View Full Version : This thread will piss off everybody on OKC Talk (except swake)

Pages : [1] 2

Steve
10-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Step 1.
Post link at OKC Talk - http://www.dailylobo.com/index.php/article/2010/10/disenchanted_visit_oklahoma_city

Step 2.
Watch OKC Talk tear an (allegedly) idiotic loser of a college newspaper writer apart.

Step 3.
Sit back, enjoy the show.

Step 4.
Save writer's name to search on Google in four years and check to see which McDonald's he's working at.

okclee
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Lol!!

therondo
10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Sounds to me like someone got a saguaro cactus shoved up his ass. Such a sad bitter jerk!!!

PennyQuilts
10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
It doesn't piss me off, Steve. I'm focusing on that he is there and not here (except on fall break) and that is cause for happiness. Anyone with that much angst probably needs a girlfriend and a job. Poor kid may be coming back home to Oklahoma after school due to failure to find a job elsewhere. Perhaps he will stay in his parents' basement where its more comfy and we won't have to see him on the mean streets of OKC. <vbg>

okclee
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm sending this out pure internet GOLD!!

kevinpate
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Stan, keep an eye on Steve. he's scoping out yer turf dude.

jmarkross
10-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Odd article on Albuquerque and OKC. Anyone who has been to this place where the lawns look like the Moonscape...might find it as amusing as I did.

semisimple
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
If any of you have been to Albuquerque, you know how big of a joke this must seem.

I did an internship in Albuquerque once--and that was the last time I hope to ever go back. The city is depressing. It feels small, too. There are only two freeways through the city and with a bus system that makes OKC's look good, getting around is difficult only because you're mostly stuck on 45 mph arterial streets to really get anywhere.

Overall, OKC's downtown has it all over Albuquerque's. "Old Town," the pride and joy of ABQ, is better than Bricktown but that's not saying much. Everything else about their downtown is depressing. You never feel like you're in a big city because the collection of office buildings along NW Expressway is larger than ABQ's downtown.

The Central Avenue that the author references is OK, but only because of the university nearby. The nearby "Nob Hill" area nearby is like any other quasi-urban yuppie neighborhood but with ugly architecture. There are indeed some good local establishments to be found. But these trendy areas have one major caveat--they butt up against a deeply impoverished gangland, which tends to spoil the allure of living there. I personally wouldn't want a 12-foot fence around my yard, but I saw 'em there.

The only thing ABQ definitely has better than OKC is shopping and dining options (i.e., national chain stores), but that's hardly enough to compensate for everything else that sucks about Albuquerque.

metro
10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Step 1.
Post link at OKC Talk - http://www.dailylobo.com/index.php/article/2010/10/disenchanted_visit_oklahoma_city

Step 2.
Watch OKC Talk tear an (allegedly) idiotic loser of a college newspaper writer apart.

Step 3.

Step 4.
Save writer's name to search on Google in four years and check to see which McDonald's he's working at.

what's with the negative talk

semisimple
10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
By the way--I would prefer to live somewhere that is at risk for tornadoes than somewhere where it literally rains mud (from all the dust and dirt in the air). I expected the sandstorms but mud rain was incredibly depressing to see.

TaoMaas
10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Obviously the women of OKC wouldn't give this guy the time of day when he was here and now he's bitter about it. Why else would someone write such a lame rant? You can tell he's a college kid...a good burrito is his idea of fine dining. LOL

Spartan
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Step 1.

Step 2.

Step 3.

Step 4.

Don't you mean Burger King? He specifically says he doesn't like McDonald's. I think it's something about their burritos not being to his liking.

Steve
10-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I meant McDonalds.

Spartan
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I just think Mr. Quintana would be much more comfortable working at Taco Bell after OKC Talk posters ruin his journalism career once the number of comments on that article are 100+ and this thread goes to 10 pages.

(Just kidding. I'm sure he's got a bright future ahead of him, seems like an intelligent person, capable of critical thinking, and made some adept points if you ask me.)

Bah humbug! Get him!!!

Steve
10-20-2010, 04:51 PM
xx

Kerry
10-20-2010, 05:03 PM
There has to be a girl involved in this somehow.

dmoor82
10-20-2010, 05:16 PM
What a BS story!!!!!Make's this so called writer look like a complete Jack A**,Funny though!

