View Full Version : World Market - possible in OKC?

bombermwc
09-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Hopefully someone else has been to a World Market before and can vouche for it's awesomeness. I actually emailed them this weekend asking about the potential for coming to OKC. They've got them all over Dallas, and one in Wichita and Amarillo. So we're only 3 hours from one, but we're also in prime real estate land for "connecting the dots" for the company.

They do have wine at their stores, but then again Whole Foods did too. So since Whole Foods managed to figure it out, I hope they can work out a similar situation to make it work!!!!

jmarkross
09-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Hopefully someone else has been to a World Market before and can vouche for it's awesomeness. I actually emailed them this weekend asking about the potential for coming to OKC. They've got them all over Dallas, and one in Wichita and Amarillo. So we're only 3 hours from one, but we're also in prime real estate land for "connecting the dots" for the company.

They do have wine at their stores, but then again Whole Foods did too. So since Whole Foods managed to figure it out, I hope they can work out a similar situation to make it work!!!!
Their website (if I found the right one) says...CostPlus on the banner...is it associated with the CostPlus Imports of San Francisco fame?

stlokc
09-27-2010, 07:07 AM
I shop frequently at World Market and I think they would be a great fit for OKC.

FritterGirl
09-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Man, I hate being a Debbie Downer, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing one here, but it would be doubtful that I'd shop there. I've been to two: the first was one of their landmark stores in San Francisco, the other in the Westport area of Kansas City. Just wasn't that impressed. Kind of a cheap-o Pier One and I just didn't see much I really wanted or had use for... and not for lack of trying.

metro
09-27-2010, 08:02 AM
I shop at one in Dallas by the Galleria in Addison when I'm down there, but it doesn't carry wine. Love WM. As far as possible in OKC, well I think you answered your own question when you said Amarillo and Wichita have one. I do like some of the things they carry, but I agree with FritterGirl, alot of it is cheap Pier1 stuff that you can find here.

jmarkross
09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Man, I hate being a Debbie Downer, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing one here, but it would be doubtful that I'd shop there. I've been to two: the first was one of their landmark stores in San Francisco, the other in the Westport area of Kansas City. Just wasn't that impressed. Kind of a cheap-o Pier One and I just didn't see much I really wanted or had use for... and not for lack of trying.

Same thing I was thinking...little creosote-stained boxes from Mexico and 35,000 little carved-up brass "things" from India...and the whole place smelled like incense...but worth a look-see from time to time...

jdcf
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
We occasionally go to the store in Frisco/Plano area for beer and seasonal foods, candy, etc.

I thought at one time a store was opening in the Owasso Smith Farm shopping center but that the company squelched expansion plans.

I think the store is ok enough--not a must stop when we go to Dallas but a sometimes place.

Debzkidz
09-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I shopped at one occasionally when I lived in Houston. Still always make a stop at the one College Station when I'm there.

poe
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I frequent the one here in Amarillo, mainly for the wine. They do have some relatively good dish ware and coffee, but nothing spectacular.

Pete
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Their wine section isn't huge so I doubt that would keep them out of Oklahoma.

I like their stores. They have some interesting exotic foods and spices and they have lots of stylish and inexpensive household items.

progressiveboy
09-27-2010, 07:22 PM

They do have wine at their stores, but then again Whole Foods did too. So since Whole Foods managed to figure it out, I hope they can work out a similar situation to make it work!!!!Wow! That is pretty sad that Amarillo and Wichita have Cost Plus and OKC doesn't. What gives? I think that OKC would support it. I personally like their stores. I do not live far from the Galleria Dallas store across the street from Crate and Barrel so I frequent the store about 4-5 times a year.

bombermwc
09-28-2010, 07:01 AM
The ones i've been in carry a wide variety of international foods that are hard to find here in OKC. So that's what excites me the most. We found a large painting for our living room at the one in Dallas for not a lot (it would have been $100 more at a similar store in OKC)....good thing it fit in the little saturn I had at the time...barely.

The jewelry is nifty (or so my wife says, i'm not a jewelry fanatic or anything).

Now I would sort of agree on the furniture stuff, it's not really that special, but that's not really why I go there. If you've never been to the Burlington on 240, you should go there. There is a HUGE amount of stuff there at a great price...just like WM and P1, but sometimes a better quality.

But I still want a WM here...LOL!

Larry OKC
09-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Gordman's has a lot of similar stuff as Burlington, often at better prices too. Think there are 3 Gordman's in the Metro, Memorial and Penn; North May (Home Depot area, smaller store than the other 2) and one in Moore (I-35 & 19th street exit area?)

metro
09-29-2010, 07:35 AM
The ones i've been in carry a wide variety of international foods that are hard to find here in OKC. So that's what excites me the most. We found a large painting for our living room at the one in Dallas for not a lot (it would have been $100 more at a similar store in OKC)....good thing it fit in the little saturn I had at the time...barely.

The jewelry is nifty (or so my wife says, i'm not a jewelry fanatic or anything).

Now I would sort of agree on the furniture stuff, it's not really that special, but that's not really why I go there. If you've never been to the Burlington on 240, you should go there. There is a HUGE amount of stuff there at a great price...just like WM and P1, but sometimes a better quality.

But I still want a WM here...LOL!

What type of international stuff have you found at World Market that you can't find here. I haven't noticed anything. Now maybe in OKC you have to go to more than one shop to get it, but we usually have equivalent of what they offer without all the kitchy crap they carry too. My wife and I usually shop there for spices since they are much cheaper than at most places.

bombermwc
09-30-2010, 06:29 AM
That's my point really. I can go to one place and not have to go all around town. I'm already a multi-farmer's market shopper and with 7 month old twins, free time to go galavanting around town to get everything just isn't practical.