View Full Version : Time to tear down another Building....Old Downtown Post Office

okclee
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Demolition Bids sought

The Oklahoma City Council voted Tuesday to solicit bids for the demolition of the old post office on SW 5. The former post office sits on land that will be used for the 70-acre park included in MAPS 3. It will be the first demolition project to clear land for the park. The city will receive bids on Nov. 16.

Read more: http://newsok.com/national-magazine-names-oklahoma-city-mayor-mick-cornett-public-official-of-the-year/article/3508356#ixzz13iITUUp2

betts
10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Now that's a building I won't miss seeing, and that's open space I can appreciate. It will be nice to see something starting to take shape in Core to Shore.

ljbab728
10-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Now that's a building I won't miss seeing, and that's open space I can appreciate. It will be nice to see something starting to take shape in Core to Shore.

I agree Betts. It's not a new building but no one could ever say it was anything historic. It's not ugly but has no particular architectural significance.

HOT ROD
10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
At first, I thought this thread meant tearing down the Old Post Office in the CBD. ... Freewwwwww!

I almost had a heart attack!

Yes, the Postal Sorting Center definitely will not be missed. It's demolition can be thought of as the 'first' visible step towards creating Central Park :)

ljbab728
10-28-2010, 11:41 PM
At first, I thought this thread meant tearing down the Old Post Office in the CBD. ... Freewwwwww!

Yes, the Postal Sorting Center definitely will not be missed. It's demolition can be thought of as the 'first' visible step towards creating Central Park :)

LOL, Hot Rod. This whole website would have had a heart attack if that had been suggested.

Spartan
10-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I too thought that "old downtown post office" meant "old downtown post office" lol.

OKCisOK4me
10-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Goooood! That ugly square thing just to the north of Union Station will be a nice place to take a pic of the Devon Tower from!

metro
10-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I agree Betts. It's not a new building but no one could ever say it was anything historic. It's not ugly but has no particular architectural significance.

Agreed, this will be an improvement, but I disagree it IS ugly.

LOL, Hot Rod. This whole website would have had a heart attack if that had been suggested.

I'm not aware that there is a historic downtown post office in the CBD, can someone please englighten me if there is.

Platemaker
10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
This is the historic post office, metro.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC/postoffice.jpg

metro
10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Plate.

wsucougz
10-29-2010, 09:35 AM
This is the historic post office, metro.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC/postoffice.jpg

What a terrible waste of a perfectly good plaza.

Pete
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Will be glad to see the 70's concrete monstrosity come down.

And looking forward to clear site lines to Union Station.

I bet the recently acquired Goodwill building (just to the north) won't be standing much longer, either.