View Full Version : where to live

eRod v1.0
10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi! I am needing some help. I am re-locating to the OKC area Nov. 1st and looking for the perfect area to raise my family. Looking at Yukon, Mustang and Edmond. Anyone have any thoughts? I have a 4 year old and 2 year old. Thanks for any input, I am from Florida originally and my wife is from Kansas.

okclee
10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
You don't have much time to find the perfect area.

Why Yukon, Mustang, and Edmond?

Why not a neighborhood in Okc?

PennyQuilts
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm guessing he wants good schools and a larger lot. OKC is not the best place to raise kids - at least compared to what you can get very close by. I am not saying there aren't some nice areas but you can get just as nice a family home and neighborhood for less money, further out. There are a lot of schools in OKC I wouldn't let my kids go to.

eRod v1.0
10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes, we want good schools, a little bigger yard, and a kid friendly neighborhood. Edmond is great, but we can't seem to find anything that is in the right location for us and my husband's commute to Will Rogers.

PennyQuilts
10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
We live about three miles directly west of WR's. There are a lot of places between WR and Mustang and that's an easy commute. Really a crappy commute from Edmond, IMO. Not much further west puts you in Mustang schools and they seem pretty good. Have you checked out Tuttle or Blanchard?

MustangGT
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I would suggest Yukon. Excellent schools and small town atmosphere.

okclee
10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Will we ever see the day that families will choose "Okc proper" over the suburb (Edmond, Yukon, Moore, Mustang, etc.) areas to raise a family?

Anyway, have you considered southwest Okc 73170 zip, with Moore schools?

Very close to Will Rogers, quiet clean very new area to buy a home, that will only increase in value.

Easy180
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Will we ever see the day that families will choose "Okc proper" over the suburb (Edmond, Yukon, Moore, Mustang, etc.) areas to raise a family?

When gas hits $6 a gallon

wallyboy75
10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I live in Mustang and it is nice we are within min. to OKC and in town its pretty quiet after 9pm.

MustangYukonite
10-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Over the last two years, Mustang's growth has pretty much bloated the "small town" feel. It's definitely overrun the available main avenues, as witnessed between 4:30 and 6:30 pm everyday at the intersections of Sara and 152, and even moreso at the Mustang Rd & 152 intersection.
South of WRWA is a growing and excellent area for relocation to. I would never suggest Edmond to anyone simply based on commute times, horrible traffic etc.

BB37
10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Also check out Surrey Hills. Yukon schools, various size lots, greenbelts, golf course, and close to the turnpike. Rural feel, but close to the city.

mugofbeer
10-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Damn! My kid went to Linwood elementary in OKC public schools and it was superb! A national award winner as a matter of fact. Unfortunately, Taft and NW Classen don't measure up anywhere close, though.

Grant
10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Mustang's a great area. It's not very far from the airport, so the commute would be short. It's a nice bedroom community with some of the best schools around. Grocery shopping, etc. can be done in Mustang and there's a few good restaurants. If you want to buy clothes, etc. you'll obviously drive to OKC. No movie theater, either, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

osu cowboy
10-26-2010, 02:14 PM
As a former teacher I'd say Mustang or Yukon for the schools. Edmond has good schools but crowded now. Mustang has plenty of homes for sale.

Lurker34
10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Mustang has not outgrown it small town stature in my opinion. I moved there for the peace and quiet. Yes Hiway 152 gets busy during rush hour, but I think it has to do more with the way the traffic lights are set. They'll stop 2 miles of cars to let 3-5 people in and out of Wal-Mart. Wallyboy is right, there's not much night life, and I'm not impressed with most of the restaurants in this town. In Mustangs favor it's quiet, low crime (no sirens at night) good schools, less traffic, nice community center/library. Yukon might be similar but on a larger scale. You couldn't pay me to live in Edmond.