View Full Version : Tattoo's

Curt
03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Who's got 'em, and what do you think about them. I have two and am going for a third.

mranderson
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Never had them, never will. I do not care for them. Especially on a woman.

Curt
03-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I think on a woman, the lower back is a real turn on. But that is about it on a woman.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-08-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm gonna get a full body one of myself only taller

Zoedith
03-08-2005, 09:58 PM
I have tattoos and I like them. My opinion is they can be tasteful and sexy. I tend to respect ones that are meaningful to that person though, instead of a bunch of skulls or butterflies, although to some that may be meaningful.

I would get another, if I could find a good celtic knot artist.

Curt
03-08-2005, 10:02 PM
They can be tasteful and sexy, and better if they have meaning, mine can only be seen when not wearing a shirt or wearing a tank top.

Zoedith
03-08-2005, 10:08 PM
For the most part nobody knows I have any, but some shorts that I wear show the one on my thigh, and when I wear sandals you can see the one on my ankle. The one on my shoulderblade is never seen, doesnt matter though since I got them for me.

Curt
03-08-2005, 10:10 PM
That is the important thing, you get them for yourself. I understand you cant get them done in Oklahoma though, why is that?

Zoedith
03-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I suppose there are a lot of rumors on the subject. The one I heard was that a governors daughter got a tattoo from a passing carnival in the 70's and deicded to make them illegal. However, I don't know if there is any truth in that.

Patrick
03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Personally, I'm not a tatoo man, but that's just me! Still, I don't have any problem with tatoo parlors being legal in the state.

AXU
02-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Just joined, found this in a search, sorry I'm replying to one so old.

Tattoos. I love them. i think they're nice. I have a few and will get many, manny more. I don't plan on any untasteful ones. Mine all mean so much, they're piecing together the story of my life. I think tattoos are beautiful. There are many people, though, that go in for a crap reason, pick out a random design, and that's it, 5 years or so, they want it removed.... To most people that get them, tattoos are meaningful. Tattoos tell the stories of people's lives, who they love/d, who they lost, things that happened to them, what was important to them..etc. As to the sex thing. I think they look great on everyone. I like chestpieces on girls the most, though, but I still think they look beautiful on any place on any kind of body. I preferr more coverage than just that, but that's just me. I think they're beautiful..

So I hear a lot about how bad they are for you and such, and that makes me sad,
In my opinion, tattoos can only be harmful in a few ways..(despite the pain of getting one, of course, yes, it does hurt.) On way is if you don't think it out, just get some crap that 'looks cool', and that was just a spur of the moment thing...And not thinking it out. If you are getting into a career that tattoos are not necissary, then choose a spot that is easy to hide, but where you'll like it, if oyu want one,...you know? Another way is the shop. If the shop is not good, simply don't go there to get tattooed. If the shop is very dirty and unprofessional, you have no business being there. You can usually ask to see their autoclave, ..., which is what cleans all of the non disposable eqipment they use.if they say they don't have one, run and the last is the artist. Most of it all falls on the artists' shoulders. It is prudent to look at their portfolio, and at their artwork and possibly talk to someone that has gotten tattoos from them. The artist should be very professional, and very sterile. They should be wear gloves, and changing them when necissary. They should open all new needles and tubes...etc.
Sorry that bit was so long, but if people made sure that they do all of those things wisely, people wouldn't

A lot of the tattoos you see on people that got them 30 or so years ago, they're faaded and 'look like a blob.' That happens half because the people, and half because of the pigments. The 'ink' or pigment 30+ years ago wasn't as good as the pigments produced today. The pigments consisted of polymers, which is not very good to be placed into the skin, and seemd to fade and 'bleed' over time. The way it was the persons' fault is because they probably didn't take care of them. Bikers and outdoor workers are a prime example. You must take care of your tattoos to keep the colors vivid, and the tattoo looking very crisp and nice. It is prudent to follow the aftercare instruction that the artist gives you after you get one, if not, it all goes downhil from there. Sunlight is a main damaging factor when it comes to tattoos. Like stated before biker and people who work in the sun, go to the beach, or are outside a lot in the sun should always keep suntan lotion on, just as you would protect the untattooed portion of your skin, it must be protected from harmful UV rays. Even if you're out tanning,just put suntan lotion over the design itself, it just needs to be protected, or over time, it will fade and start to bleed, no matter how good of a quality the pigment was. Proper care of a tattoo will not leave you 'blobs when you're 80', despite popular belief. I must admit, no matter how well one takes care of a tattoo, it will eventually fade, but by taking care of it, it will still look good years and years later.

