View Full Version : Christmas Parade?

sgt. pepper
10-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Last year i remember some talk on here about a possible Christmas Parade through downtown this year. Does anybody know the status on this?

Larry OKC
10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Might be interesting with the streets torn up

Thunder
10-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Might be interesting with the streets torn up

Yes. The parade of big machines all decorated with the last bulldozer of Santa Claus.

kd5ili
11-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Dragging this up from the dead...the plan is to have the parade in 2012, and possibly an all day event as well. This is in the early organizing stage, so anybody wishing to help out is more than welcome!

Chris

rcjunkie
11-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Dragging this up from the dead...the plan is to have the parade in 2012, and possibly an all day event as well. This is in the early organizing stage, so anybody wishing to help out is more than welcome!

Chris

It's probably just me, but as long as they call it a Holiday parade and not a Christmas parade, I won't volunteer or attend.

ljbab728
11-17-2011, 09:23 PM
It's probably just me, but as long as they call it a Holiday parade and not a Christmas parade, I won't volunteer or attend.

I don't see any official name mentioned here, junkie. Sounds to me like you're finding a reason to get worked up about something before you even know if there is anything to get worked up about. And if it's called a Holiday parade, enjoy your day at home while everyone else is having fun.

rcjunkie
11-18-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't see any official name mentioned here, junkie. Sounds to me like you're finding a reason to get worked up about something before you even know if there is anything to get worked up about. And if it's called a Holiday parade, enjoy your day at home while everyone else is having fun.

Not worked up, just sick and tired of everything having to be "politically correct". It's a parade at Christmas, we are celebrating the birth of Christ, therefor it should be called what it is, a Christmas Parade.

PennyQuilts
11-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Not worked up, just sick and tired of everything having to be "politically correct". It's a parade at Christmas, we are celebrating the birth of Christ, therefor it should be called what it is, a Christmas Parade.

I understand where you are coming from and mean no disrespect, but although I am not a Christian, I sort of think having a parade sort of trivializes the whole sacred memorialization of the birth of the Christ child. A parade and the lights and so forth, seem a lot more like a pagan festival, to me.

Doug Loudenback
11-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Penny, I understand where you are coming from, and I don't disagree with what you are saying and I'm pretty much coming from the religious position that you are. But, aside from religion, the element of nostalgia is very much a part of an event like this ... when you were a kid, did you go to a "Holiday parade," or did you go to a "Christmas parade?" Truth is, and I was born in 1943, such parades were pretty much secular way back then. Santa Claus. Reindeer. Elves. Presents. Christmas candy. Whatever. Getting and wrapping presents and sharing them on Christmas morning. Singing the Christmas tunes. Shoot your eye out.

I have no problem at all in calling this parade what it has been historically called, a Christmas parade. Christmas creche. Manger. Wise men. I mean, if it was a winterfest parade or what not, the parade wouldn't even exist, would it. Truth is, this event centers on the birth of Jesus and there is no avoiding that fact, be one Christian or not. But even non-Christians enjoy the time and there is plenty of elbow room on this event for all to share their remembrances, time with family, good feelings, and be content and enjoy it in the present day, I'm thinking.

kevinpate
11-19-2011, 06:31 AM
There's an old question for folk to chew on ... are secularists out there trying to dismantle Christmas season traditions, or are secularists trying to take back a season of celebration that has origins which were not Christ centered.

RadioOKC
11-19-2011, 11:08 PM
There's an old question for folk to chew on ... are secularists out there trying to dismantle Christmas season traditions, or are secularists trying to take back a season of celebration that has origins which were not Christ centered.
You melting my brain lol! It's Christmas for me. I hope they can do a parade downtown next year. That would be pretty cool. Maybe me might have basketball then too!

Chris
www.clubcountryradio.com

RadioOKC
11-19-2011, 11:08 PM
You melting my brain lol! It's Christmas for me. I hope they can do a parade downtown next year. That would be pretty cool. Maybe me might have basketball then too!

Chris
www.clubcountryradio.com

RadicalModerate
11-19-2011, 11:12 PM
This may be one of those WWJD moments . . .

Would Jesus have wanted a parade for his birthday?
Scripture is silent on this point.

kd5ili
11-20-2011, 05:49 PM
It most definitely will be a Christmas Parade...not holiday, not winter....Christmas. It will pass by the Myriad Gardens and go through Bricktown, and possibly end at one of the boathouses...although the thought of running it either up or down Automobile Alley somehow is an appealing thought as well with all of the lighting there during the Christmas season Maybe end that way at the state Capital. That is still wide open, and may be determined a bit by who comes on board as the main sponsor. We would like to model this after the Chuy's Christmas Parade in Austin where folks bring toys to donate and they are collected by Fire or PD. Thoughts about an all day Christmas Festival in the Myriad gardens are being toyed with as well. We wants this to be a good old fashioned Christmas Celebration for the family with just a touch of modern thrown in (OK, maybe more than just a touch).

Marching bands, floats, fire trucks, entertainers, and of course Santa on a big sleigh. Now that is a parade! Any and all ideas are welcome, as are volunteers. We are currently in the official organization stage and are working on a budget to figure out just how much sponsorship we need. I'll be honest...I have never organized anything even remotely close to this scale, so I am open to any and all advice. The festival in the park would include bands of all types from Wind Ensembles to contemporary groups, as well as other types of arts, games, food, etc.

It's been too long without a Christmas Parade downtown.

Chris

Doug Loudenback
11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I completely agree. I want a Christmas parade ... who doesn't love Christmas? Everyone does. From the movie Love Actually, I present this video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naor_udFrwE

Christmas largely focuses on the creche baby Jesus. But it is not all that there is, no disrespect intended.