View Full Version : Possible new speed trap on 164th between Penn and Western

TheTravellers
10-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Just wanted to warn folks - construction is completely (yes, completely - no barrels, cones, temp striping, unlaid sod, etc. are left) finished on NW 164th between Penn and Western. But 30 MPH signs are still up. If the pattern holds, cops will be busting people, but there aren't as many places to hide as there are on May, Penn, or Western, so they may not be there as much as they were on those streets. Maybe it won't be a speed trap, maybe they'll put up new speed limit signs soon, but just wanted to let folks know that you could get busted very easily there.

diesel
10-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah those cops around that area have nothing better to do than pester people... Instead of fighting real crime, they would rather spend their time making u-turns pulling over people right and left.. I drove thru there to go to Walmart Neighborhood Market the other day and saw the cop literally pull over 4 different people... Its not like it is a dangerous area really so I think its more for their profit than concern of keeping people safe...

MustangGT
10-30-2010, 03:03 PM
It would not surprise me to see the Traffic Division setting the speed limit at 40 or 45. No matter what is said here or what the residents think it will be set according to published guidelines. Like it or not.

ljbab728
10-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to warn folks - construction is completely (yes, completely - no barrels, cones, temp striping, unlaid sod, etc. are left) finished on NW 164th between Penn and Western. But 30 MPH signs are still up. If the pattern holds, cops will be busting people, but there aren't as many places to hide as there are on May, Penn, or Western, so they may not be there as much as they were on those streets. Maybe it won't be a speed trap, maybe they'll put up new speed limit signs soon, but just wanted to let folks know that you could get busted very easily there.

Thank you, maybe you'll actually be encouraging people now to drive the posted speed limit now no matter what it is.

TheTravellers
11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Thank you, maybe you'll actually be encouraging people now to drive the posted speed limit now no matter what it is.

Unintended consequence - my intention was to decrease the revenue enhancement project OKCPD is undertaking or will undertake in that stretch of road, even though there is no reason to go 30 MPH. You're a complete, total, absolute, 10000% idiot if you think 30 MPH is justified along there at this point in time. Why in the world can't you see that speed limit signs (or stop signs, or traffic lights, or any other traffic control device) are not always set in a proper manner for safety and there can be ulterior motives behind the way they're placed, set, etc.?

Oh, and to the other poster that mentioned cops writing traffic tickets instead of fighting crime (to paraphrase) - most police depts have traffic divisions and patrol divisions and usually the traffic cops just do traffic and the patrol ones do the other stuff. So they're not really blowing off other crimes to write tickets...

TheTravellers
11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
It would not surprise me to see the Traffic Division setting the speed limit at 40 or 45. No matter what is said here or what the residents think it will be set according to published guidelines. Like it or not.

Don't know what the limit was before they lowered it due to the pathetic shape it was in (didn't live here then), but it's 40 to the east and 50 to the west, so it should be 40 or 45. The 30 MPH signs I was referring to were the temporary construction speed limit signs, so yes, it should be raised back to "normal", but probably not before OKCPD gets a few thousand extra $$$ out of the situation...

MustangGT
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
but probably not before OKCPD gets a few thousand extra $$$ out of the situation...

For your enlightenment the PD sees no nore money regardless of the number if tickets they write. ALL of the money goes into the OKC Court system to untimately be funneled into the General Fund. So traffic scoflaws assist in providing money to repair and upgrade streets.

If I was to wager I would say the speed limit will be set at 45.

TheTravellers
11-01-2010, 11:17 AM
For your enlightenment the PD sees no nore money regardless of the number if tickets they write. ALL of the money goes into the OKC Court system to untimately be funneled into the General Fund. So traffic scoflaws assist in providing money to repair and upgrade streets.

If I was to wager I would say the speed limit will be set at 45.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Still uncool for the OKCPD to take advantage of that situation, though...

MustangGT
11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks, I didn't know that. Still uncool for the OKCPD to take advantage of that situation, though...

Agreed.