View Full Version : More great PR via the Thunder

Pete
10-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Wanted to make sure people saw this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/roidhobbs/adurant.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1176118/index.htm

Kevin Durant bows his head, raises his hand, and a franchise circles him like a maypole: teammates, of course, but also coaches and trainers, the general manager and assistant general manager, the scouting coordinator and communications director, folks from the video room and the equipment room, guys from the Development League affiliate in Tulsa and undrafted free agents who won't even make it that far. They try to reach the 6'9" Durant's outstretched hand, but no one can, so they settle for the wrist or the elbow or the space around him. They are too tired to lift their arms for long. "One, two, three, family," Durant says, in a haggard breath. "Family," the group pants back, in unison. Then they walk together across the field, over the ditch and up the Hill for the last time.

The Hill, as it is known to the Thunder, is a misnomer. Central Oklahoma does not really have hills, but it does have floods, which require drainage basins the size of parking lots. Run up the side of a basin and you might as well be scaling a sand dune. Twice a week every September, when NBA teams are technically still on vacation, most of the Thunder meet early in the morning at the practice facility, pile into pickup trucks and roll into a brick subdivision alongside a creek in nearby Edmond, Okla. The basin that borders the creek has been covered with grass, lined with sycamore trees and turned into a neighborhood park. The smell of fertilizer hangs in the air. Residents walk their dogs and wonder if summer will ever give way to fall. They look down at their park and shrug at the sight of professional athletes racing each other 60 feet up steep inclines while tossing medicine balls in the sky. "They're just part of our backyard now," says Angela Vaughn, who lives in a house across from the park.

Durant was not supposed to run the Hill this year. Only 21, the silky small forward led the U.S. to its first gold medal in 16 years at the world championships in Turkey, took one day off and was back at the Oklahoma City practice facility before his bosses even knew he was in the country. When he woke on the final Wednesday before training camp—the last time the Thunder would head for the Hill—he only felt like shooting. "Then I thought about it for a minute, and I couldn't do that to my guys," Durant says. "It wouldn't have been fair to them." The Hill does not afford preferential treatment. Front-office executives drop their Blackberries, swap dress clothes for practice gear and run suicides. Entry-level assistants join them. When they are all sufficiently gassed, they head back to the pickup trucks, Durant sneaking a spot in a bed before coaches wisely point him to a passenger seat.

One superteam has been built in a Miami boardroom. Another is being built in a prairie basin. The Thunder plays in the smallest market in the league (the population is 560,000), has the sixth-lowest payroll in the league ($50.3 million) and less than two years ago was on pace for the worst record in the league's history. The team started 3--29 in 2008--09, losing five games in the last six seconds, and coach Scott Brooks would stay up until dawn trying to think of something positive to say. The best he could do sometimes? "We're not losers." He was proved right last season, when the Thunder leaped from 23 wins to 50. Durant became the youngest scoring champion ever, Brooks the coach of the year, Russell Westbrook the must-see point guard. The Thunder bore the unofficial title Most Fun Team, sold out 31 games at the 18,203-seat Ford Center, nearly doubled its local television ratings and did it with leading scorers who were 21, 21 and 23. Duke's were 22, 21 and 21 when it won the national championship last April.

Oklahoma City's style was up-tempo but down-home. During the first-round playoff series against the Lakers, the players would forgo their charter bus ride after practices at Santa Monica High and stroll down Pico Boulevard to their hotel, even the ones with ice packs on their knees. But their finest moment followed another excruciating loss, in Game 6 to L.A., when Durant grabbed his teammates before they could leave the Ford Center floor, huddled them at half-court and said, "This will make us better." Then, as a legion of his peers bailed on big cities for bigger ones, apparently great situations for greater ones, he signed a five-year, $85 million extension. The deal was completed while Durant was at the Orlando summer league, sitting on the bench to support Thunder rookies and second-year players.

"Things happen in Oklahoma City that don't happen anywhere else in the league," says Kevin Ollie, who played for 11 teams, most recently the Thunder last season, and is now an assistant coach at UConn. "I've never seen a group of guys who are more in love with each other. The only question is whether it can last."