That was really long, I'd rather inform people of these kind of things. I was taught all kinds of things since i got my apprenticeship, and my mentors have years and years of experience, and I also like to research these things myself. If anyone was even minutely interested in getting a tattoo, I just thought I'd give them a heads up, and try to give them tips to the best experience they could get getting a tattoo. :-)

I am a tattoo apprentice at the end of my apprenticeship, I tattoo in Oklahoma City(OKC Tattoo II). We run our shop out of a kind of loophole, but not much of one, because we still get arrested, but the courts just push back our dates after our release, because they don't want to deal with it, so nothing happens. And technically, we don't give tattoos as the law defines it. The law states that it is illegal to offer or give a tattoo, being defined as placing permanent mark under the skin with needles and ink... See, tattoos aren't marks placed UNDER the skin, they're applied only on the first three layers of skin. I'd be scared of a tattoo under someone's skin. So anyway, we're pushing for the law to be passed, because, next to South Carolina, we were the last,a nd now we are the only one. Even if people don't like them, it really sucks that they don't want them to be legalized. I'm not much for gambling, but I was still for the lottery in Oklahoma, so I don't know why people can be so creul about it. The health department is actually pushing for the law to be passed. It is apparent that people will still give tattoos anyway, but there are some people who do it dangerously. They don't have proper sterilization tools, and don't care about their tattoos,a nd focus on their pay. I know this sounds like an ad, now, but I personally make sure everything is sterilized at my shop, and I clean it, and put a lot of time into the artwork, that's what it's about to me, and the rest fo the artists my boss hired, the passion for the art.

So anyway, the tattoo shop (Fantasy Tattoos) in Gainesville makes their most money off of Oklahomans, and they make an overwhelming amount. Not because they are good, just because this state will not allow them. Fantasy Tattoos is actually a horrible shop. They are only concerned with money, and could care less about the artwork and care that should be going into tattoos. They have put out some terrible tattoos. But there are many other great shops in Texas (Obscurities), but I still preferr Okalhoma.

So by the way..., OETA came by and filmed the tattoo convention, and filmed a few shops for a special that will be appearing this month (I'll get the date in case you are interested)...One of the shops is the same one I am under OKC Tattoos, (DJ richardson is the manager and who does all of my tattoos). It should be interesting, haha I'm sure I'll be on the convention part of it.

Sorry, I'm done, anyone have anything to say or something...Sorry it was long.

MadMonk
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Best. Tatoo. Ever. :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Tatoo.jpg

I don't personally have a tatoo, but I have no problems with other people getting one. I've seen some really good artwork on people. Its silly to outlaw it.

keving
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
AXU... Thanks for the info.

I thought that some were getting around the issue because it states in the law about the tatoo's being permanent. With today's laser removal technology, tatoo's are no longer permanent, correct?

AXU
02-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I forgot I didn't mention that part, which is the biggest part of the loophole, sorry..

And the part that Tattoos are only Illegal to offer or actually give in Oklahoma, not to recieve... so...money for Oklahoma...? Not Texas...? yeah..

AXU
02-10-2006, 09:25 AM
And Mad Monk, hahaha wow... I have never seen that on someone's head...only...you know, down south...That one you posted's better..

rondaroo
05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I heard that you can get a tattoo in bricktown. Does anyone know where? Would really like to get one on my shoulder fnished. Thanks! Ronda

metro
05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I just heard Brad Henry signed the bill into effect. It's up on newsok.com as well!

rondaroo
05-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I heard that also, but I also read in the OKC paper a few weeks back that you could already get a tattoo in bricktown and the way that they were getting away with it was using henna ink and making you sign a release stating that it was removable with laser????

