View Full Version : OU is #1 again finally...

SoonerQueen
10-17-2010, 11:07 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/SoonerQueen/OU%20sports/m_b3df806aa5174969aed4345801ec2d57.jpg

jstanthrnme
10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
It's fun to say it, but we've got a tough game in front of us that we have to show up for. Convincingly.

A LOT of eyes are gonna be on the Sooners on Saturday, and some of those eyes will have a vote in the human polls which is where we have a lot of ground to gain.

Thunder
10-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Jumped from 6 to 1! :-O I expected 4th or 5th for this week.

jmarkross
10-18-2010, 01:58 AM
All about peaking at the right time...Glad to see the slobbering love affair with Boise State did not cause the computer to flutter and swoon...you simply have to play better teams to get ahead--they could do that but don't seem to make much effort...would love to see OU and Oregon play again--on a neutral field!!

Thunder
10-18-2010, 02:43 AM
Was it the (I forgot what it was) that ISU had with .777 (was the top) that jumped OU to #1 with the effective shutout?

kevinpate
10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
You're mixing your polls lad. #1 related solely to the BCS poll. OU dinna jump to #1 in the other polls.
OU is #3 in AP and USA Today/Coaches
OU is #4 in Harris

dcsooner
10-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Can't get on the OU bandwagon after the multiple lapses of the past. OU has generally been able to beat the conference foes aside from Texas, BUT, really when competing against national competition, we have fallen short far to often for me to be overly excitetd about being ranked No 1 in the BCS. Far too many games left to play

Matt
10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Glad to see the slobbering love affair with Boise State did not cause the computer to flutter and swoon...you simply have to play better teams to get ahead--they could do that but don't seem to make much effort...

You sure about that?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

ESPN has even become involved trying to broker a deal that will almost assuredly be nationally televised. Still no luck.

It’s the kind of non-conference game that should have schools salivating. Boise delivers an opponent that will challenge your players, exposure that will extend your brand and a home game that will excite your fans.

“It’s been surprising how many big schools have not been receptive of us coming to their place,” Bleymaier said.

This is the conundrum for the upstart program and every non-major conference school trying to battle for national respect.

Boise is 44-4 over the past four seasons, including 4-1 against major conference opponents. Yet that doesn’t guarantee the Broncos a slot in a big money BCS bowl due to the level of competition they play in the Western Athletic Conference.

The school acknowledges it needs to play tougher teams. Yet how can they beat quality opponents if quality opponents won’t play them?

More, in an article from last year (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709)

earlywinegareth
10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
It appears the team and coaching staff put the off week to good use. They showed Saturday how good they can be when everyone plays well for 4 quarters. I think they are hitting their stride at the right time and will be eager to go knock off MU on the road.

bluedogok
10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Can't get on the OU bandwagon after the multiple lapses of the past. OU has generally been able to beat the conference foes aside from Texas, BUT, really when competing against national competition, we have fallen short far to often for me to be overly excitetd about being ranked No 1 in the BCS. Far too many games left to play
It just seems different this season, no one seems to be significantly better than the rest of the field. Where is all that SEC defense that they have always raved about? They have been having "Playstation scores" this season like they derisively said about the Big 12 a couple of seasons ago.

You sure about that?
It was reported down here during the summer that UT tried to get them on the schedule sometime in the future but that Boise wanted a Home and Home with the first game in Boise and wasn't willing to budge. Maybe what they try to negotiate and what they say publicly are two different things.