View Full Version : Bringing Russian Sam to OKC

Pages : [1] 2

Steve
10-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Is it possible? You bet. Are some people trying to make it happen? Absolutely. Can OKC Talk help in this mission? That answer is up to you. More details coming soon.

Andrew4OU
10-14-2010, 01:26 PM
:congrats:

How exciting!

jmarkross
10-14-2010, 01:32 PM
This is a great idea...he has chosen OKC to model...we should return the favor. He is quite talented. Keep us posted on how to help. What part of Russia is he from?

MadMonk
10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
This is what I think of when I read the term "Russian Sam"
Who/what are you talking about? :confused:

mheaton76
10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Those arent' the kinds of models he makes. You should check out the other threads - his work is really amazing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44533223@N08/4891582884/in/set-72157624599353907/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44533223@N08/4891582884/in/set-72157624599353907/

Steve
10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I'll rely on one of the thread cops to link the right thread for background on this matter.

FritterGirl
10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Steve, is this what you were just tweeting about with regards to a member of the Oklahoma Congressional delgation?

Steve
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Absolutely. If any of you have contacts who work with our congressional delegation, tell them to call me.

Steve
10-14-2010, 02:06 PM
As a columnist with The Oklahoman, I have approached my bosses about NewsOK working with architect Dennis Wells, his employer, Miles Associates, and Creative Oklahoma in an endeavor to bring Russian Sam to Oklahoma City to the World Creativity Forum. It won't be easy, and we will have some extraordinary challenges to overcome. And that's why all of you on OKC Talk who have followed this project are key to helping make this a reality. More to come...

TulsaRobert
10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
You might get some cooperation from the people in Tulsa as well, since he is currently doing a model of DT Tulsa.

OKCRT
10-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Tulsa???? He's coming to OKC not Tulsa. He's coming to a big league city,not Tulsa town.

Just kiddin ya but had to get this in before someone else did. Russian Sam could do a state tour!
It would be nice to have Sam in for the Lemans race downtown.

dmoor82
10-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah I originally started talking to Russian Sam via:private messages right when he started making The OKC model I then started a thread here in OKCTalk and also in Tulsanow!Russian Sam is also working on Midland,TX also!He is a very talented young man from St. Petersburg Russia!

soonerfan_in_okc
10-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Does he have to get a visa to come to the united states? I am not sure if russian's can travel without them to the USA.

Spartan
10-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Does he have to get a visa to come to the united states? I am not sure if russian's can travel without them to the USA.

Yes, that is a requirement. Ironically, the Dept of State models each country's visa requirement with what they reciprocate with toward American citizens. Why this is ironic is because you can get an invitation for a visa mailed to you from any youth hostel or hotel in Russia, whereas it's much harder to get an U.S. visa.

I may be going to St Petersburg for an extended period of time early next year and I would really love to meet up with Elijah if he's around, and take a little bit of Oklahoma to him.

Steve
10-15-2010, 08:10 AM
OK gang, here's the first task for you to be a part of bringing "Russian Sam" to Oklahoma City.
As many of you know, OKC Talk played a critical role in beginning conversations between Elijah (Russian Sam) and local residents.
I need help compiling a timeline. Some of you first met Elijah on the skyscraper forum. I need, ASAP, a timeline of when he first posted about his downtown OKC model project on the skyscraper forum, including a link to that thread. I also need a timeline on when this project was first introduced to the OKC Talk forum.
This is a moment to show OKC Talk at its very best. Pete, thanks for making this forum a reality.

metro
10-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Didn't you already do a blog post or article on this awhile back? How far has the fundraising progressed, is there a way you or Dennis can give us an update on how close it is?

Also, I would ask if I built a paper model of Moscow if you guys would pay for me to visit Moscow, but I'm afraid it'd be a one way ticket. lol

Steve
10-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Metro, an update is in the works. This is a very, very challenging task and Dennis Wells is doing a great service to the community by taking up this task along with Creative Oklahoma (yes, they're all on board now)

Steve
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm really hoping to hear one of you will take me up on this request....

SkyWestOKC
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Steve, hope this helps.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=21946

I don't have time at the moment to do a timeline or research, but maybe this can help get someone started.

Steve
10-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks sir! I'm not wired in to the the Skycraper site, so I'm really hoping someone who was involved with that discussion can help out here. This timeline is needed to help bring Elijah to Oklahoma City. The more we can show how this discussion evolved, the better. And ASAP.

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Has The Oklahoman done a story on Sam...it would be a nice thing to do--if they have not already.

Steve
10-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes, I've done several stories. I'm doing more. Folks, trust me on this one - I'm doing my part. Now, partner up, help!

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 09:49 AM
10-4 Steve-O...you can make it happen...

Steve
10-15-2010, 09:52 AM
No! WE can make it happen!

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Hope Sam is reading this...he has friends across the pond...