OklaCity_75
05-11-2006, 01:16 AM
I have no problem with tattooing. If you want one, go for it.

I think most people that are getting them now will end up having them removed.

What looks cool or sexy on you at 20 will look bad at 30 and even worse as years go on.

In some career fields, employers will make you cover up tattoos. Tattoos do not fit in with a professional image.

Some of the kids who are getting tattoos and piercing are going to face higher levels of rejection in their professional future. Employers and some college recruiters want someone who cleans up well not someone who looks like a circus freak.

I saw a young twenty something girl with a tattoo across her chest. I thought sure that looks cool now but what about when she walks down the aisle, or has to a dress up for a formal professional outing.

I think most kids forget tattoos are not like parachute pants, or jean jackets. You cannot throw them in the back the closet and send them off to goodwill.

They stay there until you pay for the expensive removal. In some cases, removal may leave scars or discoloration that will last forever.

AXU
05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I agree, most people don't think tattoos through when they get them. I know. People just walk in, I ask them what they want, and 5-10 minutes later of looking at flash, they pick some trendy piece that means nothing,a nd is only gotten because it's cool. I hate it. It makes it all look so bad. That happens all too often. But you have to remember, it is their own decision, whether they thought it out or not. It's their life to deal with, and their problem is if becomes one. See, I get everything for reasons, everything has a meaning and is a big part of my life...of course I care if it is done well, and placed properly, but I'm not completely into it for the look. Yes, all skin ages, and yes they will fade... but I will just get them touched up, I take good care of my body, keep my skin fair, so I know in 20 years, even if I had no tattoos, my bodya nd skin would look much better than most people my age. You have to remember, mosty people see old tattoos on older people. The pigments, machines and techniques that were used back when those tattoos were given were not the best. Like the pigments for example, had a lot of polymers, and because of those polymers, the tattoos faded and started to look green over the years. Also, pertaining to the pigment issue, also care; People generally do not take care of their tattoos. It is true most people that used to get tattoos many years ago were military personell and bikers, and neither of them cared to keep their tattoos safe. Military personell had to worrry about their job, and Bikers just generally aren't the type to take care. See, the thing with Tattoos, is that they are NEVER in their whole lifetime, are supossed to EVER be in direct sunclight, you're always supossed to cover them up when you don't apply sunblock, this and just general improper care (and tanning, oh my goodness tanning) cause for ugly tattoos on ugly skin as people age.

I agree that people should not get tattoos uness they know that they can have them in the career they are getting into, or just get them in a place their employers would never see them if they really wat one, but their job wouldn't permit. See, Ever since I was a kid I knew what I was gonna do, so there was no problem, I even had everything set up before I became 18, so I know stretching my ears, getting visible piercings and tattoos would be okay to have at my job, because I knew I was becoming a tattoo artist, and did.

I agree with the kids statement except for the circus freak thing, it is very unnecissary and extremely rude. That was really uncalled for. I dont like kids senselessly getting body modifications, just for ridiculous reasons. I am very young, especially compared to most, (especially in my profession), but I did nothign senselessly, I did everything for a reason, and did none of it to impress anyone or to offend anyone..

You forget that everyone is different. And also, you forget that not everyone wants to live a certain way of life, and some do. Like me, I live my life in the body modification/psychobilly/rockabilly retro subculture. (No, not counter culture, getting tattoos dosen't not make you a part of a counter culture, tattooed people do not want to bring the government down, or destroy it or compete with it, we just want to live life the way we want, which dosen't harm anyone else.) I like retro things, I like old cars, I like horror movies, I like having colored hair, piercings, and tattoos...I like being able to be myself, with nothing or noone holding me back. I'm married, but have yet to have the ceremony, and when I do, I know I'll have a dress designed to show off my tattoos nicely, and have a pretty corset piercing up my back, but that's just the life I choose for myself, that's the life my husband wat and likes to have. We're just happy this way. It dosen't make us any different than before we had tattoos, we're not trying to be different(it's not THAT unusual, at least 25% of the population has at least one tattoo, and that from a few years ago, and I know it keeps rising).

