View Full Version : New - MUST SEE - OKC Video; Chamber of Commerce.

okclee
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10BE8WCeomo

Doug Loudenback
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice video. The Chamber does its job well.

Platemaker
09-28-2010, 01:28 PM
HA!

There's jbrown at 3:05!

OKC@heart
09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
That was really well done, content, and editing! I hope that it gets sent everywhere!!! This is great PR! But then what's not to love?

BDP
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice video. I think the video clips were a little disjointed at times, but the footage was great.

The best part about it is that the chamber doesn't have to make anything up anymore and they can actually include respected references to support their boasting.

okclee
09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
This video should be sent out to everyone you know that doesn't live in Okc. I have already forwarded it to many and had some amazing responses.

OKCRT
09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Right at 1.3 mil. in metro area so I wonder why they used 1.2 mil? I assume they are not counting the Shawnee area as in metro area. Overall it's a nice video that give outsiders a looksee.

I wonder why they didn't show any of the slums?

MustangGT
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Good video.

Thundercitizen
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Great PR video. Fast and upbeat and incorporates just enough video tricks/effects for polish.

Could have conveyed the construction/infrastructure/growth aspect of the metro with a tad more focus on the Devon tower, the native american project, Core-to-Shore, and planning for a massive convention center...things I'd think other, potential businesses would also be looking at.

jbrown84
09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
HA!

There's jbrown at 3:05!

Blink and you miss it! I'd have never noticed...

HOT ROD
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
guys, I think the film might have been put together last year or they are at least using statistics and footage from last year. That could explain why they didn't use the 1.3M figure for the metro. I also wouldn't expect the city chamber to focus only on one aspect of growth (Devon) but I do think they could have mentioned growth of the economy overall - healthcare/bio reserach, energy, and aerospace. The film 'hinted' at it but I think that is where they could have shown the new skyscraper and other buildings under construction. But again, I think it was ommitted mainly because they used last year as the baseline (and not this year).

OKCDrummer77
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
At least one shot was even older. In the last skyline fly-by right at the end, the Chase/Cotter/whatever building still has the "Bank1One" logo on top.

Very nice video, anyway.

HOT ROD
09-29-2010, 03:04 AM
yep, very nice - high class!

aintaokie
09-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Nice..........

okclee
09-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Here is the direct Youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10BE8WCeomo

metro
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Maybe they didn't use the 1.3MM figure because Shawnee really isn't a part of the metro area, sure it's counted in the CSMA stats, but come on folks, it's far enough detached that it's not the metro and it makes us look lame to claim it.

OKCRT
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Claiming Shawnee is not much different than claiming Norman IMO. It's is part of the greater OKC metro area. I don't see how this would be lame to claim that area. There are other cities that go farther out than OKC in their msa.

ljbab728
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Maybe they didn't use the 1.3MM figure because Shawnee really isn't a part of the metro area, sure it's counted in the CSMA stats, but come on folks, it's far enough detached that it's not the metro and it makes us look lame to claim it.

El Reno, Guthrie, and Chickasha are counted in the metro population. Shawnee is no more detached.

Larry OKC
09-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Shoot, if Chickasha etc are included, how about Chandler? About the same travel time on the respective turnpikes....Norman, Shawnee etc should NOT be included as part of the OKC areas numbers (IMO)

ljbab728
09-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Shoot, if Chickasha etc are included, how about Chandler? About the same travel time on the respective turnpikes....Norman, Shawnee etc should NOT be included as part of the OKC areas numbers (IMO)

In that case you would have to change the way population figures are arrived at everywhere in the country. That is very common and is not unique to OKC. See below:

In the United States, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has produced a formal definition of metropolitan areas. These are referred to as "Metropolitan Statistical Areas" (MSAs) and "Combined Statistical Areas." An earlier version of the MSA was the "Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area" (SMSA). MSAs are composed of counties and for some county equivalents[1]. In New England, because of the greater importance of towns over counties, similar areas are defined based on town units, known as New England City and Town Areas (NECTAs).