Richard at Remax
10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
should have hitched a ride with the moscow basketball team

Doug Loudenback
10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Steve, hope this helps.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=21946

I don't have time at the moment to do a timeline or research, but maybe this can help get someone started.
SkyWestOKC gives the link to the 1st thread here at OkcTalk, started by dmoor82 on May 26, 2010.

Skysraper City's 1st (of many) pages started by Russian Sam is here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1088789 and they are shown to have begun on March 16, 2010.

On September 1, 2010, he started 2 other threads at SkyscraperCity ...

Midland, TX: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1206727

Tulsa, OK: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1206717

Steve
10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks sir!
The next step, my friends, is to find out: how many of you want to see Russian Sam visit OKC?
If this is something you want to see happen, it probably wouldn't hurt the cause to email Creative Oklahoma (they are part of the effort to bring Elijah to OKC) and let them know.
Email Kathy Oden-Hall at k.odenhall@gmail.com

workman45
10-15-2010, 11:13 AM
This is what I think of when I read the term "Russian Sam"
Who/what are you talking about? :confused:

Your as bad as me MM. LOL! If I hadn't already known the answer, I would have thought the same thing.

Doug Loudenback
10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks sir!
The next step, my friends, is to find out: how many of you want to see Russian Sam visit OKC?
If this is something you want to see happen, it probably wouldn't hurt the cause to email Creative Oklahoma (they are part of the effort to bring Elijah to OKC) and let them know.
By your including her e-mail address in your post, the making and sending of such an e-mail by a simple click was painless and was just done by me. I hope that many others will do the same.

Spartan
10-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Also, I would ask if I built a paper model of Moscow if you guys would pay for me to visit Moscow, but I'm afraid it'd be a one way ticket. lol

I'm down. Guys, I think it's a more pressing need to help move metro to Moscow. lol

Doug Loudenback
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm down. Guys, I think it's a more pressing need to help move metro to Moscow. lol
Now, now, Nick ... both you and Steve (Metro) have had your feisty moments. I sorta suspect that the "two-o-youtz" may be related (no disrespect to either of you intended), but maybe not.

Steve
10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll have a story about this in Sunday's paper

jmarkross
10-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Well done Steve...I'll go buy a copy....

Steve
10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm serious about giving OKC Talk its due on this and keeping you guys involved.

HOT ROD
10-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks sir!

Steve, would it be easier to do a poll on OKCTalk or your blog or the Oklahoman, or all three - and then send the results to CO? I think you might get better participation than just email requests. ....

Steve
10-16-2010, 04:22 PM
No. Consider this like a job interview. And one of the things Russian Sam needs is the equivalent of reference letters - but in this case letters indicating there are people in OKC who want to meet him, etc.

HOT ROD
10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
ah, I see.

I still think a poll would help the cause, so we expats could support.

dmoor82
10-16-2010, 07:45 PM
This is very exciting and hope it happens!I would like to meet Elijah in person to tell him what an amzing artist he is and how much I enjoy his work! Here is a link for his DT OKC models from SSC http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1088789 and Steve Thank You for all your work and effort! Thanks http://newsok.com/article/3505221

Steve
10-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Dennis Wells is doing much of the heavy lifting on this - I'll have an update tomorrow.

HOT ROD
10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
yes indeed, BIG THANKS to Steve - the Ambassador of Downtown Oklahoma City (and OKCTalk!).

metro
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
OK not to be Debbie Downer here, but wanted to explore this thing further. I'm personally surprised no one has brought the flip side up either. I used to be totally for bringing him over. Right now I don't really have a personal opinion as I want to hear both arguments. What is the main purpose of bringing him over, to see his paper model in person? to get him to move here? to pick his brain? I haven't really heard the true goal other than to get him to the "World" Creativity Forum. This whole "World" Creativity Forum is a whole other discussion. It's more like an Oklahoma Creativity Forum with some of Oklahoma's brightest or most successful. It's not a true world-caliber forum like some other places have, but I guess you have to start somewhere. It just seems to me it's like a Chamber type buzz-word frenzy project du jour because everyone else is doing it, and because OKC is still big on yesterdays buzzword "World-Class". OKC is a "World Class NBA City, "World Class rowing facilities", we have the "World Creativity Forum", etc. etc. Again, you guys know I am a big cheerleader and supporter of OKC, but on this one I guess I'm missing the boat on it? Anyone else care to chime in on the other side of the fence?

Steve
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
For those who are interested, a Russian interpreter is now on board for the visit. I'll provide updates whenever possible. Curious - what areas of town do you think Russian Sam should see if he makes it to Oklahoma City?

jmarkross
10-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I think if he is brought over...someone should give him info on things and see what he would like to do...bet he would like an OU or OSU home game...he comes from a very historic and beautiful place...St. Petersburg--probably would like the old west aspect like all the Germans do when they come...publicity should get him some good treatment and the keys to the city--he did something nice out of the blue for OKC from the other side of the world...we should give him something to tell his friends about for a lifetime.

