Mr Anderson and Larry, and Patrick (although I think he graduated med school or something???). Also Karried (even though she was recent).

haha, we could still use GoCart with the commuter rail name and i really wish the city would run with Renaissance City and Continue the Renaissance. They sort of did with Maps 3 but haven't really adopted it seriously.

I too, and elated and very surprised at how much OKC's online community has taken off. I remember when it was mostly just us expats and a few okies in OKC looking for respect or SOMEBODY out there who could help with their cause. I was probably the MOST VOCAL or supportive person in the NW for OKC in relation to the Sonics and giving information about the city. It really isn't that much different from Seattle other than scenery, history, and industry. Many were shocked and surprised to find out OKC was an industry leader in some sectors and even had skyscrapers. haha Then, later, I noticed other expats from OKC begin to speak up - negatively at first, but over time - positive things started coming. Today, even up here - there is a bit of respect for OKC. Seattleites know OKC deserved an NBA team, it's just some fans are sad/upset it was the Sonics and should have been the Hornets, which I wholeheartedly agree. But I also agree that this state and city did NOTHING to help the Sonics attract the wealth of Seattle to remain profitable or even break even. I remember, when Clay Bennett first bought the team - I had told people right away, uh o - you do realize that was the end of the Sonics in Seattle. People said, no way he would leave the LARGE market of Seattle for pudunk OKC or elsewhere. And the NBA would never allow it. I also remember, the THEN mayor of Seattle - shucking at Clay who actually wanted to meet with him when he first bought the team and try to get Key Arena reworked. The mayor said NO, would not meet with Bennett, and that Bennett needed to honor the lease no matter what. AFTER That is when the NBA said KeyArena wasn't viable anymore and Clay started thinking out of the box. When the city passed laws preventing a Key upgrade AND the state balked, that was it and I knew it. all along as I had said from the beginning.

I was happy for OKC, all along and knew it would be successful. I knew what an NBA team would do for OKC - FINALLY, you all have something to be proud of that is big league, OKC is mentioned alongside Chicago, NY, and LA and for positive things, not just Tornado's, the bombing, or the Dust Bowl. Things have changed for the better for OKC, and you could argue that things REALLY started improving when OKC hosted the Hornets.

Man, I can't believe it is the end of 2010 - and look at where OKC is and what it has accomplished. Most of all - the people of OKC have the same pride in their city that I and other expats knew the city potentially had all along. It has been a great ride, and I am still excited and interested in seeing the Renaissance taken to the next level.

Oklahoma City, The Renaissance City. Continue the Renaissance!

Laramie
11-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Laramie - I waited a long time for OKC to get a major league team. Staying up till 1:30AM watching them is an honor. My first forya into on-line message boards was on the Oregon FanZone when the Portland Forest Dragons were relocating to OKC. That is where I first started chatting with Rob Anderson and Larry D Fry. That was back in 1999.

Do you remember the web site I made for OCART (Oklahoma City Area Rail Transit). Right after we picked the name someone said we should have called it GOCART (Greater Oklahoma City Area Rail Transit). I always liked the name GOCART. Who would have thought that little effort by a couple of nobodys would have led to the Modern Street Car project. Thank goodness people with more ability picked up the torch. If I remember correctly there was even a story in the Oklahoman that mentioned us way back in the day.

Glad to hear that you guys (Kerry, HotRod) haven't lost your memories: I am Larry D. Fry, name given at birth (Laramie Dee) and back to my birthname; now you know the rest of the story!

The Oregonian, our first battle with the Portland fans when we got our first taste of
wanna-be major league sports, the Portland Forest Dragons relocated (aka: Oklahoma City Wranglers). They were gone just as the Ford Center was built and ready to open. The same thing happened when we opened the Myriad in 1973; no hockey! I remember watching that first game played there (Tulsa Ice Oilers vs. Dallas Blackhawks) and the fans were split 50/50.

GOCART(?); yes, there we were a bunch of entergized bunny rabbits--going in all directions. We didn't know what to do; however, we knew something had to be done and we gave it our best shot! Oh, it was the tought that counted.