MSAs are delineated on the basis of a central urbanized area—a contiguous area of relatively high population density. The counties containing the core urbanized area are known as the central counties of the MSA. Additional surrounding counties (known as outlying counties) can be included in the MSA if these counties have strong social and economic ties to the central counties as measured by commuting and employment. Note that some areas within these outlying counties may actually be rural in nature.

MSAs are used for official purposes, but they are not the only estimates of metro area populations available. The appropriate figures for some metro areas are much debated, and in some cases reputable sources provide figures which differ by millions. The most contentious examples include the Greater Los Angeles Area, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Greater Cleveland. The official definitions used for the last U.S. Census differed from those for previous censuses, making comparisons difficult even between official figures at different dates (comparing 2000 with 1990, Baltimore was separated from Washington, D.C., but West Palm Beach was combined with Miami-Fort Lauderdale, which made a considerable difference to the rankings of both metros). Care should also be taken when comparing MSA figures with population figures for cities or metro areas outside the U.S., which may be based on substantially different boundary systems and definitions of terms. Additionally, MSA boundaries do not stretch into neighboring Canada or Mexico, so the actual metropolitan populations of border cities such as Detroit, Buffalo, El Paso and San Diego are often substantially larger than their MSA figures.

As of June 2003, there is now an additional classification, that of a “Metropolitan Division.” The term metropolitan division is used to refer to a county or group of closely-tied contiguous counties that serve as a distinct employment region within a metropolitan statistical area that has a population core of at least 2.5 million. While a metropolitan division is a subdivision of a larger metropolitan statistical area, it often functions as a distinct social, economic, and cultural area within the larger region.

Larry OKC
09-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Fine by me, do it!

ljbab728
09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Fine by me, do it!

You'll have to lobby the OMB then, I know I'm very powerful but I don't quite think I can pull that off. LOL

dankrutka
09-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Claiming Shawnee is not much different than claiming Norman IMO. It's is part of the greater OKC metro area. I don't see how this would be lame to claim that area. There are other cities that go farther out than OKC in their msa.

Parts of north Norman are within a few minutes and a couple mile or so from OKC. There is also continuous population in several areas (with Moore in between of course). The same can not be said for Shawnee. I actually think there is a big difference between the 2.

ljbab728
09-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Parts of north Norman are within a few minutes and a couple mile or so from OKC. There is also continuous population in several areas (with Moore in between of course). The same can not be said for Shawnee. I actually think there is a big difference between the 2.

As I showed previously, it has nothing to do with what OKC claims. It has to do with how the government calculates the population. It doesn't have to be a continuous population area to be included.

Architect2010
09-30-2010, 12:10 AM
So what some of you guys are saying is that Shawnee shouldn't be included just because they're isn't continuous urbanization from OKC to there? Ridiculous. In a few decade's time there will be no country between the two. It's all one in the same. Whether we count it now or not, it will eventually be consumed by the growing OKC metropolitan area.

Larry OKC
09-30-2010, 12:19 AM
When it becomes continuous in a few decades, then you can include it, but until then, I say leave it out. Just as there used to be a definite stopping point from OKC and Moore and even more pronounced between Moore and Norman. At least along I-35, it is becoming harder to tell where one stops and the other starts.

HOT ROD
09-30-2010, 01:17 AM
relax Larry, Shawnee isn't included in OKC's 1.25 million MSA metro numbers.

Shawnee is part of the CSA but not the MSA. I imagine soon, however, that Stillwater will be included in the CSA as it is already in OKC market and only 45 miles away from downtown.

Here in Seattle, the MSA claims areas 70 miles away and it is NOT continuous. Just so happens the counties are very large in area here. This is why you always hear about "Greater Seattle Tacoma" as 3.8 million people, but in reality - that is almost the entire Puget Sound outside of the North part towards Vancouver BC Canada. ....

That's quite a wide area of Greater "Seattle" yet the true MSA is really just King, Kitsap, and Snohomish counties (population of about 2.5 million). Tacoma is really separate and with Olympia/Thurstan should stand alone at 1 million. But the government lumps everything together, and calls it all Seattle (or occasionally Seattle-Tacoma).

