View Full Version : PINKITZEL is now open!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Watson410
10-29-2010, 08:10 PM
PINKITZEL is now open!! It's located in the train station downtown. I must say this store is absolutely AMAZING!!!! It's a great concept for OKC and should do very well as long as people get the word out that it's there. They have a little bit of everything, I guarantee you everyone that walks in there will find something they like or want. I recommend checking it out one your way to or from a Thunder game or any other time.

dismayed
10-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Any details on what type of business they are and what it is that they are selling? Food? Clothing? Souvenirs? What is it?

Platemaker
10-29-2010, 08:27 PM
It's a cupcake and candy shop.

metro
10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
How does it compare to Sara Sara, cuppies, sugar, green goodies, market c and the other cupcake places?

Watson410
10-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Any details on what type of business they are and what it is that they are selling? Food? Clothing? Souvenirs? What is it?

Like Platemaker said, It's considered a Cupcake and Candy store. They have all kinds of stuff though... Old school candys (I.E. Cigarette candys, sixlets, tinybits gum, etc.), a full blown taffy bar (All sorts of flavors), gourmet truffles (looked amazing but didn't sample any), flavored teas, cupcakes, just a bunch of unique little gifts and candies. You really just need to check it out, there's waaaaaay too much to list... every little detail it thought out. I was going to take a few pics but didn't think about it until after i had left. They also have two really cool decorated banquet/party rooms in the back.

Watson410
10-29-2010, 09:26 PM
How does it compare to Sara Sara, cuppies, sugar, green goodies, market c and the other cupcake places?

I have only been to Sara Sara and cuppies... I had the Chocolate Malt cupcake, It looked really cool... but it was kind of dry. Sara Sara is by far my favorite as far as taste. Pinkitzel cupcakes definitely have a very unique design, one has something to do with ice cream if I remember right and comes in an ice cream cone. The cookies and creme has cream in the center.

HOT ROD
10-29-2010, 10:26 PM
wow, sounds like a great (and much needed) addition to downtown. and great that it is at the train station too.

woohoo!

soonerguru
10-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Sara Sara blows. Cool space, bad cupcakes.

metro
10-30-2010, 07:46 AM
wow, sounds like a great (and much needed) addition to downtown. and great that it is at the train station too.

woohoo!Not really, downtown already has a cupcake store and a block away is bricktown candy co. I'm worried about it putting at least one out of biz.

BBatesokc
10-30-2010, 08:55 PM
We tried to go there tonight. We ate at the Wedge and decided to walk to Pinkitzel's to check the place out.

Unfortunately they made the odd decision to be closed on a Saturday night ~ was 9 p.m. when we went by.

The place looked great inside but they need to get their marketing act together if they see going to be a success...

They should be open weekend nights and especially on a holiday weekend. Their website still shows coming soon "opening October 28" and has no other information. Their Twitter presence is pathetic. All I can say is their cupcakes had better be unbelievably great. What a way to completely squash any opening buzz.

pinkitzel
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi! This is Jonathan, owner of Pinkitzel, we're so excited to get Pinkitzel up and running, unfortunately we had a mechanical HVAC permit from the city that had to be approved before we could officially open, but we are now up and running! By the end of the week our website should be finished, we've been so excited by all of the comments and grateful for the warm response we've received from everyone who has stopped by. I've been in personal contact with BBatesokc and will make sure that he get's treated on our expense for missing us!

Spartan
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
This would seem to be a bad location for a cupcake and candy shop.

HOT ROD
11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
why?

it is near Ford Center and Cox, at the Train Station, and at the gate to Bricktown. I think it is a great location.

Larry OKC
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I think I can understand what Spartan is saying, it all depends what hours they keep...if they are tied in to the train schedule, then that can be a problem. Went to Vegas a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to find Sonic closing at 6 pm! The other food places next to it were open later but dont know when they closed. Sort of like the gift shops at the airport, if you want to get something, buy it on the way flying out of town .. chances are they will be closed

HOT ROD
11-02-2010, 01:31 AM
but location is different than hours.

I think they are in a great location with great access to OKC's top attractions and transit hub (especially soon to be, we expect).