OKCisOK4me
10-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes, I left my response (it's the one in all caps, lol).

OKCisOK4me
10-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't you mean Burger King? He specifically says he doesn't like McDonald's. I think it's something about their burritos not being to his liking.

I believe he'll end up at Pink Taco...

jmarkross
10-20-2010, 06:12 PM
My bet would be FLOOKY'S...if they have one somewhere still...

Spartan
10-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Because I'm sure Chris would love some feedback, here is some helpful contact info:
Glenda R. Balas, Chair and Associate Professor of the communications and journalism department:
505-277-1905, gbalas@unm.edu

You might also be interested in the identity of the NMU president

http://www.unm.edu/president/

Wow, you're really trying to egg this on, aren't you?

jmarkross
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Another Nancy Grace in the making? ^^

Steve
10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Nah, I've always been a troublemaker.

Dustin
10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
LOL! He's obviously never actually been here.. Or if he has, he already had a vision of what this city would be like before he left Albuquerque. Which is "Well, its gonna suck there because its not here." And instead of pointing out the good things, he focused on the things he didn't like..

wsucougz
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Because I'm sure Chris would love some feedback, here is some helpful contact info:
Glenda R. Balas, Chair and Associate Professor of the communications and journalism department:
505-277-1905 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************505-277-1905******end_of_the_skype_highlighting, gbalas@unm.edu

You might also be interested in the identity of the NMU president

http://www.unm.edu/president/

Really?

Steve
10-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Ah heck... I'm at home with a bad cold. If my mischievous side is a bit out of whack, just forgive me and write it off as a bit of nasal dementia.

Spartan
10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I think he moved to UNM because he's originally from NM?

Matt
10-20-2010, 08:23 PM
You know what? Screw calling about this guy. Screw e-mailing, and screw leaving comments on the article. I say we kill this dude. For real. I am all up for taking a road trip out to the Land of Enchantment and showing this guy what it's like. Nobody says what he said about my city and gets away with it. Nobody.

Who's with me?

Steve
10-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Matt, I'm on cold medicine. What are you on? Because Lord knows what I'm on isn't making me feel better - just goofy. If you're on something stronger, please let me know if it will clear these dark demon infested sinuses.

Matt
10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm running on nothing but good, ol'-fashioned Internet rage here, Steve.

Steve
10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Does it clear the sinuses?

Dustin
10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
You know what? Screw calling about this guy. Screw e-mailing, and screw leaving comments on the article. I say we kill this dude. For real. I am all up for taking a road trip out to the Land of Enchantment and showing this guy what it's like.

Who's with me?

Ya! :rolleyes:

Thunder
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
If I read that correctly, he complained of OKC not having a Chile restaurant? Well.... If he would just visit Del City, there is one that just opened today.

Matt
10-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Does it clear the sinuses?

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Try some Vicks VapoSpray.

diggyba, we ride for Amarillo at dawn.

Spartan
10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
If I read that correctly, he complained of OKC not having a Chile restaurant? Well.... If he would just visit Del City, there is one that just opened today.

Are you being serious? Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're just the most satirical poster on here, in that case, kudos.

If not, he was not talking about Chili's. He meant green chili peppers. Spicy little things. It's true, obviously we don't have southwest food like they have in...the southwest.

ljbab728
10-20-2010, 11:53 PM
It's very evident that this article was irrelevant to even those who read it originally. There were no responses in his support. That must have made him feel very fulfilled. There is nothing for us to be concerned about here.

Doug Loudenback
10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Steve, I've just finished reading all of the comments to that article. I read one by a poster who has the same name that you do. He said,

This article is a piece of s _ _ t.
Did you know that someone else is posting under your name, or is there more than one Steve Lackmeyer out there, or is it possible that ...

metro
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
not to mention the flamebait title of this thread, i guess the same standard doesn't imply to Oklahoman journalists

earlywinegareth
10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Why would anyone care what's written in a college paper? Not to mention that comparing one city to another is futile - it's all subjective.

Still, I like Albuquerque. I have relatives there and visit every year or two. I like the contrasting culture, food, climate, and geography.

gen70
10-21-2010, 09:31 AM
I think the boy was trying to suck up to his fellow Albuquerqueians but, what a weird way to do so.

