View Full Version : New Restaurant to take over at Lotus' old location

Midtowner
03-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I was speaking with someone that's connected to this project. It will be named "Mr. Hinkel's Steakhouse" or something to that effect. It will be a steakhouse.

Also, in related news, awhile ago, Urban Outfitters was building to go in under the left field garage on their first level. They pulled out, and another investor took the project over. Looks like that's fallen through as well. Construction, however, has been completed, and there's a 13,000 sq. ft. clothing store ready to be occupied. I'll bet we have a clothing store there by the end of the year.

Nuclear_2525
03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
So OKC was getting an Urban Outfitters? Now we aren't?

Midtowner
03-07-2005, 05:50 PM
So OKC was getting an Urban Outfitters? Now we aren't?

I understand Urban Outfitters will be over by the Sonic Building now.

Luke
03-07-2005, 06:28 PM
OKC is getting an Urban Outfitters? Any links for any of this?

Midtowner
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
OKC is getting an Urban Outfitters? Any links for any of this?

As far as UO goes, I'm not sure, the gentleman I spoke with seemed to think that one would be going in over by Sonic.

I'm not really able to give up details on the identity of this individual except to say that he's in a fairly unique position to hear a lot of the goings-on around the Bricktown area. He seemed pretty noncomittal about UO. The 13,000 sq. ft. place that was just completed was originally going to be UO, but that stopped, and the new place (the name I forget) is now having some tension between the investors, and is looking uncertain.

Patrick
03-08-2005, 01:54 AM
For this steakhouse to succeed, it will have to charge lower prices than Mickey Mantle's. For some reason, with a name like Mr. Hinkel's, I jsut don't have a lot of hope for this restaurant. Maybe it will surprise me.

Anyways, Urban Outfitters was actually supposed to open last fall. I contacted OKC Business, the writer of the article that announced it, and they told me plans were put on hold. I'm not sure what that means.....whether it will happen or not, I don't know.

Speaking of the Sonic Building, I hope a few restaurants or retails tores open up in the bottom floor. So far, the space has remained empty. Getting some establishments in there would add to the canal.

Midtowner
03-08-2005, 07:45 AM
For this steakhouse to succeed, it will have to charge lower prices than Mickey Mantle's. For some reason, with a name like Mr. Hinkel's, I jsut don't have a lot of hope for this restaurant. Maybe it will surprise me.

Anyways, Urban Outfitters was actually supposed to open last fall. I contacted OKC Business, the writer of the article that announced it, and they told me plans were put on hold. I'm not sure what that means.....whether it will happen or not, I don't know.

Speaking of the Sonic Building, I hope a few restaurants or retails tores open up in the bottom floor. So far, the space has remained empty. Getting some establishments in there would add to the canal.

Look for that to happen when Toby Keith's place opens up.

Patrick
03-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Look for that to happen when Toby Keith's place opens up.

It seems like even now with the theater and Bass Pro in place, Lower Bricktown would be attracting more tenants. I suppose Toby Keith's will only add to that magnet of attractions.

metro
03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Shek, a trendy clothing store recently opened this past week in Bricktown on Sheridan

Patrick
03-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Shek, a trendy clothing store recently opened this past week in Bricktown on Sheridan

Awesome. Thanks for the info. metro. That means one more retailer to the Bricktown area! I only hope they understand the ups and downs of the Bricktown area. That's a must in order to survive in Bricktown.

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 07:41 AM
These stores are really perfect for Bricktown. The college crowd that goes over there will patronize the heck out of these stores. I think the key will be to get these kids to leave the clubs and go to the stores. They'll have to keep some strange hours to accomplish this I think.

metro
03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I agree Midtowner but at least downtown and Bricktown is seeing their first retail/clothing operation leading the way for more. FYI, Shek, was the store originally to open a few weeks back but had changed locations. Does anyone know when this steakhouse will open?

Midtowner
03-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree Midtowner but at least downtown and Bricktown is seeing their first retail/clothing operation leading the way for more. FYI, Shek, was the store originally to open a few weeks back but had changed locations. Does anyone know when this steakhouse will open?

Yup, that's the name of it.

No idea on the steak house.

zuluwarrior0760
03-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I spoke with the old owner and according to him, they are keeping
most of the decor from the old location......

soonerguru
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Sounds like another bad restaurant idea for that location. Another steakhouse? Jeez. How about another Mexican place or sports bar? I give Mr. Hinkel's 9 months max and the place will be looking for tenants.

Regarding Urban Outfitters, if I had a dollar for all of the great retail I've heard is coming to Bricktown -- from the developers themselves -- I would be filthy rich. Let's see, we were sure to get: Crate & Barrell, Sega Games, Dick Clark's, etc.

asta2
03-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Ah the signs are up. "Daddy Hinkels" is the name. Do the Bourbon Street Cafe guys own this?

Midtowner
03-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Ah the signs are up. "Daddy Hinkels" is the name. Do the Bourbon Street Cafe guys own this?

Nope. According to my source, it's a totally new Bricktown owner. He's apparently been in the steak business for awhile, but this will be his first restaurant. Should be worth checking out.

asta2
03-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Anyone have a name or contact info on him?

zuluwarrior0760
03-20-2005, 08:38 AM
It is indeed the Bourbon Street Guys......
It makes sense that Chuck Ainsworth
would want them as tenants upstairs, as
they have enjoyed steady business downstairs....

