View Full Version : Shame on you, Oklahoma

progressiveboy
10-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I saw this in today's Dallas Morning News. I have to say, this is an embarrassment to the State of Oklahoma. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Hopefully this will change soon.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/101510dnmettollsok.192f6190e.html

Easy180
10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Smart move to finally eat the cost...Sure it will get added to the list after this lovely pr for the state

PennyQuilts
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
The Turnpike Authority is going to pick up the cost (that's us). I don't mind for something like that but I don't think they have anything to be ashamed of, considering.

Matt
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Uncharacteristically classy move from the scumbags at the OTA.

ljbab728
10-15-2010, 10:16 PM
The article doesn't address what the policy is in Texas. There are several toll roads in the Dallas area and I wonder what they do.

jmarkross
10-16-2010, 03:32 AM
The article doesn't address what the policy is in Texas. There are several toll roads in the Dallas area and I wonder what they do.

Local bird-brained bureaucrats would all do the exact same thing--nationwide. The curse of a government job...

BBatesokc
10-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Personally, I don't think its an "embarrassment" or that its anything to be "ashamed" of. This isn't anything new and I certainly don't have any expectations that funeral processions would be allowed to pass for free. I think it would be odd if everyone had to stop and throw change into the gates to get by, but that obviously isn't how they handle it. It kills me that the shame and embarrassment in your opinion is the nominal toll that everyone pays ~ obviously you haven't had to cover a funeral lately. The shame and embarrassment is how funeral homes rape grieving families with overpriced caskets and services.

People going to funerals have to cover their transportation costs to get to the funeral and to the grave, why should toll roads be the exception? Yeah, its not all warm and fuzzy, but its called reality.

jmarkross
10-16-2010, 05:16 AM
I assume you did not read that this procession was for a 19-yo fallen soldier, and I think all states could waive some change for this type of situation. Or should we charge the families for the return from the field when they fell--or just leave them there if there is no payment up front...

BBatesokc
10-16-2010, 06:46 AM
I assume you did not read that this procession was for a 19-yo fallen soldier, and I think all states could waive some change for this type of situation. Or should we charge the families for the return from the field when they fell--or just leave them there if there is no payment up front...

Actually I have a habit of reading the entirety of an article before replying, thank you. I really don't see that it matters at all that it was a 19 year old fallen soldier. So, when my grandfather or father dies (both served proudly during war) I should expect if the funeral procession passes through a toll it should be free? I think not. Stop wearing it on your sleeve and live in the real world. Your BS statement at the end only shows you can't focus on the topic.

jmarkross
10-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Actually I have a habit of reading the entirety of an article before replying, thank you. I really don't see that it matters at all that it was a 19 year old fallen soldier. So, when my grandfather or father dies (both served proudly during war) I should expect if the funeral procession passes through a toll it should be free? I think not. Stop wearing it on your sleeve and live in the real world. Your BS statement at the end only shows you can't focus on the topic.

Well, you have certainly made your opinion quite clear.

MartzMimic
10-16-2010, 07:10 AM
BBatesOKC brings up some interesting issues. If OTA writes policy, does it only include exceptions for current servicemembers? Does it include those who have died as a result of accident or illness? What about those being buried in a private or municipal cemetery?

When you actually look at the time frames involved, the OTA made a decision - and I think the right one - fairly quickly.

PennyQuilts
10-16-2010, 07:22 AM
When you actually look at the time frames involved, the OTA made a decision - and I think the right one - fairly quickly.

Exactly. And making the decision so quickly is impressive. I am actually rather pleased with them.

jmarkross
10-16-2010, 07:46 AM
FYI

http://www.usfallen.org/2010/10/14/fallen-warrior%E2%80%99s-funeral-procession-denied-free-access-on-toll-roads-in-oklahoma/

BBatesokc
10-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, you have certainly made your opinion quite clear.

Get over yourself. Wrapping something in an American flag or within the framework of "a dead brave soldier" doesn't work as an ace in every argument and it doesn't make me any less patriotic (which is exactly where you were headed). A charge for a toll is just one of many uncomfortable realities of the responsibility of a funeral. You think this policy hasn't been enacted numerous times without anyone (the media) taking notice.

bandnerd
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree with the statement that the moral ill here isn't the turnpike cost, which is minimal, but the costs that funeral homes charge for their services.

bluedogok
10-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Texas doesn't really have one tolling authority covering the entire state like Oklahoma. There are regional tolling authorities like the North Texas Tollway Authority (DFW) and the Harris County Toll Road Authority (Houston), the Austin toll roads are under the authority of TxDOT. They all tend to make up some of their own policies and rules which like everything else in this state is under control of the legislature.

kevinpate
10-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree with the statement that the moral ill here isn't the turnpike cost, which is minimal, but the costs that funeral homes charge for their services.

To avoid needless expense, thought and planning are required. A funeral, like a wedding, or a car purchase for that matter, can be nicely achieved at reasonable costs, or a bucketload of funds can be expended without greatly improving the experience.

Sadly, as many find the topic of their own demise, or the demise of a loved one, quite uncomfortable, there is an absence of advance planning. The funeral business, like any, has its compassionate folk, and it has its profit whores. When no prior planning meets profiteer, the end result favors the whore.

PennyQuilts
10-17-2010, 08:20 AM
To avoid needless expense, thought and planning are required. A funeral, like a wedding, or a car purchase for that matter, can be nicely achieved at reasonable costs, or a bucketload of funds can be expended without greatly improving the experience.