Remember Rob Anderson, he was in attendance and later denied his identity because he had an on-line argument with someone there who was looking for him.

Patrick put medical school on hold and he was suppose to get back in 2005. I hope he finished his M.D. and residency. I dropped our of my Ph.D in Education program at OU and finished raising my children Mister Mom (one girl and two boys) and took early retirement in 2002.

True, we are in the major leagues now and there we hope to stay. Get some good rest Kerry and keep the faith. Enjoy reading the postings by you and HotRod.

I occasionally see the guy (Brian) who owned Oklahoma's Own forum we all use to frequent. He was my instructor at Cimarron Bartending School (OKC). He frequents this forum.

There is a wealth of talent here in Oklahoma City and it's nice to return home from Funkytown (Ft.Worth). I travel a lot between here, Fort Worth and Jones Prairie, Texas (farm) and I see a lot of Texas and Oklahoma.

Continue the Renaissance!

dcsooner
11-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Kerry, I came up with GoCart - and together with Patrick, we coined the phrase - Continue the Renaissance, back in the old days when NewsOk had a forum. Where is Rob/Mr Anderson and Larry, and Patrick (although I think he graduated med school or something???). Also Karried (even though she was recent).

haha, we could still use GoCart with the commuter rail name and i really wish the city would run with Renaissance City and Continue the Renaissance. They sort of did with Maps 3 but haven't really adopted it seriously.

I too, and elated and very surprised at how much OKC's online community has taken off. I remember when it was mostly just us expats and a few okies in OKC looking for respect or SOMEBODY out there who could help with their cause. I was probably the MOST VOCAL or supportive person in the NW for OKC in relation to the Sonics and giving information about the city. It really isn't that much different from Seattle other than scenery, history, and industry. Many were shocked and surprised to find out OKC was an industry leader in some sectors and even had skyscrapers. haha Then, later, I noticed other expats from OKC begin to speak up - negatively at first, but over time - positive things started coming. Today, even up here - there is a bit of respect for OKC. Seattleites know OKC deserved an NBA team, it's just some fans are sad/upset it was the Sonics and should have been the Hornets, which I wholeheartedly agree. But I also agree that this state and city did NOTHING to help the Sonics attract the wealth of Seattle to remain profitable or even break even. I remember, when Clay Bennett first bought the team - I had told people right away, uh o - you do realize that was the end of the Sonics in Seattle. People said, no way he would leave the LARGE market of Seattle for pudunk OKC or elsewhere. And the NBA would never allow it. I also remember, the THEN mayor of Seattle - shucking at Clay who actually wanted to meet with him when he first bought the team and try to get Key Arena reworked. The mayor said NO, would not meet with Bennett, and that Bennett needed to honor the lease no matter what. AFTER That is when the NBA said KeyArena wasn't viable anymore and Clay started thinking out of the box. When the city passed laws preventing a Key upgrade AND the state balked, that was it and I knew it. all along as I had said from the beginning.

I was happy for OKC, all along and knew it would be successful. I knew what an NBA team would do for OKC - FINALLY, you all have something to be proud of that is big league, OKC is mentioned alongside Chicago, NY, and LA and for positive things, not just Tornado's, the bombing, or the Dust Bowl. Things have changed for the better for OKC, and you could argue that things REALLY started improving when OKC hosted the Hornets.

Man, I can't believe it is the end of 2010 - and look at where OKC is and what it has accomplished. Most of all - the people of OKC have the same pride in their city that I and other expats knew the city potentially had all along. It has been a great ride, and I am still excited and interested in seeing the Renaissance taken to the next level.

Oklahoma City, The Renaissance City. Continue the Renaissance!

Wah :kicking:I wanna be counted in as one of those expats (although I go back about 3-4 time a year) that loves Oklahoma, Oklahoma City and the Thunder). As an OU grad, I of course always loved and followed OU football (that's all we had) but I can honestly say, My attention has been transferred to the Thunder. NBA league pass has replaced NCAA gameplan and I am thrilled with our team and the progress being made in the city.

