View Full Version : Health Sciences Center

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Martin
08-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I know there have been talks of adding 1 additional office building on the southern side of the research park in the short-term.

interesting. would that be on the east or west side of research parkway? -M

G.Walker
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
interesting. would that be on the east or west side of research parkway? -M

It would be on the corner of 4th and Lincoln, directly north and across the street from the new OIPA Headquarters.

HangryHippo
08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I know it's not part of the Center, but is in the area, what's the status on the Embassy Suites? Indefinite hold?

The last bit of news I'd heard was that this has been scrapped.

HangryHippo
08-13-2012, 01:50 PM
It would be on the corner of 4th and Lincoln, directly north and across the street from the new OIPA Headquarters.

I thought PHF was experiencing some vacancy issues and wasn't going to expand for the foreseeable future...? Not trying to call you out/provoke at all, that was just the rumor making the rounds here at HSC.

Martin
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I thought PHF was experiencing some vacancy issues and wasn't going to expand for the foreseeable future...?

i would have thought the same thing... i don't know phf's expansion plans one way or the other but from what i can tell, the place isn't exactly busting at the seams.

-M

G.Walker
08-13-2012, 02:19 PM
That is why I said there has been talks, but nothing officially confirmed. The main reason for the talks was that they have additional parking in the parking garages to support new employees if new office building was developed.

It doesn't have to be busting at the seams for them to consider expanding, it depends how much square feet a new tenant might need. If there is 10,000SF in one building and 10,000SF in another, its not going to help a company needing 50,000SF of office and lab space.

Spartan
08-13-2012, 03:33 PM
i would have thought the same thing... i don't know phf's expansion plans one way or the other but from what i can tell, the place isn't exactly busting at the seams.

-M

True. Biotech in OKC has been faltering since state support for initiatives has dropped, and the financial crisis also hampered people's ability to embark on start-ups and/or relocate headquarters. The point though should be that biotech will have to spark its own momentum, and the best growth plan I can think of for the PHF campus is to partner with a local research university.

lasomeday
09-01-2012, 01:02 PM
With the population of Oklahoma growing and more competition to get into OUHSC and OSU Tulsa Osteo schools, I wonder if OBU, OCU, or SNU have thought about starting a med school. I know in a few other states that med schools have started to pop up. It would be awesome if we could have two or three med schools located downtown. OBU, OCU, and SNU all have nursing schools. I wonder if they could branch in PA, PT, or a full fledged medical school?

Pete
09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
The City of OKC is looking to create a Planned Unit Development for the area just south of the existing Health Sciences Center. OCURA owns many of the lots in the delineated area.

This application is in front of the Planning Commission:

The concept for this planned unit development is to create an area of land that would accommodate the expansion of the Oklahoma Health Center and the
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in a campus setting that provides locations for academic, clinical, hospital, research, office, commercial, limited
technology, industrial uses that do not have adverse impacts on surrounding properties or the environment.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hsc1.jpg

CaptDave
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I bet this neighborhood would become revitalized if we could ever get light rail running from the Santa Fe hub up the NE line. It really isn't too bad now, but a little TOD would be great for this area and the entire corridor. There is a ready made stop at the parking lot located at Lottie Ave and 4th. Then add a street car line on the western edge of the area and it will be poised to be one of the best connected neighborhoods in OKC.

BoulderSooner
09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I bet this neighborhood would become revitalized if we could ever get light rail running from the Santa Fe hub up the NE line. It really isn't too bad now, but a little TOD would be great for this area and the entire corridor. There is a ready made stop at the parking lot located at Lottie Ave and 4th. Then add a street car line on the western edge of the area and it will be poised to be one of the best connected neighborhoods in OKC.

everything west of lottie will be part of the HSC just give it time to grow ...

and this would not be light rail .. it would be heavy rail ...

Pete
09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, the area outlined will be primarily for new health facilities, office buildings, etc.

The little neighborhood south of NE 4th has great potential for residential.