Steve
10-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah, but if you get into choosing OU or OSU, aren't you just asking for trouble?
:numchucks

On a more serious note, I'd imagine he would be interested in the Memorial. But I could be wrong on that.

dmoor82
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
The Memorial,A Thunder game,Steve's employer,tour of dt and Bricktown,a basic tour and rundown of all development in OKC,like Devon or The OK river,and I think The heli ride over dt would be Awesome!

Steve
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
One question that hasn't been resolved yet is how, if he is able to visit, can the model make the visit as well.

metro
10-18-2010, 02:27 PM
guess no one wants to take on my question. guys I imagine his time would be limited and besides I bet Dennis Wells and Steve would give him a tour and do just fine. It's not like we are NYC and have tons of touristy and hip local places to show him. He could hit about everywhere up in 2 days.

okclee
10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
** Self Edit **

Please excuse my negativity today.

Steve
10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Those who want to be negative will be negative, and I can understand this story may interest some and others not so much. A lot of negativity could probably hamper this effort - and those who want to do that can think that through.

ljbab728
10-18-2010, 10:49 PM
For those who are interested, a Russian interpreter is now on board for the visit. I'll provide updates whenever possible. Curious - what areas of town do you think Russian Sam should see if he makes it to Oklahoma City?

This may seem like a stereotype answer but I would think the Cowboy Hall of Fame would be a good choice. We have a lot of great attractions but that is somewhat unique and would give him some perspective on where we came from. And, at least a drive through the Health Sciences Center area might encourage him to add that to his downtown creation.

HOT ROD
10-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Please refrain from negativity so as to ensure the success of this effort. Thanks!

jmarkross
10-19-2010, 05:34 AM
This may seem like a stereotype answer but I would think the Cowboy Hall of Fame would be a good choice. We have a lot of great attractions but that is somewhat unique and would give him some perspective on where we came from. And, at least a drive through the Health Sciences Center area might encourage him to add that to his downtown creation.

I think he would LOVE the CHF...great idea...

dmoor82
10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
^^Yes The CHF would be a good choice and maybe even The Oklahoma History Center/Muesuem!A Thunder game for sure though!

metro
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Take him to the downtown library and they may have more paper models of downtown OKC.

Steve
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM
It's interesting to see the Cowboy Hall of Fame getting such prominent mention. I think a lot of us locals take it for granted, but then we're always quick to embrace it all over again when we hear from visitors how great it is. I must admit it's been a few years since I've truly toured it and I've yet to take my kids there.

metro
10-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Take him to Norman and let him interact with all the Russians, they seem to have a good Russian population. Maybe they will convince him to move here.

rondvu
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
If approved think we need to see what is happening in and around OKC. So R.S. can see many attractions, events as well as the sites. We would not want him to come in a dead month and sit at his hosts home watching TV and being bored out of his mind. I am thinking April-May and October.

Platemaker
10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
OK not to be Debbie Downer here, but wanted to explore this thing further. I'm personally surprised no one has brought the flip side up either. I used to be totally for bringing him over. Right now I don't really have a personal opinion as I want to hear both arguments. What is the main purpose of bringing him over, to see his paper model in person? to get him to move here? to pick his brain? I haven't really heard the true goal other than to get him to the "World" Creativity Forum. This whole "World" Creativity Forum is a whole other discussion. It's more like an Oklahoma Creativity Forum with some of Oklahoma's brightest or most successful. It's not a true world-caliber forum like some other places have, but I guess you have to start somewhere. It just seems to me it's like a Chamber type buzz-word frenzy project du jour because everyone else is doing it, and because OKC is still big on yesterdays buzzword "World-Class". OKC is a "World Class NBA City, "World Class rowing facilities", we have the "World Creativity Forum", etc. etc. Again, you guys know I am a big cheerleader and supporter of OKC, but on this one I guess I'm missing the boat on it? Anyone else care to chime in on the other side of the fence?

We have nearly 20 countries attending the forum with delegates from 12 districts of creativity. Nearly half the states have representatives as well. So, it’s more than Oklahoma – we are just the hosts of the event. And, it is open to Oklahomans to attend at a discounted rate.

We also have an international art biennale going on for the next two months with international artists.

jmarkross
10-20-2010, 04:05 AM
We have nearly 20 countries attending the forum with delegates from 12 districts of creativity. Nearly half the states have representatives as well. So, it’s more than Oklahoma – we are just the hosts of the event. And, it is open to Oklahomans to attend at a discounted rate.

We also have an international art biennale going on for the next two months with international artists.

It certainly would not be a stretch to call Sam's work "art"...maybe that angle could be exploited...