BG918
03-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Good to see some new business filling in that valuable space. I really hope another sushi restaurant opens up in Bricktown in the near future though. Lotus was really good but very upscale and expensive. Something slightly more "casual" like Sushi Nikko or In the Raw in Tulsa, with outdoor seating overlooking the canal, would be a big hit IMO. There are currently zero Asian eateries in Bricktown, that needs to change! Pei Wei would also be a good addition.

Patrick
03-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Pei Wei would also be a good addition.

I'd actually prefer something more local, if possible. We're already getting too many chains downtown. Personally, now that I consider it more, I'm glad PF Chang's located on Memorial, chain restaurant row. We need more unique restaurants in town.

I drove by the Kingman building yesterday and noticed the new logo for Mr. Hinkle's Steakhouse. The logo looks quite attractive...not as nerdy as I thought it would look. It might be a great addition to the Bricktown market, offering an atmosphere not quite as upscale as Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse.

Most of all, I'm glad it's not a chain.

By the way, last I heard, Da Boat isn't doing too bad in Bricktown. Maybe they'll stay for awhile.

Midtowner
03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd actually prefer something more local, if possible. We're already getting too many chains downtown. Personally, now that I consider it more, I'm glad PF Chang's located on Memorial, chain restaurant row. We need more unique restaurants in town.

I drove by the Kingman building yesterday and noticed the new logo for Mr. Hinkle's Steakhouse. The logo looks quite attractive...not as nerdy as I thought it would look. It might be a great addition to the Bricktown market, offering an atmosphere not quite as upscale as Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse.

Most of all, I'm glad it's not a chain.

By the way, last I heard, Da Boat isn't doing too bad in Bricktown. Maybe they'll stay for awhile.

Really? Last time I was at Da Boat, it was a ghost town.

Of course, I usually go on Tuesday/Wednesday nights if I want to drive (free parking is more available).

Patrick
03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Really? Last time I was at Da Boat, it was a ghost town.

Of course, I usually go on Tuesday/Wednesday nights if I want to drive (free parking is more available).

I've heard traffic there really varies. During the NCAA tournament they ran out of food 3 times. I guess it just depends on what events are going on.

metro
05-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Daddy Hinkle's opens meat lovers' restaurant in former Lotus site

By Tricia Pemberton
Business Writer

Daddy Hinkle's Original Steakhouse has opened in Bricktown.
The restaurant at 100 E California Ave., Suite 100, shares its name with Daddy Hinkle's Inc., a company that makes instant meat marinades sold in supermarkets nationwide.

"We're most excited. To have a Tulsa-based company choose Oklahoma City and Bricktown for their first restaurant venture is huge for the district," said Frank Sims, director of the Bricktown Association.

David Southard, part-owner and general manager of Daddy Hinkle's, said the restaurant is named after his great-grandfather, J. Frank Hinkle, whose nickname was Daddy Hinkle.

Hinkle, who died in 1985 at 96, came to Oklahoma before statehood. He later became an oil man and raised cattle.

"A true Oklahoma rags to riches story," Southard said.

The family says Hinkle liked to entertain and developed secret meat marinades that he served to his guests. One Christmas, a cousin sent the marinades to family members and friends as presents. Guests soon asked Daddy Hinkle to sell the meat rubs.

It wasn't until about 10 years ago, however, that Southard's father, David Southard Sr., formed the marinade company.

The marinades are available in three flavors -- Original, Southwest and Hotter than $700, a saying Southard said his great grandmother used in place of an expletive.

Southard said the family always had talked about developing a restaurant that would prominently feature the marinades. When the Asian restaurant, Lotus, closed in Bricktown, Southard, who is also a part-owner and general manager of nearby Bourbon Street Cafe, saw his opportunity.

"I called the family and said, 'Let's do that restaurant we've always talked about.'"

Southard's sister, Lee Merrifield, and longtime family friend, J.R. Dillard, are his business partners. His father, two uncles, two cousins and several other family friends are helping run operations. About 40 employees work at the restaurant.

The 10,000-square-foot restaurant underwent a $15,000 light remodel, according to Oklahoma City building permit records.

Daddy Hinkle's serves sandwiches, burgers, steaks, chicken and pork for lunch, and Angus beef steaks and other entrees for dinner.

"Daddy Hinkle raised Angus cattle, so we thought it was a good tie-in. Plus, the concept is to highlight some of the best things about Oklahoma. Especially in a tourist district, visitors want to see something more local," Southard said.

Midtowner
05-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I went by it last night. I hope they plan for more exterior rennovation. Currently, their exterior signage is no more than a few fabric banners.

They looked fairly pricey, but no worse than most other bricktown restaurants. I'd say a full dinner for 2 would set you back around $60-$70.

metro
05-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm sure the vinyl signs they have out are "temporary" as a standard sign can take awhile and will probably have to go through a Bricktown design committee first also.

asta2
05-13-2005, 11:30 AM
I had lunch at Daddy Hinkles the other day. I have to say it was awsome. They are still slow but have done no advertising yet. That's coming soon. I had an upside down pineapple martini that was great! Food was very flavorful. David of Bourbon Street is part owner.

metro
05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Thank you asta2 for the review. Maybe you can tell us more about the menu, prices, etc. If you are wanting to know more about the ownership relationship, you may want to read the article above if you haven't already

E-Beth
05-26-2005, 02:46 PM
That would be great, Asta2.
As a Hinkle, I'd like to know more about it! it would be awesome to go to the restaurant with the family and check it out(since we already use their marinades and they taste great!) Thanks so much.

btw, I'm Elizabeth, it's nice to meet you guys!