Sadly, as many find the topic of their own demise, or the demise of a loved one, quite uncomfortable, there is an absence of advance planning. The funeral business, like any, has its compassionate folk, and it has its profit whores. When no prior planning meets profiteer, the end result favors the whore.

True, enough. I've buried both my parents in the past few years and they both wanted it to be a modest event. It was and wasn't particularly expensive. Had I had a big, blow out event, it would have been a bundle. Like a wedding with no planning - just the bill. My folks were of the mind that most people spend more than they can afford out of guilt. They set me straight that they would feel guilty beyond the grave if I spent all kinds of money on their funerals. Go with a nice cremation and hold a private wake. There is nothing that says someone has to rent out a funeral parlor, have large scale visitations, troop en mass to the cemetary and buy a fancy casket. You can if you want, but that is going to cost you money - and your loved one is still gone. You see civic leaders, fallen soldiers/first responders and young people having enormous funerals and I get that the public gets interested. Just the same, most people who attend large funerals aren't going to be traumatized if they don't have the opportunity to attend to pay their respects. If they are that close to the departed, they can approach the family, privately.

Matt
10-17-2010, 08:28 AM
I agree. Funerals needn't be expensive.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6964/folgerscoffeecoupons.jpg

After all, just because people are bereaved, doesn't mean they're saps.

jmarkross
10-17-2010, 11:53 AM
As a man with some knowledge of persuasion...I am constantly appalled at how many people throw family wealth--be it large or small--away falling for the one day floral orgy that they have been somehow convinced equates to their love for family. It is a disgusting display of the darkest side of salesmanship. I am a firm believer in economical cremation...memorial services for friends and relatives at the church they have been paying into for decades or a local hall. I once went to a Japanese funeral...they do some very nice things. They usually cremate and at the memorial they have a large plate where anyone who wishes leaves an envelope with a generous donation to the family for their expenses and needs in lieu of flowers or other things that last for only a few hours. I am told people usually give more than you might think...out of respect for the deceased and their family. It symbolizes support in their time of need.

PennyQuilts
10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I once went to a Japanese funeral...they do some very nice things. They usually cremate and at the memorial they have a large plate where anyone who wishes leaves an envelope with a generous donation to the family for their expenses and needs in lieu of flowers or other things that last for only a few hours. I am told people usually give more than you might think...out of respect for the deceased and their family. It symbolizes support in their time of need.

That is a lovely tradition, seems to me. Or could be so long as Grandpa isn't knocked off to get the gifts <vbg>

jmarkross
10-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Funny how this thread went sideways on the topic of--should states/cities allow the free passage of soldiers who give their lives for the country free passage through tollgates on toll roads into a nervous speculation about the costs of funerals to families. Surely some of the blame for extravagant funerals rest with the people who buy and sell them, but I do not think that compares with military personnel who are killed in action. And please all you left-wing geeks...try--just try--to resist the temptation to roll-out for the world to see your anti-military, anti-everything NOT Obama or democrat...belligerent indignation and scorn that will make you look foolish and callow beyond redemption...just this once. Think of it as a challenge.

Midtowner
10-17-2010, 03:53 PM
The import of this matter pales in comparison to the anti-consumer protectionist legislation foisted on the Oklahoma taxpayers by the legislature protecting well-above-average and well-above-normal profits for the funeral industry. I don't know whether the Turnpike Authority even has the authority to waive tolls for individuals. It could be that their decision to eat this is in fact illegal. The legislature probably ought to address this.

jmarkross
10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
How about legislation authorizing the free passage to the burial site for funeral processions of KIA soldiers. Too much to ask of society? Too much costly wear on the pavement for such a trivial reason? Too much special privilege?

Easy180
10-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Must not happen very often since this is the first time most of us have heard about this type of situation...may want to take a chill pill jmark as I'm sure this will play out differently going forward...I am impressed that you somehow tied this to Obama

dismayed
10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Honestly I don't see how it is this state's job to keep track of how everyone is using our turnpikes and offer exemptions based on specific need or reason for travel. Where does it stop... if someone has an emergency, should they get their tolls exempted and be able to travel on the turnpikes for free... what about all funerals or funerals for others who have in some way served the state or our country... I mean the list could go on and on.

And yes I-44 is the quickest way from McKinney to Ft. Sill, but there are free roads as well if it is that big of an issue. Also I suspect that if not in this funeral there have been others who have traveled across Texas tollways before, such as the Dallas North Tollway. Is Texas offering exemptions? No.

jmarkross
10-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Amazing how so many don't seem to "get it"...though not surprising...

PennyQuilts
10-17-2010, 06:26 PM
JMarkross, darling, if you don't settle down, YOU are going to be the one being carried on the toll road in a hearse. Man, you are going to stroke out!
Eat some chocolate.

jmarkross
10-17-2010, 06:53 PM
My, my Henny Penny--you should stop reading my posts, I stopped reading yours long ago...

Matt
10-17-2010, 06:59 PM
My, my Henny Penny--you should stop reading my posts, I stopped reading yours long ago...

Then how'd you know what she said?

jmarkross
10-18-2010, 02:44 AM
It has to do with lingering Evelyn Wood training on one-or-two liners...eye grabs before the filters can react in the eye-to-brain path...

Matt
10-18-2010, 08:04 AM
You know you can just put her on ignore, right, and that way you'd never have to see any of her posts ever again, for real?

CuatrodeMayo
10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Funny you should say that...I've put them both on ignore weeks ago =)

jmarkross
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
You know you can just put her on ignore, right, and that way you'd never have to see any of her posts ever again, for real?

True...but you have to log-in first...if you forget to--all the spooks here appear before you know it...