Haha, I'm in Edmond, and it is far from cool to have tattoos. Most of the kids are stuck up, rich,a nd ignorant. They know nothing other than parties, work, school, and getting a lot of stuff from their parents. They don't see tattoos much,a nd they don't know anythign about them, and in most cases not knowing about something/something being different turns to fear,a nd fear turns to hate....so I am horribly mistreated. I am harassed almost everywhere I go. I am called mean names, I've had my ass kicked for it too. I have to carry a knife now. I knew from my friends with tattoos growing up,(and the way my dad talked about people with tattoos) that might be harder just because of people's thoughts and reactions. But I never knew peopel were as creul as everyone told me, I thought a lot higher of society in general. I am nice, I'm not rude or inconsiderate, I am very respectful of others, I hold doors open for people, I do nice things for random people, I help people cross street, I'm not irresponsible, I don't drink, I'm not a crazy teenager, I don't smoke ANYTHING,I love my family, I love my friends, I have never been arrested, or committed a crime, I don't have wild parties or blaremusic, I'm very poilte, and cling very much to the morals my parents taught me, I do community work, I love kids and animals, I smile and wave all the time. I'm actually kind of shy.....But I am treated worse than an animal at times...I get no respect returned, or consideration..it's really terrible, especially in OKlahoma, and it makes me very sad..I didn't ask to be so low in society, but I should have expected it, in my surroundings, I just had more faith in humanity and was very naive. So no, i don't do it to be trendy or cool... No one gets treated like that for cool or trendy things, I'm sure it's big elsewhere with kids my age, but I am not really aware of that so much..

I mean, No one HAS to like them at all, but when you go up to someone and harass them and say horrible things, it really is terrible. People think that only criminals and junkies and whores get tattoos, that if this person has a tattoo they must be a criminal, or a stupid teenager, or a slut, rebelling against society, but I'll let you in on something, tattoos can be for anyone. All types of people get them, (NOT just men, by the way.) When people say realy mean stuff to me, when I'm just walking somewhere, or in a store, no matter how horrible they think I am for having them, they just proved to be worse.

That's right, removal is not 100% most of the time. You DO get left with scars and obvious mark on your skin. It is very expensive to begin with, and added on that, it takes several sessions, and is much more painful. I think the solution is simple. If you don't want it forever, don't get it. I don't elieve in removals. I know I will want what I have for the rest of my life, I'm not getting band names, or boyfriends' names, or my favorite things at the time. I get stuff that makes me, stuff that is for people, the people in my life, the people that I have loved and lost, the people that made me who I am... I know they developed a new pigment, with polymers that break apart and let the ink out, as soon as a lazer hits it, so it would only take 1 session to remove them, so it will be a heaven for all of those fickkle people. I'm not happy about it, not sad, but now it's more of an excuse for people NOT to think tattoos out, so it kind of sucks.

People are much too rude about people with body modifications, America is one of the few places that hasn't had body modifications in their history, and so although this is a country where you can be anybody, and do anything......You can't be yourself, you can't be different than the cookie cutter person society has told us that is acceptable to be...

I'm not saying that as one of those ridiculous '**** the government' and 'punk rock' kids, I say this as a US citizen, who has been mistreated my whole life,(even as a kid, I was never like anyone else, althought I thought I was). I don't hate the government or anything, I'm just sad people can't just leave it alone,a nd worry about their own lives..

Sorry if I stopped making sense, I just get carried away.. I'm very passionate about the subject of my career.. I take it very seriously..

