View Full Version : Mayor Mick Cornett named Public Official of the Year.

okclee
10-28-2010, 09:06 PM
National magazine names Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett public official of the year
Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett will be featured on the November cover of Governing magazine.

BY BRYAN DEAN Oklahoman Comment on this article 0
Published: October 27, 2010

also ...

Magazine honors mayor

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett was named public official of the year Tuesday by Governing magazine. The magazine is considered the pre-eminent publication for state and local governments, officials said. Cornett will be on the cover of the magazine's November edition and will be featured in a story, headlined "The Placemaker," that will touch on his plan to put the city on a diet and MAPS 3, among other things

Read more: http://newsok.com/national-magazine-names-oklahoma-city-mayor-mick-cornett-public-official-of-the-year/article/3508356#ixzz13iI3c6yw

HOT ROD
10-28-2010, 11:34 PM
congrats to the Mayor. Keep up the good work.

I am interested in reading the electronic version if/when it is available.

kevinpate
10-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Placemaker, Bridgekiller, Tacomuncher ... a man of soo many talents

metro
10-29-2010, 08:58 AM
What office is Mick running for after Mayor? Congress or Gov?

stlokc
10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
If Cornett ever ran for a national office, I think it would be very curious. He's a Republican, yet many of the initiatives that have worked so well in OKC aren't 100% consistent with the rhetoric of the tea-party types. It's the Mitt Romney conundrum: health care worked in Massachusetts(?), but not appropriate nationally. Keeping taxes up a little for public investment good for OKC, but how dies that square with where the national GOP is? I think he would be better served by staying home and being a city elder-statesman a la Norick and Humphreys. Just my two cents.

metro
10-29-2010, 09:18 AM
You do realize he already ran for Mary Fallin's Congress seat a few years ago don't you? Lost bigtime. I think he'd be a good fit for the seat, far better than Fallin.

On another note, congrats to Mick for the award. It will be a benefit to OKC for the publicity.

adaniel
10-29-2010, 10:02 AM
If Cornett ever ran for a national office, I think it would be very curious. He's a Republican, yet many of the initiatives that have worked so well in OKC aren't 100% consistent with the rhetoric of the tea-party types. It's the Mitt Romney conundrum: health care worked in Massachusetts(?), but not appropriate nationally. Keeping taxes up a little for public investment good for OKC, but how dies that square with where the national GOP is? I think he would be better served by staying home and being a city elder-statesman a la Norick and Humphreys. Just my two cents.

I get the sense that when Mick ran for Congress, he had very tepid support from the state GOP establishment. Maybe because of some of his stances on taxes, MAP's, etc? Also, you could argue that Humphreys kind of fell into the same trap when he got trounced by Tom Coburn.

Without getting too political, the "chamber-of-commerce" conservatism you see in OKC just doesn't seem to fit well with the state or national conservative narrative right now, which suits me just fine. A better example of this would be Screwy Dewey up the turnpike.

MikeOKC
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Congratulations, Mayor Cornett.

LordGerald
10-29-2010, 02:37 PM
You do realize he already ran for Mary Fallin's Congress seat a few years ago don't you? Lost bigtime. I think he'd be a good fit for the seat, far better than Fallin.

On another note, congrats to Mick for the award. It will be a benefit to OKC for the publicity.

I'm not sure if "lost bigtime" is wholly accurate. He joined the race extremely late and did not have a lot of time to raise funds. I know that he gained the second most votes in a crowded race in the Republican primary. I would say that was pretty good for a late entry.

aintaokie
10-29-2010, 04:48 PM
The honor fit's the man, Mick Cornett is a good fella to have around in OKC.

Easy180
10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
The honor fit's the man, Mick Cornett is a good fella to have around in OKC.

Agreed...worked damn hard to bring the Durant crew to OKC which immediately enhanced our quality of life IMO

HOT ROD
10-29-2010, 11:28 PM
yep, I hope he sticks around OKC for our civic renaissance until somebody better comes.

Then, I want Cornett for Senate, talk about someone who will benefit OKC (and Oklahoma) and most likely will not use it for an "agenda" pulpit!

Larry OKC
10-30-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm not sure if "lost bigtime" is wholly accurate. He joined the race extremely late and did not have a lot of time to raise funds. I know that he gained the second most votes in a crowded race in the Republican primary. I would say that was pretty good for a late entry.
This is when I lost a lot of respect for Mr. Cornett. Thought he was a good councilman (voted against the Bass Pro deal and the naming rights to what became the Ford Center). Did a decent job, B+, as mayor (even with the Hornets gamble that could have cost the City $10M, that turned out ok as we actually saw a $1M+ profit). Voted for his reelection as mayor.

He was re-elected to a second term on 7 March 2006 by a 87.6% margin, the largest in city history.
On 11 May 2006, Cornett announced that he would be running to fill the seat in the United States House of Representatives vacated by Ernest Istook. On August 22, 2006, he faced Lt. Governor Mary Fallin in a GOP run-off election. Fallin won, and was elected to Congress in the general election.

That was just 2 months after his landslide reelection and IMO it went to his head. He should have done the same as Humphreys when he decided to run for the Senate, resign his position as Mayor.

Not sure on how late he entered the race for Congress but Fallin definitely beat him in the fund raising dept.

During the 2006 election cycle,
Fallin raised $1,734,537
Cornett raised $544,075

Not sure when Fallin announced her bid for Congress but if the seat was already open (Istook announced he would run for governor of Oklahoma against Democratic incumbent Brad Henry on October 3, 2005), Cornett probably would have run for it instead of rerunning for mayor.

Fallin did not seek re-election in 2006 as lieutenant governor, but ran for the 5th Congressional District seat being vacated by Ernest Istook, who ran for governor. In the July 25 GOP primary, she was the top vote-getter, receiving 35% of the vote. On August 22, 2006, she faced the second place finisher of the July primary Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett [3] in the GOP candidate runoff election, and won with 63% of the vote.
Cornett and Fallin were the top vote getters in the primary, but Fallin easily beat Cornett, almost by the same wide margin that Henry ended up beating Istook.

dankrutka
10-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Mick will have trouble winning in this state because we lean to the extreme right. The philosophy of smaller federal government/taxes has trickled down to lower taxes/smaller government at all levels - even the state and municipal level. Obviously, taxes and government are necessary for a city/state to prosper, but there is a delusion that the free market is the panacea for all problems. This philosophy is the reason Oklahoma has understaffed prisons, underfunded public schools and underpaid teachers, crumbling roads and bridges, and on and on... Mick would be for spending that is an investment in our cities/state like MAPs, public education, and so on. The Republicans that run this state like Fallin and Brogdon are okay with our an inadequate government because it fits the lower taxes philosophy. It's sad a reasonable person like Mick would not be "conservative" enough in today's ridiculous political environment.

HOT ROD
10-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Kilgore, maybe times are changing - Mick has excelled in running OKC and I think all he needs to do is run on that platform. I just hope he can wait for the right time, when a new mayor can take over at city hall and do an even better job AND okc people can vote and finally start running this state (since it is the biggest city).

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment, it seems as though this state is happy sending people to washington who do NOTHING for this state other than use their post to pass judgement, stall, or promote religious agendas. One day soon (hopefully) the people of OKC will rise up and send somebody who DEFINITELY will do what is best for OKC and this state - and that man is Mick Cornett!

I just think we may need to wait until we find an equal or better mayor AND weed out the freeks who keep voting for idiots Istook, Inhoff, Cobrun (?), and Fallin.

Jethrol
10-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Congrats Mick!!