Durant left Texas in 2007, after his freshman year, and shortly into his rookie season in Seattle he feared he had made a mistake. The Sonics were a veteran team, a divided team, and Durant did not even know where they all lived. "I wanted to go back to college," he says. When the franchise moved to Oklahoma City the following summer, he saw an opportunity to re-create college in the NBA, with a hoops-heavy schedule to match: Go to practice, go to Wing Stop, then go home and play video games with a half-dozen teammates until bedtime. The next day, do it all over again at somebody else's house. "You can get 100 wings here for less than 100 bucks," Durant says. "Good deal, huh?"

Some Thunder players resent that they are seen as a college team, given that they are widely projected to finish second in the Western Conference this season, that Kobe Bryant referred to them during last postseason as "bad mother-------," that one prominent basketball writer suggested they all be sent to the 2012 Olympics to represent the U.S. as a group. "It's time to move on," says forward Jeff Green, 24, but it would be easier to believe him if he were not wearing Georgetown sweats and still taking classes at the university via phone and e-mail. Preserving the Thunder's collegiate culture may be more important now than ever, to help maintain the players' camaraderie and humility despite increased acclaim.

"It might be harder in Miami, New York or L.A. because there are more temptations," says Durant, who, like most of his teammates, is single. "That's why, every day I wake up, I feel blessed to play here." Teams often leave their home base in training camp and head for smaller cities, to bond in relative seclusion. The Thunder essentially does that all season. Every day is a retreat. "You don't really have a social life here," says guard James Harden. "You don't go out a lot. You just focus on basketball and each other." In that way and more, Oklahoma City has done as much to develop the Thunder as the Thunder has done to develop Oklahoma City.

Seven players file into a dimly lit room with gray carpet and a low-slung ceiling on the third floor of the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum in late September. They squeeze on to a narrow bench pressed against the back wall. The space has been designed to replicate the hearing room in the basement of the Water Resources Board building that used to be across the street. On a table in the front of the room is a tape recorder, playing a hearing that began at 9 a.m. on April 19, 1995. A man is petitioning to bottle groundwater from his property and sell it. Two minutes into the hearing there's an explosion, followed by sounds of breaking glass and cries for help. Lights flicker, the room in the memorial goes dark, and the faces of the 168 who died in the bombing of the Alfred R. Murrah Federal Building are illuminated on the wall. Two of them, five-year-old Aaron Coverdale and his younger brother, Elijah, catch the eye of guard Eric Maynor. Later, Maynor stares at a glass case holding Aaron's Transformers and Elijah's toy cars, shaking his head.

"You all are a part of this story," the tour guide, Joanne Riley, tells the players. "You are a testimony to how this whole city can rise like a phoenix from the ashes."

When the team moved from Seattle to Oklahoma City, general manager Sam Presti wanted all his players to tour the memorial before their first open practice. Now every new player is taken to the memorial, usually in the weeks leading up to training camp, and sometimes more than once. When guard Royal Ivey came to Oklahoma City for his free-agent visit this summer, he asked Presti about the crowd at the Ford Center, how such a small market generates the most noise in the NBA. The fans have become a source of curiosity around the league, for painting their chests like frat boys, standing for long stretches and commencing a 20-minute ovation for the team three seconds after the season-ending loss to the Lakers. Presti ushered Ivey to the memorial. "It took my breath away," Ivey says. "After that I called my agent. I wanted to be a part of this."

The Ford Center is only a mile from the memorial, but it is more closely connected than that. In the years following the bombing, the political landscape in Oklahoma City underwent a radical shift. A traditionally conservative constituency voted for every tax initiative put on the ballot. It didn't matter whether the initiative was for parks or sidewalks or an arena, Oklahoma City always voted to tax itself. "Every time," says Mayor Mick Cornett. "It was unprecedented." In March 2008, with the Sonics' move hanging on the outcome, 62% of voters passed an initiative to extend a 1% sales tax that would pay for a $100 million renovation of the Ford Center and a $21 million practice facility. A month later they had their team, a chance to tell the nation they were back, in full throat. "The genesis of it all is still April 19, 1995," says Steven Taylor, vice chief justice of the Oklahoma state supreme court, who sentenced Terry Nichols to 161 consecutive life terms for his role in the bombing. "The Thunder is just the latest building block." In the doorway to his chambers Taylor keeps a framed photo of Durant and Green, staggering off the court to a raucous ovation after Game 6 last April. They appear to be leaning on each other.