TaoMaas
11-08-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm beginning to think that this will be a season that lands somewhere between 2 years ago and last year. Good...but not great. It's still WAY too early to call, but the thing that seems apparent is that nobody (even the two teams that played for the NBA championship last year) consider the Thunder a 'given' anymore. Still...I couldn't help but wonder what kind of difference it would have made for us if we'd had Nick Collison and Uncle Jeff in the line-up last night. But then...what team doesn't have to play with some members hurt?

Kerry
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
One thing I am noticing is the amount of critism the Thunder is picking up. The guys from Boston last night were pretty hard on Durant. They even said that he was a ball-hog last year and surmised the Thunder would have been better of if he had scored less points per game and allowed the other players to be more involved. Then to add insult to injury they said the Thunder lucked out and made the playoffs and were easily dispatched by the Lakers.

So we have 6 games under our belt; one quality win, two 1 point wins, and three loses where we had deficits of over 20 points in the second half. BTW - what is the deal with all of Durant's turnovers?

OKCisOK4me
11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
One thing I am noticing is the amount of critism the Thunder is picking up. The guys from Boston last night were pretty hard on Durant. They even said that he was a ball-hog last year and surmised the Thunder would have been better of if he had scored less points per game and allowed the other players to be more involved. Then to add insult to injury they said the Thunder lucked out and made the playoffs and were easily dispatched by the Lakers.

So we have 6 games under our belt; one quality win, two 1 point wins, and three loses where we had deficits of over 20 points in the second half. BTW - what is the deal with all of Durant's turnovers?

During the postgame for the Trailblazers game they said that Durant was trying to be a better ball handler this year. It seems he still has a way to go. As for Durant being a ballhog, if he's there to score the points then I guess the other guys shouldn't feed it to him? Cause that's what they do, lol. Those guys could have said the same thing about any star player on any other team. Our guys just need to play with the same intensity as they did last year. Everyone knew who the Thunder were 75% of the way through the season last year so surely they didn't sneak up on anyone then, just as they don't now.

TaoMaas
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
The guys from Boston last night were pretty hard on Durant. They even said that he was a ball-hog last year and surmised the Thunder would have been better of if he had scored less points per game and allowed the other players to be more involved.
There's an element of truth to that. Not about KD being a ball-hog...about getting more of the other Thunder players involved. Don't forget that the Chicago Bulls had Michael Jordan for several years before they began winning big-time. One of the turning points was when Michael started doing exactly what the Celtics are talking about. He got more of the team involved (specifically Scottie Pippin), which in turn kept Chicago's opponents from focusing solely on Michael, which then gave Michael more freedom to operate. But it's also very easy to say, "Let someone else score more" when you've got Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Shaquille O'Neal, Rajon Rondo, Nate Robinson, Jermaine O'Neal, and Big Baby Davis on your team. lol Those guys have been around quite a while. The Thunder are still sorting things out.

Then to add insult to injury they said the Thunder lucked out and made the playoffs and were easily dispatched by the Lakers.

The Thunder didn't luck out last year. They worked their tails off. And somebody might want to ask Kobe and the Lakers how easily they were able to dispatch the Thunder. They might say it was harder than beating the Celtics. LOL Bunch o' whiners!

Easy180
11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Even though they squeaked out some wins they seem more like the 08 squad than last years unfortunately...not saying it will stay that way but 50 wins seems like a stretch at this point

Still sucks they cannot hit 3's....was hoping they would improve on those this year

Kerry
11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
It's not just the lack of making 3s either. The go long stretches without making any 2s. At one point against Boston they made only 3 of their last 18 shots. In fact, just as the announcer said that Durant turned it over.

HOT ROD
11-09-2010, 12:45 AM
I just think it is due to expectations - people saw in disbelief turned WOW at what the Thunder did to the Lakers in the playoffs; which arguably was the Lakers' most intense challenge in the entire NBA playoffs. OKC came one shot close to pushing the Lakers to 7 games - something NOBODY else came anywhere close to doing.

People saw that - and they saw OKC has what it takes to make it to the next level. The thing is, people are expecting us to MAKE the next level and BE the next great team already. When reality is setting in - this is still a young (and tired) team.