-AXU.

metro
05-11-2006, 09:43 AM
rondaroo, yes you are correct. We've had several discussions on here talking about how you can already get a tattoo. The place in Bricktown is First Amendment Tattoo's and they are the real deal, not henna. THey just operate "illegally" using the First Amendment rights as their justification. THey've been arrested just a few times over the years. Henna ink is temporary and wears out so if it were true, it wouldn't matter. The big thing is, the bill Henry signed made true tattooing, which was already being done all over illegally, now legal.

Keith
06-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Survey: 24 percent between 18-50 tattooed

Associated Press:

A sun shines on Dan Yu's back, alongside a swimming koi fish. A tree soon may grow on his arm. "Your body's an empty canvas, so you almost want to continue to add to it," said Yu, 28, as he showed off his tattoos.

A generation or two ago, Yu's tattoos — to say nothing of his pierced nose — probably would have placed him in a select company of soldiers, sailors, bikers and carnival workers. But no longer: The American University employee is among about 36 percent of Americans age 18 to 29 with at least one tattoo, according to a survey.

The study, scheduled to appear Monday on the Web site of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, provides perhaps the most in-depth look at tattoos since their popularity exploded in the early 1990s.

The results suggest that 24 percent of Americans between 18 and 50 are tattooed; that's almost one in four. Two surveys from 2003 suggested just 15 percent to 16 percent of U.S. adults had a tattoo.

"Really, nowadays, the people who don't have them are becoming the unique ones," said Chris Keaton, a tattoo artist and president of the Baltimore Tattoo Museum.

But body art is more than just tattoos.

About one in seven people surveyed reported having a piercing anywhere other than in the soft lobe of the ear, according to the study. That total rises to nearly one in three for the 18-to-29 set. Just about half — 48 percent — in that age category had either a tattoo or piercing.

Given their youth, that suggests the percentage of people with body art will continue to grow, said study co-author Dr. Anne Laumann, a Northwestern University dermatologist.

"They haven't had time to get their body piercing. They haven't had time to get their tattoo. They are just beginning to get into it and the number is already big," Laumann said.

So why has body art become so popular?

Laumann and others believe it allows people to broadcast to the world what they are all about. Others call it sign of rebellion or a rite of passage. The survey found nearly three-fourths of the pierced and nearly two-thirds of the tattooed made the leap before 24.

"It's a very easy way to express something that you think represents part of your identity — that you don't have to tell someone but you can just have seen," said Chelsea Farrell, 21, an American University senior from Albany, N.Y. Farrell has a tattooed fish on each hip and a Celtic knot on the small of her back.

The survey also found that what your mother may have told you about who has tattoos is true: People who drink, do drugs, have been jailed or forgo religion are more likely to be tattooed.

The same holds for piercings, though rates do not appear to vary with education, income or job category. In that sense, they appear to be "different animals," said Laumann, who has traditionally pierced ears but no tattoos.

One obvious difference is that piercings can be easily removed, unlike tattoos.

"I guess I liked the way they looked and the rush of getting them pierced, as well as them not being permanent. I can take them out and the holes will close up," said Simah Waddell, 21, of Rochester, N.Y., of her pierced nose, tongue, belly button and ears.

Waddell, who is entering her senior year at American University, said she suffered no side effects, other than the anger of her parents. The survey suggests that is not always the case for others with piercing. Nearly one in four reported medical problems, including skin infections. Among those with mouth or tongue piercings, an equal proportion reported chipped or broken teeth.

For tattoos, 13 percent of respondents had problems with healing. Generally, the Food and Drug Administration receives few reports of complications from tattoos.

The industry is regulated by state and local officials, but not the FDA, and there is no such thing as an agency-approved tattoo pigment or ink. The FDA is considering more involvement, said Dr. Linda Katz, director of agency's Office of Cosmetics and Colors.

"If you look at the fact that a quarter of adults have a tattoo, it's amazing how safe the industry is," said Dr. R. Rox Anderson, a Harvard Medical School dermatologist and tattoo removal expert. None of the survey respondents had ever had a tattoo removed, though 17 percent had considered it.