The Thunder has been built according to what Taylor calls "the Oklahoma model," the opposite of the quick fix. Durant, Westbrook and Harden were top five draft choices. Green was another top five pick who came from the Celtics for Ray Allen. But Presti's masterstroke was sending forward Rashard Lewis to the Magic in a sign-and-trade in July 2007 that brought back an $8 million trade exception and a second-round draft choice. It did not sound like much at the time, but Presti sent the exception and the draft choice to the Suns for two future first-round picks and Kurt Thomas, whom he then flipped to the Spurs for another future first-rounder. One of those picks was traded to the Bulls for defensive stopper Thabo Sefolosha, another was spent on budding power forward Serge Ibaka, the third on rookie center Cole Aldrich of Kansas. The cap space helped in acquiring center Nenad Krstic and Maynor.

Presti is 33, wears glasses and comes from Concord, Mass., but he was not hatched from the same laptop as many of baseball's wonder-boy G.M.'s. He researches backgrounds and personalities as much as advanced metrics. Most Thunder players fit a similar profile—or, as Harden puts it, "It's kind of weird that we're all the same." They tend to come from highly successful college programs, or at least programs that were highly successful when they were there. They are devoted to defense. And they don't think too highly of themselves. The front office fell for Westbrook when he reported 30 minutes early to a predraft workout. They liked Harden in part because he did not mind deferring to Durant. This year they spent a second-round pick on Ryan Reid, who scored only 6.8 points per game as a senior at Florida State. But the Seminoles allowed the lowest field goal percentage in the country, and Reid was their best post defender. The Thunder had to have him, even though no other team so much as worked him out.

Players like Reid are a crucial part of the Oklahoma model, which values hard labor in the face of long odds. For a franchise to succeed in a minuscule market, it cannot appeal only to hoops junkies; it must also resonate with the most casual fans. The Thunder has to remain a civic cause the way the Hornets were in 2006--07, when they fled New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and found a temporary home in front of sellout crowds at the Ford Center. So far the Thunder has unified a sports scene that was forever divided between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State fans, selling more than 13,000 season-ticket packages this year, among the top five in the NBA.

The Thunder might need one more spot-up shooter and defensive-minded post player to win the West, but that does not mean Presti will be pursuing either. After all, he was $12 million under the cap heading into the summer, and the team didn't pursue a single big-name free agent. The franchise thinks in terms of development more than destination. Bringing in another shooter could have stunted Harden's development, as another big man could have stunted Ibaka's and Aldrich's. Besides, the team will need the cash later, when it is time to extend Westbrook or Green or both. The Thunder must hope that the loyalty it has shown will be reciprocated, the way it was with Durant, and the way it was not with so many other stars this summer.

Why is there so much venom toward them?" asks one Thunder player, and it is obvious whom he is talking about. Perhaps the answer is just old-fashioned jealousy, the player speculates, because why should LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh get to win big and live in Miami? Or perhaps it is something else old-fashioned, the notion that true champions lose before they win, and genuine friendships are forged through struggle. There is a reason that Justice Taylor hung in his chambers a portrait of defeat and the defiance that followed. "I think the average fan can relate to us," Durant says, "because we were at the bottom."

They are the organic superteam, farm to table, with 24 appearances coming up on national television, after being scheduled for only three the past two years combined. Durant was MVP of the world championships and is the emerging MVP of the NBA, but when he walks into the Thunder practice facility, you'd swear he is still 3--29. He has come to view that mark as a badge more than a blemish, and should he win his championship, the experience will surely be more intense because he had to suffer for it.

Durant is interested not in being pitted as a counterpoint to the Heat, or to his peers, only in playing ball and running hills and eating wings and firing up another video game in a house full of noisy teammates. He ponders how his carefully crafted lifestyle will change if they all ever get married and have children. "Lots of uncles," he says.

More family.

HOT ROD
10-21-2010, 12:57 PM
OKC is NOT the smallest market in the league and the quoted 560,000 is OKC's city population, not it's metro or media market population. ....

if you look at city population, there are a number of cities smaller (Salt Lake, New Orleans, Portland, Denver (?), Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland (?) - all have smaller city populations). OKC's metro is 1.3 million. I believe OKC's media market is near 750K and it's media coverage area is 2.5 million. The Thunder's local; catchment is more than just the state.

This article, while good for promoting OKC and the Thunder, is very misleading with the facts in trying to paint OKC as a pudunk smallest market. ...