G.Walker
09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
I am a member of 5th Street Missionary Baptist Church, that is located at 801 Northeast 5th Street, and the other cross street is N Phillips Ave. We are directly south of the new Toby Keith development. Its a fairly large and prominent church with the African-American community, and is growing rapidly. I hope they don't try and buy us out and raze my church! But then again, it might help us expand, because we do need a larger church to foster our growth.

CaptDave
09-10-2012, 09:07 AM
everything west of lottie will be part of the HSC just give it time to grow ...

and this would not be light rail .. it would be heavy rail ...

True - good catch.

I hope in the next ten years neighborhoods like this and Core to Shore are filled with new or revitalized neighborhoods. If we could get two or three developers to stop greenfield overbuilding and look at areas like this, I think we would get a rapid increase in available, affordable housing downtown.

CaptDave
09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
I am a member of 5th Street Missionary Baptist Church, that is located at 801 Northeast 5th Street, and the other cross street is N Phillips Ave. We are directly south of the new Toby Keith development. Its a fairly large and prominent church with the African-American community, and is growing rapidly. I hope they don't try and buy us out and raze my church! But then again, it might help us expand, because we do need a larger church to foster our growth.

I hope not too. I think we need to keep neighborhoods intact as much as possible and rebuild around long standing institutions like your church.

G.Walker
09-10-2012, 09:18 AM
It would be great if they did revitalize the neighborhood around my church, it would help property values, and increase our membership. However, we are very crowded right now, so crowded that we currently have an 8:00a and 11:00a worship service on Sundays, and they are looking to start a 3rd worship service at 3:00p! It would be neat if they did offer us money to move, so we could build larger, but somewhere in the same vicinity...

Praedura
09-15-2012, 10:51 AM
wow, I feel dumb, but I didn't know anything about this until I stumbled upon a link today:

Venger Wind Unveils World's Largest Rooftop Wind Farm in Oklahoma City (http://inhabitat.com/venger-wind-unveils-worlds-largest-rooftop-wind-farm-in-oklahoma-city/)

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/08/OMRF-oklahoma-worlds-largest-windfarm-omni-directional-turbines-6.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/08/OMRF-wind-turbines-oklahoma-worlds-largest-wind-farm-1.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/08/OMRF-oklahoma-worlds-largest-windfarm-omni-directional-turbines-3.jpg

Evidently, judging by previous posts on this thread, that OMRF rooftop wind farm was actually built a couple of years ago. But the announcement from the link above was just from a month ago. So I guess that they were testing them for a few years before making the official announcement to the world?

Praedura
09-15-2012, 11:04 AM
neat little video here explaining the idea behind those helical blades

World's largest rooftop wind farm installed in Oklahoma City (http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/71975153/Technology/World-apos-s-largest-rooftop-wind-farm-installed-in-Oklahoma-City)

CaptDave
09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I am very glad to see this type of forward thinking in OKC. I had no idea OMRF had done this - going to go take a look at it soon. I wonder how much it cost for this installation. If the amount of generating capacity is sufficient for 7 average households, would it be affordable for seven average homes? As a proponent of using alternative energy production methods like wind, I hope to see these systems become affordable soon.

lasomeday
09-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I am very glad to see this type of forward thinking in OKC. I had no idea OMRF had done this - going to go take a look at it soon. I wonder how much it cost for this installation. If the amount of generating capacity is sufficient for 7 average households, would it be affordable for seven average homes? As a proponent of using alternative energy production methods like wind, I hope to see these systems become affordable soon.

CaptD. It is hard to see.... you may have to loop around a few times to see it. I think it is easier to see from the north. It is a really cool building!

There are many different technologies out there that are better than this one for smaller sites. This one was more for asthetics.

bombermwc
09-17-2012, 06:25 AM
It is a nifty building, but with all the times i've been down there, i've never seen them actually spinning. After this long, i really thought they would do using them by now.

Just the facts
09-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Venger Wind and US renewable distributor SWG Energy just installed the world’s largest rooftop wind farm atop the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (OMRF) in Oklahoma City. The project saw Venger Wind construct 18 V2 vertical axis wind turbines on the medical center’s roof as part of OMRF’s sustainability strategy to create a zero emissions research tower.