Freedom-2 LLC, a Philadelphia company co-founded by Anderson, hopes to launch the first of two lines of not-so-permanent tattoo inks next year, though without FDA approval.

To create the ink, pigments would be encapsulated in a polymer and the microcapsules injected into the skin. A tattoo would be permanent only as long as its wearer wanted it to be.

It would only take a few pulses of a laser to break open the capsules and release the ink into the body to be safely absorbed, said Martin Schmieg, the company's president and chief executive officer.

A second ink, to be available in 2008, would rely on the same technology, except the capsules would dissolve on their own. Depending on the version, the tattoos would naturally vanish after six months, 12 months or 24 months.

"It will be like wearing a tattoo like it's jewelry, where you will be able to take it off. It will just fade on its own," Schmieg said.

The telephone survey on tattoos included 253 women and 247 men and was conducted in 2004. It has a margin of error of 4.5 percentage points.

HenryRubin
10-10-2006, 11:32 PM
What's wrong with skulls and butterflys? Are they not meaningful?

Deni
10-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Ok I just got a new one this evening as a matter of fact I did it to myself. It was a cover up from my wild days. I have a few but you cant really see them unless I am making sure they are shown. All my tattoos mean something, more of a change I was going through a few years ago and now that I am almost at my goal then I will get one more. So let me see 2 on my left foot, one bigger one my daughter designed on my right foot, left ankle inside was the cover up I did this evening. # on my lower back . 2 on my neck. and one in places no one will ever see .

I think some are sexy and I love all mine. we have 3 great artist at my place. SO I am kinda proud. another one coming in tomorrow that does portraits.

rxis
10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
A friend of mine was a baseball player and he had muscular pecs and arms with Asian symbols. If I had his body type I would have gotten one by now.

ChristianConservative
10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
A big Democratic Donkey symbol on my a$$.

Curt
10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I just got another one last week...actually it was an addition to one I already have...I am trying to come up with something good for a third one and where to put it.

OneCrazyCowgirl
10-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I think that they're good looking in moderation, and definitely more attractive if they have a story/meaning behind them.

Honestly, it annoys me when people get a tattoo just to get a tattoo, because they just discovered it, or because they just turned 18 .. yadda yadda.

I have one. It's on my lower back - my horse's name in a really, really cool script. I love it, because not very much in this world means more to me than that horse, and I've put more blood, sweat, and tears into him, than anything thus far in my life.

TomGirl
10-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't have any tatoos and don't want one, but on some men?...oh yeh! Making sure they can be concealed for certain times is smart thinking. I don't care to see tatoos covering the skin on the neck, face, hands, etc. bringing it into everyones life 24/7, but off work, at home, the lake, the yard BBQing??? Yummy!

Curt
10-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Both of mine mean something to me and they are unique so no one else has the same thing...The lower back Tattoo on a girl to me is very sexy and even some other places as well but a girl with a lower back tattoo....MMMMMM very, very sexy

Midtowner
10-15-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm not a fan of tats at all. I'm also not a fan of any law restricting body mod. People should be allowed to make themselves look ridiculous if they so choose.

I'm a little torn on the self-amputation thing though (as this is becoming an actual issue). If I decide I want a peg-leg as part of a body mod, should I be allowed to apply for a handicap sticker? Disability payments?

JIMBO
10-15-2006, 08:44 PM
I won't hire anyone with pierced tongue. I consider this a self inflicted speech impediment.

bandnerd
10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Curt--

Did you know that a woman who has a tatoo on her lower back cannot receive an epidural during childbirth? I always found that little fact interesting.

Carry on.

Deni
10-16-2006, 03:37 AM
bandnerd that depends on the Dr. Most Dr's will do it because tattoos do not enter as deep as the 3 rd layer therefor it does not effect an epidural

Curt
10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
I never knew that about the epidural...I cant understand why that would affect anything I mean I had hand surgery and I have a tattoo on the same arm...LOL