Bigrayok
10-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I get tired of reading about the Thunder's small media market. I remember when the owners came to Oklahoma City before the move was approved, the New Jersey Nets owner mentioned that 20% of of season ticket sales for the Hornets when they were here came from Tulsa. He realized the Thunder's market was larger than what is often reported. People come from all over Oklahoma and even southern Kansas to see Thunder games. I do not know the Thunder's televison viewing audience but I bet the televison market is larger than the 45th largest that I often see quoted. Can people in Tulsa watch Thunder games on television? How much of the state of 3 million or so people can see Thunder games on televison?

I do salute the author of the article for a nice article about the team and the city.

Bigray in Ok

MustangGT
10-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I recall our DMA is in the high forties like 45th-48th largest media market.

Thundercitizen
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
You'll also enjoy this short audio clip from senior Sports Illustrated writer, Lee Jenkins, who spent time in OKC evaluating the team and it's relationship to OKC:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/si-podcasts/2010/10/20/101810.inside_sports_illustrated_jenkins.SportsIll ustrated/#

okcpulse
10-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Great article, but here is the problem. The national media is getting too hung up on selling their story of a successful NBA team in a teency-weency market. I am not asking writers to play the role of a C of C rep, but in a nation where misinformation is a festering epidemic, you've got to do some research. While readers could care less the actual size of Oklahoma City, small talk is viral. And small talk is now an iron-clad way of sharing information, regardless of the scope of the subject.

I have been asked several times if Oklahoma City could support the Thunder in such a small market. When I mention the metro population of OKC, people are typically surprised. One of my colleagues thought OKC was about the same size as Des Moines. Why? Because a local Houston media beat on the Thunder reported "in a metro area with just half a million" when describing OKC. Another complex the national media has is the lack of ability to make the connection that Edmond is a suburb of Oklahoma City and not "nearby Edmond" or "Edmond, a small town just outside of Oklahoma City", as described by Ellen Degenres when she brought Greyson Chance on the show.

after the 1999 tornado Moore was described as a rural farming community by CNN. Sport Illustrated thinks Norman is a seperate city, 30 minutes AWAY from Oklahoma City. Yet I hear narratives all the time talk "the suburbs of Kansas City" or "the suburbs of New Orleans".

So what happens the day Oklahoma City burgeons and is no longer a "small market"? We won't be a small market forever.

Otherwise, very great article.

MustangGT
10-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Too many in the national media we are nothing more than flyover country. Until that changes...

okcpulse
10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Too many in the national media we are nothing more than flyover country. Until that changes...

Why do you think I have little respect for the national media when it comes to doing their homework? Thinking Oklahoma is fly-over country can be a personal opinion. But opinions like that do not belong in the professional world. These people wouldn't last ten seconds in a think tank.

MustangGT
10-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Why do you think I have little respect for the national media when it comes to doing their homework? Thinking Oklahoma is fly-over country can be a personal opinion. But opinions like that do not belong in the professional world. These people wouldn't last ten seconds in a think tank.

I agree that it does not belong, but the reality is that it does and must be dealt with.

okcpulse
10-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Very true

OKCRT
10-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Someone needs to let them know that OKC metro is 1.3 mil.

The way the article reads it sounds like OKC is Little Rock or somewhere like that. OKC metro is larger than SLC-Memphis-New Orleans- and real close to Milwaukee. I could prob. come up with another 1 or 2 but the point is,OKC is NOT the smallest market in the NBA. It pizzes me off when I keep seeing that over and over. Just get the facts straight for christ sake!

HOT ROD
10-21-2010, 08:02 PM
exactly my point RT. There are a number of NBA cities that are smaller in population, metro population, and media market (and combinations thereof).

People need to be consistent and they need to be fair. Truth be told, OKC's media market only includes Central and "PART" of Western Oklahoma. It does not include the entire Southern portion of the state. This is why the DMA is 45. If we had better coverage, we'd probably be in the mid 30's.

Im not sure why they carve OKC up that way but perhaps this is something the city/state should address - particularly since the state now hosts a pro team and the team is representative of the state, not just the city.

