View Full Version : Tulsa #2 , OKC #3 in Least Underwater Areas

cdbthunder
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
More good news for Oklahoma.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39062008/ns/business-real_estate/

CuatrodeMayo
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I didn't realize Tulsa has a "strong transit system". A lot must have changed since I last visited...

Laramie
09-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Great News!

Great Find, cdbthunder! I just wish that had showed a greater view of downtown and not the armpit side!

The news is what's important though. Thanks!

BG918
09-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Good publicity for both cities.

Saw this as well, Tulsa and OKC part of the "21 strongest metro areas" for employment change, unemployment rate, gross metropolitan product and housing prices.

http://www.brookings.edu/metro/MetroMonitor/overall_performance/overall.aspx

UnFrSaKn
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
I seriously thought this thread had something to do with scuba diving...

cdbthunder
09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Great News!

Great Find, cdbthunder! I just wish that had showed a greater view of downtown and not the armpit side!

The news is what's important though. Thanks!

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed what a crappy pic of downtown.

Richard at Remax
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
housing prices are good but too bad none of them are selling.

TulsaRobert
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
We have a fairly efficient public bus system, and quite a few private (mostly event- and bar-driven) pedi-cabs and trollies, even if it isn't utilized as much as I'd like. Additionally, our highway system ensure that you can get anywhere in Tulsa pretty quickly without too much congestion, and we also have some major bike trails throughout the city. Ceretianly, I'd like to see more light rail and other options (such as high-speed rail between the two metro areas with light rail serving the cities themselves) available as well, but our transportation system is far from weak.

I'd agree that their choice of picture for OKC wasn't spectacular. There are MUCH prettier views of downtown OKC than the one shown. I've always liked the skyline view of OKC coming toward the city on I-44 from Tulsa. But, maybe that's just because I find the drive between Tulsa and OKC rather tedious, especially when there is construction that constricts traffic down to one lane. :-p

dmoor82
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
More good news for Oklahoma.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39062008/ns/business-real_estate/

I see that OKC's Median Home price is highers than Tulsa's but I always thought Tulsa had a higher Median Home price?

Spartan
09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
No, Tulsa has slightly higher avg incomes but actually has a slightly lower cost of living. A lot of small Midwestern cities like Akron, Toledo, Sioux City, Evansville, etc also have a shockingly low cost of living even compared to OKC, which is just one of the lowest among major cities.

I didn't realize Tulsa has a "strong transit system". A lot must have changed since I last visited...

Yeah, their transit system is about as big-time as our life sciences and IT sectors.. if you want to compare each city's blurb here.

Doug Loudenback
09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
That's nothing. Oklahoma City ranks 8th on the "Hotbeds of Sex List" ... see http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-ranks-8-on-hotbeds-of-sex-list/article/3494555?custom_click=masthead_topten

adaniel
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
That's nothing. Oklahoma City ranks 8th on the "Hotbeds of Sex List" ... see http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-ranks-8-on-hotbeds-of-sex-list/article/3494555?custom_click=masthead_topten

Ooh la la!

Not sure so if I understand the crtieria, does this mean nothing more than OKC has a lot of STD's and people who don't believe in condoms or safe sex?

Oh, and I'm shocked the Oklahoman didn't disable comments! That alone is going to be one entertaining train wreck!

My apologies for throwing this thread off topic.

Doug Loudenback
09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
It could, just possibly, mean nothing more than the fact that you, I, and Spartan live here (even though I know that's just wishful thinking on my part).

Spartan
09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Just trying to do my part to pitch in! Although it's too bad, because combining the results of these surveys, I can conclude that we're not having that much underwater sex.

As for the comment section, I am actually astounded at the bonehead non-funny comments. This pretty much sums it all up:

"More sexually active, more diseases... Not necessarily a good thing. And Henry, this hasn't been an "Abstinence only" state for years, the liberals have made sure of that. Thank the liberal culture that's being created and wanting humans to behave like animals and start having sex with multiple people at age 12 (see Britain for example). Thank you social liberals."

Huh? That's Danny from Tulsa, who obviously isn't getting any because his city ranks 30 spots lower than us.

OKC@heart
09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Love that both Tulsa and Okc performed so highly in this study! Have to agree probably one of the crappiest shots I have seen of the city! I have to wonder if whomever was doing the selection of the images had an axe to grind with the city...I mean if you look at it verses any of the others showcased they all well composed and flattering shots. Not ours...it was as if they took another photo and cropped it out so as to look uncomfortable, and run down. From a designers perspective how you frame or present an image can effect a persons response to it on a psychological level as well, I mean it virtually conceals some of the best buildings of the skyline and showcases AT&T's building for heck's sake!

Like I said I am grateful for the exposure, however an image like that can almost undo any net gain had by the positives outlined in the written summary.

HOT ROD
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
In all fairness, Tulsa's shot wasn't very flattering either, nor was Pitt.

but yes, I agree they could have used a much better but still neutral shot of OKC's skyline than that near Northwest crop. ....

MikeOKC
09-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Top 10 Cities That Watch The CW Network PrimeTime On Tuesday Nights Between 7pm and 10pm - When It's Raining Outside & There's a Full Moon.
(Okay, kidding about this list - but nothing would surprise me anymore.)