View Full Version : The Heartland Versus the Coasts

mheaton76
10-26-2010, 10:29 AM
While OKC is not mentioned specifically in this article, this is a wonderfully well written piece on differing visions of urban development, and the type of cities, and regions that will thrive in the future. I actually see OKC's economic development containing elements of both visions.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2010/10/americas-future-the-heartland-versus-the-coasts/65162/

stlokc
10-26-2010, 11:53 AM
That is an excellent, fascinating article. Thanks for sharing!

Seems to me that there is no reason a thriving city can't have elements of both "futures." Chicago has a downtown culture and vast, wide suburbs. Dozens of other cities, including, increasingly, OKC, play host to both Kotkin's and Florida's visions.

BDP
10-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I haven't read the article yet, but I think there can be an advantage for a city like Oklahoma City in the future in that, if supported and done properly, it can offer many differing lifestyles out of design and not just out of necessity as it is in the more mature cities and on the coasts. We can develop an urban option here to build on our vast inventory of suburban living choices. The advantage is that these urban options, and the unique services they provide, can be much more accessible for suburban dwellers than they are in larger more congested markets. So the opportunity to "have it all" and have it conveniently is immense. Of course, it will take coordinated efforts, clear and focused vision, and the willingness of the community to work together and see the benefits of diversifying the options without letting the "what's in it for me directly" attitude compromise the process. The reality is that we all benefit from a stronger city and a stronger community that is attractive and accessible to people with varying perspectives on what makes a city livable.

Reggie Jet
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Great article! And concerning density and economic revival, here's another good read...

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2026474_2026675,00.html