View Full Version : Your Favorite Food Truck

Becka
09-19-2010, 07:42 PM
With the popularity of food trucks lately. I was just curious, who and where is your favorite food truck in OKC and what type of food do they have?

The only one I have tried is Bobo's chicken on NE 23rd/Hood just West of MLK. They have the best chicken and shrimp in OKC (I'm sure most of you know it). Open Friday/Saturday nights, cash only.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1515114/restaurant/Inner-City-Northside/Bobos-Chicken-Oklahoma-City

citizenkane
09-19-2010, 10:36 PM
There's a great taco truck in the parking lot of the D&G Food Mart at the intersection of SW 29th and Indiana. I'm not sure what its name is, though.

aboatman
09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
The Argentino is usually at 16th and N. Classen in the evenings (except Wednesday). Good empinada's and sausage sandwich.

metro
09-20-2010, 08:38 AM
The Argentino is usually at 16th and N. Classen in the evenings (except Wednesday). Good empinada's and sausage sandwich.

Haven't seen it there in weeks. Not sure if they got kicked out or what. I live nearby and drive by almost every night. Their tacos are gross. The one at 10th and May is much better.

EBAH
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
There are SOOO MANY, and most are pretty damned good. I live down the street from an excellent truck at 16th and drexel in front of El Mariachi Super Mercado. I believe it is called Taco Sebilius? It has AWESOME Elote en Vaso, great tacos, great burritos (and wil make them meatless if you wish), as well as the usual Tortas and Quesadillas. The truck in front of Whittakers on NW 10th and May is also fantastic, they have some of the best Carne Asada in the inner NW. I also second the Argentino truck, they make a great empenada. Also, I dont know if this counts, but if you live in a mostly latin neighborhood you may be lucky enough to stumble on the home made snow cone trucks and the roving ice cream bicycle guys. Those are totally awesome too.

Corndog1
03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Does big truck tacos have a truck someplace or is it just the restaurant?

Dustin
03-06-2011, 09:47 AM
^^ they have one and they go EVERYWHERE with it.

OKCNDN
03-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Does big truck tacos have a truck someplace or is it just the restaurant?

Big Truck is overrated. It is more a fastfood truck rather than the homestyle-cooking type that other posters have mentioned here. Big Truck seems more interested in selling t-shirts than improving their menu.

There is a truck on Tulsa and 10th. Great burritos and tacos.

betts
03-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Are there any fairly stationary trucks that sell great tamales? I know of one that moves around but I'm no longer anywhere near its usual haunts.

rcjunkie
03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Are there any fairly stationary trucks that sell great tamales? I know of one that moves around but I'm no longer anywhere near its usual haunts.

there's one on Fri. and Sat. nights at SW 29th & May (SW Corner).

Dustin
03-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Big Truck is overrated.

That is definitely your opinion.. Big Truck Tacos is one of the most innovative restaurants in OKC. The food is great and they constantly have new specials going on to keep things new. Love that place!

BBatesokc
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I go to one on NW 10th in front of a strip bar - Kinda near Hawaiian Don's. Great tacos and burritos.

There are several on SW 29th, west of Robinson. I've tried most - all were pretty decent to really good.

bucktalk
03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Not to get to far off topic here...but....are food trucks subject to health inspectors as restruants are?....have always wondered....

MikeOKC
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I remember Hot Pizza trucks in the 60's and early 70's. They would drive around the neighborhoods in the fall and winter, much like Popsicle trucks in the summer. They also sold hot chocolate. Not to go with the pizza necessarily, just another hot item on colder days.

onthestrip
03-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Not to get to far off topic here...but....are food trucks subject to health inspectors as restruants are?....have always wondered....

Yes. As far as I know they have to licensed and are inspected. Or theyre supposed to be at least.

Prunepicker
03-06-2011, 08:47 PM
There are a couple at N.W. 23rd and N. Ann Arbor that are
excellent. The one I really like has a name that starts with
an S and has fabulous beef, bean and rice burrito.
I don't remember the name.

BBatesokc
03-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Heath Dept page regarding food trucks.... http://www.cchdoc.com/community/consumer-health/mobile-food-service-establishment

Here's a Journal Record article.... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20100811/ai_n54835403/

Check your favorite truck or restaurants inspections here... https://www.phin.state.ok.us/Inspections/index.aspx

duct tape
03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Wow, I need to get out more; I've only ever seen taco trucks. I'll be looking for Bobo's Chicken now. Is there any other type of restaurant on wheels you guys have tried?

SoonerQueen
03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
My husband loves Bobo's chicken. I'm not really too much into fried foods, but it is really good chicken.

Corndog1
03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Got some family in the hospital and have been doing lots of visiting in the evenings. Always looking for trucks to go hit 9-11pm after I leave. Any suggestions on places I should go for a good late night fast meal? Did Bobos and Big Truck Tacos the last couple weekends. Any others? I tried Coits the other night, but got there just in time for them to flip off the open sign, maybe next weekend.

Prunepicker
03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Wow, I need to get out more; I've only ever seen taco trucks. I'll
be looking for Bobo's Chicken now. Is there any other type of
restaurant on wheels you guys have tried?
Bobo's is good! Worth a trip. Wings and things should be your
first order.

blangtang
03-08-2011, 10:32 PM
There is a food truck called Po' Boys. It is located east of the capitol on 23rd on the south side of the street. Or it was last weekend on saturday night. they have catfish, shrimp, fried chicken and i think alligator amongst other things on the menu.

metro
03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Wow, I need to get out more; I've only ever seen taco trucks. I'll be looking for Bobo's Chicken now. Is there any other type of restaurant on wheels you guys have tried?