How do people who work in this zero-emissions research tower get there?

HangryHippo
09-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Cars, but that's irrelevant to the research tower being zero emissions.

HangryHippo
09-17-2012, 09:20 AM
wow, I feel dumb, but I didn't know anything about this until I stumbled upon a link today:

Venger Wind Unveils World's Largest Rooftop Wind Farm in Oklahoma City (http://inhabitat.com/venger-wind-unveils-worlds-largest-rooftop-wind-farm-in-oklahoma-city/)

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/08/OMRF-oklahoma-worlds-largest-windfarm-omni-directional-turbines-6.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/08/OMRF-wind-turbines-oklahoma-worlds-largest-wind-farm-1.jpg

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/08/OMRF-oklahoma-worlds-largest-windfarm-omni-directional-turbines-3.jpg

Evidently, judging by previous posts on this thread, that OMRF rooftop wind farm was actually built a couple of years ago. But the announcement from the link above was just from a month ago. So I guess that they were testing them for a few years before making the official announcement to the world?

They just recently, within the last two or three weeks, finished putting these up on the roof. And only one or two of them spin so far.

Bellaboo
09-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Those that live close walk.

HangryHippo
09-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Interesting development here:

OU near deal to buy Presbyterian Health Foundation Research Park | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/ou-near-deal-to-buy-presbyterian-health-foundation-research-park/article/3711923)

okcfollower
09-22-2012, 09:17 AM

OU near deal to buy Presbyterian Health Foundation Research Park | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/ou-near-deal-to-buy-presbyterian-health-foundation-research-park/article/3711923)

Would this have anythign to do with the tweet that OU Medicine released Friday?

"OU Medicine ‏@OUMedicine

Starting Monday, you’ll see an OU Medicine you’ve never seen before. Keep your eyes open and stay tuned to TV, radio and the web. "

Pete
09-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Yes, 700,000 square feet are in those buildings and reportedly they are 90% leased.

I'm not sure if this means some of them will be moved out into private buildings eventually to make room for what OU wants to do...

It's a massive transaction but I'm not sure exactly what it means.

onthestrip
09-25-2012, 07:52 AM

And people wonder why tuition has skyrocketed over the last decade.

Maybe they have a way to reasonably fund this purchase but colleges need to start reigning in their spending.

Pete
09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
In the article, it said the properties are well leased and throw off a positive cash flow.

Also, OU has a pretty massive endowment these days, right around a billion.

onthestrip
09-25-2012, 08:12 AM
In the article, it said the properties are well leased and throw off a positive cash flow.

Also, OU has a pretty massive endowment these days, right around a billion.

You are right that it has to be bringing in some good rent but didnt the article say that some occupants were getting good deals on rent? But even if it has a good income, 700,000sf is a a ton of square feet. And for it being a medical building I just dont see how its not a super expensive buy, unless they are getting a sweetheart deal. And I doubt itd be wise to use a significant portion of their endowment to buy real estate. I guess its hard to say without knowing the particulars but colleges should start slowing the amount of debt they are taking in as they very well could be the next bubble to pop.

Pete
09-25-2012, 08:40 AM
While adding more than $1 billion in capital improvements in the last 10 years or so, OU has at the same time built their endowment to around $1 billion. They started below $200 million.

An endowment is the opposite of debt... It's a principal that can't be touched and throws off investment income that is used to fund professors, scholarships, research and all types of great things.

Almost all their recent capital projects have been funded by private donations, grants, etc.

The tuition has gone up at OU and OSU but only because it was in the stone ages until recently. In-state tuition in Oklahoma is still an incredible bargain compared to elsewhere. In fact, for the larger schools, I think it should be raised further in improve the quality of education in the state. Oklahoma is one of the few states around that lacks a truly top-notch public university and that is holding the entire state back.

HangryHippo
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
While adding more than $1 billion in capital improvements in the last 10 years or so, OU has at the same time built their endowment to around $1 billion. They started below $200 million.

