View Full Version : 'Sister Wives' under investigation - Reality show premiere launches polygamy inquiry

BBatesokc
09-29-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm a real reality TV junkie to a point (Hoarders, First 48, Big Brother - YES. Pawn, Stars, Pit Boss, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Operation Repo - No)

Just tuned in to the new reality show called 'Sister Wives' about a guy in Utah (go figure) with multiple 'wives' and children.

No idea if its a realistic portrayal of the polygamist lifestyle or not, but I found the first episode interesting.

Well, it seems now that Utah authorities have launched a full scale felony polygamy criminal investigation into the family (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/29/earlyshow/living/parenting/main6910812.shtml).

Was wondering what your thoughts are?

Me personally, if there is no evidence of 'child brides' or abuse, and if the man is legally only married to one of the women he calls his wife, then what do I care.

Midtowner
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Me personally, if there is no evidence of 'child brides' or abuse, and if the man is legally only married to one of the women he calls his wife, then what do I care.

I don't understand how it's even constitutional to make associations between two consenting adults illegal.

The case weighing in on the subject is a 1878 case and the subject has not been revisited. There are speech cases which proceeded down similar veins and have since been overturned, so Reynolds v. United States could very well be old/bad law at this point.

BBatesokc
09-29-2010, 01:29 PM
I like the line, "If he would have called them mistresses and not wives then it would all be good."

I assumed being married to only one woman would be his best defense, but according to the law it doesn't matter.

I assume the state must know it's on shakey ground though since they almost always pursue child rape, domestic violence, etc. over just polygamy.

I hope they file and he wins.

SoonerQueen
09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
I watched the show, and they all seemed like nice people. I am of the opinion that one wife should be enough, and since that's the way the laws are set up, you should go along with the program or try to get the laws changed. We all know that isn't going to happen. I personally wouldn't want to share my husband with others, sister wives or not. It's an interesting concept though and interesting viewing.

kevinpate
09-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I like the line, "If he would have called them mistresses and not wives then it would all be good."

But if he called them mistresses he wouldn't be using plig-talk :)
:sofa:

Thunder
10-02-2010, 02:04 AM
I am of the opinion that one wife should be enough, and since that's the way the laws are set up, you should go along with the program or try to get the laws changed.

Just because a law says a guy can't have multiple wives does not make it right. You do know it is unfair, because a guy can have multiple girlfriends and sex partners, but a guy can't have multiple wives. Something is very wrong here... Right, our chitty government. Do you not realize how the government is dictating the lives of billions?

I'll agree with Brian, let the lame state take action....I'll be rooting for the family to win.