View Full Version : Oklahoma City creates its own Halloween holiday

fuzzytoad
10-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Oklahoma City creates its own Halloween holiday (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-re-creates-halloween-themes-plans/article/3500766)

Umm, no thanks City Council.. I won't participate in your idiotic "Meet and Treat"

I'll celebrate Halloween on Oct 31, along with the rest of the planet...

If you guys have nothing better to do in your council meeting other than deciding which Holidays need to be revamped and rescheduled, I'll be happy to stop by and update your to-do list..

Dustin
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Its actually a good idea. It gives the kids a day to work off the sugar high before school. Unless of course they trick or treat two nights in a row......

Spartan
10-02-2010, 03:47 PM
That is idiotic.

OSUMom
10-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I bet the kids will trick or treat two nights in a row. I know I feel like I need to have candy on hand both nights.

kevinpate
10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I might be mistaken, but I think Norman has done this before, and may also be doing it this year.
I've always assumed it was so the parents could keep Sundays for churchy items and kiddos still got their sugar rush on.

Easy180
10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Think good ole Moore moved to sat as well

As a parent I am definitely happy...I don't like to do shizz on Sunday nights

LordGerald
10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Last year, Oct. 31 fell on a Saturday, and the city of Norman PD moved Halloween night to Friday the 30th, because OU had a home night game against Colorado. This year, the OKC Thunder plays a home game on Sunday, Oct. 31. Alas! OU also plays a home game on Saturday, Oct. 30. So, what is the city of Norman going to do?

LordGerald
10-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Oops, I meant KSU. Point is, is that the kids in Moore got to go Trick or Treatin' on Friday night in Norman, then Saturday night in Moore last year.

Platemaker
10-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Effing stoooopid.

Thunder
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
That is idiotic.

Once again, another negative post.

Seriously, look at the calender. The 31st falls on Sunday. We do not need children out late at night when the next day is a school day. I seriously advise you to check the calender.

I think everywhere should have it done on Saturday this year. It is a perfect night. Although I think we'll be wearing costumes at work on Sunday, I think, if they let us do it again this year.

Larry OKC
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
If it is really a "school night" issue, why don't they move it when it falls on a Wed? The article said they wouldn't do that. Late at night? School aged kids that are T&T should easily be done and home in bed well before "late" happens.

Thunder
10-03-2010, 02:13 AM
If it is really a "school night" issue, why don't they move it when it falls on a Wed? The article said they wouldn't do that. Late at night? School aged kids that are T&T should easily be done and home in bed well before "late" happens.

To the kids, when it is dark outside, it is late. And daylight is getting short.

Larry OKC
10-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Exactly, Thunder..the kids think it is late but in reality it isn't late at all...plenty of time for them to get to bed for school the next morning. This isn't like staying up until midnight for New Years eve or anything.

Thunder
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Trick or Treat has always been commonly started just as the sun sets or shortly after it begins to get darker. It takes hours to walk all over several neighborhoods. So, yes, it should be moved to Saturday. Any other years having Halloween during the weekdays should have schools declared closed the next day.

Those midgets and dwarfs are very lucky to continue going trick or treating for years and still trick people into thinking they are little kids. :-O

oklanole
10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Trick or Treat has always been commonly started just as the sun sets or shortly after it begins to get darker. It takes hours to walk all over several neighborhoods. So, yes, it should be moved to Saturday. Any other years having Halloween during the weekdays should have schools declared closed the next day.

Those midgets and dwarfs are very lucky to continue going trick or treating for years and still trick people into thinking they are little kids. :-O

Did I miss the sarcasm here or are you being serious?

megax11
10-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Gotta love republicans... Always know what to do.

They know what america needs so much, that they gave us a recession. *gives two thumbs up*

Sometimes I hate knowing I live in a republican state, full of idiots who think about themselves, and don't put priorities where needed.

jmarkross
10-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Gotta love republicans... Always know what to do.

They know what america needs so much, that they gave us a recession. *gives two thumbs up*

Sometimes I hate knowing I live in a republican state, full of idiots who think about themselves, and don't put priorities where needed.