Steve
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Someone stole my identity. That was not me. I'm sure the one person who jumped to conclusions will have something else to criticize shortly.

jmarkross
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Someone stole my identity. That was not me.

I especially liked the news yesterday that a guy stole someone's identity--and the guy was a sex offender. Karma. :doh:

Steve
10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Huh?

jmarkross
10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I think the boy was trying to suck up to his fellow Albuquerqueians but, what a weird way to do so.

I think that the Albuquerqs operate under different protocols...

jmarkross
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Huh?

Not you Steve...national news story from some burg somewhere...

Steve
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Whew. I do fine with the slings and arrows from Metro, but I couldn't fathom what you were saying. Glad to see we're still cool and you were referring to someone else!

cedbled
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
boy, that toetagga187 guy really let em have it.....

*secretly knows he is toetagga187*

metro
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Whew. I do fine with the slings and arrows from Metro, but I couldn't fathom what you were saying. Glad to see we're still cool and you were referring to someone else!

So to clarify how do we know when you are posting and when your identity is stolen? Slings and arrows? I call individual posts as I see them and most people on here just like to suck up to you because they like your articles and don't want you to stop interacting with them, you know I agree with you most of the time, but I'm not going to suck up just because everyone else does. Spartan does the same thing but you seem to pick and choose who you like to call out or cite for a source.

Steve
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Metro, I always post by my name. There is no way of stopping someone from stealing my identity, which is what happened in this case, and there's not much to be done about it. If I make a mistake or write something in err, I always correct and/or eliminate the mistake. I don't deny my shortcomings. I think there's a lot of healthy dialogue that takes place on this site and at OKC Central where people challenge each other's ideas, debate one another and come to understanding others' perspectives.

metro
10-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the clarification, I think I get what you meant when you said identity stolen.

zrfdude
10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
This thread did piss me off. Not the opinion article, but the thread.

jmarkross
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Can people steal identity on this forum? Maybe that has been happening to me...

Steve
10-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Nope. But you can on the site that was being referred to earlier. To be clear - some joker posted a comment on the Lobo site using profanity and put my name on it. That was NOT ME

BDP
10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
The only thing ABQ definitely has better than OKC is shopping and dining options (i.e., national chain stores),

I'm not really sure how more national chain stores and restaurants can really help some place be better. All they do is make one place more like every other place.

jmarkross
10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not really sure how more national chain stores and restaurants can really help some place be better. All they do is make one place more like every other place.

They do have one of the finest Thom McAn stores I have ever seen and a huge National Shirt Shop. They even have an Orange Julius--the envy of the Southwest...

semisimple
10-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Things like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, REI, etc.--i.e., more "exclusive" chains. Sure, they don't contribute to the identity of a city, but to some people their absence could detract from the quality of life of an area. Case in point--I'm sure most people on this forum would agree that WF will make OKC better somewhat by offering, finally, a "good" grocery store...

Midtowner
10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Hopefully by WF being here, local chains will up their game and we'll all be better served. Exclusive chains mean that there's a spot in the marketplace for better local businesses which can provide superior service. Think of it as a reverse-Wal Mart effect.

dismayed
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I found the responses posted at the bottom of that article about as embarrassing as the article itself.

BDP
10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Things like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, REI, etc.--i.e., more "exclusive" chains. Sure, they don't contribute to the identity of a city, but to some people their absence could detract from the quality of life of an area. Case in point--I'm sure most people on this forum would agree that WF will make OKC better somewhat by offering, finally, a "good" grocery store...

Yeah, it seems there is need for a lot of people to have what is everywhere else. Whole Foods will add some things to the market and definitely puts more under one roof, but it will be interesting to see how much new it really brings to the market and how much people just think is new because they never went to a local market or specialty store. With the exception of consistently good produce, I can usually get what I want here. It may just take more than one stop. And I wouldn't mind that if everything weren't so spread out.

Either way, what I like and don't like about OKC never seems to have anything to do with the presence or absence of any national retailers or restaurants. And, imo, it seems silly to expect or even want one city to have the exact same things as another.

ddavidson8
10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Don't give him the satisfaction of having 100+ responses to his article. A lot of times writers on the web want large comment responses and write in such a way as to get them. Especially the guys at G4tv.com. They actually solicit responses at the end of the article.