View Full Version : The 5 Fastest Growing Cities in the U.S. (Okc is one of them)

okclee
10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/the-fastest-growing-cities-in-the-us.html

1. Raleigh-Durham, NC
2. Salt Lake City, UT
3. Austin, TX
4. San Antonio, TX
5. Oklahoma City, OK

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/11/cities-innovation-texas-great-plains-indianapolis-opinions-columnists-joel-kotkin_slide_6.html

http://images.forbes.com/media/2010/10/07/1007_oklahoma-city-oklahoma_485x340.jpg

Nice picture of the skyline too.

Pete
10-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Here's the blurb:

Oklahoma City, Okla.
Oklahoma City--with its business-friendly environment and abundant oil and natural gas reserves--ranked No. 11 in Forbes' list of the best big cities for jobs. A KPMG study named it the least costly metro area to do business among U.S. cities with populations between 1 million and 2 million, and according to the Census Bureau Community Survey, it has the third-shortest commute time among the 52 largest cities. Such factors--plus its exciting new basketball star, Kevin Durant--have definitely attracted plenty of new residents. An article in the Sacramento Bee reported that many Californians were migrating to the former Dust Bowl town in search of jobs and more stable housing prices, and its population, at 1.2 million, is expected to grow 9.8% in the next 10 years, according to the Greater Oklahoma City Partnership.

RadioOKC
10-13-2010, 10:14 AM
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/the-fastest-growing-cities-in-the-us.html

1. Raleigh-Durham, NC
2. Salt Lake City, UT
3. Austin, TX
4. San Antonio, TX
5. Oklahoma City, OK

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/11/cities-innovation-texas-great-plains-indianapolis-opinions-columnists-joel-kotkin_slide_6.html

http://images.forbes.com/media/2010/10/07/1007_oklahoma-city-oklahoma_485x340.jpg

Nice picture of the skyline too.

Very cool pic! I ran across a article yesterday about OKC in USA Today that was a nice read.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-10-12-oklahoma12_CV_N.htm?csp=usat.me

Great news keeps coming in about us. I'm glad I moved here, but I have to admit I miss my San Diego beaches.

Chris
http://www.radiookc.com

UnFrSaKn
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Was just about to post this.

semisimple
10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
The gist of this article is that OKC and these other cities are relatively strong economically and are poised for strong future growth, which certainly seems to be true. However, according to Census Bureau data, OKC is not at all among the fastest growing cities in the country. Moreover, OKC also lags these cities in migration (that is, a relatively high percentage of OKC's growth has been due to natural increase, not migration). I am not sure what their methodology was (if there was any at all), but over the past nine years the "top five" cities grew as follows:

Raleigh-Durham: population increase of 428,000 (33% change from 2000)
Salt Lake City: 274,000 (19%)
Austin: 466,000 (36%)
San Antonio: 360,000 (21%)
Oklahoma City: 137,000 (12%)

There are also several cities growing faster than some of those on this list. The recession has dramatically changed growth patterns, but even in the past couple of years the ordering among these five looks about the same. Again, it's excellent press for OKC, but this is not at all a representative list of "fast-growing cities."

Pete
10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
It's probably a good thing that OKC doesn't grow as fast as Raleigh or Austin... Not only are there growing pains associated with that type of rapid population growth, it also makes the economy vulnerable to bust.

This happened to a large extend in the 1980's in OKC. Since then, the economy has become more diversified and the population has grown enough to absorb the impact of any one employer, evidenced by the shut down of the GM plant and the loss of some other significant companies.

Also, home prices have increased modestly and the area hasn't been dramatically impacted by the mortgage meltdown.

I would expect OKC to continue to grow at the same pace -- or maybe even faster -- while some of these other cities start to slow.

BG918
10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I expect Austin to slow down considerably. Two of things that caused growth there, affordability and traffic congestion, are now out of control.

Salt Lake City is a great city that is growing fast but they are doing a good job of planning for growth there unlike Austin, and to an extent OKC and Tulsa. I think the LDS influence scares some away, otherwise it would be one of the hottest markets because it's like Denver but even closer to the mountains and still very affordable.

semisimple
10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
I expect Austin to slow down considerably. Two of things that caused growth there, affordability and traffic congestion, are now out of control.

Salt Lake City is a great city that is growing fast but they are doing a good job of planning for growth there unlike Austin, and to an extent OKC and Tulsa. I think the LDS influence scares some away, otherwise it would be one of the hottest markets because it's like Denver but even closer to the mountains and still very affordable.