If their hours aren't sufficient, then that is a management decision that has little to do with location. (similar to Larry's Sonic in Vegas example.)

Larry OKC
11-02-2010, 04:05 AM
But the point is the location is dictating the hours to a certain extent, and to clarify, its the Sonic in the OKC airport that has the short hours. Recent story said that the train station may/may not be open even when the Heartland Flyer arrives. If any businesses are inside, they are probably tied into whatever hours the owner of the building decides (just as many mall store hours correspond with the hours of the mall). Yes they can divert from the buildings hours

BBatesokc
11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
I think the location is a mixed bag. It obviously wasn't good for the previous tenant (regardless of what they may say) the parking lot was always empty and they closed (enough said).

It has really good exposure, but its disconnected enough from everything going on in Bricktown as to be a detriment. I can see people walking or driving into Bricktown and going "wow, look at that place, cool." and then forgetting to go out of their way to go by.

Fortunately they've spent alot of money and the place looks top notch (as opposed to the Bricktown Candy Co.) and cupcakes are still to many a treat worth seeking out. I also know many people who don't consider there to be a cup cake place downtown since Sara Sara is so terrible in their (and my) opinion.

I plan on going by again soon.

okclee
11-02-2010, 09:36 AM
How many spaces are available in the Santa Fe depot storefronts? (tried searching on Brewers website with no real info.)

If they were to add a small store, walk up food vendor (Cuban sandwich anyone?), or a small drinking establishment, they could really have something.

The appearance of Pinkitzel looks top notch.

metro
11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
3-4 storefront spaces

asta2
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Stopped by today and took home some cupcakes. They were delicious!!! Very moist! The decor is amazing and you almost feel like you've step into another dimension upon entering. The party rooms were incredibly decorated as well. There's one for kids and one for adults. Great place!

metro
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
How do they compare to the other cupcake shops...........?

Dustin
11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
All I need to know is that they're moist. You couldn't pay me to eat another crumbly and dry Sara Sara Cupcake.

Platemaker
11-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I hear that too often... obviously people haven't been to Sara Sara since they opened.

betts
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I hear that too often... obviously people haven't been to Sara Sara since they opened.

I agree. I think Sara Sara has some incredibly delicious cupcakes, and they've improved considerably since opening. My favorites are the Crimson and Cream, Coconut and German chocolate cake cupcakes.

metro
11-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I like count chocula and best of both worlds (chocolate with chopped peanuts on top)

BBatesokc
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM

Not necessarily. I've been there 4 times. The last time just 3 weeks ago. Still the same way too dense and dry cupcake. The last time was with friends that wanted to give it a try. Got them to go. They took one bite and agreed they were not worth the money. We threw them away and and went to Cuppies and Joe. Not as good as 501 but still pretty good. I really can't wait to try Pinkitzel. Maybe tomorrow night.

kevinpate
11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Although I've got a sweet tooth, I've never gotten on board with the cupcake craze or the expansive return of 50 gajillion versions of fro-yo. Glad some of ya enjoy it though.

HOT ROD
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Larry, sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't know Sonic at the airport closed down so early - that is quite a dumb management decision in my mind; especially since people might not have had time to go to Sonic before leaving town (speaking of those of us expats and/or business people who travel to OKC but don't have a local Sonic at home). ... Also, it just helps make the airport look empty with businesses closing early. I think they should be open until 8 or even 9 but perhaps the 'market' doesn't dictate that??????

I think Pinkitzel will do well because they are making themselves into a destination, considering the prime location and the fact that OKC doesn't have anything else like it. They have great frontage and seem to have product lines which interest people. As long as the product is high quality and they have good signage - I think people will stop in BEFORE they even go to Bricktown not to mention they would likely remember on the way out of B-town.

jbrown84
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Sounds like there is some confusion over the location. If I'm not mistaking, this is in the storefronts where the loading docks used to be, NOT inside the Santa Fe Station lobby. So it's not affected by when the station itself is open.