An endowment is the opposite of debt... It's a principal that can't be touched and throws off investment income that is used to fund professors, scholarships, research and all types of great things.

Almost all their recent capital projects have been funded by private donations, grants, etc.

The tuition has gone up at OU and OSU but only because it was in the stone ages until recently. In-state tuition in Oklahoma is still an incredible bargain compared to elsewhere. In fact, for the larger schools, I think it should be raised further in improve the quality of education in the state. Oklahoma is one of the few states around that lacks a truly top-notch public university and that is holding the entire state back.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Oklahoma is one of the few states around that truly lacks a top-notch public university, but that seems flat out wrong unless the only top notch schools are the Ivy schools. OU and OSU aren't Ivy League, but they are far, far from bottom feeders. Both are very good schools that compete with any other school in this region except for probably UT as they benefit from being the flagship in the country's second largest state.

G.Walker
09-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I work in the PHF Research Park, for the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and we take a up majority of building 655. I am sure OU has plans to eventually expand over here, but nothing in the short-term. I will keep OKCTALK updated if I here anything internally.

Pete
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Oklahoma is one of the few states around that truly lacks a top-notch public university, but that seems flat out wrong unless the only top notch schools are the Ivy schools. OU and OSU aren't Ivy League, but they are far, far from bottom feeders. Both are very good schools that compete with any other school in this region except for probably UT as they benefit from being the flagship in the country's second largest state.

I'm not criticizing OU & OSU.

What I'm saying is if you look at where there is dynamic growth, you'll almost always find a Top 50 university or two or twelve. OU & OSU are not even in the top 100.

Great -- not good -- schools drive innovation and jobs.

Since Texas was raised as an example, they have several schools that are considered a class above anything in Oklahoma: UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor and SMU are considered much better and also have great MBA, Law and Medical schools.

I could take this state by state but I think you see my point. Until Oklahoma makes a much bigger commitment to education, OKC and Tulsa will have to succeed with this as an impediment, not a help.

soonerguru
09-25-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm not criticizing OU & OSU.

What I'm saying is if you look at where there is dynamic growth, you'll almost always find a Top 50 university or two or twelve. OU & OSU are not even in the top 100.

Great -- not good -- schools drive innovation and jobs.

Since Texas was raised as an example, they have several schools that are considered a class above anything in Oklahoma: UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor and SMU are considered much better and also have great MBA, Law and Medical schools.

I could take this state by state but I think you see my point. Until Oklahoma makes a much bigger commitment to education, OKC and Tulsa will have to succeed with this as an impediment, not a help.

Pete, I think OU is 101 in the latest US News & World Report. Also, it has been recognized as a Tier One institution for several years now. OSU is also slowly improving its academic reputation.

I do agree with you that this state undervalues education overall, and this is one of the most important thing major employers look at when they're considering location -- as much or more as the tax structure. Also, we have relatively low unemployment, which makes it difficult for companies to fill positions here; they have to seek candidates from out of state. That's why it is important that OKC continue to improve its quality of life amenities, to make it an attractive place for candidates to relocate.

BoulderSooner
09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Pete, I think OU is 101 in the latest US News & World Report. Also, it has been recognized as a Tier One institution for several years now. OSU is also slowly improving its academic reputation.

I do agree with you that this state undervalues education overall, and this is one of the most important thing major employers look at when they're considering location -- as much or more as the tax structure. Also, we have relatively low unemployment, which makes it difficult for companies to fill positions here; they have to seek candidates from out of state. That's why it is important that OKC continue to improve its quality of life amenities, to make it an attractive place for candidates to relocate.

OU is not a tier 1 school ...

Pete
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Yes, OU is #101 and OSU is #139. Tulsa is #83. I don't think they even use the Tier 1 designation anymore and if they did, OU wouldn't be in it.

Here are the rankings -- just of undergraduate programs -- for the Texas schools:

Rice #17
Texas #46
SMU #58
A&M #65
Baylor #77
TCU #92

Pete
09-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Beyond quality of life and outside perception, great universities create and drive INNOVATION, which creates massive amounts of business and jobs.

