View Full Version : OU and OSU Football Recruiting

lasomeday
10-31-2010, 09:30 AM
What is the deal with neither team recruiting heavily in Oklahoma? We have the athletes, why are they not recruiting them? I think both have two or three from Okahoma signed for 2011. I think Texas Tech may have more players from Oklahoma in 2011.

Easy180
10-31-2010, 09:47 AM
They usually do go after the elite OK players but the problem is there aren't many to choose from...TX has ten times the amount of 4 and 5 star studs so that is where their recruiting focus is

As far as TT they get the OK 2 and 3 star guys which are more plentiful...Have to come up here to recruit as most of the solid TX players don't want to play in picteresque Lubbock

MustangGT
10-31-2010, 11:25 AM
You go where the talent is, Frankly that is Texas and California. When you go fishing yo do it in the lake that has the most fish, and it is not necessarily your backyard pond.

bluedogok
10-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, they never get Oklahoma players.....

Last seasons first round picks from Oklahoma
1.Sam Bradford - PC North
Gerald McCoy - OKC Southeast

bluedogok
10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, OU and OSU never sign Oklahoma players....

Last years OU/OSU NFL Draft Picks - Round/Selection
1/1 Sam Bradford - PC North - OU
1/3 Gerald McCoy - OKC Southeast - OU
1/4 Trent Williams - Longview, Texas - OU
1/6 Russel Okung - Fort Bend, Texas - OSU
1/21 Jermaine Gresham - Ardmore - OU
1/24 Dez Bryant - Lufkin, Texas - OSU
4/121. Keenan Clayton - Sulphur Springs, Texas - OU
5/135 Dominique Franks - Tulsa Union - OU
5/137 - Perrish Cox - Waco, Texas - OSU
5/162 - Brody Eldridge - La Cygne, Kansas - OU

Not a bad ratio for such a small state, almost the same number of draft picks from Oklahoma (4) as Texas (5) but more first rounders from Oklahoma (3) than Texas (2) in that group, including 3 of the top 4.

The current OU roster has 36 players from Oklahoma including a star in Ryan Broyles (Norman) and many consistent contributors like Tress Way (Tulsa Union), Jimmy Stephens (Heritage Hall), Moises Madu (Norman), James Winchester (Washington),
Trent Ratterree (Weatherford), Brian Lepak (Claremore), Ronnell Lewis (Dewar), Gabe Ikard (Bishop McGuiness), Aaron Colvin (Owasso) and Austin Box (Enid). They have 55 players from Texas, I would imagine that OSU has a similar ratio. It is just the difference of the massive population size disparity between Texas and most of the surrounding states.

If you look at the rosters of teams in the surrounding states it is probably about the same ratio of in-state to Texas players as most schools mine Texas along with Florida and California, Ohio and Pennsylvania are similar states to the Midwest schools but most of them have a decent representation from Texas.