View Full Version : Remedy for dry skin

Dustin
10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
My boston terrier always gets dry skin in the fall/winter seasons. We have tried everything! Moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, pills... Ok, not everything. Im afraid to put everything on his sensitive skin. Any recommendations?

fuzzytoad
10-06-2010, 07:12 AM
My boston terrier always gets dry skin in the fall/winter seasons. We have tried everything! Moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, pills... Ok, not everything. Im afraid to put everything on his sensitive skin. Any recommendations?

soak a piece of bread in olive oil and put it in with one of his meals every day

Dustin
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
soak a piece of bread in olive oil and put it in with one of his meals every day

K. Will do. Thanks!

PennyQuilts
10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I was going to say that what he eats might affect his skin condition. You might want to make sure he gets a lamb and rice diet or some other diet that is good for dogs with sensitive skin.

PennyQuilts
10-06-2010, 01:28 PM
You might want to give him some fish oil, too.

Dustin
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for your feedback!

FritterGirl
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I agree with Penny. We have two terrier mixes - one with very light skin which does get dry and flaky in the winter, especially - and we give them fish oil pills daily with their food. Just pop a pill in there and let them have at it, plastic coating and all. Ours love them so much they'll stop eating their food just to have the pill. I think they like it when it "pops" and squirts the oil in their mouth.

There are also several skin and coat supplements available online via Fosters' and Smith. My vet says the fish oil works just as well, and is good for their heart, too.

You may also check their food, as Penny also suggested. Some foods that are too high in carbs (grains) and not enough crude fat or protien can dry out the skin.

When we bathe them, we use a colloidal oatmeal shampoo, which is also better for dry skin than shampoos.

Good luck!

Vegan
10-22-2010, 04:52 AM
How dry is the air in your home? My little one has dry skin problems and she's like an early warning system that I've got to start up the humidifier because I'm next with the dry skin. Running the humidifier (and showering with the door open) really helps us both.

Dustin
10-22-2010, 01:37 PM
The air in my home is fine. I think I'll just have to try the fish oil like Penny suggested.. Also, we have to be careful what we feed him, because his stomach is very sensitive..

Thanks All!

PennyQuilts
10-22-2010, 06:20 PM
The air in my home is fine. I think I'll just have to try the fish oil like Penny suggested.. Also, we have to be careful what we feed him, because his stomach is very sensitive..

Thanks All!

Be sure to give him some regular yogurt for his tummy. Just a spoonful with a meal.

BBatesokc
10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
We had to start using oatmeal shampoo on our dogs too. Stopped their itching.

easternobserver
11-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Purina One Lamb and Rice for food and two fish oil pills a day. Works wonders. Also a couple of spoonfuls of stonyfield farms organic yogurt - my dogs like the vanilla flavor the best.