View Full Version : Needles Freeway

ljbab728
10-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Has anyone else ever noticed that when looking at a map of OKC on googlemaps.com that I40 is also called Needles Fwy, Blue Star Memorial Hwy, and US270 as well as I40? I understand that I40 goes through Needles but never heard Needles Fwy before. I guess it could also be called the Muldrow freeway. LOL

Kerry
11-01-2010, 05:35 AM
It is probably a database error. In California I-40 is called the Needles Freeway because it goes to Needles, CA (a town newar the Cali-Arizona border).

jmarkross
11-01-2010, 06:18 AM
It is probably a database error. In California I-40 is called the Needles Freeway because it goes to Needles, CA (a town newar the Cali-Arizona border).

Last time I was in Needles...it was--as usual--hotter than the gates of hell...

Kerry
11-01-2010, 06:50 AM

I used to drive through there a couple times per year. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there.

gen70
11-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Last time I was there I got a speeding ticket. (which I did not pay)

metro
11-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah, last time I was in Needles it was like 119 degrees.

BDP
11-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Maybe they're confused by the song.

OKCRT
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
109 degrees at 8:00 am last time I drove through there. Of course it was a "dry" heat. lol

jmarkross
11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
109 degrees at 8:00 am last time I drove through there. Of course it was a "dry" heat. lol
Yeah--"dry" heat like in a pizza oven!

PHXguyinOKC
11-01-2010, 11:27 AM
growing up in Phoenix, I'll take the dry 113 any day over this humid (to me anyway) 103

Kerry
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Dry heat? Nobody wants to find a moist skeleton.

The heat doesn’t bother me, it gets hot everywhere and I have air conditioning but I would probably kill myself out of sure boredom and a lifeless landscape. How long will it before graboids decend upon Needles? Of course, with fresh water and their geographic isolation, it might be a good place to ride out the collapse. Hmmm, now I am thinking it might not be so bad.

Kerry
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
growing up in Phoenix, I'll take the dry 113 any day over this humid (to me anyway) 103

Stay out of Florida then. I walk to my mailbox at 90 degrees and I am soaked in sweat.

SkyWestOKC
11-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Just some food for thought....humid air weighs less and is less dense than "dry" air.

Kerry
11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Just some food for thought....humid air weighs less and is less dense than "dry" air.

I have read this but I have a hard time believing it. If you keep increasing the water content pretty soon you just have water. Which weighs more dry air or water? Since the oceans don't float above the air, I think water is more dense. When does humid air cease becoming air - and just becomes water. Of course clouds float and they are just visible forms of ultra-humid air.

SkyWestOKC
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Water (liquid) is more dense, when it is in vapor form the molecules are spread further apart from each other (less dense). Since it is less dense and therefore lighter than air at the same temperature, it can become a gas and be suspended in the air. If it were heavier, it would stay on the ground.

Not to take the thread off-topic, of course.

Architect2010
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Sigh. I said the same thing Skywest did and didn't see his post until mine was done.

jn1780
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
When does humid air cease becoming air - and just becomes water.

It keeps rising until it accumulates into rain, hail, sleet, or snow, but then it doesn't matter whether the air is lighter because all your clothes are soaked in rain or has snowflakes sticking to them which makes you heavier.

SkyWestOKC
11-01-2010, 02:50 PM
When does humid air cease becoming air - and just becomes water.

Air and water are not the same. Humid air is air that has suspended water vapor in it. You can not turn air into water, vice versa. They can be mixed up, but are too different substances. Think, salt water. Salt did not turn into water, it just became a component of that mixture. Evaporate the water and the salt will be separated.

Water is always water, in vapor form, liquid form (what we recognize as water), and solid form (ice). It simply changes state not composure. Therefore, humid air does not become water, the water is just no longer being suspended. And that happens when the air gets saturated for it's temperature. At any temperature, air can only hold a finite amount of water vapor, when that point is reached, the vapor condenses and becomes rain. If the temperature changes and the amount of water vapor does not, the humidity will change, as the air can either hold more, or hold less water. If the temperature changes so that the air holds less water, condensation will occur even though no new water vapor was added.

gen70
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I think I-40 is called "The Oklahoma River Fwy" in OKC with light and heavy molecules.

skyrick
11-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Last time I was in Needles, Dec 1971, I was hitchhiking from OKC to LA at the tender age of 17. Needles gets COLD at night in Decmber, especially in a sleeping bag next to I-40!

OKCisOK4me
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Somewhere in America more than one dog just got ran over. I just thought I'd post that cause the subject of this thread has majorly detoured, lol.

jmarkross
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Last time I was in Needles, Dec 1971, I was hitchhiking from OKC to LA at the tender age of 17. Needles gets COLD at night in Decmber, especially in a sleeping bag next to I-40!

This will take you back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMA22Hd7J8

ljbab728
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Somewhere in America more than one dog just got ran over. I just thought I'd post that cause the subject of this thread has majorly detoured, lol.

Ya think? I40 and Needles Fwy going to water vapor. That's a logical progression. LOL

OKCisOK4me
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Ya think? I40 and Needles Fwy going to water vapor. That's a logical progression. LOL

A ton of bees were just born...

losangeles_to_moore
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Needles Freeway replaced what used to be Route 66 across the Mojave Desert. As a result, a number of communities along the former route like Amboy have become ghost towns.

A sign in California showing the distance to Wilmington, North Carolina has been stolen several times.