I retired here a few years back after several decades in California. It is only fair--that you should move there and enjoy the never-ending bliss of dimmycrats...might want to take a bulletproof vest as well and learn to speak Spanish--to understand why the gun is in your ribs in the shopping center parking lot......one can only blame oneself for his choices of residence...and BTW the taxes will knock your socks off--before they are confiscated...

acumpton
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Okay kids, back to the original post please.

I think Norman is going to be keeping it on October 31st from what I read. I would wish they would have moved it to Saturday like they did last year just because of it being a school night.

Spartan
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Once again, another negative post.

Seriously, look at the calender. The 31st falls on Sunday. We do not need children out late at night when the next day is a school day. I seriously advise you to check the calender.

I think everywhere should have it done on Saturday this year. It is a perfect night. Although I think we'll be wearing costumes at work on Sunday, I think, if they let us do it again this year.

Halloween is on the 31st. Sunday isn't the only school night during the week, either. In fact most of them are..

krisb
10-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow...you guys scare me. Let the kids do trick or treat on Saturday night. The other adult children can have their fun on the 31st. What's the big deal?

ljbab728
10-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I can't see what all of the fuss is about. This is nothing new at all. Changing the official night for "trick or treat" has been going on in cities here and around the country for years. It doesn't make anything illegal and everyone can choose to follow or disobey the guidelines as they please.

bombermwc
10-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Midwest City has moved it several times. And when it falls in the middle of the week, they have moved it to a friday or saturday night as well. So it's not like cities havne't done this a million times. The whole point is to try and not make it a "school night". But hey, guess what, play the role of parent and you won't have an issue. Don't let your kid stay out until midnight on a school night just because it's halloween. Don't let your kid eat the candy that night. I don't know, how about you go with your kid when they go out so you can keep an eye on them too....what a concept.

Lord Helmet
10-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand why they are moving it. It can't be a school night thing. Surely it's not a church thing? What, God doesn't like candy? There isn't enough time in the day for Jesus AND Trick or Treating?

SkyWestOKC
10-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand why they are moving it. It can't be a school night thing. Surely it's not a church thing? What, God doesn't like candy? There isn't enough time in the day for Jesus AND Trick or Treating?

Sunday is a school night. Friday and Saturday are not school nights. I don't think this has anything to do with church or religion. I do think it's a smart idea to do this on Saturday. For teenagers this isn't an issue, but for little ones, as much sleep as possible is best. I wish I went to bed on time back then, looking back makes me realize how bad of a habit I set back then which continues to this day.

In fact, I'd argue that putting this on Saturday night would confirm that church was not considered, if it was because of church, they would have put it on Friday night so the kids would still go to bed early to make it up in time for church.

MadMonk
10-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Think good ole Moore moved to sat as well
As a parent I am definitely happy...I don't like to do shizz on Sunday nights
Same here.

Doug Loudenback
10-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Exactly. Halloween falls on a Monday next year. Perhaps council will move the day to Sunday, since it is on a weekend. Or Saturday following or before the 31st. These guys can really be transparent when they put their minds to it.

Doug Loudenback
10-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Wow...you guys scare me. Let the kids do trick or treat on Saturday night. The other adult children can have their fun on the 31st. What's the big deal?
Hypocrisy.

BBatesokc
10-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm good with Saturday night. I don't know about your neighborhoods but around here it isn't just about 6 year olds being walked by their parents house to house at sunset. Many of these trick-or-treaters are teenagers and will ring your door bell all the way up to 11pm if your porch light is on (which ours always is). We also tend to have alot of general noise on the streets during that time. Moving it to Saturday would seem to be the most accommodating. As a kid I often remember asking what night trick-or-treating would be celebrated because it would change on occasion.

What I love is the irony of all you adults throwing a tantrum on this thread about when trick-or-treating will be. Do any of you actually care and will it effect you in any real way? do you think kids mind going a night early then spending Sunday finishing off their candy with friends? I think this is really just about wanting to disagree.

bombermwc
10-05-2010, 07:27 AM
As for a church thing...my church has it's own Halloween thing at the church on Halloween. Halo-ween. It may be paganistic, but so are a lot of other things...so what.