Korean bbq tacos, pops 66 has a truck, bobos chicken, big truck tacos, and lately I've seen a sandwich one going around construction sites.

BBatesokc
03-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Metro - wasn't there an article somewhere about a Korean BBQ taco truck in downtown OKC? A couple that moved here from California or something like that. I've yet to find the truck. Any info?

Also, there is a truck that has started parking at a Shell station on the NW corner of SW 44 and S. Walker Ave. - Norma's Grill. Anyone tried it?

Joe Kimball
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not metro, but I found a New York Times article dated July 27 of last year which states that their Twitter feed was last updated the previous March, thus drawing the conclusion that they ceased to trade.

They were decent tacos; I'd have them again if they showed up. Think of spare rib flavor and cilantro and you begin to approach the idea of them.

OKCMallen
03-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Big Truck is overrated. It is more a fastfood truck rather than the homestyle-cooking type that other posters have mentioned here. Big Truck seems more interested in selling t-shirts than improving their menu.

There is a truck on Tulsa and 10th. Great burritos and tacos.

I don't know man. That Guardian taco is worth the money, IMO!

Corndog1
03-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know anything about that Po'Boy place that was metioned? That sounds interesting.

Brett
03-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Senor Elotes sets up shop in the parking lot of Coker's Auto Repair on the north side of SW 29th between S. Linn and S. Villa. Elotes is corn on the cob which they do sell when corn on the cob is in season. Esquites is cut corn served in a cup which is the type they sell year round. The corn is seasoned with mayo, cheese, chili and lime. They do sell hand made tamales which are also delicious.

metro
03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Brett, that sounds bomb, when are they typically there? Also, do they have cheese tamales?

Prunepicker
03-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Also, do they have cheese tamales?
Cheese tamales? That's a new one for me. I'll have to give that a try.

metro
03-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Cheese tamales? That's a new one for me. I'll have to give that a try.

Yeah Mexican cheese and jalapeņo tamales are staples, but hard to find good ones locally.

kevinpate
03-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah Mexican cheese and jalapeņo tamales are staples, but hard to find good ones locally.

Check out http://www.okctamales.com/menu_details
See a review at: http://www.eataroundokc.com/tamales-shady-restaurant-of-the-month/

corwin1968
03-25-2011, 07:54 AM
I read a lot of raving reviews for Big Truck Tacos here but when I finally got to try it I was NOT impressed at all.

There is a chicken truck that sits in the parking lot of a convenience store at SW 29th & May and they are FANTASTIC. They also have a brick-and-mortar restaurant just north of Grand on Western, in an old Taco Bell building.

I've eaten from a burrito truck on SW 29th in the Kentucky/Indiana area and it was quite good.

Martin
03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
There is a chicken truck that sits in the parking lot of a convenience store at SW 29th & May and they are FANTASTIC. They also have a brick-and-mortar restaurant just north of Grand on Western, in an old Taco Bell building.

that's regio loco... and i totally agree that they're good. -M

Corndog1
03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Anyone know about Normas Grill? I have seen it most evenings on 44th and Walker at a gas station.

corwin1968
03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
that's regio loco... and i totally agree that they're good. -M

Yep, that's the one. Also, I drove by the other day and it's a trailer rather than the truck I described.

Corndog1
06-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Its pretty weather. Any new trucks I need to hit this summer? Still never found that PoBoy truck by the capitol, if anyone ever sees it let me know. Is Bobos open right now, going to try and hit it this week or is it a weekend only spot?

BoulderSooner
06-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Its pretty weather. Any new trucks I need to hit this summer? Still never found that PoBoy truck by the capitol, if anyone ever sees it let me know. Is Bobos open right now, going to try and hit it this week or is it a weekend only spot?

bobos is only of friday and sat night .. from 8ish to 3ish .. parking lot at 23rd and Hood

Corndog1
06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew I had seen it several times, dont guess i realized it was only on weekends. Any other suggestions of good ones to hit during the week. Got a freind in town and he likes some late night eats at good food trucks.

Jersey Boss
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Any Ice Cream Truck

Prunepicker
06-06-2011, 07:32 PM
bobos is only of friday and sat night .. from 8ish to 3ish .. parking lot
at 23rd and Hood
That's N.E. 23rd and east of Lottie in a vacant lot. Sometimes as
early as 7pm.

metro
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
You don't see big truck or Pops truck our much anymore, and the Korean tacos truck vanished

Achilleslastand
06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Some of the roach coaches that used to hit the produce market years ago had some pretty good chow. Also used to be a couple of guys that would pedal around on their bicycle and sell homemade burritos out of the little igloo icechest they had on back.

onthestrip
06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
You don't see big truck or Pops truck our much anymore, and the Korean tacos truck vanished

I don't consider BTT a true food truck. They only seem to do private events or some special engagement. I haven't seen them out late at night, ever. If you don't have your truck open at 10pm in some busy public location then you aren't a true food truck

positano
06-07-2011, 01:57 PM
BTT was in front of the county courthouse today at lunch. Line averaged about 10 people deep.

kevinpate
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
BTT was in front of the county courthouse today at lunch. Line averaged about 10 people deep.

I would think BTT, or anyone who offered up at least one step above blah for that matter, could do very well on any given weekday outside the courthouse.

positano
06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I certainly haven't seen it every time, but the times I've seen that Pops truck at the courthouse it never seems to have many customers. I tried it once - won't again.