Larry OKC
11-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Sounds like there is some confusion over the location. If I'm not mistaking, this is in the storefronts where the loading docks used to be, NOT inside the Santa Fe Station lobby. So it's not affected by when the station itself is open.

Good to know ... if that is the case, this is an entirely different matter.

metro
11-03-2010, 08:49 AM
jbrown is correct, it is in the loading docks location, where Envy used to be.

betts
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I visited pinkitzel today. The store is very attractive and they have not only candy and cupcakes but very interesting gift items and baby things. However, I did not think the cupcakes were nearly as good as those at Sara Sara. They are smaller, I didn't think they were any moister and the flavor was more generic, with the exception of the coconut cupcake: the frosting on it tasted more of almond extract than anything. Still, they may improve and the store is a fun place.

HOT ROD
11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
thanks for the report betts, I will certainly visit next time Im in the city.

wsucougz
11-03-2010, 07:21 PM
They have a cool sign.

HOT ROD
11-03-2010, 07:39 PM
pics?

Twain427
11-04-2010, 10:13 AM
It's nice. Not thrilling, but nice. Typical boutique type store. Nice/Cute stuff at prices one would generally balk at. Not likely long for this world...

J. Pitman
11-04-2010, 11:44 AM
It's nice. Not thrilling, but nice. Typical boutique type store. Nice/Cute stuff at prices one would generally balk at. Not likely long for this world...

Those store fronts are blighted and we all know the owners are going to do absolutely nothing about it.

af2010
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi! This is Jonathan, owner of Pinkitzel, we're so excited to get Pinkitzel up and running, unfortunately we had a mechanical HVAC permit from the city that had to be approved before we could officially open, but we are now up and running! By the end of the week our website should be finished, we've been so excited by all of the comments and grateful for the warm response we've received from everyone who has stopped by. I've been in personal contact with BBatesokc and will make sure that he get's treated on our expense for missing us!

Myself & another carload of people tried to stop by today at about 11:15, but Pinkitzel wasn't open, despite the fact that their website says they open at 11. Is Pinkitzel prepared to do the same thing for BBates as for all the other people who have tried to visit?

goldbug
11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Not really, downtown already has a cupcake store and a block away is bricktown candy co. I'm worried about it putting at least one out of biz.

There's already a cupcake store downtown? Name/location?

BG918
11-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Sara Sara on 9th

metro
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM

As BG said, Sara Sara is on NW 9th next to Iguana and Panchinko Parlor. Been there for a couple years.

goldbug
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Sara Sara on 9th

Oh, okay. I'd consider that more Midtown though.

goldbug
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
As BG said, Sara Sara is on NW 9th next to Iguana and Panchinko Parlor. Been there for a couple years.

Yeah, I've tried it a few times. I prefer Cuppies and Joe, but I guess not everyone is looking for the same thing in a cupcake. Sara Sara's location is pretty convenient for me though...I love Iguana!

LBC
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Just tried some of Pinkitzel's candy offerings, and I must say they are fresh, delcious and they have a wide variety! Plus their cupcakes are GREAT! I will definately be going back there....and I don't even have much of a sweet tooth.

betts
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
It is interesting how many differing opinions there are. I like Sara Sara the best, followed by Cuppies and Joe, with Pinkitzel third. Clearly other people have differing opinions. Too often we make what we consider statements of fact when they're really statements of opinion.

HOT ROD
11-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I think they can all co-exist.

Steve
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
People clearly have their favorites, and are quite vocal about it, when it comes to cupcakes.

okclee
11-10-2010, 02:31 PM
This reminds me of the time I saw Little Debbie going toe to toe with Dolly Madison!

Now that was a cat fight! Close your eyes kids!

Dustin
11-11-2010, 09:04 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1125.snc4/148725_459522721337_510866337_5972165_7369032_n.jp g

From my couz's facebook.

HOT ROD
11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
pretty

BBatesokc
12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2726/picture6g.png

Took the wife there today after lunch. The place is really nice inside.

I had the truffle cupcake and the wife had the chocolate salted caramel.

Both were excellent. I would say they were as good as Cafe 501 (my favorite).