Salt Lake beats OKC in media, but that is because they have the entire state. Yet there are other cities there. Similarly, Portland. We all know almost everything Oklahoma flows through or concerns Oklahoma City, so I think the media market should include most of the state, carving out Tulsa area, the panhandle, and 'maybe' Lawton/Wichita Falls.

dmoor82
10-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Outside of MIA,Bos,LAL OKC is THE MOST talked about team in The NBA!You cant buy this kinda PR!I am very tired of OKC being called the smallest market in the leaugue!!OKC is a city on The RISE!

Platemaker
10-22-2010, 05:35 PM
People need to be consistent and they need to be fair. Truth be told, OKC's media market only includes Central and "PART" of Western Oklahoma. It does not include the entire Southern portion of the state. This is why the DMA is 45. If we had better coverage, we'd probably be in the mid 30's.

Maybe Lawton/Wichita Falls... I'm from Altus... it's weird there because we get two versions of all the networks. It's technically in the Lawton/Wichita Falls media market with the following channels

KFDX-TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFDX-TV) Channel 3 (NBC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC))
KAUZ-TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAUZ-TV) Channel 6 (CBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS))
KSWO-TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSWO-TV) Channel 7 (ABC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company))
KJTL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJTL) Channel18 (Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Broadcasting_Company))

The only station listed that is NOT in Wichita Falls is the ABC affiliate. All those stations really love to use the 'Texoma' nickname but I bet the vast majority of people north of the Red River tune into OKC stations and occasionally the the Lawton ABC affiliate.

dismayed
10-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Overall I thought this was a really good article. I'm with you guys, I often tire of them talking about the metro only being 500k, and no one else has mentioned it but at times it bothers me that April 19th is pointed to as the catalyst event for all things OKC, but from a writing-standpoint I see what they're doing. They are really trying to tell a story about an underdog team in a city that was just as much an underdog a few years ago, but both are now rising to new heights above and beyond what they ever were before. From a storytelling standpoint it really is quite poetic and will probably resonate greatly with Americans all across the country and from a marketing standpoint do us a lot of good.

HOT ROD
10-22-2010, 10:42 PM
I agree too dismayed, I just wish they would write the story correctly!

Maybe the city needs a PR department now, to make sure the stories about OKC are correct and consistent!

ljbab728
10-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I agree too dismayed, I just wish they would write the story correctly!

Maybe the city needs a PR department now, to make sure the stories about OKC are correct and consistent!

Even if the city had a PR department I doubt that the writer of the article would have consulted them first. He was probably under a deadline and wasn't necessarily worried about confirming all of his facts.

Doug Loudenback
10-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Does size really matter, or is recognition of and for quality that counts the most?

The November 2010 ESPN Magazine which I got in the mail yesterday also has Kevin Durant on its cover, along with 2 other guys ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/okcthunder/espn_2010_11_cover.jpg

ESPN is owned by the Walt Disney Company and that company bought Marvel Entertainment in 2009. The issue contains ESPN's NBA Preview with not too many words but the issue presents a full page Marvel-esque rendering for each of the 30 NBA teams. After a 2-page article called "Power Moves" which mainly discusses the LeBron James and Chris Bosh moves to Miami, and a 1 page "Master Works" piece (in which a real-time photo of Russell Westbrook is shown by ESPN writer's David Thorpe as being his "Breakout Player"), the comic book section containing images for each team begins.

The pages are organized by Eastern and Western Conferences and are ordered by ESPN's precedence of, predictions for, teams within each conference. The drawings are large, about 7" wide x 10 1/2" high ... if you've not seen a copy of ESPN Magazine, it is a 12" high x 9 3/4" wide magazine, quite a large layout for a magazine. A very brief thumbnail note about each team appears in the slender sidebar margin which accompanies each drawing.

The sequence begins with the Western Conference.

The "West 1" page shows the Lakers and has an Ironman-like-caricature of Kobe Bryant. No surprise there.

The next page is "West 2" which bears the image shown below ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/okcthunder/espn_2010_11_durant.jpg

The sidebar thumbnail note reads,

HAMMER TIME

Back in 2007, Marvel wanted to relaunch the story for Thor, the hammer-wielding hero who wreaks meteorological havoc. They settled on ... Oklahoma? "We [Marvel Comics] wanted a larger-than-life being next to small-town Americans," says Marvel VP and exec editor Axel Alonso. Pretty prescient. A year later, Kevin Durant and the Sonics relaunched in OKC. In 2009, the 50-win Thunder made the playoffs -- with the NBA's freshest squad, its average age weighted by the players' minutes was only 23.2. That's one reason why they'll keep making noise.