Lord Helmet
10-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Sunday is a school night. Friday and Saturday are not school nights. I don't think this has anything to do with church or religion.

What will they do about it when it falls on a weeknight..say...Tuesday or Wednesday? I'm pretty sure that it isn't regularly moved to the weekend then.

BDP
10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
It doesn't make anything illegal and everyone can choose to follow or disobey the guidelines as they please.

Which is exactly why the city doesn't need to do ANYTHING about it.

Do any of you actually care and will it effect you in any real way?

Apparently, the city does or they wouldn't have done anything about it.

If you have kids and you keep them up too late, that is your fault. It is in no way the city's responsibility to get your kids to bed at an appropriate time. The effect is that they have created TWO Halloweens, the real one and this made up one. As a parent, I see that as completely unnecessary.

Unless, of course, they will move all holidays to accomodate everyone as well. I'd like Christmas to be on Fridays or Saturdays so I don't have to work the next day and can spend more time with my family. And can we please move our Thanksgiving to a week earlier so I can save on plane fare or possibly even use my miles? It would also be really nice to have two days to recover from New Years (Friday would be awesome!). For our Jewish friends, can we make Hanukkah stay put around Christmas so they can have some time off at their holidays as well?? Does Easter ALWAYS have to be a Sunday... not in Oklahoma City, where calendars (both Hebrew and Gregorian) are merely suggestion and are subject to city council resolution.

okclee
10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I also don't like the color green on St. Patty's day, can we do something about that?

Larry OKC
10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm good with Saturday night. I don't know about your neighborhoods but around here it isn't just about 6 year olds being walked by their parents house to house at sunset. Many of these trick-or-treaters are teenagers and will ring your door bell all the way up to 11pm if your porch light is on (which ours always is). ...

It has been my experience that the old fashioned trick or treat through the neighborhood has diminished over the years to where it is practically non-existent now. It has been replaced by churches having "Harvest Festivals" and community based events at malls, the Zoo, etc.

Someone mentioned that trick or treating can take hours. Hours??? Really? Even when I was growing up, it was an under an hour thing, max. You only did your own neighborhood at peoples houses you knew. Even then, there was a certain "don't take candy from strangers". And we had to toss anything that wasn't wrapped or if it looked like it had been messed with etc. Homemade goods (popcorn balls etc) were ONLY to to eaten if you KNEW where they came from.

BBatesokc
10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Around here, we get the traditional little kids but we also get lots of teens that are 16 and up. We also always get at least 1-3 ADULTS ~ when they are at your door it feels more like a strong arm candy robbery!

ljbab728
10-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Halloween is not even an official day or holiday. Remember that the government bends the calendar every year when we celebrate actual holidays like Presidents Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, or Columbus Day. Those are rarely on the actual or original days and we all survive just fine.

Larry OKC
10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Point taken, but there is a national standard (and they were shifted so government workers could have a paid, 3 day weekend). Some holidays are fixed date (New Years, Christmas, Valentines, etc), others are flex (Thanksgiving). But the point is, they are generally observed the same day nationwide. If they want to make Halloween one of the flex dates, thats fine (the last Sat of Oct or something), but it needs to be at least state-wide or nation wide.

Thunder
10-05-2010, 11:17 PM
The last Saturday of the month is great.

I do remember how different it was years ago when there was more kids and more houses to get candies. We're talking at least 5 mega bags all full. Yes, back then, it took hours to cover several neighborhoods. I remember mom driving us out to a neighborhood near PSM. We covered a lot of places! Before the stupid daylight time change to delay it after Halloween, it was dark way earlier than it does now and kids would be out until around midnight.