I don't think congestion caused growth...?

But I agree somewhat--I suspect that while Austin's overall growth probably won't slow down anytime soon, "good" growth in Austin (as well as Raleigh) will probably constitute a smaller fraction of the population increase over the next decade. In other words, infrastructure investments around Austin have been focused on the suburbs and I imagine this will intensify sprawl at the expense of the core. Raleigh isn't quite at critical mass like Austin but I imagine the story there will be much the same. For both metro areas this lack of investment in public projects and infrastructure will mean a deteriorating quality of life as they continue to grow.

OKC has a major long-term advantage over Raleigh-Durham and Austin in that it has the infrastructure to accommodate growth and also has invested in quality of life things like a good zoo, museums, and the NBA. Coupled with the ultra-low cost of living it is a bit surprising that OKC isn't already growing much faster than it is...

ljbab728
10-13-2010, 10:33 PM
The gist of this article is that OKC and these other cities are relatively strong economically and are poised for strong future growth, which certainly seems to be true. However, according to Census Bureau data, OKC is not at all among the fastest growing cities in the country. Moreover, OKC also lags these cities in migration (that is, a relatively high percentage of OKC's growth has been due to natural increase, not migration). I am not sure what their methodology was (if there was any at all), but over the past nine years the "top five" cities grew as follows:

Raleigh-Durham: population increase of 428,000 (33% change from 2000)
Salt Lake City: 274,000 (19%)
Austin: 466,000 (36%)
San Antonio: 360,000 (21%)
Oklahoma City: 137,000 (12%)

There are also several cities growing faster than some of those on this list. The recession has dramatically changed growth patterns, but even in the past couple of years the ordering among these five looks about the same. Again, it's excellent press for OKC, but this is not at all a representative list of "fast-growing cities."

Keep in mind that this isn't just a list of the cities that have already been growing the fastest. It's a prediction on what may happen in the next 40 years based on current trends and conditions. This kind of publicity can only help fuel that growth.

Steve
10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
OKC has made a lot of lists recently. Which one impresses you the most?

Spartan
10-15-2010, 09:37 PM

If it's true that we're the 5th fastest growing US city, then there is NO doubt that's the most impressive we've ever done. That's the culmination of all of our success; population growth is the bottom line we have to be concerned with.

If this isn't true though that we're 5th fastest growing in the US, then the best list we've made in a while has to be the Paseo's recent honor from the APA. I'm always going to chose quality (neighborhood and QOL accolades) over quantity (various growth lists) but I'm also pragmatic enough to know that if we're talking population growth, that's the highest end we're working toward.

ljbab728
10-15-2010, 11:37 PM

I don't remember which specific lists but the one's mentioning best places for startup businesses or pro-business climates probably help us as much as any. All of our other quality of life issues are very important but being business friendly is the most important in the long run in my opinion.

Rover
10-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't remember which specific lists but the one's mentioning best places for startup businesses or pro-business climates probably help us as much as any. All of our other quality of life issues are very important but being business friendly is the most important in the long run in my opinion.

Agreed. I am working on projects destined for OKC that were greatly influenced in OKC's favor by prinicpals seeing OKC on those lists.

OKC Heel
10-26-2010, 09:49 AM
You don't want to be at the top of that list.

In 1994, Money magazine voted Raleigh the #1 place to live in America. Even though we/they(since i'm now in OKC) have been at the top of many lists since, for many of us who lived there before all the national attention came our way, life has never been quite as good. That population increase does more than add a little culture to your community, it completely changes it. If you like where you live, that's not a good thing.

For OKC residents looking to be the next great place to live, be careful what you wish for.

BG918
10-26-2010, 10:05 AM
You don't want to be at the top of that list.

In 1994, Money magazine voted Raleigh the #1 place to live in America. Even though we/they(since i'm now in OKC) have been at the top of many lists since, for many of us who lived there before all the national attention came our way, life has never been quite as good. That population increase does more than add a little culture to your community, it completely changes it. If you like where you live, that's not a good thing.

For OKC residents looking to be the next great place to live, be careful what you wish for.

Agree, often it is best to stay underrated. If you have been to Milwaukee recently you can see that while their national reputation isn't that great (and neither is their growth rate) the city itself is doing really well and its citizens are happily improving their city, regardless of what others think. Many in Austin will say the city 'lost its soul' when they started experiencing rapid growth, which I'm sure is a similar situation to what happened in Raleigh.