So, WHAT IF we are characterized as "small-town," does it really matter when our team immediately follows big-city Los Angeles? What matters is that, whether we are characterized as large, medium, or small as cities go, we are ranked as among the best, the elite.

As national familiarity with Oklahoma City grows, as it has obviously done over the past few or several years, a more accurate picture of the city will continue to emerge whether it has to do with size or with quality of life.

In the Western Conference, #3-15 order of precedence was:

#3 Dallas Mavericks, #4 Utah Jazz, #5 Portland Trail Blazers, #6 San Antonio Spurs, #7 New Orleans Hornets, #8 Phoenix Sun, #9 Memphis Grizzlies, #10 Los Angeles Clippers, #11 Houston Rockets, #12 Denver Nuggets, #13 Sacramento Kings, #14 Golden State (Oakland/SF) Warriors, and, bringing up the rear, the #15 Minnestota (Minneapolis/St. Paul) Timberwolves.

My thought? Take the kudos that come our way and don't be thin-skinned or even care about size remarks. That will take care of itself. When in such company and ranked 2nd in the class after the Lakers (and not to mention the 15 teams in the Eastern Conference), does size matter?

Only if you believe some of the penile-enhancement commercials, or maybe your ex-wife.

Off topic, but just throwing this in for you OU fans, here's the characterization of the #10 Clippers ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/okcthunder/espn_2010_11_griffin.jpg

HOT ROD
10-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Doug, I think size DOES matter - because by reporting OKC being the smallest and only half million metro; it further plays into people's mental perception that there isn't anything to do in OKC or OKC doesn't deserve to be a Tier II city. Those who think it doesn't matter have your heads in the sand or never get out of OKC much. ....

I remember for the longest time, OKC got short changed for being under 500,000 as a city. Close, but still not there and that was used to JUSTIFY not having this or that in OKC. Now, OKC is well above 500K and well over 1.3 million in metro - so there SHOULD be no more excuses. But people are still reporting OKC being no bigger than Des Moines, Omaha, or Little Rock. ... Why can't people report what OKC really IS? Isn't that also a good story?

OKC has had a lot of pitfalls, but look at the steady growth AND their successfully hosting an NBA team. ... Im sure, if numbers and facts were correctly written that might help assist in OKC's getting retail options. If the story was written correctly, OKC being the 3rd or 4th smallest market (depending upon the metric used) in a CITY of 560K (or better yet, Metro of 1.3 million), AND having a successful NBA franchise - that makes people around the nation/world think much more highly about OKC being a member of the club of big cities. Some might even think, hey - why don't we look into having our store in OKC or why aren't we in OKC. ...

(dont believe me? it has happened for Omaha - much smaller city and metro than OKC).

I really think the city needs a PR department, just to make sure the numbers and INFORMATION about OKC are consistent and correct. Every other big city has one.

bluedogok
10-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Even if the city had a PR department I doubt that the writer of the article would have consulted them first. He was probably under a deadline and wasn't necessarily worried about confirming all of his facts.
If you look up "Oklahoma City Population" that is the number that comes back.

Lee Jenkins (Bio (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/lee_jenkins/archive/index.html)) is a writer from San Diego who has worked mostly in LA and NYC, with a short stint in Denver. I just don't think people from those type of locales really understand the city/metro dynamic in areas outside of those because the base city is so large that the metro area seems insignificant to them. Just more of that big city/coastal bias that is so prevalent in sports reporting. If journalists really gave thought to the issue the TV market ranking/size would be more appropriate but I don't expect them to, because the "small town" story is hot in their minds right now since they come from metros of 19 million (NYC Metro) and almost 13 million (LA Metro).

Doug Loudenback
10-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Hot Rod, my point is that perception will change as life goes on and the Thunder (and Devon Tower) and continued good press about what is going on here (and which will hopefully continue during my lifetime) will help very nicely with that. Changing perceptions takes time. Have you ever looked up the population of St. Louis or Cincinnati? St. Louis "city" 2009 population is shown as 356,587 even though MSA is 2,828,990; Cincinnati "city" population is shown as 333,200 even though MSA population is 2,155,137.