The downside was they are smaller and more expensive. Two cupcakes and a milk were right at $11. YIKES

All in all though, a very nice place and much classier than Bricktown Candy Co.

SOONER8693
12-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I doubt it lasts a year. I hope I'm wrong.

BBatesokc
12-14-2010, 08:00 AM
I doubt it lasts a year. I hope I'm wrong.

I hope not too! But it has alot to overcome (price, location, fad). But, they've at least got two key elements down (good product and a nice venue). Hopefully those two positives are a sign of a good financial backing and they can wait it out and get a customer base.

okclee
12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
There is no reason that the entire Santa Fe Depot isn't full of shops. Having only one shop at a time, prior to Pinkitzel there was a lone clothing shop too. This area is a prime spot and has been vacant for far to long.

Pinkitzel looks great, and I will be giving them a try for candy and cupcakes.

BBatesokc
12-14-2010, 09:31 AM
There is no reason that the entire Santa Fe Depot isn't full of shops. Having only one shop at a time, prior to Pinkitzel there was a lone clothing shop too. This area is a prime spot and has been vacant for far to long.

Pinkitzel looks great, and I will be giving them a try for candy and cupcakes.

I would agree if the entire station were full of retailers then the location is a good one in many respects. But, with only 1 or 2 retailers that have a narrow appeal, it is good for exposure but not actual foot in the door traffic.

One thing I hate is that the parking lot is also used as a pay to park lot for all events. Had a friend that said she wanted to stop in Pinkitzel's the other day but was confused by all the event $10 parking and decided to go to Sara Sara.

king183
12-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I've gone in there a couple times after a Thunder game. It's a really nice shop. But the prices are almost laughably too high. I could get the exact same candy they sell there for 1/4th the price at a few other shops (and even convenient stores).

BDP
12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
The store looks great. I'll have to check it out.

What I find interesting is how this concept keeps popping up in OKC, yet no one has tried a desert bar, yet. Cuppies and Joe does great because it combines coffee and cupcakes in a nice warm environment (and is also close to a college). I think bricktown would do better with a place that was desert and drinks. With the right mix, it would be a great place after games, after eating at another restaurant, or just for someone staying in a hotel that wanted to get out a bit. These types of places were very in vogue about 10 years ago, but no one has really tried it here. And if someone wants to give it a go and needs an investor, message me. Given that we could limit our menu to just the high margin stuff, I'd be all over it. : )

BBatesokc
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
The store looks great. I'll have to check it out.

What I find interesting is how this concept keeps popping up in OKC, yet no one has tried a desert bar, yet. Cuppies and Joe does great because it combines coffee and cupcakes in a nice warm environment (and is also close to a college). I think bricktown would do better with a place that was desert and drinks. With the right mix, it would be a great place after games, after eating at another restaurant, or just for someone staying in a hotel that wanted to get out a bit. These types of places were very in vogue about 10 years ago, but no one has really tried it here. And if someone wants to give it a go and needs an investor, message me. Given that we could limit our menu to just the high margin stuff, I'd be all over it. : )

Like a 'Cupcakes and Cocktails' theme? I could see it. I think Pinkitzel is a little overly feminine (both in name and decor) for a location so close to events being attended by men taking their women out. I don't see the cowboy crowd stopping in for a cupcake and milk after a concert or Thunder game.

I think an old school soda fountain, candy store would be really nice in the area. It looks like that's what they were trying with the Bricktown Candy Co., but they don't pull it off well - too low budget and no attention to decor details.

BDP
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Like a 'Cupcakes and Cocktails' theme?

Yeah, but in an almost a lounge setting. More like a bar that has a great dessert menu.

BBatesokc
01-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Okay, I've been there 5x so far and we and everyone we've taken is hooked. 501 Cafe was my favorite cupcake place, but the one's at Pinkitzel's are handsdown the best in our opinion. So much so that last night we stopped to get some for the weekend (4) and two brownie bites for the ride home. Needless to say the brownie bites ($1.25/ea) were gone by the time we left he parking lot and we ate the last two cupcakes this morning for breakfast (just before we headed out to the YMCA). I've yet to try GiGi's but its next on my list.