Most economic growth comes from smaller and mid-sized companies and those are generally home-grown, not seduced from elsewhere.

We need to attract, educate and retain bright minds if we want sustainable and dynamic growth.

soonerguru
09-25-2012, 11:30 AM
OU is not a tier 1 school ...

Here are a couple of quick links. Surprised you didn't know this.

OU makes history by becoming a Tier 1 research institution! - Crimson And Cream Machine (http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/1/31/1966835/ou-makes-history-by-becoming-a-tier-1-research-institution)

Carnegie Classification - Public Affairs - The University of Oklahoma (http://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/CarnegieClassification.html)

soonerguru
09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Yes, OU is #101 and OSU is #139. Tulsa is #83. I don't think they even use the Tier 1 designation anymore and if they did, OU wouldn't be in it.

Here are the rankings -- just of undergraduate programs -- for the Texas schools:

Rice #17
Texas #46
SMU #58
A&M #65
Baylor #77
TCU #92

Actually, they do, although they're more inclusive. Top 75% of institutions receive Tier One status. In 2009, when OU first made Tier One, they had four tiers, and OU was in the top 25%.

soonerguru
09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Beyond quality of life and outside perception, great universities create and drive INNOVATION, which creates massive amounts of business and jobs.

Most economic growth comes from smaller and mid-sized companies and those are generally home-grown, not seduced from elsewhere.

We need to attract, educate and retain bright minds if we want sustainable and dynamic growth.

I agree with you 100%. But there is a disconnect in Oklahoma about what creates business. All the State Chamber and our current GOP overlords ever talk about is worker's comp reform, tax structure, and union busting. While these are factors, your point is a good one. We need more smart people here. Look at what has happened to North Carolina and Austin; it's because they have lots of smart people.

I would argue that OKC is doing a far better job of attracting and retaining young smart people. The only problem is that our industry is too tilted to oil and gas. PHF is a positive factor though, and we do have legislation on the books to allow for technology transfer from universities. OU buying out the research park is a very positive development in my opinion, and could be a game changer.

We really need to diversify our economy here and we need to replace GOP orthodoxy at the state level with a more expansive approach to economic development -- one that favors more investment in higher education. That hasn't happened so far, as the current leadership favors gutting higher education and passing along the costs to students with higher tuition and fees.

Pete
09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I bet a good percentage of those driving innovation in the Carolinas, Seattle, Boston, Silicon Valley and Austin are people that came to school there from outside the immediate area.

You build a great university or two, and bright minds from around the world will flock. And when you get that many smart people together, good things happen, they interact, and start creating businesses and thus jobs where they are.

soonerguru
09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I bet a good percentage of those driving innovation in the Carolinas, Seattle, Boston, Silicon Valley and Austin are people that came to school there from outside the immediate area.

You build a great university of two, and bright minds from around the world will flock. And when you get that many smart people together, good things happen, they interact, and start creating businesses and thus jobs where they are.

Undoubtedly there is much in-migration to those areas. But all of those locales also feature top-flight universities, to illustrate your point.

Wait, I just reread your post. Nevermind.

adaniel
09-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I would argue that OKC is doing a far better job of attracting and retaining young smart people. The only problem is that our industry is too tilted to oil and gas. PHF is a positive factor though, and we do have legislation on the books to allow for technology transfer from universities. OU buying out the research park is a very positive development in my opinion, and could be a game changer.

We really need to diversify our economy here and we need to replace GOP orthodoxy at the state level with a more expansive approach to economic development -- one that favors more investment in higher education. That hasn't happened so far, as the current leadership favors gutting higher education and passing along the costs to students with higher tuition and fees.

Good post.

This state made a HUGE mistake IMO by scuttling the EDGE program. That really had the potential to remake Oklahoma's economy if given a bit more time and funds.

Frankly, there's too many people at the state capitol who think $100 oil is here to stay and are making decisions based on that. The forget the lessons of history at their own peril.

soonerguru
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Good post.