Now... Not so much. Very few houses. Less kids. It is sad.

ljbab728
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Point taken, but there is a national standard (and they were shifted so government workers could have a paid, 3 day weekend). Some holidays are fixed date (New Years, Christmas, Valentines, etc), others are flex (Thanksgiving). But the point is, they are generally observed the same day nationwide. If they want to make Halloween one of the flex dates, thats fine (the last Sat of Oct or something), but it needs to be at least state-wide or nation wide.

But the point is that Halloween is not a holiday at all. Unless it is, there is no point in setting a national or state-wide consensus. No one ever gets the day off from work for Halloween unless it's just a personal vacation day so the day of the week doesn't matter for that. The only thing that's affected is just some individual preferences for evening activities. It's kind of like if your birthday is on a Wednesday and you can't go out to eat or to celebrate on Wednesday, you can go out on Saturday and all is still good. It's no big deal and you can still have a good time except for being a year older.

Larry OKC
10-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Just because it isn't a federal, paid holiday, doesn't mean it isn't a holiday. We have quite a few of those on the calendar. Are you saying Halloween, Valentines Day etc aren't holidays?

Thunder
10-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Just because it isn't a federal, paid holiday, doesn't mean it isn't a holiday. We have quite a few of those on the calendar. Are you saying Halloween, Valentines Day etc aren't holidays?

Did you know that Crest demand us to work holidays with no holiday pay. :-(

I am happy to see Halloween moved to Saturday, on my night off, now if we can just somehow get the medias to effectively let everyone know...

I remember one of my final years, brother and I went out trick-or-treating in Del City only to find less houses and this guy at a house told us that it was already done "yesterday" which was a surprise to us. So... Be prepared to have visitors on both nights.

BDP
10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Halloween is not even an official day or holiday. Remember that the government bends the calendar every year when we celebrate actual holidays like Presidents Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, or Columbus Day. Those are rarely on the actual or original days and we all survive just fine.

I think that's the point. Since it's not official, that is something where they have to tell us when it is, then just leave it alone. And even if it's not "official", in other words a government holiday, that doesn't make it any less of a holiday. Hanukkah, Easter, Good Friday, Rosh Hashanah, St Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day (the list does go one).... none of them are official federal or state holidays, but I think it would be hard to argue that they aren't holidays and all of them are dictated by the calendar.

Lord Helmet
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
The should have just left it alone. There isn't any good reason to move it.

ljbab728
10-06-2010, 11:37 PM

That's exactly what I'm saying. Unless it's a day when at least some of the population get off work, it's not a holiday. I have never heard anyone say that Valentine's Day is a holiday. It doesn't mean you can't plan events and celebrate, it's just not a holiday anymore than my birthday is. We have a lot of events such as St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo where a lot of celebrations occur. It certainly doesn't mean that they are holidays in the US. And as for Lord Helmet's concern about something being moved, that hasn't happened. The city can't officially move anything. It's just a recommendation or suggestion. Whether the city should get involved at all is a different matter.

Platemaker
10-06-2010, 11:47 PM
You're confusing.... say 'bank holiday' or something... they most certainly are holidays... not simply 'days with celebrations and events.'

ljbab728
10-06-2010, 11:58 PM
You're confusing.... say 'bank holiday' or something... they most certainly are holidays... not simply 'days with celebrations and events.'

It's not confusing at all. You can say "bank holiday" or "legal holiday" but unless it's a day when people are given days off work, the discussion we are having isn't relevant in the least. Is Mother's Day or Father's Day a holiday? Of course not, but it's still a day for special celebrations and events. Probably about half of the days in the year have some kind of special designation somewhere in the country without being holidays.

Larry OKC
10-07-2010, 12:42 AM
So by this line of reasoning, Crest employees don't have any holidays?

As far as your birthday goes, there are companies that give their employees the day off (with pay).

ljbab728
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
So by this line of reasoning, Crest employees don't have any holidays?

As far as your birthday goes, there are companies that give their employees the day off (with pay).

You'll note that my statement was that something should only be considered a holiday when it's a special named day when people are given days off work. I didn't say it was a day when everyone was off work. And having a day off work for your birthday or even every Saturday or Sunday does not make it a holiday so what's your point? I'm sure you can find some obscure days all over country when some people are given a day off but my discussion is about national days. With that said, you can observe any day you wish any way you wish and if you want to feel that it's a holiday you're free to do so. It's just nothing official.