That said, I still maintain that size isn't everything, or even that important a thing, not even close to the perception and matched reality of the quality of life in a city. As the city's national exposure continues, the "small" perception will go away somewhat ... even though I have no expectation (or desire) for Okc to become a really really huge megalopolis. Part of Okc's charm is that it is NOT such a thing. I would say the same thing about Salt Lake City, by the way.

cdbthunder
10-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Hot Rod, my point is that perception will change as life goes on and the Thunder (and Devon Tower) and continued good press about what is going on here (and which will hopefully continue during my lifetime) will help very nicely with that. Changing perceptions takes time. Have you ever looked up the population of St. Louis or Cincinnati? St. Louis "city" 2009 population is shown as 356,587 even though MSA is 2,828,990; Cincinnati "city" population is shown as 333,200 even though MSA population is 2,155,137.

That said, I still maintain that size isn't everything, or even that important a thing, not even close to the perception and matched reality of the quality of life in a city. As the city's national exposure continues, the "small" perception will go away somewhat ... even though I have no expectation (or desire) for Okc to become a really really huge megalopolis. Part of Okc's charm is that it is NOT such a thing. I would say the same thing about Salt Lake City, by the way.

I couldn't agree with you more and all excellent points Doug.

HOT ROD
10-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree Doug, but we arent Cincy or StL.

Everybody with a brain on their heads know that those two cities are mid-large big cities and have always been. NOBODY quotes STL's or Cincy's actual city population. ....

OKC, OTOH - is new to this club. We have long been "shorted" with people seeminly looking for smaller numbers to justify keeping OKC - OUT of the club of big cities. I agree that the Thunder will and has already given OKC creedence (sp?) but the more the press quotes the small stuff the less influential the Thunder will be in solidifying OKC as a Tier II market.

We have all been complaining why OKC has such a hard time getting national retailers. The excuse they always use is demographics. This is EASY when the media uses 550K for OKC's metro. I say again - in the real world, nobody uses central city population. NOBODY says Seattle as 580K, EVERYBODY says Seattle is a 3.5 million city - which in reality also includes Tacoma's metro and Seattle's. But people and the media commonly say 3.5 M is Seattle.

Why are they not consistent when saying for OKC? It hurts OKC when they say 550K and smallest media market in the league and stuff - prefacing the up and rising OKC Thunder.

It would be a MUCH BETTER statement if they instead would say, "OKC Thunder is an up and coming NBA team in a 1.3M metro/city that happens to be the league's 3rd smallest market." That makes people think more highly about OKC and that it DESERVES to have a team and national retail presence.

I have to be correct, otherwise OKC would not have problems attracting. .... Get a PR department.

HOT ROD
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
as for SLC, the media NEVER uses it's city population - they always use either the metro (which is ALSO smaller than OKC) or the media market (which is the whole state).

I think they need to be consistent and WE can help by getting a PR department to make sure the numbers and facts are at least available and the message is consistent (just like they do in other cities).

earlywinegareth
10-25-2010, 08:48 AM
The article also says central OK has no hills, which isn't the case if you are east of I-35. Oh well, what can you expect from sports journalists? Hey, it's still good pub.

bluedogok
10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
The article also says central OK has no hills, which isn't the case if you are east of I-35. Oh well, what can you expect from sports journalists? Hey, it's still good pub.
These people who think there are no hills in OKC need to ride a bicycle around, I guarantee you I seemed to find hills everywhere at times that I didn't want them :doh:

HOT ROD
10-26-2010, 02:05 AM
even downtown OKC has SOME rolling hills.

Drive down I-235 from Edmond, dont you go up and down (ie doesn't the OKC skyline go up and down as you drive south. ....) - aren't you driving on hills?

It is good to get OKC in the press, but I really am sick and tired of people prepetuating what isn't reality. It seems as though writers are still LOOKING for negatives about OKC even though their overall message is positive mostly. I mean, did he expect OKC to be like SF or Denver or did he not realize he was in the middle of the country ....

And Wichita is without hills (not that it makes ICT bad or anything), OKC has rolling hills in MOST of the town, everywhere goes up and down.

Larry OKC
10-26-2010, 03:26 AM
These people who think there are no hills in OKC need to ride a bicycle around, I guarantee you I seemed to find hills everywhere at times that I didn't want them :doh:

Exactly...or see how many hills you notice during the next ice storm and you are trying to get your car to stop at the intersection LOL