View Full Version : Oklahoma City Rising

Doug Loudenback
10-09-2010, 06:50 AM
In a few other threads here, I've posted a number of photos that I took in September as part of the ground work for a blog article I've been working on, Oklahoma City Rising (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2010/09/oklahoma-city-rising.html). What prompted me to do that article was that I had occasion to look again at the Oklahoma Rising flash video I made in December 2006 ... and in looking at that video I became surprised at the number of things have either come to fruition at least in substantial part or have begun since that video was originally made. Sometimes, living day to day, perspective of the bigger picture gets lost. I'm not talking Core To Shore or MAPS 3 here since they have yet to get off the ground.

The graphics, below, show the thumbnail links to the brief discussions and photos contained in that article:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/oklahomacityrising/okcrisingthumbs1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/oklahomacityrising/okcrisingthumbs2.jpg

The organization of the links more or less takes the following path:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/oklahomacityrising/citycoremaproute.jpg

It's really pretty amazing what has been done in a rather short period of time, at least so it seems to me.

Enjoy!

metro
10-09-2010, 07:29 AM
And that list isn't even complete

Doug Loudenback
10-09-2010, 07:43 AM
What else should I have added? I note that within each section other smaller developments are mentioned from time to time.

andy157
10-09-2010, 07:48 AM
And that list isn't even completeThen please, by all means, provide us with your completed list.

andy157
10-09-2010, 07:50 AM
What else should I have added? I note that within each section other smaller developments are mentioned from time to time.You ole slacker you

FritterGirl
10-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Impressive. Thanks for that, Doug!

SkyWestOKC
10-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I think metro was meaning that in a good way, not necessarily a slam on you. For example all of the Project 180 stuff, Chesapeake (not in downtown of course), etc.

Doug Loudenback
10-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I totally agree, SkyWest. I didn't take Metro's comment in a bad way at all ... and I'd certainly want to include anything significant that I missed, quite sincerely. As for Chesapeake's campus, no, I am focusing on the city's core with the article. As for Project 180, there's a good bit in the article that does not appear in the thumbnail.

But, by all means, Metro and anyone else, if (after looking through the article) there is something significant that I missed, I would want to include it. That said, some of the improvements in Midtown and Auto Alley were deliberately not included since they remain unoccupied.

Pete
10-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Awesome Doug! I know how much work must have gone into this, and thanks so much for doing it.

You truly are an asset to the Oklahoma City community.

metro
10-11-2010, 08:42 AM
I think metro was meaning that in a good way, not necessarily a slam on you. For example all of the Project 180 stuff, Chesapeake (not in downtown of course), etc.

Correct, not in a bad way at all, just meaning "WOW, the momentum of OKC and that list isn't even completed."

Laramie
10-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Took a neighbor out to 33rd & South Council today to the Hobby Lobby HQ, a 3.4 million square foot manufacturing, distribution and office complex; I was really impressed with the massive construction of that completed complex and the ground work being done just north of there on the Outlet Mall (foundation) on I-40.

This City really appears to be going through a transformation like I've never seen.

Doug Loudenback
10-13-2010, 04:30 AM
BTW, thanks, Pete, Metro, Frittergirl, for your compliments. Appreciated.

cdbthunder
10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Doug, it's really amazing all the progress and momentum. I am just saddened I am not closer to all the action going on all around the CDB and adjoining areas. I worked downtown @ what was then Liberty Tower between 1984-1993 and have missed out on all that is happening. I really miss working downtown but I do get down there every chance I get. I appreciate you keeping us all informed on the progress. BTW are you going to the Thunder game Thursday night, our family will be in attendance and maybe we will see you.

Pete
10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I wonder if there is another city in the U.S. that can match the current number of construction jobs in OKC?

1. Devon World HQ
2. Several big projects at the Health Sciences Center
3. Sandridge Commons (starting very soon)
4. Project 180 / Myriad Gardens
5. New I-40
6. Chesapeake / Retail: currently four large projects underway

Those are five huge centers of activity.

cdbthunder
10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
I wonder if there is another city in the U.S. that can match the current number of construction jobs in OKC?