BDP
10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
I have never heard anyone say that Valentine's Day is a holiday.

I've never even heard anyone say it wasn't a holiday, until now.

Unless it's a day when at least some of the population get off work, it's not a holiday.

Uh, what? So Hanukkah is only a holiday when it coincides with Christmas and people get days off?

There are plenty of holidays that people do not get days off for. They are still holidays. Plus, there are many officially observed holidays where people don't get a day off. In fact, in many places, Halloween is one of them. Very odd to suggest that businesses and/or the government have to sanction a holiday before we can call it a holiday.

jmarkross
10-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Perhaps...Legal and Traditional Holidays...

Thunder
10-14-2010, 01:49 PM
"Columbus" Day caused the banks and city offices to close. No one get holiday pay for this crappy "holiday."

PennyQuilts
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Holiday comes from Holy Day, and stemmed from religious observance. A lot of paganistic holidays (holy day, remember) were taken over by christianity but we still have them - St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, May Day, Easter. Other religions also have their holy days/holidays. We call days off from the government holidays but that is merely borrowing from the original meaning. The whole notion that it isn't a holiday unless you get the day off is odd.

ljbab728
10-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion of what a holiday is and I stand by mine. Is National Secretary's Day (or now Administrative Professional Day) a holiday? As I have mentioned before nearly every day in the year has some kind of special designation in at least some areas and that doesn't make them a holiday. Everyone is free to celebrate or not celebrate and work or not work as they please so it doesn't really matter that much what you call it.

PennyQuilts
10-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion of what a holiday is and I stand by mine. Is National Secretary's Day (or now Administrative Professional Day) a holiday? As I have mentioned before nearly every day in the year has some kind of special designation in at least some areas and that doesn't make them a holiday. Everyone is free to celebrate or not celebrate and work or not work as they please so it doesn't really matter that much what you call it.
National Secretaries Day is not a legal holiday, as in off work, nor is it a traditional celebration that would qualify for the original meaning of the word, holy day. You are free, of course, to make up definitions as you see fit. I don't know of anyone who thinks those types of proclamations are actually holidays. It is just the legislature doing the work of the people... (and getting paid very well for it.

ljbab728
10-15-2010, 10:45 PM
National Secretaries Day is not a legal holiday, as in off work, nor is it a traditional celebration that would qualify for the original meaning of the word, holy day. You are free, of course, to make up definitions as you see fit. I don't know of anyone who thinks those types of proclamations are actually holidays. It is just the legislature doing the work of the people... (and getting paid very well for it.

I'm not looking for an argument but I just wonder how you classify Mother's Day or Father's Day? And since this discussion got started concerning Halloween, it's not a legal holiday and, while it is a traditional celebration which may have had it's roots in religion, I don't think it would quailify under any traditional religion's definition of a holy day in modern times.

Larry OKC
10-17-2010, 01:35 AM
From Wikipedia

Origin of name
The word Halloween is first attested in the 16th century and represents a Scottish variant of the fuller All-Hallows-Even ("evening"), that is, the night before All Hallows Day. Up through the early 20th century, the spelling "Hallowe'en" was frequently used, eliding the "v" and shortening the word. Although the phrase All Hallows is found in Old English (ealra hįlȝena męssedęȝ, the feast of all saints), All-Hallows-Even is itself not attested until 1556.[10]

and I found this interesting

Shakespeare mentions the practice (dressing up for trick or treating) in his comedy The Two Gentlemen of Verona (1593), when Speed accuses his master of "puling [whimpering or whining] like a beggar at Hallowmas."[22]

Similar to the word "Christmas"

Check out Wiki and others, the religious significance is more observed in other countries, but definitely observed.

oneforone
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
This may have already been mentioned. (I Don't feel up to reading 55 posts on this.)

Take your kids on both nights. Enough Said!

Pete
10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
This is from last year.