View Full Version : Ballengers Furniture Closing?

asta2
11-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Anyone heard anything on Ballengers Furniture Store closing?

Larry OKC
11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Have seen the TV commercials and "Store Closing" signs at 63rd and May ... appear to be true ... seems like we have had a rash of store closing/remodeling/retirement furniture store sales very recently. Ballengers, Brunos, Galleria etc etc

onthestrip
11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Weird. They just moved there, within the year it I think.

Larry OKC
11-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Like they say .. location ... location ... location ... store never seemed to have more than a couple of cars in front whenever I would go by (and presumed those were employees)

adaniel
11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I get the sense its very hard to sell furniture in OKC if your last name isn't Mathis.

MikeOKC
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Amini's is just temporarily closing the store for extensive remodeling. I actually called Amini's office in Overland Park about that as I was curious. Shoddy business practice to put up all those signs. It is actually in tiny, tiny print on those yard signs.

Ballenger's just moved across the street, you wouldn't think that would make a difference. However, I don't know what the deal is with the old Albertsons building they moved into. Do they own it? It was remodeled into nice separate spaces for retail but nothing moved in after Ballenger's. If they own it - maybe they were hoping the leases would pay for the move, etc. and things didn't work out? Surely someone here knows about that one. It's too bad though. As someone said in another post, it's hard to battle with the discounters especially in times like the last couple of years.

progressiveboy
11-02-2010, 08:21 PM
It has been a tough market in this current recession for home furnishing stores. Here in Dallas, we lost 2 Robb and Stuckey's furniture stores. In addition we lost 2 Restoration Hardware stores one across from the Galleria and one at Stonebriar Mall, leaving only one store at Knox/Henderson area. Also, we lost a Stickley Furniture store that had just opened up in the last 2 years.

soonergal
11-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I think it was the flooring store that just moved across the street. Ballengers moved down by Mathis Bros sometime back then moved back to 63 and May within the last year or so. Also notice that the wallpaper store in the center where Ballengers (across east from the old Albertson) used to be has closed...

Prunepicker
11-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Prunette and I drove by a couple of weeks ago and noticed that
Ballenger's had moved into the large section of the shopping
center. I hope they don't grow themselves out of business.

Larry OKC
11-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Not sure what the before/after square footages were, but Ballengers current location isn't all that big...was appalled when I went into the computer store that was there before them and how tiny the store was compared to their same stores in the Dallas area.

liirogue
11-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Have seen the TV commercials and "Store Closing" signs at 63rd and May ... appear to be true ... seems like we have had a rash of store closing/remodeling/retirement furniture store sales very recently. Ballengers, Brunos, Galleria etc etc

Galleria closed?

kevinpate
11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I think Galleria is only closing for a remodeling

MikeOKC
11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Yes, Amini's Galleria is definitely just remodeling. But the whole Ballenger's thing? My brain malfunctioned when I wrote in an earlier post about them just moving across the street to May & Britton. I had my stores mixed up. Ballenger's, as its been noted above, went into the old Compusa space at 63rd and May.

Larry OKC
11-05-2010, 02:24 AM
A blurb from Thursday's Oklahoman

Ballenger's Furniture is closing its doors after 40 years. The furniture store, at 6410 N May Ave., has begun liquidating its inventory. The sale is expected to last six to eight weeks. Ballenger's recently moved to the NW 63 and May Avenue location from Edmond's Spring Creek Village

(where it apparently moved to in 2006 after being located near Mathis Bros/Bob Mills/Evans area)