You want to talk about a contiguous metro, see Chicago. for miles and miles on hand, you have continuous development. Milwaukee should really be part of Greater Chicago, but for political reasons they draw the line at Racine, WI. LA/SD/Riverside is another example.

metro
09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
or SoCal, pretty much solid city from SD to LA.

Catty Encores
09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I think this video is awesome!

OKCisOK4me
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Stillwater is not 45 miles from downtown. It was exactly 50 miles from my fraternity house in Stillwater to my parent's driveway in north Edmond, just a mile south of the Logan County line. Probably more like 65 miles...

Oh, and the video was great! I put it up on my Facebook last night...

Pete
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Nicely done.

And to think, it's already out of date! So many things happening now they'll have to re-do it in a year or two....

Imagine Boathouse Row all illuminated in neon at dusk, with the completed Devon Tower and rest of the skyline behind it.

And the newly remodeled and expanded Ford Center, all the downtown streets completely redone, the new and improved Myriad Gardens, the new I-40 with Skydance Bridge, the American Indian Cultural Center, all the shiny new construction at the HSC, etc., etc.

BTW, it would be cool for them to include the holiday lights of Automobile Alley and the CHK campus, as both are absolutely stunning. And I bet a Devon Tower light show or two is in our future.

Chautauqua
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
So what some of you guys are saying is that Shawnee shouldn't be included just because they're isn't continuous urbanization from OKC to there? Ridiculous. In a few decade's time there will be no country between the two. It's all one in the same. Whether we count it now or not, it will eventually be consumed by the growing OKC metropolitan area.

Good lord, I hope not.

okclee
09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
The video has been viewed over 1000 times more just since being linked to Okctalk, that is just over 48 hours ago. When I linked this thread to youtube the view count was at 1623 as of now it is at 2691.

HOT ROD
09-30-2010, 06:11 PM
I will put it on the national boards.

It's OKC's Time!

Thunder
10-04-2010, 05:05 AM
The video was lame. Was there any voice speaking anything at all? If so, then this is one hella inaccessible video.

MidTowner, do I have grounds to sue?

Larry OKC
10-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Thunder, another negative post? LOL

There was about 5 minutes of voice over...are your speakers/sound turned on?

Thunder
10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Thunder, another negative post? LOL

There was about 5 minutes of voice over...are your speakers/sound turned on?

You forgot that I am deaf. What pisses me a lot is that this video came from the Chamber of Commerce and that is a part of OKC. It is inexcusable for not making this video accessible. Who knows how many deaf members we have on here. Hell, I can't even pass this video onto the thousands of deaf people in the state subscribed to a group on Yahoo. Whoever made this video should be ashamed of themselves.

Larry OKC
10-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Thunder, thanks for the clarification, I didn't know you are deaf. Maybe there is a close captioned version of it...anyone know?

Thunder
10-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Larry, I know the video is mainly for online. Not sure if it is shown on TV.

CC is not quite there yet for the Internet. Quite sad we can't enjoy videos and movies online. Even on our smartphones.

I do know that YouTube is working on new technology to display CC/subtitle with voice recognition, but far from perfect. I believe it is heavy in beta testing. Not all videos have this feature (dunno why), but some videos do. I'd say another 5 years.

Still, OKC should've paid for prepared CC on the video that we can switch it on. YouTube has that option, but only if the person have the CC stuff within the video. It is like VHS/DVD, it is on there, but only viewable when its switched on thru the TV.

okclee
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
The video has been viewed over 1000 times more just since being linked to Okctalk, that is just over 48 hours ago. When I linked this thread to youtube the view count was at 1623 as of now it is at 2691.

View count = 4270, after two weeks being on Okctalk.

I'm sending this video link out along with the USA Today 10/12/10 article and now today's Forbes news of top 5 fastest growing cities.

RadioOKC
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Sending this out on Facebook and Twitter now! This is great stuff!!

Chris
http://radiookc.com