I think we will be fine, just as long as we hit 50 wins again - all will be well. No worries, KD and Russell are committed and genuinely care about their game and OKC. I totally agree, we need the veteran leadership and size from Collison on the floor.

Kerry
11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
I just think it is due to expectations - people saw in disbelief turned WOW at what the Thunder did to the Lakers in the playoffs; which arguably was the Lakers' most intense challenge in the entire NBA playoffs. OKC came one shot close to pushing the Lakers to 7 games - something NOBODY else came anywhere close to doing.

I'm not sure about your expectation comment. No one expected them to win every game and I didn't expect them to finish in the top 4 in the West. But I did expect them to score points and play defense. Why did I expect it? Because I just saw them do it last season. Every player on this team is playing worse than they were last season. I can't explain that and what I don't get it is all the sloppy play like bouncing the ball off your knee and hip, passes to phantom players, layups that hit the BOTTOM of the rim, 3 point air-balls, etc.

The team last year didn't hit their stride until Jan 9th. Over the next 2 months they went 22 - 8 and 5 of those loses were by 2 points or less. Here is hoping January arrives early.

TaoMaas
11-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm not sure about your expectation comment. No one expected them to win every game and I didn't expect them to finish in the top 4 in the West. But I did expect them to score points and play defense.

I agree with Kerry here. I didn't expect perfection, but I did expect "average or above". In some of these games, we've looked like this was our first time on a basketball court. I think it was on the "Daily Thunder" where one of the writers talked about counting the number of passes the Thunder were making prior to taking a shot vs the number of passes their opponent was making. I tried that in the Celtic game. Sometimes the Celtics were making as many as 8 passes before shooting. By way of comparison, there were many times where the Thunder didn't even make one pass....whoever brought the ball down the court pulled up and shot. Most times, the result was a long rebound, which we didn't get.

HOT ROD
11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
the media did. the city did. everyone had expectations, or are you in denial with blinders?

most teams have long been calling the Thunder - media darlings. what does that tell you?

Lord Helmet
11-11-2010, 08:47 AM
After watching last night...I've come to the determination that we'd be in good shape if we played in the East..sadly..we play in the West...

TaoMaas
11-11-2010, 08:58 AM
the media did. the city did. everyone had expectations, or are you in denial with blinders?

most teams have long been calling the Thunder - media darlings. what does that tell you?

You need to elaborate on this. What are you saying?

HOT ROD
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
there were high expectations for the Thunder this year, and people are panicking.

understand now?

Watson410
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
People need to not forget, last season was a miracle season... We shouldn't have even been THINKING about playoffs until THIS season!

ljbab728
11-12-2010, 10:59 PM
After 8 games last year, 4 and 4. After 8 games this year 5 and 3. Maybe my math isn't too good but that sounds better for this year.

HOT ROD
11-13-2010, 12:26 AM
yep, and I do have high expectations for this team. They have what it takes to be the best team in the west, 2nd only to LA. And I expect OKC to once again give LA a run for their money - 7 games this year, with OKC as the #2 seed. I am not alone with this expectation, as Im sure this is what the media has been talking about all along (see ESPN initial power rankings) since they have said OKC was a top team in the same club as the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, and Orlando. This may or may not be true, but this is the expectations given the talent and the BIG push from last year and last year's playoffs.

I disagree that it was a miracle season - I just think OKC jelled together and executed a game plan that nobody (but LA) could really match/beat. I suspect once the players are rested/healthy they will jell again and we'll see another huge push. Also, we must observe that this year, people are READY for OKC Thunder and other teams show up for every OKC game just like they would Lakers/Heat/Celtics/Magic/Bulls, because everybody knows OKC IS also one of the teams to beat now.

Good work on closing out games - with the 2 Portland defeats. Very nice also because it is division opponent, so we have 2 up on them now. Let's hope we can get a good showing/closing at San Antonio too.

Easy180
11-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Huge win taking down Portland w/o mr green...if they can take down old man Duncan they could get on a serious roll

What a difference two games can make

OKCisOK4me
11-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, an excellent birthday for our 22 year old Mr. Westbrooke!