1. Devon World HQ
2. Several big projects at the Health Sciences Center
3. Sandridge Commons (starting very soon)
4. Project 180 / Myriad Gardens
5. New I-40
6. Chesapeake / Retail: currently four large projects underway

Those are five huge centers of activity.
The state ranks # 1 in construction
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/08/09/investopedia46090.DTL&type=jobs

RadioOKC
10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Doug -

Awesome post! Man I love this website!! In a world where people are ready to put the focus on the bad stuff, we have
a place where we can really appreciate what we have here.

Pete - great site!

Chris
http://www.radiookc.com

okclee
10-13-2010, 10:37 AM
It seems there was an article a few months back that had Okc as the top city for construction employment in the U.S.

cdbthunder
10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
It seems there was an article a few months back that had Okc as the top city for construction employment in the U.S.

I thought so too but it was the state as a whole, see my other post.

Doug Loudenback
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks Doug, it's really amazing all the progress and momentum. I am just saddened I am not closer to all the action going on all around the CDB and adjoining areas. I worked downtown @ what was then Liberty Tower between 1984-1993 and have missed out on all that is happening. I really miss working downtown but I do get down there every chance I get. I appreciate you keeping us all informed on the progress. BTW are you going to the Thunder game Thursday night, our family will be in attendance and maybe we will see you.
Thanks, cdbthunder ... no, I won't be at the game. I've developed some health problems which make it difficult to walk even short distances without becoming winded, so, while I'll probably make a few games, it won't be many. I'll be watching on TV, though.

And thanks, RadioOKC and anyone else that I've neglected to thank. Much appreciated.

okclee
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I thought so too but it was the state as a whole, see my other post.

There is the article, good find. We were posting at the same time or I wouldn't have missed that.

Another article from a CA news source too, San Francisco Chronicle.

okclee
10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Doug I spent over 2 hours on your website last night and didn't even scratch the surface. Unbelievable work that you have put into this, I hope you know that it is appreciated by many.

Doug Loudenback
10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks very much, okclee. And I want to say that the encouragement that I have received from many at OkcTalk.com for more than 4 years now is one of the things that keeps me busy with the blog.

With notable exceptions (e.g. Beverly's Chicken In the Rough (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/07/north-on-lincoln-chicken-in-rough.html) has had an astonishing [to me] 72 comments since it was first posted in July 2006), not that many leave people comments in the blog posts. So, despite the pretty significant number of daily hits in the blog, generally (the 4th year average number of daily visitors was about 270 with a daily average of 464 individual pages visited), it is sometimes hard to know whether I am reaching my intended audience. Fundamentally, that intended audience is the following, and in this order ... people who are interested in ...

Okc history -- people, places, events
Contemporary Okc developments, particular those associated with the city's core
NBA in Okc though less so now since I am rarely able to attend games
Occasional political adventures or misadventures which are relevant to the above (e.g., Maps 3, March 4 vote, SandRidge Commons)
Some but not many articles of statewide interest (e.g., the Wichitas (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/12/wichitas.html))
A few Okc based posts which are just for fun (e.g., Merry Christmas 2007 (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/12/merry-christmas-okc.html)), a JibJab which featured prominent Okc personalities

So, comments like yours and Pete's and others earlier in this thread mean a lot to me and are greatly appreciated.

The reason for this self-serving comment is to give the background for something I've been wanting to say to OkcTalk.com ... my explanation for saying to you, OkcTalkers, thank you.

cdbthunder
10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks, cdbthunder ... no, I won't be at the game. I've developed some health problems which make it difficult to walk even short distances without becoming winded, so, while I'll probably make a few games, it won't be many. I'll be watching on TV, though.

And thanks, RadioOKC and anyone else that I've neglected to thank. Much appreciated.

Doug, sorry to hear about your health issues, your in our thoughts and prayers

Doug Loudenback
10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks, cdbthunder ... I'm OK, I just can't walk around as much and as far as I used to.

Laramie
10-14-2010, 09:27 AM
What else should I have added? I note that within each section other smaller developments are mentioned from time to time.

Doug,

I'm really impressed with the industrial district near I-40 Council. Particularly the new Outlet Mall and the Hobby Lobby Distribution, Trucking & Training Complex at 3700 South Council.

There is also a massive development a few blocks north on Council before you reach the Hobby Lobby HQ that was developed but appears to be vacant.