Pete
10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Milwaukee is a great example, BG918. Don't know if you've seen my posts about that town before, but I go back every summer for a family reunion and always say it's the most underrated city in the U.S.

One big difference with OKC is that the infrastructure -- particularly the freeways -- is much better suited for rapid growth. In a way, the out of control sprawl has already created a grid of streets and services that could easily in in-filled or expanded.

dcsooner
10-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Agree, often it is best to stay underrated. If you have been to Milwaukee recently you can see that while their national reputation isn't that great (and neither is their growth rate) the city itself is doing really well and its citizens are happily improving their city, regardless of what others think. Many in Austin will say the city 'lost its soul' when they started experiencing rapid growth, which I'm sure is a similar situation to what happened in Raleigh.

Both of these responses (yours and the one you responded to) seem to be excuses for slow growth. I truly doubt Austin has lost anything esp it's "soul".

Kerry
10-26-2010, 10:30 AM

The list of NBA cities. All those 'other' lists are just people's opinions, created mostly to sell advertising. The NBA list is real.

Jesseda
10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
RadioOKC what part of san diego, my sis lives in allied gardens area, she is planning on moving out here as well..

Kerry
10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
RadioOKC what part of san diego, my sis lives in allied gardens area, she is planning on moving out here as well..

It must be a trend or something, my wife said last night she would like to move back to Norman. We have been gone 16 years.

Architect2010
10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
I truly doubt Austin has lost anything esp it's "soul".

Ever heard of "Keep Austin Weird'? Well that was a response to the city's rapid growth and loss of its unique quirkiness as a result of that growth. While that city is still a hotspot, it really has lost a lot of its originality. I'm 100% positive that's what they were talking about and it's true.

jbrown84
10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
It's about time they used a great picture on one of these. That's the best picture out there of OKC's skyline IMO, which is saying a lot since it's the worst angle. The perspective flattens the skyline and doesn't show the varying heights of the towers and puts ugly 70's buildings like AT&T in the front.

OKC Heel
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Both of these responses (yours and the one you responded to) seem to be excuses for slow growth. I truly doubt Austin has lost anything esp it's "soul".

Come see me in ten years. Everyone wants to be the next greatest place. Everyone wants all the conveniences of other major cities. Problem is, with all that, comes the things you don't want. I've seen it happen and i saw it coming before it happened. I was a high school senior arguing with my friends Dad - town mayor and my girlfriends aunt -alderman about how they were going to ruin our small town community by selling their soul to attract national chains. (my town was a suburb of Raleigh - now they run together) What did i know i was just a kid? Well fast forward 16 years and that wonderful town is now gone. It's a completely unrecognizable place to me and once upon a time it was Heaven on earth. Now i'm not saying that progress is always bad. I'm not suggesting that towns remain stagnant because those towns die. But normal growth is the way to go. Don't try and be the next big thing over night.

dcsooner
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Come see me in ten years. Everyone wants to be the next greatest place. Everyone wants all the conveniences of other major cities. Problem is, with all that, comes the things you don't want. I've seen it happen and i saw it coming before it happened. I was a high school senior arguing with my friends Dad - town mayor and my girlfriends aunt -alderman about how they were going to ruin our small town community by selling their soul to attract national chains. (my town was a suburb of Raleigh - now they run together) What did i know i was just a kid? Well fast forward 16 years and that wonderful town is now gone. It's a completely unrecognizable place to me and once upon a time it was Heaven on earth. Now i'm not saying that progress is always bad. I'm not suggesting that towns remain stagnant because those towns die. But normal growth is the way to go. Don't try and be the next big thing over night.

Disagree. Own a home in East Raliegh, Amberfield neighorhood. Raleigh continues to grow exponentially and to my view the QoL has not been damaged but enhanced. There are many semi rural (quiet) enclaves in Raleigh along with upscale smaller cities (Cary). Raleighs continued high rankings in national publications has surely claimed some of the formally remote areas but not to the detriment of the overall QoL. OKC needs to encourage growth to improve the overall desirability of the city rather than fear the loss of the few things we do have yet hold back other QoL areas we have sorely lacked in comparison to other cities.

OKCRT
11-12-2010, 03:59 PM
NC smoking capital of the world. No wonder they have so much money after killing everyone off and creating a national insurance scam.