This state made a HUGE mistake IMO by scuttling the EDGE program. That really had the potential to remake Oklahoma's economy if given a bit more time and funds.

Frankly, there's too many people at the state capitol who think $100 oil is here to stay and are making decisions based on that. The forget the lessons of history at their own peril.

Scuttling the Edge program will go down as one of the all-time dumbest moves by this governor and legislature. They're certainly piling up many other dumb ideas to compete. They did this to reduce the state income tax -- and then they failed to reduce the state income tax. Major fail.

proud2Bsooner
10-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't know if it has been posted but OU is purchasing the entire PHF campus. Sorry if it has. I don't think anyone realizes the magnitude of this. In my opinion, medical research is going to make a huge jump at OU. OU's footprint in the area is going to be staggering. There are a host of other opportunities that can follow these types of things. They take time though.

Bellaboo
10-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't know if it has been posted but OU is purchasing the entire PHF campus. Sorry if it has. I don't think anyone realizes the magnitude of this. In my opinion, medical research is going to make a huge jump at OU. OU's footprint in the area is going to be staggering. There are a host of other opportunities that can follow these types of things. They take time though.

Yes, see post #146 from Sept 22.

HangryHippo
10-03-2012, 08:41 AM

I agree. I think this purchase could be a real catalyst in moving medical research forward here at OU.

Pete
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Remember that OU is working with the City to get a huge area just south of the existing HSC rezoned to a PUD, which would allow for a tremendous amount of expansion.

Plus, it will pull the HSC closer to downtown and the 10th Street Medical corridor.

Could mean some very significant job increases and changes in this area.

Skyline
10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Pete,
Do you have a map for this area that highlights the OU properties including the new PHF purchase and the possibility of adding the OCURA land?

BoulderSooner
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Pete,
Do you have a map for this area that highlights the OU properties including the new PHF purchase and the possibility of adding the OCURA land?

ou doesn't own most of the property that is getting rezoned ..

Pete
10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
ou doesn't own most of the property that is getting rezoned ..

No, but they own some and OCURA owns a big chunk and will help acquire the rest.

This was in the SPUD application:

The concept for this planned unit development is to create an area of land that would accommodate the expansion of the Oklahoma Health Center and the
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in a campus setting that provides locations for academic, clinical, hospital, research, office, commercial, limited
technology, industrial uses that do not have adverse impacts on surrounding properties or the environment.

This is the subject area with the tech park OU just bought to the immediate west:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hsc1.jpg

Pete
10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
And here's an overview aerial...

Existing Health Sciences complex in blue, new Planned Unit Development as noted above in yellow, and the research park acquired by OU in pink:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hsc2.jpg

jedicurt
10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
i wonder why they aren't looking at the land from 4th -6th street between stonewall to Lottie.... just seems awkward that there is a corner section missing there

CaptDave
10-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I can envision a Medical District Streetcar circulator for this area in several years. The parking area at the park and Lottie Ave would make an excellent connection to a future light/commuter rail system. Then the Med District circulator would run north on Lottie, to NE 13th, to Lincoln, and back to NE 4th. There could even be a stop on Lincoln where the Med Circulator would share a stop with an extended downtown streetcar system running between the CBD and Capitol.

It may seem insignificant news for now, but I think this medical research area has enormous potential to put OKC on the national and international radar for something other than energy and the Thunder. There is already a pretty good amount research located there now, but this might make it more common knowledge to people outside the medical community.

Pete
10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
And here's a graphic from the HSC Master Plan that shows how they expect the area to grow:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hsc3.jpg

Pete
10-03-2012, 11:16 AM
i wonder why they aren't looking at the land from 4th -6th street between stonewall to Lottie.... just seems awkward that there is a corner section missing there

There is already an urban renewal district established for that area.

Skyline
10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
And here's an overview aerial...

Existing Health Sciences complex in blue, new Planned Unit Development as noted above in yellow, and the research park acquired by OU in pink:

Thanks Pete.

Pete
10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
This is a little dated (2007) but is a great overview of the HSC:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hsc4.jpg